PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Building a Powerful Theurge

AlanBruce
2015-10-31, 05:40 AM
Greetings! In my current campaign, the party, which is fairly high level, will most likely be teaming up with some equally powerful clerics from different faiths to dethrone a tyrant in a big city.

I have already built the other clerics, but one has me scratching my head regarding what to gear her with.

Mind you, I did an ad hoc ruling because this priestess is the High Cleric of the Church of Trade in Greyhawk and,, being in a very big city, she has a lot more money than an NPC ought to have.

True Neutral Magic Blooded Human Cloistered Cleric 3 / Wizard 3 / Mystic Theurge 10/ Cloistered Cleric 4

I wanted to keep the build simple... or as simple as can be.

Str 10

Dex 15

Con 15

Int 22

Wis 24

Cha 16

Practiced Spellcaster (Wizard)

Arcane Disciple (Trickery)

Chain Spell

Collegiate Wizard

Alternative Spell Source

Empower Spell

Craft Wondrous Items

Sculpt Spell

Domains: Pact, Travel, Knowledge & Trickery

Wealth: 1,760,000 gp

All 3.5 sources are available and I am open to ideas on feat changes and definitely on gear, since she is regarded in the City as the most powerful cleric amongst the NPC high priests, mostly because her church controls Trade and so, she gets a nice cut out of all sales made.

The idea is that this priestess is always prepared and has the right tool for the job- usually in the form of a magic item or the right spell. I know that having access to 9th level cleric spells makes her already very powerful, but her wizard side she would cast up to 7ths (which is a lot already, I know), so if you could please give me ideas on how to make her truly stand out from the other clerics in the city, since each has their own schtick already, I would be most grateful.

If you have ideas for better feats, a nice wizard spell selection and gear, I would be most grateful.

Thank you in advance.

noob
2015-10-31, 05:59 AM
Do you do early entry cheese?
It have a CL of only 13 in wizard and so does not have ninth level spells and will still delay of three levels its priest progression so I believe it is not as good as a pure cleric unless you have low level wizards spells you want to cast but then there is an ACF for choosing some wizard spells and getting the ability to cast them(replace one domain but you get the list of you choice).
Did you through of many spells a priest can not cast a wizard can or do you have less than 20?

AlanBruce
2015-10-31, 06:11 AM
Thank you for the suggestions!

I would rather not go into early entry cheese (giving her so much WBL is cheesy enough in my book), and I would like to keep the build as is, since she has arcane casting, but her main thing is being a cleric.

My problem is finding any feats that would be best for her current build, ACFs, if possible (although the idea of her having a familiar is attractive), and what to do with all that money.

noob
2015-10-31, 06:21 AM
The ring of spellbattle pwns get as many as you can(two)(or make them slotless bonus effects on your rings) except if you know something better than redirecting opponent spells.
Then I remember a super costly ring of major fortification which worked like the enchantment on an armor.
After that do not forget to make your caster wish for an item of SR of 40(costs 280.000 PO but is helpful(the CL is very high but wish does not needs you to fill the CL requirement for wishing for an item the only restriction is the cost of each improvement))

Rubik
2015-10-31, 06:27 AM
You would make a much more powerful "cleric" if you went domain wizard or beguiler and took full levels in radiant servant. Or you could be an ardent 10/thrallherd 10 (using the two ACFs in the Mind's Eye), taking the Magic Mantle and whatever others you want, and having a StP erudite thrall with all the arcane and divine-as-arcane spells available, and who has used Psychic Chirurgery to give all of them to you. Or you could "theurge" using archivist, who has his prayerbook and lots of arcane and divine spells.

Theurging just isn't generally a good idea.

Alternately, wizard/prestige bard/sublime chord/ur priest/mystic theurge, using the non-evil variant and refluffing ur priest as simply being one who has special favor from his god, and so gets a lot more power from him, similar to the Chosen of Mystra.