PDA

View Full Version : Player Help A Quicker Way to Level?

Bloodzy
2015-10-31, 02:39 PM
Hey guys,

I am just a player that has a tough time when I level up. It's one of my favorite parts of D&D, being able to further develop your character and improve it. However, how do I do this quickly? Is there a template written up that helps you quickly find the stats that are involved with each of your level ups?

I'm currently level 8 going to 9.
My class is a Paladin, this: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?193554-Project-Heretica-not-just-a-Paladin-retooling

Thanks in advance,
Bloodzy

eggynack
2015-10-31, 02:56 PM
I dunno about that, but the whole thing isn't all that tricky when you get used to it. The only thing that isn't just directly listed on the stat block is the feat you pick up from hitting 9th, and along with the one spell known you pick up, and I suppose skill point distribution, it looks like that's all of your choices at this level. Apart from that, you just do the standard stuff you do each level. You add those special abilities to your special abilities list, you roll for HD, you add a point of BAB and a point of reflex save, and unless I'm missing something weird about this class, you're done. Most of that is pretty rote, and given how little time it took for me to write it up, I can't imagine the time investment being massive when you're putting the stuff into your character sheet.

Bloodzy
2015-10-31, 02:58 PM
I dunno about that, but the whole thing isn't all that tricky when you get used to it. The only thing that isn't just directly listed on the stat block is the feat you pick up from hitting 9th, and along with the one spell known you pick up, and I suppose skill point distribution, it looks like that's all of your choices at this level. Apart from that, you just do the standard stuff you do each level. You add those special abilities to your special abilities list, you roll for HD, you add a point of BAB and a point of reflex save, and unless I'm missing something weird about this class, you're done. Most of that is pretty rote, and given how little time it took for me to write it up, I can't imagine the time investment being massive when you're putting the stuff into your character sheet.

That was extremely fast. Ha, yeah. I'm just a bit new so I put my nose in books for an hour to figure out what you did in 5 seconds lol. Thanks for the quick response

eggynack
2015-10-31, 03:01 PM
That was extremely fast. Ha, yeah. I'm just a bit new so I put my nose in books for an hour to figure out what you did in 5 seconds lol. Thanks for the quick response
Well, you mostly just need to know that stat points are added every fourth level, and that feats are added at first and then every third level starting at three. I don't think anything else requires much in the way of digging.

GilesTheCleric
2015-10-31, 03:02 PM
I find it easiest to do all level-ups before the game starts. Make a build level 1-20, save each level as its own sheet in a spreadsheet, then duplicate the document and use the duplicate for table play. Update the duplicate with changes from the table each time you level (items, unexpected stat changes, buffs), or even keep all that data separate so that you don't need to update the sheet at all.

It's much easier to keep just two-three books open for a few hours while you run through all of the leveling-up maths than to pull them out each time you level at the table, I find.

Bloodzy
2015-10-31, 03:06 PM
I find it easiest to do all level-ups before the game starts. Make a build level 1-20, save each level as its own sheet in a spreadsheet, then duplicate the document and use the duplicate for table play. Update the duplicate with changes from the table each time you level (items, unexpected stat changes, buffs), or even keep all that data separate so that you don't need to update the sheet at all.

It's much easier to keep just two-three books open for a few hours while you run through all of the leveling-up maths than to pull them out each time you level at the table, I find.

Very interesting. I like that idea. Thanks for your input!

KillianHawkeye
2015-10-31, 04:20 PM

Rather than keeping multiple copies of your entire character sheet for every future level (seriously, the OP is asking for things to help save time!), I would suggest just making a list in advance of what gets added from every level up.

For example, a single line for each level in your build that has a space for the relevant class and class level you're taking, whether or not you're gaining a new feat or ability score increase, and then spots for BAB and Base Save increases, Hit Die size, and number of skill points gained. You can use whatever room is left on the line to note new class features or bonus feats or number of new spell slots/spells known/power points/et cetera you gain. And the best part is it all fits on a single sheet of paper.

Jormengand
2015-10-31, 04:53 PM
Rather than keeping multiple copies of your entire character sheet for every future level (seriously, the OP is asking for things to help save time!), I would suggest just making a list in advance of what gets added from every level up.

For example, a single line for each level in your build that has a space for the relevant class and class level you're taking, whether or not you're gaining a new feat or ability score increase, and then spots for BAB and Base Save increases, Hit Die size, and number of skill points gained. You can use whatever room is left on the line to note new class features or bonus feats or number of new spell slots/spells known/power points/et cetera you gain. And the best part is it all fits on a single sheet of paper.

Here's one I made earlier (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19519772&postcount=46), as an example:

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills

Feats
Class Features

1st
Paladin of Tyranny 1 (UA)
+1
+2
+0
+0
Concentration 4 Ride 5

Mounted Combat

Aura of evil, detect good, smite good 1/day

2nd
Paladin of Tyranny 2
+2
+3
+0
+0
Concentration 5 Ride 6

-

Divine grace, deadly touch

3rd
Paladin of Tyranny 3
+3
+3
+1
+1
Concentration 6 Ride 7

Ride-by attack

Debilitating aura, divine health

4th
Paladin of Tyranny 4
+4
+4
+1
+1
Concentration 7 Ride 8

-

Rebuke undead

5th
Paladin of Tyranny 5
+5
+4
+1
+1
Concentration 8 Ride 9

-

Smite good 2/day, Special mount

6th
Paladin of Tyranny 6
+6
+5
+2
+2
Concentration 9 Ride 10

Battle Blessing (CC)
Cause disease 1/week

7th
Paladin of Tyranny 7
+7
+5
+2
+2
Concentration 10 Ride 11

-

-

8th
Paladin of Tyranny 8
+8
+6
+2
+2
Concentration 11 Ride 12

-

-

9th
Paladin of Tyranny 9
+9
+6
+3
+3
Concentration 12 Ride 13

Spirited Charge

Cause disease 2/week

10th
Paladin of Tyranny 10
+10
+7
+3
+3
Concentration 13 Ride 14

-

Smite good 3/day

11th
Paladin of Tyranny 11
+11
+7
+3
+3

Concentration 14 Ride 15

-

-

12th
Paladin of Tyranny 12
+12
+8
+4
+4
Concentration 15 Ride 16

Practiced Spellcaster (CA/CD)

Cause disease 3/week

13th
Paladin of Tyranny 13
+13
+8
+4
+4
Concentration 16 Ride 17

-

-

14th
Paladin of Tyranny 14
+14
+9
+4
+4
Concentration 17 Ride 18

-

-

15th
Paladin of Tyranny 15
+15
+9
+5
+5
Concentration 18 Ride 19

Power Attack

Cause disease 4/week, smite good 4/day

16th
Paladin of Tyranny 16
+16
+10
+5
+5
Concentration 19 Ride 20

-

-

17th
Paladin of Tyranny 17
+17
+10
+5
+5
Concentration 20 Ride 21

-

-

18th
Paladin of Tyranny 18
+18
+11
+6
+6
Concentration 21 Ride 22

Cleave

Cause disease 5/week

19th
Paladin of Tyranny 19
+19
+11
+6
+6
Concentration 22 Ride 23

-

-

20th
Paladin of Tyranny 20
+20
+12
+6
+6
Concentration 23 Ride 24

-

Smite good 5/day

Aaaaand a wolf. Fortunately the 2 bonus HD instantly advance it to large size, so it can actually carry Noone. If you're having trouble convincing yourself that works, it can have a dire wolf instead, but that would be really powerful. Not that Hinjo cared.

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

5th-7th
Animal 4
+3
+6
+5
+4
Hide +2, Listen +3, Move Silently +5, Spot +3, Survival +1
Track, Weapon Focus (bite), Iron Will
Empathic link, improved evasion, share spells, share saving throws

8th-10th
Animal 6
+4
+7
+6
+5
Hide +2, Listen +3, Move Silently +7, Spot +3, Survival +1
Track, Weapon Focus (bite), Iron Will, Improved Natural Attack (bite)
Improved speed

11th-14th
Animal 8
+6
+8
+7
+5
Hide +2, Listen +3, Move Silently +9, Spot +3, Survival +1
Track, Weapon Focus (bite), Iron Will, Improved Natural Attack (bite)
Command creatures of its kind

15th-20th
Animal 10
+7
+9
+8
+6
Hide +2, Listen +3, Move Silently +11, Spot +3, Survival +1
Track, Weapon Focus (bite), Iron Will, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Improved Natural Attack (Claw)
Spell resistance

rrwoods
2015-11-01, 02:38 AM
There is a page in the player's handbook that tells you what to do when you level (I don't remember the page number at the moment). With that as a guide, leveling your character should take roughly five minutes, plus whatever time it takes to make actual decisions about what you want (like spell selection, skill point allocation, and feat selection).

EDIT: when I'm not away from my books I'll dig up the page number.

EDIT EDIT: or Curmudgeon will get there for me! Use those pages, they're seriously easier than trying to remember everything (you won't remember everything). I also don't recommend leveling your character to 20 for a newbie, honestly, it's daunting and unnecessary. Also it can take the excitement out of the process!

Curmudgeon
2015-11-01, 02:43 AM
There is a page in the player's handbook that tells you what to do when you level (I don't remember the page number at the moment).
The Level Advancement sequence is detailed on pages 58-59.