PDA

View Full Version : Trick or Treaters

Talion
2015-10-31, 08:19 PM
How many trick or treaters have you gotten today? And, perhaps as importantly, what are you giving out?

Current count (still early where I am): 12

Giving out: Motley assortment of Snickers, Kit-Kats, Twizzlers, Almond Joys, and Sweet-Tarts.

Traab
2015-10-31, 08:29 PM
Got a small number of fairly large groups. Like, 6-10 at a time showing up. Snickers, reeses peanut butter cups, milky way, kit kats, twix, m&ms peanut and regular, nestle crunch and almond joys. (Its a big bag of mixed stuff) Gave away the almond joys and crunchs first, I dont like them at all. :p Its a rule at my house, you have to hand out candy till they stop coming, but once they do stop, you get to keep whats left.

Bobbybobby99
2015-10-31, 08:40 PM
Six trick or treaters total. One Hershey bar for each, one small MnM packet, one little Kit-Kat, and one Reese's Pieces.

comicshorse
2015-10-31, 08:46 PM
Nine total, three groups of three
Giving away mini mars bars, a collection of various chooclate bars and sherbet dip lollipops

Insane Trystane
2015-10-31, 09:16 PM
Zero trick-or-treaters. None. Nada. So we get all these Snickers/Milky Ways/Smarties for ourselves. :D

Voxx
2015-11-01, 01:24 AM
Around 100 but I live in a neighborhood with young families so alot of little kids. Just giving out assorted candy

Peelee
2015-11-01, 08:58 AM
3 groups, between 3 to 5 per group. We had some earlier, apparently, but were doing a 501st troop at Boo at the Zoo before it got rained out (rain may also have hindered trick or treaters in our neighborhood) - the candy bowl we put out had a significant dent in it.

Gave out gaping handfuls of gummy eyeballs, gummy body parts, skull-and-bone shaped Sweet Tarts, and later on, tossed some Fun-Dip in the mix.

First trick or treating at our new house, so we were excited for it.

Eldan
2015-11-01, 09:11 AM
Never seen any, but then, Halloween is a really new thing around here. I did however have to scrape eggs of my balcony and walls for an hour. A friend in the police tells me in the city, they had the usual smashed cars and burning trash cans.

Yeah, around here, Halloween is an excuse for either
a) teenagers and 20-somethings going to parties
a) teenagers and 20-somethings destroying things while wearing masks

FinnLassie
2015-11-01, 09:21 AM
We only get kids whining for easter eggs on Palm Sunday. :smalltongue:

... though, some oddballs have the guts to attempt a bit of trick or treatin', but as far as I know, there really isn't any success. Oh thank you, American culture, blasting yourself everywhere. :smalltongue:

Peelee
2015-11-01, 09:24 AM
Oh thank you, American culture, blasting yourself everywhere. :smalltongue:

America is really good at letting people know about America!

Duck999
2015-11-01, 09:34 AM
I decided to try out this (http://immerduck.tumblr.com/post/132053897794/tastefullyoffensive-the-most-amazing-halloween), which got some fun reactions. I gave smarties out.

Taet
2015-11-01, 01:22 PM
We did not even see the kids that I know live on this suburb street. :smallfrown: Six. That was all. Not even any teenagers later. Not much costume work either. I saw only one kid with face paint and I gave him a compliment on his duct tape covered shoes. Someone there tried at least. I have no idea what he was going for though with bright blue feet.

Crow
2015-11-01, 01:26 PM
We didn't get any trick-or-treaters. Everyone takes their kids to the mall or one of the 3 neighborhoods that everyone else takes their kids. Fricking lame.

Manga Shoggoth
2015-11-01, 02:04 PM
One.

And they were the ones who ignored the "No Trick or Treats" notice on the door.

AdmiralCheez
2015-11-01, 05:42 PM
We got 37, and apparently way overestimated our candy needs, so now I have all these life saver gummies, sour patch kids, kit kats, snickers, milky way, 3 musketeers, junior mints, and m&m's all to myself!

I'll probably take in some to work, because there's no way I'll eat it all in a reasonable time frame at home.

TechnOkami
2015-11-01, 06:39 PM
My mom and I count every year.

We had 118 yesterday.

Drakeburn
2015-11-01, 08:08 PM
One.

I put up a "Sorry, No Candy Here" sign, and got zero trick or treaters.

It seems like my family (minus my sister) aren't into Halloween very much.

Duck999
2015-11-01, 08:17 PM
We didn't get any trick-or-treaters. Everyone takes their kids to the mall or one of the 3 neighborhoods that everyone else takes their kids. Fricking lame.

Maybe if you built a small shed and set it up in one of the 3 neighborhoods with a sign on the door that says "please knock" or "candy" You would get trick or treaters at your shed.

Crow
2015-11-02, 03:01 AM
Maybe if you built a small shed and set it up in one of the 3 neighborhoods with a sign on the door that says "please knock" or "candy" You would get trick or treaters at your shed.

Or law enforcement.

Errata
2015-11-02, 03:12 AM
I've never seen a single trick or treater anywhere near my current neighborhood, sadly. The first couple of years I optimistically bought candy, but now I just turn the lights off in the front of the house. It's a nice neighborhood, but it's a long cul-de-sac with spaced out homes, each one up a hill, so it's a lot of walking for little ones. Just a few blocks away are very flat neighborhoods with densely packed houses and small front yards, so it's a much more efficient ratio of candy to effort. Also kids in general don't seem to trick or treat as much anymore. A lot of them go to "safe" alternative events.

Peelee
2015-11-02, 11:46 AM
One.

Good way to get your house egged or rolled in the U.S.

I put up a "Sorry, No Candy Here" sign, and got zero trick or treaters.

It seems like my family (minus my sister) aren't into Halloween very much.
Good way to get your house egged or rolled in the U.S.

Good way to meet the local cops in the U.S.

Why yes, Halloween here is like a child-run mafia that has police protection! But the costumes make it fun.

Traab
2015-11-02, 12:17 PM
I've never seen a single trick or treater anywhere near my current neighborhood, sadly. The first couple of years I optimistically bought candy, but now I just turn the lights off in the front of the house. It's a nice neighborhood, but it's a long cul-de-sac with spaced out homes, each one up a hill, so it's a lot of walking for little ones. Just a few blocks away are very flat neighborhoods with densely packed houses and small front yards, so it's a much more efficient ratio of candy to effort. Also kids in general don't seem to trick or treat as much anymore. A lot of them go to "safe" alternative events.

I grew up in this neighborhood. When I was young, trick or treaters were everywhere in a huge swarm. It wasnt this huge group deal either. We went out alone or with a friend or two at most. There was a constant stream of trick or treaters walking up to the porch as you walked away. The best part is, my area has like, 10 streets all off main roads in a nice grid pattern. If you plan it right you could reach an incredible number of houses. My last time trick or treating (I was getting too old and the adults were giving us disapproving looks) my friend and I filled up half of a 5 gallon trash bag each simply by taking the entire place as fast as possible from the moment the lights went on till the lights got turned off. we jogged or outright ran from door to door to cover more ground faster. It was glorious, especially towards the end. Several houses just dumped their entire bowl of candy in our bags so they could shut off their lights.

But within a few years of me being too old, it seemed like everyone else got too old. The lights went on but noone ever showed up. Eventually fewer and fewer people turned on their lights. Now im old enough that my generation has kids of their own and most of the lights are still off. They move in large multi family groups, but not a lot of them, because my block has like 3-4 houses with lights on tops, so it isnt really worth it to bother walking down this way. Its kinda sad really. I actually enjoyed halloween from the stay at home side.

Fragenstein
2015-11-02, 12:45 PM
I grew up in this neighborhood. When I was young, trick or treaters were everywhere in a huge swarm. It wasnt this huge group deal either. We went out alone or with a friend or two at most. There was a constant stream of trick or treaters walking up to the porch as you walked away. The best part is, my area has like, 10 streets all off main roads in a nice grid pattern. If you plan it right you could reach an incredible number of houses. My last time trick or treating (I was getting too old and the adults were giving us disapproving looks) my friend and I filled up half of a 5 gallon trash bag each simply by taking the entire place as fast as possible from the moment the lights went on till the lights got turned off. we jogged or outright ran from door to door to cover more ground faster. It was glorious, especially towards the end. Several houses just dumped their entire bowl of candy in our bags so they could shut off their lights.

But within a few years of me being too old, it seemed like everyone else got too old. The lights went on but noone ever showed up. Eventually fewer and fewer people turned on their lights. Now im old enough that my generation has kids of their own and most of the lights are still off. They move in large multi family groups, but not a lot of them, because my block has like 3-4 houses with lights on tops, so it isnt really worth it to bother walking down this way. Its kinda sad really. I actually enjoyed halloween from the stay at home side.

I'm in a similar situation. My old neighborhood was VERY hilly and that cut down on the number of kids, but it would still be active. I actually built a haunted maze in my backyard one year after getting too old to go out, myself. The younger kids loved it -- older kids thought it was lame. But, hey, it wasn't for the older kids.

But where I live now? My house was the only one on my street to decorate or hand out treats. One block in either direction had plenty of action, but my street? It just wasn't worth it for the single house lit. So we've given up. Turned the lights out and I'm pretty sure that nobody even noticed. Sad.

My wife won't let me build a haunted anything for kids to go through. Which is a shame, because I've had a path set up through the property in my mind for years...

Traab
2015-11-02, 12:54 PM
Yeah well now you have to worry about lawsuits. "My precious baby fell and scrapped his knee in your haunted maze! I need lots of money for my, err my SONS mental anguish!"

AdmiralCheez
2015-11-02, 01:19 PM
Yeah well now you have to worry about lawsuits. "My precious baby fell and scrapped his knee in your haunted maze! I need lots of money for my, err my SONS mental anguish!"

The legal system - truly there has never been a more terrifying haunted maze in all of reality! Make sure you sign the SpooOOooky Waiver Form before entering, else the Demon Lawyers will emerge from their slumber!

AlHazred
2015-11-04, 01:50 PM
Three years ago, I got two boxes of candy, and I had more than one box left over at the end of the night. It was Too Much.

Two years ago, I got one box of candy, and I ran out way too early; it was Too Little.

One year ago, I went to a Halloween party, and was out for the evening.

This year, I got one box of candy, but I went to a late party so I was only home three hours. I had just five candy bars left over at the end of the night. It was Just Right.

Apparently, I'm Goldilocks...

Bulldog Psion
2015-11-04, 09:03 PM
Saw one group of three.

Since I live in an upstairs apartment entered through an internal staircase, the only trick-or-treaters I would have gotten would have been coming in using a crowbar and lockpicks. :smallbiggrin: Therefore, I didn't bother buying any candy whatsoever.

Since the guy who lives downstairs is off somewhere or other, the house pretty much appeared deserted and they didn't even go up on the porch to ring the bell.

The fact that it was about 49, blowing furiously, and raining might have reduced the numbers around, also...

Serpentine
2015-11-07, 09:43 AM
None! \o/
Although it's not really a thing here in Australia. Plus I wasn't home, which also could be a reason.

I did hear of a few, though, and there were even some decorations out in Sydney. I'm not sure how I feel about the Trick or Treating, specifically, but I am glad that Halloween's becoming more of a thing here.

flat_footed
2015-11-08, 08:38 PM
None! \o/
Plus I wasn't home, which also could be a reason.

Same with me! Went out with the little ones and knew better than to leave a big bowl of candy out.