PDA

View Full Version : Spellslingers /or/ Illiterate or did no one think of this yet?

Shishoka
2015-11-01, 11:54 AM
I'm sure someone has, at least in a game. I'd just like to see reactions. The big complaint I see with this class, that I'm focusing on with this post, is they give up scribe scroll in order to gain gunsmith. The thing is, I've read scribe scroll, I've read the wizard class, I've read the spellslinger archetype, and I've read other spell casting classes. I know it would be an annoyance but couldn't the spellslinger just take scribe scroll as his level 1 feat? Sure, gunsmith replaces scribe scroll, but as a bonus feat, and we run into the same issue with that. Just because someone is a wizard or class other than a gunslinger doesnt mean that they *can't* use guns or even take gunsmithing as a feat. There's nothing in the description of exotic weapon proficiency or gunsmithing that I can see that really prevents it; and the gunsmith ability just replaces scribe scroll as a bonus feat. It doesn't say the spellslinger can never take it. Intentional or am I just grasping at loop holes?

Jormengand
2015-11-01, 12:09 PM
There is neither anything to stop you taking scribe scroll, nor meant to be.

Shishoka
2015-11-10, 01:37 PM
Great. Thanks.

Triskavanski
2015-11-10, 02:41 PM
I'd suspect that most of the complains (Like mine) is the fact that you give up /a lot/ to get something that only halfway works.

You lose all cantrips, Familiar, Scribe scroll, special school abilities, you're hampered on four schools instead of two.

You gain one arcane gun (but you could chose to be able to bond a second gun. But then you got to buy the second gun and the crit damage is decreased)

You can cast magic through the gun from one of the three schools you have left. But only if it fits the bounds of the spell, and if you roll a 1 or they roll a 20, your gun becomes closer to going boom.

You gain the ability to sacrifice your already limited number of spells to be able to charge the gun for a few minutes with a rather minor ability to shoot through magic bullets for a time.

All in all you give up too much. Only to be allowed to give up more, and possibly blow yourself up. the fact that a nat 20 could ruin your day, and AOEs increase the chances of this happening, and happening multiple times, you get really no nice thigns through this, IMO.