PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Non-gendered PC races?

JusticeZero
2015-11-01, 12:08 AM
This came up somewhere in a discussion, and i'm actually hoping for an answer for worldbuilding..
What reasonably playable races are there in PF/3.5(easily convertible, no large ECL), preferably PF, that reasonably can be described as not having a male/female gender dichotomy for some reason?

Rubik
2015-11-01, 12:10 AM
For 3.P games, warforged are non-gendered, though they often claim a gender identity regardless.

And both doppelgangers and changelings can be whichever sex they want, with functional equipment, so whatever they were born as is pretty much irrelevant.

Illithids are sexless.

Dromite drones are, as well.

Snowbluff
2015-11-01, 12:29 AM
Illithids are sexless.

For you maybe.

Zanos
2015-11-01, 12:48 AM
For you maybe.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R6ebrg08QP4/U8_cRZ0af4I/AAAAAAAACVQ/TtawcRYkedo/s1600/illithid.jpg
I believe illithids do retain gross physical characteristics of the body they were created from, although any equipment would become vestigal.

While Elans do retain their gender, the way that they just sort of are and their lack of sexual reproduction may render it much less important. Not sure what that's worth.

Rubik
2015-11-01, 12:53 AM
I had a LE blue goblin psion once that seemed to have attracted the depredations of a local tavern wench who didn't seem able to cotton on to the fact that he preferred 10' poles to bags of holding and portable holes, and he got tired of her right quick, so he started spreading rumors around, thereby ensuring that she remained sexless for a long, long time.

She was a half-elf, if that helps.

Snowbluff
2015-11-01, 12:56 AM
Not sure how to reply to that...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R6ebrg08QP4/U8_cRZ0af4I/AAAAAAAACVQ/TtawcRYkedo/s1600/illithid.jpg
I believe illithids do retain gross physical characteristics of the body they were created from, although any equipment would become vestigal.

I'm doing well. How are you?
http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b630/Snowbluff/3966badc-f8eb-4239-b34d-79d926b2162f_zps14r8tt00.jpg
Zanos, you are on my level.

Almarck
2015-11-01, 01:01 AM
This came up somewhere in a discussion, and i'm actually hoping for an answer for worldbuilding..
What reasonably playable races are there in PF/3.5(easily convertible, no large ECL), preferably PF, that reasonably can be described as not having a male/female gender dichotomy for some reason?

In the same vein as Warforged are Androids in Pathfinder. They are robots that resemble humans. Whatever gender they have is an artificial addition to make them blend in. You can easily axe that and have something androgynous and it wouldn't break fluff.

LudicSavant
2015-11-01, 01:11 AM
Warforged.

Rubik
2015-11-01, 01:16 AM
Warforged.http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/data-startrek.jpg

From the very first response:

For 3.P games, warforged are non-gendered, though they often claim a gender identity regardless.:smallamused:

LudicSavant
2015-11-01, 02:32 AM
:smallamused:

I approve of the picture in your sig.

Rubik
2015-11-01, 02:56 AM
I approve of the picture in your sig.I would gladly direct you to the artist who made it, but the vast majority of his work is something you probably wouldn't be overly interested in.

Tvtyrant
2015-11-01, 03:41 AM
Anything which is solitary is probably genderless, even though they may have a sex. Solitary Beholders are genderless, for instance.

Rubik
2015-11-01, 03:43 AM
Anything ehich is solitary is probably genderless, even though they may have a sex. Solitary Beholders are genderless, for instance.That's just what the fuddy-duddy priests want you to think. What do you think those "eyestalks" are?

Baroncognito
2015-11-01, 03:47 AM
Wyrwood (http://archivesofnethys.com/RacesDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Wyrwood) maybe?

Florian
2015-11-01, 03:54 AM
I'd say that most "Planetouched" type of races fall outside of the pure male-female-dichotomy as they should be equipped to deal with a wide range of inherrited options.

Lashunta (PF) are curious as that are two single-sex races that can reproduce but don't really have anything in common.

Ghorans (PF) are plants that reproduce by seeding.

Then there're also the many races we simply know nothing about.

Tvtyrant
2015-11-01, 04:00 AM
That's just what the fuddy-duddy priests want you to think. What do you think those "eyestalks" are?

Gender and sexy bits don't have much to do with each other. You can't have societal definitions of masculinity and feminity if you don't have a society.

Rubik
2015-11-01, 04:02 AM
Gender and sexy bits don't have much to do with each other. You can't have societal definitions of masculinity and feminity if you don't have a society.Wouldn't gender be more thoughts and behavior? If that's the case, animals (and, for the purposes of D&D, vermin) generally don't have society, and yet they still have gender.

MyrPsychologist
2015-11-01, 04:08 AM
Wouldn't gender be more thoughts and behavior? If that's the case, animals (and, for the purposes of D&D, vermin) generally don't have society, and yet they still have gender.

Sex refers to your biological differences. For example different genitals.

Gender refers to how masculine or feminine you are, often referring to behavior. So the aggressive hunting patterns of female lions would be a "feminine" behavior of their species. It's not biological but it's how the two differentiate.

Tvtyrant
2015-11-01, 04:12 AM
Wouldn't gender be more thoughts and behavior? If that's the case, animals (and, for the purposes of D&D, vermin) generally don't have society, and yet they still have gender.

Some animals can. Any race with a single gender is effectively genderless, like solitary reptiles. They live exactly the same whether male or female, except for a small period around mating and birthing. Bees could be said to have three genders, because their sex influences their lifestyle.

Florian
2015-11-01, 04:19 AM
Gender is also very much the product of how gestation and protection of offspring work and how that is hardwired into the creature. That in turn effects how society develops around all that.

For example, certain species of fish do not mate at all. They just squirt their stuff around and fertilization happens or not.

Psychoalpha
2015-11-01, 04:56 AM
For example, certain species of fish do not mate at all. They just squirt their stuff around and fertilization happens or not.

I feel like there's a joke in here, but I'm afraid to look too close. ;D

Novawurmson
2015-11-01, 05:12 AM
"Dromites (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/dromite) are asexual, being neither female nor male, except in the case of the Hive Queen and Hive Consorts." They have an interesting non-tiered caste system, too. Great for world building.

Not quite what you're looking for, but Changelings (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-changeling) (not Eberron changelings; half-hags) are always female. If you're world-building, you could do an Mass Effect-esque asari-like culture with them.

Sayt
2015-11-01, 05:48 AM
Lashunta (PF) are curious as that are two single-sex races that can reproduce but don't really have anything in common.

My understanding was that Lashunta are one race with extreme sexual dimorphism, rather than being two interbreeding species.

Spore
2015-11-01, 06:22 AM
Eberron Changelings are - if adapted, a race with two sexes that don't necessarily have to identify with a gender. Although I think the sex is set for a changeling, I am not entirely sure because their disguise self- SLA is a polymorph effect so maybe the only thing setting their sex is their reproductive capability.

Florian
2015-11-01, 06:37 AM
My understanding was that Lashunta are one race with extreme sexual dimorphism, rather than being two interbreeding species.

That's because of the singular label being used.
D&D is very weird in this regard and I know next to no other game where interbreeding is possible and common on this level with offspring simply gaining a new label of their own without being subsumes by their parents labels.
So if elf and human wouldn't produce half elves but either elfs or humans, than that would be the same situation as the Lashunta have.

Feint's End
2015-11-01, 07:00 AM
I'd argue that warforged technically don't count. While they don't have a visible gender most of them (yes most) seem to have a personality associated with one. Imho this should be the more important part.

Elans also don't since while they cannot reproduce they still maintain their former gender. And I'd be willing to bet that they don't lose their ability to have sex.

Also changelings have a gender as opposed to doppelgangers so they also don't count. It's in races of destiny.

The only race I can think of is dromites, which definitely don't have one at all (at least most of them). Dsp's Forgeborn arguably also don't have one. While the are crafted from fallen bodies they don't maintain a personality associated with a gender AFAIK.

Novawurmson
2015-11-01, 07:17 AM
Eberron Changelings are - if adapted, a race with two sexes that don't necessarily have to identify with a gender. Although I think the sex is set for a changeling, I am not entirely sure because their disguise self- SLA is a polymorph effect so maybe the only thing setting their sex is their reproductive capability.

If I recall Races of Eberron correctly, this isn't quite correct. Changelings tend to fall into three categories, according to RoE:

1. "Passers." Changelings who don't want to be changelings. They pick an identity and try to live their lives exactly as that identity. These would be as gendered as the race and culture they choose to live as.

2. "Becomers." Changelings that enjoy the dance of swapping personalities as much as possible. These changelings might be several different genders, changing multiple times per day (except if they become pregnant while female, in which case they biologically have to be female until they give birth). These changelings might identify as male, female, both, no gender, fluid, etc.

3. "Seekers." Changelings that want to expressly live as changelings - not through assumed identities. They often walk around in their natural state (the super pale skin, Voldemort nose, weird eyes, etc.), and search for some great truth or inspiration.

"Passers" would definitely be gendered, but "Becomers" and "Seekers" would be completely down to personal preference.

Forrestfire
2015-11-01, 07:19 AM

Eberron changelings can change their sex as they like, and are fully fertile whichever they pick at the time. Their gender depends from changeling to changeling, but it's noted in Races of Eberron that there are plenty who identify with one or the other, plenty who identify with neither, and just as many who are comfortable in any form.

ekarney
2015-11-01, 09:19 AM
A few undead might have bits, but they're 100% vestigial, well, presumably, 3.0's Lichloved feat raises more questions than it answers. The point is that outside of a few specific types of undead gender becomes totally irrelevant to them.

Interestingly enough, whilst Drow come in both male and female outside of procreation their views on each other make that largely irrelevant as the fact that Drow only see people in one of three ways.
1. Slave and/or cannon fodder.
2. Weaker than them and to be used and abused until they're dead or no longer useful, so dead, or soon to be dead.
3. In a position of power and to be served until they can be removed.

However, if a Drow offends another Drow's slave, of whom the owner is quite partial to, and in a superior position to the offending Drow then the offending Drow could be in deep trouble meaning the male slave of a noble house is actually in a position higher than say a low ranking priestess of Lolth. Which means that as I said earlier, gender is Drow society is mostly irrelevant so that could be a possibility if you're getting desperate.

Necroticplague
2015-11-01, 11:47 AM
On illithids, I thought LoM says they're hermaphrodites?

Malimar
2015-11-01, 12:02 PM
On illithids, I thought LoM says they're hermaphrodites?

As I recall, illithids retain the sexual characteristics of the host humanoid, so not hermaphrodites (I'd play them as largely agender, but I don't remember if that's explicitly how you're supposed to play them).

Adults don't breed. Reproduction takes place in the Elder Brain's pool, where tadpoles are spontaneously generated by the Elder Brain.

Hand_of_Vecna
2015-11-01, 01:37 PM
As I recall, illithids retain the sexual characteristics of the host humanoid, so not hermaphrodites (I'd play them as largely agender, but I don't remember if that's explicitly how you're supposed to play them).

Comical cheese cake and tentacle rape jokes aside, they are quite sexless.

A mind flayer is roughly comparable to a thin
human in height and build, but the external resemblance
stops at that point. (Lords of Madness 61)

At the end of the week of ceremorphosis, nothing remains of
the victim. Its tissues have been entirely replaced with the
rapidly transforming mind flayer tissue. The creature is warmblooded
and hermaphroditic - (Lords of Madness 63)

There's no reference to the tadpole gaining any memories from the mind eaten in the ceremorphosis, so they also lack the memories of a gendered being.

Hazrond
2015-11-01, 01:55 PM
Ghorans and possibly the Gathlain

Taveena
2015-11-01, 02:28 PM
Sex refers to your biological differences. For example different genitals.

Gender refers to how masculine or feminine you are, often referring to behavior. So the aggressive hunting patterns of female lions would be a "feminine" behavior of their species. It's not biological but it's how the two differentiate.

That's not strictly speaking true. What you were describing in the latter half is gender expression - just because a woman is butch doesn't mean she stops being a woman. However, if they're (from a reproductive standpoint) female but experience dysphoria about presenting as a woman and/or euphoria about presenting as a man, then their gender is male.

For the most part we honestly have no idea if it's possible for animals to have a gender expression and identity that differ because we have no way to identify dysphoria in animals, even in those we know of that have a concrete concept of self (such as other great apes, corvids, and elephants). For all we know, those famously gay penguins are a male-brained penguin and a female-brained penguin and don't care that much about junk.

MAYBE THEY'RE BOTH TRANSSEXUAL LESBIANS. Until we invent a penguin-to-english translator, we'll never know.

Anyway, to emphasize an earlier point, Warforged may develop a gender identity or they may not. However, regardless of that, you're required to choose a gender for mechanical purposes.

"Warforged were created without gender—a living construct with no need to reproduce or form a gender identity. Their only purpose was to fight for their owners and fall on the battlefield if necessary in pursuit of larger goals. It was something of a surprise, then, when warforged began adopting gender identities on their own, without direction from any of their owners.
While some warforged are comfortable with thinking of themselves as genderless beings, many have instead adopted a male or female personality to which they adhere in their daily lives. Those who attempt to fit into the societies of the races around them might choose clothing that traditionally applies to their gender of choice and pursue socially approved occupations for their chosen genders.
When you create a warforged character, decide at the time of creation whether the character will have a male or a female personality. This decision cannot be changed later."

So when it says the Lord of Blades has a male personality, for example, it could just be that that's there for mechanical purposes and he is in fact agendered.

Necroticplague
2015-11-01, 03:40 PM

Adults don't breed. Reproduction takes place in the Elder Brain's pool, where tadpoles are spontaneously generated by the Elder Brain.

Actually, found the quote I was looking for in LoM, you're wrong on this one. Tadpoles do come from illithids (and are eaten by the Brain, not produced by it).

In basic configuration, a mind fl ayer is amphibious. The first portion of its life is spent as a tadpole hatched from an egg. An adult illithid spawns hermaphroditically two or three times during its lifetime, depositing about a thousand eggs in a briny pool constructed for just this purpose. The eggs hatch after about a month, releasing the writhing tadpoles into the pool.You are right that it takes place in the Elder Brain's pool, though.

Given the normall nature of Illithids it's not hard to imagine these "two or three times" are under duress (from the Elder Brain, of course).

Zombulian
2015-11-01, 04:42 PM
"Dromites (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/races/dromite) are asexual, being neither female nor male, except in the case of the Hive Queen and Hive Consorts." They have an interesting non-tiered caste system, too. Great for world building.

Not quite what you're looking for, but Changelings (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/uncommon-races/arg-changeling) (not Eberron changelings; half-hags) are always female. If you're world-building, you could do an Mass Effect-esque asari-like culture with them.

Wait a minute are you telling me that PF has non-LA Dromites?

This is the greatest news.

Florian
2015-11-01, 05:34 PM
Wait a minute are you telling me that PF has non-LA Dromites?

This is the greatest news.

PF doesn't have LA per se. It does have RP that have a bit similiar function, but Dromites coming from a 3pp, I don't think that the calculation has been done.

Necroticplague
2015-11-01, 05:40 PM
PF doesn't have LA per se. It does have RP that have a bit similiar function, but Dromites coming from a 3pp, I don't think that the calculation has been done.

In PF, the rules for monstrous PCs have you essentially take their CR as LA (but give you it's RHD for free). Of course, that link doesn't list a CR, so that's not much help.

Milo v3
2015-11-01, 05:44 PM
PF Dromites would be CR 0, I mean, look at Aasimar and Kasatha.

Florian
2015-11-01, 05:47 PM
look at Aasimar and Kasatha.

Those two have 15 and 20 RP. The Kasatha doesn't come cheap ...

Milo v3
2015-11-01, 05:56 PM

Yep, and kasatha still has it's CR determined by it's class levels rather than CR + class level like Trox. Dromite is no where near a CR 1 race.

twas_Brillig
2015-11-01, 06:02 PM
Anyway, to emphasize an earlier point, Warforged may develop a gender identity or they may not. However, regardless of that, you're required to choose a gender for mechanical purposes.

"Warforged were created without gender—a living construct with no need to reproduce or form a gender identity. Their only purpose was to fight for their owners and fall on the battlefield if necessary in pursuit of larger goals. It was something of a surprise, then, when warforged began adopting gender identities on their own, without direction from any of their owners.
While some warforged are comfortable with thinking of themselves as genderless beings, many have instead adopted a male or female personality to which they adhere in their daily lives. Those who attempt to fit into the societies of the races around them might choose clothing that traditionally applies to their gender of choice and pursue socially approved occupations for their chosen genders.
When you create a warforged character, decide at the time of creation whether the character will have a male or a female personality. This decision cannot be changed later."

So when it says the Lord of Blades has a male personality, for example, it could just be that that's there for mechanical purposes and he is in fact agendered.

This is a really cool quote! "This decision cannot be changed later" seems kind of random to me.

That said, I'm going to have to disagree with your reading. Given that the second paragraph explicitly says that some warforged identify as genderless, while many instead adopt male or female personalities, I'd argue that "whether the character will have a male or female personality" should be read as "whether the character {will have a male or female personality}" and not "whether {the character will have a male personality} or {the character will have a female personality}".

Honest Tiefling
2015-11-01, 06:04 PM

1 point of the aasimar race points come from getting a bonus to two mental stats. Unless you are doing a cleric, arcanist or some weird theurge thing the standard racial traits are in fact way better for you in most cases. Still makes them a beefy race. However, I'd also argue that the celestial resistance quickly becomes worthless as anything throwing that sort of energy at you will just ignore the tiny resistance.

They're still better then a lot of races (Such as the poor, poor, elemental planetouched), but I think they're overvalued a wee bit due to those two factors.

Milo v3
2015-11-01, 06:15 PM
1 point of the aasimar race points come from getting a bonus to two mental stats. Unless you are doing a cleric, arcanist or some weird theurge thing the standard racial traits are in fact way better for you in most cases.

Actually aasimar can get bonus to any two ability scores. But this is rather off-topic so I will stop mentioning aasimar.

Zrak
2015-11-01, 06:25 PM
Eh, variant heritages make them much more flexible, overall, without adding any RP, and proficiency with all martial weapons regardless of class never hurts. Celestial resistance helps a lot at lower levels, which the time you need it most. I'd definitely be more wary of a player asking about playing an Aasimaar than, say, a Svirfneblin or Ghoran.

In 3.5, a lot of the less-standard but nonetheless playable races don't really have any explicitly mentioned sexes or genders, so you could easily rule that, say, Dolgrim or Skum don't have gender without contradicting any established details.

Taveena
2015-11-01, 07:34 PM
This is a really cool quote! "This decision cannot be changed later" seems kind of random to me.

That said, I'm going to have to disagree with your reading. Given that the second paragraph explicitly says that some warforged identify as genderless, while many instead adopt male or female personalities, I'd argue that "whether the character will have a male or female personality" should be read as "whether the character {will have a male or female personality}" and not "whether {the character will have a male personality} or {the character will have a female personality}".

Fair reading, I didn't even think of that. I guess that'd make more sense.

Except the Lord of Blades. Why would a guy who absolutely loathes flesh develop a social construct indigenous to fleshy creatures?

Wonder if he feels weird about that.

Malimar
2015-11-01, 09:23 PM
Actually, found the quote I was looking for in LoM, you're wrong on this one. Tadpoles do come from illithids (and are eaten by the Brain, not produced by it).

You are right that it takes place in the Elder Brain's pool, though.

Given the normall nature of Illithids it's not hard to imagine these "two or three times" are under duress (from the Elder Brain, of course).

Huh! Color me corrected.

twas_Brillig
2015-11-02, 07:59 AM
Fair reading, I didn't even think of that. I guess that'd make more sense.

Except the Lord of Blades. Why would a guy who absolutely loathes flesh develop a social construct indigenous to fleshy creatures?

It could be that it's not an active process--warforged could develop their identities due to a quirk in their design, rather than as a deliberate process. Maybe like-attracts-like and they're subject to, essentially, magical gender radiation from growing up near living races, the image of their creators imprinting itself on their soul/psyche/what have you. It could be the people who wrote the warforged gender identity stuff and the Lord of Blades stuff didn't work together as closely as they might. Maybe the LoB is trying to taunt the dumb fleshies by adopting one of their pathetic human genders.

Put another way: Yeah, I bet he feels totally weird about that. I never realized that robot gender dysphoria was a character trait I needed in my life.

Florian
2015-11-02, 08:09 AM

At the end of the day, it'll simply boil down to this: Someone sitting at a desk somewhere came up with a good idea (without thinking of the implications) and some other person (without thinking at the implications) said "Great" and waved it through.
You know, your basic 3E dilemma with nearly everything.

Telonius
2015-11-02, 09:14 AM
There are a handful of things that being able to change the decision might affect (Eunuch Warlock, Swanmay, and a few others). But these are so few and far between that it really shouldn't be an issue.

atemu1234
2015-11-02, 09:19 AM
There are a handful of things that being able to change the decision might affect (Eunuch Warlock, Swanmay, and a few others). But these are so few and far between that it really shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, playing a human but genderless is not exactly game-breaking. We are talking, after all, about a game in which biological immortality is worth less than a bonus feat.

Zanos
2015-11-02, 09:33 AM
There are a couple powerful gender specific options. Hathran comes to mind. In any case I don't think its that unusual. Even many Gods and other powerful outsiders present themselves as one or the other.

Taveena
2015-11-02, 11:18 AM
Mind, the (barely) larger problem isn't agendered characters, but bigendered characters. Or genderfluid characters. The latter can either enter Eunuch Warlock or Swanmay depending on the day, while the former's able to get into any class with gender prerequisites.

S'almost like the writers of these books had no idea that nonbinary gender identities existed.
Shocking.

atemu1234
2015-11-02, 11:21 AM
Mind, the (barely) larger problem isn't agendered characters, but bigendered characters. Or genderfluid characters. The latter can either enter Eunuch Warlock or Swanmay depending on the day, while the former's able to get into any class with gender prerequisites.

S'almost like the writers of these books had no idea that nonbinary gender identities existed.
Shocking.

To be fair, that (along with the rest of the LGBTQ community's struggle) wasn't really considered by most of the mainstream community until 2002-2005ish, and later for some. WoTC doesn't really surprise me that way.

Necroticplague
2015-11-02, 11:29 AM

Shocking.

Or, y'know, they just assumed that gender=sex.

Florian
2015-11-02, 11:35 AM
To be fair, that (along with the rest of the LGBTQ community's struggle) wasn't really considered by most of the mainstream community until 2002-2005ish, and later for some. WoTC doesn't really surprise me that way.

It doesn't even have to touch on that or take that into account at all. If you want, there're a rather huge amount of decisions that tend to lead to results that are either insulting or even hurting to some people or the other and I'd guess they were neber intended as such.

Nah, most often, it's simply a case of pure lack of real imagination and being unable to discount cultural bias.

Zanos
2015-11-02, 11:40 AM
I don't think you're a bigot or backwards for not widely representing a demographic that by most estimates compromises less than a half of a tenth of the world population. Not doing anything at all is better than tokenization, at least.

Segev
2015-11-02, 11:59 AM
Aboleths are hermaphrodites which preproduce asexually, with only a single parent. (They also have all the memories of their parent up to the point of their birth, at birth.)

Beholders are sexless, and reproduce by budding.

Neogi reproduce by attacking their elderly en mass, stinging them repeatedly to trigger a transformation into a "Great Old Master" which is an overgrown giant of the race with limited intelligence that is incubating dozens to hundreds of infant neogi. They will eat their way out when they're ready to be born, killing the Great Old Master.

Modrons are entirely sexless.

Elementals - the actual monsters made of the element, not necessarily all who bear that creature type - are without gender.

Slaadi are hermaphroditic and, I believe, actually all lay eggs in fallen foes.

Vargouilles are sexless; they reproduce through a cursed kiss that turns humanoids into new vargouilles.

Taveena
2015-11-02, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I'm not judging, nonbinary visibility was basically nonexistant until super recently. Mind, 'gender = sex' clearly doesn't hold up for Warforged, due to the lack of sex.

... And also the explicit use of the term 'gender identity' in Races of Eberron, so at least one person clearly knew what they were talking about.

Jormengand
2015-11-02, 12:43 PM

Uhm...

Humans?

JusticeZero
2015-11-02, 06:16 PM
The issue with humans is that the majority of humans think there is a dichotomy, and would ask all the same awkward questions about a character on paper as they would of a person, and enforce the same lack of support. As opposed to having actual PC races that wouldn't require crossplaying of some sort.

Necroticplague
2015-11-03, 09:43 AM
... And also the explicit use of the term 'gender identity' in Races of Eberron, so at least one person clearly knew what they were talking about.

And the whole little section on how Changelings helps support whoever was writing races for Eberron was clearly on the ball about it.

A bit more on topic, the Sharn probably are rather agendered. Their bodies are asexual, and they reproduce via magic ritual. In addition, each one has (at least) three minds from different sapient creatures, so any sexual identity they may have had before can be muddied by conflicting ones from the other minds (a female elf, a male dwarf, and an intersex human all share a body with no sexual characteristics. What would they think of themselves as?). Yes, us intersex humans do exist.