PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Soul Lantern (Magic Item)

Zaydos
2015-10-31, 12:13 PM
Soul Lantern
Price: 20,000 GP
Body Slot: – (held)
Caster Level: 13th.
Aura: Necromancy and Evocation
Activation: – and standard (command)
Weight: 3 lbs.

This handheld lantern made from a carven pumpkin, gives an eerie and uneven light.

This lantern made from a carven pumpkin bears a candle within it. This candle will not light from traditional fire. When the lantern is placed next to a creature which has died within the last 5 rounds, and its command word spoken it will cause the creature’s soul to be sucked into the lantern. The soul will remain trapped in the lantern until it is destroyed or a Wish or Miracle spell is used to release it from the lantern. When a lantern has a soul within it the candle within bursts into light, producing a flame based upon the creature’s alignment and hit dice. If the creature had 2 or less Intelligence it is a regular candle flame producing light as a torch. Otherwise it produces bright light out to 20 ft plus 5 ft per hit die of the trapped soul, and is golden if they were LG, pure white if they were NG, silver if they were CG, blue if they were Lawful Neutral, yellow if they were True Neutral, prismatic if they were Chaotic Neutral, green if they were Lawful Evil, purple if they were Neutral Evil, and blood red if they were Chaotic Evil. Once the lantern has had a soul placed within it, it cannot be removed without destroying the lantern or powerful magic on the scale of a wish spell.

Once the lantern has a soul within it, it must be moved for at least 7 hours at night each week. If a week passes and it has not been moved for at least 7 hours during night hours that week it is destroyed. It must be directly carried by a creature; being within an extradimensional space or on a vehicle does not count (though if carried by a creature within the space/on the vehicle that movement may still count).

Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, magic jar, trap the soul, or soul bind.

Cost to Create: 10,000 GP, 800 XP, and 20 days.

nonsi
2015-11-01, 12:22 AM
Once I have a lantern with a soul inside - what do I do with it?

Zaydos
2015-11-01, 12:37 AM
Once I have a lantern with a soul inside - what do I do with it?

Take it for a walk 1/week so it doesn't get destroyed. The main purpose is to trap the soul. Probably should drop the price, since... I am wondering how I priced it so high (it's a worse Soul Bind and a functioning scroll of soul bind is cheaper).

ComatosePhoenix
2015-11-01, 08:27 PM
Take it for a walk 1/week so it doesn't get destroyed. The main purpose is to trap the soul. Probably should drop the price, since... I am wondering how I priced it so high (it's a worse Soul Bind and a functioning scroll of soul bind is cheaper).

Use it as a required material for summoning/binding a Headless Horseman:smallbiggrin:

Debihuman
2015-11-02, 12:49 AM
It's actually Necromancy or Conjuration (Summoning). Both magic jar and soul bind are necromancy and trap the soul is conjuration (summoning).

Debby