PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Questions for the Spellslinger and Myrmidarch combo

Zellsantal
2015-11-01, 01:01 PM
Ranged Spellstrike (Su)

At 4th level, a myrmidarch can use spellstrike to cast a single-target touch attack ranged spell and deliver it through a ranged weapon attack. Even if the spell can normally affect multiple targets, only a single missile, ray, or effect accompanies the attack.

At 11th level, a myrmidarch can spend a full-round action to cast a spell that includes multiple ranged touch attacks and deliver more than one using ranged attacks. The spell must have a casting time of 1 full-round action or less. This functions similarly to the base ability of ranged spellstrike, but the myrmidarch can deliver a number of missiles, rays, or effect up to the number of attacks he could make with a full attack. Attacks beyond the first take penalties as if the myrmidarch were making a full attack. Any effects not used in the round the spell is cast are lost, as are any additional ranged touch attacks the spell would allow beyond the myrmidarch’s maximum number of attacks.
-------------------
Arcane Gun (Su)

The spellslinger gains the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (firearms) feat, and one or two of his firearms can be arcane guns. Arcane guns are normal one-handed or two-handed firearms in the hands of others, as they were normal firearms before the spellslinger imbued them with magic. In a spellslinger’s hands, they both fire projectiles (bullets and pellets) and cast magic. At 1st level, the spellslinger decides whether he wants to have one or two arcane guns at a time. If the spellslinger chooses to have only one arcane gun at a time, spells fired Classes through the arcane gun that require an attack roll have a ×3 critical hit multiplier.

A spellslinger can cast any ranged touch attack, cone, line, or ray spells through his arcane gun. When he casts through the arcane gun, the gun’s enhancement bonus (if any) is a bonus to the spell’s attack rolls or to the spell’s saving throw DCs. Yet there are dangers inherent to this method. If any of the spells’ attack rolls result in a natural 1 (a misfire), or a natural 20 is rolled on any saving throw made against the spell by a target (an overload), the arcane gun gains the broken condition. If the arcane gun already has the broken condition, the gun explodes. When a gun explodes, it lets loose a blast of force, or if the spell has the acid, cold, electricity, or sonic descriptor, it deals that type of energy damage instead. In the case of spells with multiple descriptors, roll randomly among the descriptors to determine the type of damage dealt by the blast. The blast is centered on a single intersection within the spellslinger’s space (spellslinger’s choice) and deals 1d6 points of the appropriate energy damage or force damage per level of the spell cast. Any creature within the blast other than the spellslinger can make a Reflex saving throw to halve the damage. The Reflex save DC is calculated using the spell level of the spell being sacrificed.

A spellslinger can attune his arcane guns at the start of each day. That attunement lasts until the spellslinger attunes to a new gun, even if a formally attuned gun is destroyed.

This ability replaces arcane bond.
-------------------------

I'm thinking of making a character for a game I'm going to be playing next week and found it interesting however I been having a hard time trying to find some clear answers of how these ability's work, I have an idea of how but not sure my DM would agree to what I think about it and end up playing wrong. So I hope one or some of you could help me out and see if this is a build worth using.

1. I keep seeing shocking grasp as one of the first spells to be used with this combo however what I am trying to understand is are you able to fire from your gun shocking grasp that is like say 70 feet away, if so do you use both the spell damage and the bullet damage or only the spell damage? Also for the level 11 ability would I be able to add the spell damage to all my attacks or is it only for spells such as Scorching Ray?

2. With this I can fire line spells which I would use lighting bolt for this one for it seems to be another one used for this combo. Now to my understanding lighting bolt has no attack needed to hit so how would I be able to have the x3 crit effect for the spell? Or like I asked for question one does the spell get added to my attack damage and would I be able to use the spell damage for the level 11 ability? In other words would I be able to use two to three lighting bolts in one round as my full attack with a gun?

3. For other spells I would use would I be using my gun's range and crit range or the spells range and it's own crit range?

4. Let say I have a gun with the imp. crit. talent and say it is a one handed gun that does 1d8 17-20x2 cirt. Now with this combo say I do crit and conformed using the spell combo and such would it work like this?

Scorching Ray 4d8x3 + Gun 1d8x2 = total roll damage.

or

Scorching Ray 4d8x3 = total roll damage.

Zellsantal
2015-11-05, 12:12 PM
Anyone? You mean to tell me there is no one that could help me out?

Ilorin Lorati
2015-11-05, 12:39 PM
Honestly? Your whole set of questions is disjointed and doesn't really make much sense in general, so I see why no one was jumping in to help you. I think I was able to make out a few details, though, and here are my responses:

Myrmidarch's Ranged Spellstrike doesn't work with touch spells, just ranged touch spells. You should be using Snowball.
You need an attack roll to crit, and you can't use spellstrike to attack with a spell that doesn't require an attack roll.
If you use spellstrike to deliver a touch/ranged touch spell and it crits, the spell is doubled in damage. Spellstrike rules override even your spell's own critical multiplier, and state that your spell damage is multiplied by x2 on a crit.
When spellstriking, your spell damage is added to your weapon damage.
While technically you can use Arcane Gun and Ranged Spellstrike on the same spell, it's useless: the extra to hit from Arcane Gun is to your spell's attack roll - which you don't get when spellstriking, as your spell's attack roll is replaced with your weapon's attack roll, and as I mentioned spellstrike overrides the normal critical multiplier for spells.

As always, you should speak to your DM about this. The RAW, however, is pretty clear: the particular combination that it seems you want (Casting through Arcane gun, delivering through spellstrike for high crit range and high crit multiplier) wouldn't work.