PDA

View Full Version : Raising DCs of Magic Items in 3.5/PF

g3taso
2015-10-31, 01:12 PM
Some magic items are great, but others suck because the DCs just aren't high enough. I am aware that Heighten Spell can raise the DC of magic items, but I'd prefer to go one better.

Are there any feats or other means to raise the DCs further? I'd love to be able to use my spellcasting attribute, for example. Can you help me out?

sleepyphoenixx
2015-10-31, 01:28 PM
Enhance Item does what you want, but only for items that you've crafted yourself with one specific item creation feat.
It's in the Epic Level Handbook (p. 114) but not an epic feat.

Shalist
2015-10-31, 03:22 PM
Note that the feat -adds- your ability modifier on top of the item's existing DC, rather than recalculating it from scratch or some such, which is more awesome and straightforward than I once thought.

Also note that if you apply it to one of those Eberron cost reducing feats (legendary / exceptional / extraordinary artisan), enhance item would then apply to all items you create.

And while obviously not RAI, you could even apply enhance item multiple times, i.e.

Enhance item: (Enhance item: (Enhance item: (Legendary artisan))).

edit: I misread the feat; the 1st paragraph mentions 'adjusting the DC by your modifier,' but the 2nd paragraph makes it clear that this adjustment does replace the ordinary DC, rather than simply stack on top of it.

g3taso
2015-10-31, 06:31 PM
Pop that on the Staff I am creating, and I can add my own ability modifier twice!

Florian
2015-10-31, 06:40 PM
Pathfinder:

Staves always use your relevant stats, feats and level.
Scrolls can be upgrades using the cypher feat chain and prc.