PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Early-entry Sorcerer PrCs

Thurbane
2015-11-01, 03:49 AM
Hey all,

Looking for some early-entry PrCs that a Sorcerer can enter, that don't lose any caster levels.

So far the earliest I can think of is Ruathar (using Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell to cast 3rds) after 4th level.

Any earlier, or less feat intensive?

Cheers - T

Troacctid
2015-11-01, 03:59 AM
Paragnostic Apostle can be entered easily with only 2 levels of Sorcerer if you can get a 3rd level spell or spell-like ability and two Knowledges as class skills. Off the top of my head, a Lesser Aasimar with the Education feat will do it.

Thurbane
2015-11-01, 04:10 AM
Interesting, but I'd prefer to avoid choices that tie me in to a particular race...

Troacctid
2015-11-01, 04:21 AM
Well you could also become moderately depraved, grab Eldritch Corruption as a bonus feat, and qualify for Ruathar after only 1 level of Sorcerer, since that'll Heighten your spells two levels for free.

nerghull
2015-11-01, 02:26 PM
Maybe sandshaper ? You loose one spellcasting level but the class is neat and it's worth it, especially for a sorcerer.

GilesTheCleric
2015-11-01, 02:30 PM
From the index thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444041-Threads-from-the-Wizards-forums): Sorc PrCs w/ full progression (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451070-Sorcerer-Prestige-Classes-with-Full-Caster-Progression) might help.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-11-01, 02:41 PM
You can go Sorcerer 1/ Rainbow Servant, and RAW it doesn't lose any spellcasting.

Thurbane
2015-11-02, 03:34 AM
From the index thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?444041-Threads-from-the-Wizards-forums): Sorc PrCs w/ full progression (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?451070-Sorcerer-Prestige-Classes-with-Full-Caster-Progression) might help.

That's amazingly helpful and extremely useful, thank you kindly. :smallsmile:

...thanks all for the suggestions.

I guess short of serious cheese, I'm not PrCing out before 5th.

Andezzar
2015-11-02, 04:22 AM
You can go Sorcerer 1/ Rainbow Servant, and RAW it doesn't lose any spellcasting.How can a sorcerer 1 cast 3rd level arcane spells?

Troacctid
2015-11-02, 04:49 AM
How can a sorcerer 1 cast 3rd level arcane spells?

Heighten them. Heightened spells count as higher-level. Eldritch Corruption, Earth Spell, Versatile Spellcaster, Improved Sigil (Krau), Sanctum Spell, there's a bunch of ways to do it.

Andezzar
2015-11-02, 05:05 AM
It might be difficult to find someone "who knowingly and willingly fights alongside you against a common foe, or who otherwise considers you a trusted companion" when you level up for Eldritch Corruption to work. More importantly though a character is only allowed to take and use that feat if he is tainted.

Earth spell would require you to have 2nd level spell slots.

Versatile Spellcaster does not work (alone). It only gets you a second level spell. It also only allows you to cast spell you know. If you do not know and 3rd level spells you cannot use two 2nd level slots to cast such a spell.

Improved Sigil Krau and Sanctum spell also go up only one level.

Necroticplague
2015-11-02, 06:28 AM
Eldrtitch Corruption can get you into Rainbow Servant at level 2.

Troacctid
2015-11-02, 12:15 PM
It might be difficult to find someone "who knowingly and willingly fights alongside you against a common foe, or who otherwise considers you a trusted companion" when you level up for Eldritch Corruption to work. More importantly though a character is only allowed to take and use that feat if he is tainted.

Earth spell would require you to have 2nd level spell slots.

Versatile Spellcaster does not work (alone). It only gets you a second level spell. It also only allows you to cast spell you know. If you do not know and 3rd level spells you cannot use two 2nd level slots to cast such a spell.

Improved Sigil Krau and Sanctum spell also go up only one level.

Yes, pick two. Often this involves flaws. A human sorcerer could take Earth Sense + Earth Spell + Heighten Spell + Versatile Spellcaster with two flaws, for instance.

The upside of Eldritch Corruption requiring taint is that moderate taint gives you a bonus feat, so you get it for free.

Flickerdart
2015-11-02, 12:32 PM
It might be difficult to find someone "who knowingly and willingly fights alongside you against a common foe, or who otherwise considers you a trusted companion" when you level up for Eldritch Corruption to work.
Why? It's not like tainted people can't have friends, but even if you don't, hiring a mercenary is sufficient. There's nothing in the feat's text that suggests the ally must be willing to take the damage, so you can always spring it on them!

Necroticplague
2015-11-02, 12:49 PM
You are your own ally, so you can always use yourself for it.

Andezzar
2015-11-02, 01:07 PM
Why? It's not like tainted people can't have friends, but even if you don't, hiring a mercenary is sufficient. There's nothing in the feat's text that suggests the ally must be willing to take the damage, so you can always spring it on them!That is if the DM even uses the taint mechanic. AFAIK this is entirely optional. Also the character must acquire moderate taint. the acquisition of such taint is at least partially in the hands of the DM.

You are your own ally, so you can always use yourself for it.While generally the game term ally includes yourself, the feat has a specific rule that at least implies it is restricted to certain people other than yourself.
In this case, "ally" is defined as someone who knowingly and willingly fights alongside you against a common foe, or who otherwise considers you a trusted companion.

Flickerdart
2015-11-02, 01:32 PM
That is if the DM even uses the taint mechanic. AFAIK this is entirely optional. Also the character must acquire moderate taint. the acquisition of such taint is at least partially in the hands of the DM.
Sure, but that's not the objection I was addressing.

nerghull
2015-11-02, 02:02 PM
Sooooo no PrC before level 6 whithout faking 3rd level spells ? (Which is not flowong on many tables)

Troacctid
2015-11-02, 02:06 PM
Paragnostic Apostle, as mentioned. But I don't see a reason to exclude Heighten tricks, since OP started off the thread with one.

nerghull
2015-11-02, 02:16 PM
Paragnostic apostle needs 3 cross class skills at 5 and a LA race, so it diesn't really cut it.
Of course early entry tricks are good to know but that's well covered. I look for alternative for tables where this kind of non intended strategy is frowned upon (such as mine).

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-02, 03:55 PM
Paragnostic apostle needs 3 cross class skills at 5 and a LA race, so it diesn't really cut it.
Of course early entry tricks are good to know but that's well covered. I look for alternative for tables where this kind of non intended strategy is frowned upon (such as mine).

Lesser Aasimar has no LA and requires one feat to get into Paragnostic Apostle. It is also a good race for sorcerers. See below:

Paragnostic Apostle can be entered easily with only 2 levels of Sorcerer if you can get a 3rd level spell or spell-like ability and two Knowledges as class skills. Off the top of my head, a Lesser Aasimar with the Education feat will do it.