PDA

View Full Version : High mobility prcs

FocusWolf413
2015-11-01, 03:36 PM
What prestige classes give melee characters good mobility? I found the Jaunter to be a little lackluster.

If it helps, I'm playing a twf ranger/stalker. 3.5 and PF are allowed.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-01, 03:39 PM
If you take Sword of the Arcane Order you can get into swiftblade. It gives bonus movement, all 3 spring attack feats, bonus damage when you move, and buffs haste, which also buffs your movement speed. Assuming nothing else a human swiftblade 10 would have a speed of 80 when haste is up and options to try to take advantage of it.

gawwy
2015-11-01, 03:41 PM
1 level of trapsmith for haste followed by swiftblade 10?

im playing a spell theif2/duskblade 3/trapsmith5/swiftblade 5 (started at 11) and its amazing.

swiftblade gives you goodies every level tho if your not able to steal or cast 6th level spells you probably dont care for the 10th level

ninjaed D:

post current build?

LordOfCain
2015-11-01, 03:49 PM
Maybe shadow dancer it is core though probably better.

Zeruel
2015-11-01, 03:52 PM
How about a Dervish? he's made to TWF and his main offensive mode is to spring attack (move, attack and move again) while dancing and, if I remember right,he gains extra land speed. :smallsmile:

LordOfCain
2015-11-01, 03:54 PM
Monks get high speed. :P They are not a PRC though. A barb dip would increase speed too.

Troacctid
2015-11-01, 04:00 PM
Why not just more Stalker? Veiled Moon and Thrashing Dragon should already offer you some pretty good mobility.

Zeruel
2015-11-01, 04:11 PM
Forgot about the Scout. He's not PrC, but he has sinergy with the Ranger, gets Skirmish (if you move enough you get extra damage and AC) and with a feat ranger and scout levels stack for the purpose of increasing your skirmish and favored enemy, and other things I don't remember. This should make the scout a viable choice, besides not being a PrC.

elonin
2015-11-01, 05:04 PM
How about a Dervish? he's made to TWF and his main offensive mode is to spring attack (move, attack and move again) while dancing and, if I remember right,he gains extra land speed. :smallsmile:

I've tried the dervish for a twf build. This is a trap.

Zeruel
2015-11-01, 05:19 PM
I've tried the dervish for a twf build. This is a trap.

What do you mean, what's wrong with a TWF Dervish? :smallconfused:

Curmudgeon
2015-11-01, 05:35 PM
From the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1068066):
Speed increase - aka Fast Movement, +10' land speed each unless otherwise noted
Barbarian 1
Monk 3/6/9/12/15/18, +10 each
Paladin 5, class variant, Complete Champion, +10' all speeds
Ranger 6, class variant, Complete Warrior, +10'
Scout 3, 11/20, Complete Adventurer +10 (land)
Animal Lord (horselord) 3, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer, +10, +20 at level 7, see text
Bloodhound 3, 6, 9, ecl 7, Complete Adventurer, +10 each when chasing mark
Wild Plains Outrider 2, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer, +10 for mount (all modes)
Dash, feat, Complete Adventurer, +5' (does not specify land only)
Celerity, domain, Complete Diving, +10'
Wildrunner 1, ecl 6, Races of the Wild, +10'
Whisperknife 6, ecl 11, Races of the Wild
Pregrine Runner 5, ecl 12, Races of Stone
Reachrunner 1, 4/5 (+5/+10), ecl 6, Races of Eberron
Shadow Scout 2 (OA) ecl 8
Dervish 2/5/8 (+5/+10/+15)
Gnome Giant-Slayer 6, ecl 11, Complete Warrior
Atavist 5 (cautious spirit), ecl 10, Races of Eberron, +5' for all movement modes
Elemental Warrior (fire) 4, ecl 11, Planar Handbook
Cloud Anchorite 4, 8/10, ecl 10, Frostburn, +10' each
Primeval 8, ecl 16, Frostburn, +10'
Cheetah's Speed, wild feat, Complete Divine - speed becomes 50' for 1 hour, once per hour can move at 10X speed
Geomancer 3 (stage 2 drift), ecl 9, Complete Divine, +5'
Geomancer 9 (stage 5 drift), ecl 15, Complete Divine, once per hour move at 10X speed
Shifter w/Longstride trait, Eberron Campaign Setting, +10', while shifting
Longstride Elite, feat, Eberron Campaign Setting, +10', while shifting
Nentyar Hunter 2, ecl 7, FR: Unapproachable East, +10'
Improved Speed, feat, Draconomicon - fly speed improves by 20', all others improve by 10'
Speed of Thought, feat, XPH - +10' insight bonus
Divine Vigor, divine feat, Complete Divine - temporary +10'
Barbarian 3 (Fangshield substitution level), Champions of Valor - +10' while charging
Marshall 2, Miniatures Handbook - +5' per aura bonus
Incarnate 3 (chaotic), Magic of Incarnum - +10' +10'every five levels, share with allies at 7th level
Totemist 8 (halfling substitution level), Magic of Incarnum - +10'
Barbarian 1 (Duskling substitution level), Magic of Incarnum, +10'/essentia (enhancement)
Dread Carapace, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +60' +10'/essentia (enhancement) once per minute
Incarnate Avatar (chaos), soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +30' (enhancement)
Lamia Belt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +10' (enhancement) plus spring attack feat
Worg Pelt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +5' +5/essentia (unnamed)
Cerulean Sandals, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +5'/essentia (unnamed)
Knight of the Sacred Seal 4, ecl 9, Tome of Magic - +10' temporary
Shadow Creature, template, Lords of Madness - all speeds x1.5
Fast Leg, Fiendish Graft, Fiend Folio - +10'
Quick, character trait, Unearthed Arcana - +10'
Fleet of Foot, regional feat, Player's Guide to Faerun - +10'
Abberant Limbs (legs), unique NPC ability, DMG 2 - +20', LA+2
Nimble Bones, feat, Lords of Madness - +10', applies to undead created by someone with this feat
Vandalis Beastkeeper 10, ecl 14, Eberron: Dragonmarked - +10', does not specify land only
Divine Alacrity, divine feat, Faiths of Eberron, +30' (enhancement) for 1 round
Wild Soul 6, ecl 11, Complete Mage - +10'
Minor Shapeshift, reserve feat, Complete MAge - +5' enhancement, limited duration, see text
Swiftness of Orien, feat, Player's Guide to Eberron (p.48) - +20' to 90' enhancement to all speeds, see text
Freedom, Mantle, Complete Psionic - +10' (untyped) to all speeds
Berserk 1, ecl 6, Deities and Demigods - +10'
Extreme Leap, skill trick, ecl 2, Complete Scoundrel, +10' see text
Mark of Malbolge, feat, Fiendish Codex II, +10' for 1 round, see text
Absolute Steel, stance, Tome of Battle, +10' (enhancement) to all speeds
Bloodclaw Master 2, ecl 8, Tome of Battle, +10' while in Tiger Claw stance
Dark Creature, template, Tome of Magic, +10' to all moves of movement
Animal Devotion, feat, Complete Champion, +5-30' once per day, see text
Imbued Healing, metamagic feat, Complete Champion, +5', see text
Fist of the Forest 1, ecl 5, Complete Champion, +10' land
Forest Reeve 1, ecl 6, Complete Champion, +10' land
Holt Warden 2, ecl 7, Complete Champion, +10' land speed if already have woodland stride
Mythic Examplar 2 (Orsos), ecl 6, Complete Champaion, +20' all movement
Sanctified One (Kord) 1 or 3 or 5/5, ecl 6, Complete Champion, +10' foot speed
Jaunter 2, ecl 6, Expedition to the Demonweb Pits, +10' land
Swift Tumbler, feat, Cityscape, tumble at half speed +10'
Paragnostic Apostle 1, ecl 6?, Complete Champion, +10' from any spell that grants speed or increase, not just land

FocusWolf413
2015-11-01, 05:42 PM
Why not just more Stalker? Veiled Moon and Thrashing Dragon should already offer you some pretty good mobility.

I'm seriously considering it. Stalker is probably the most powerful way to go, but I'm already the most optimized member of the group. That's my backup plan, though.

1 level of trapsmith for haste followed by swiftblade 10?
post current build?

Right now, I'm a 3rd level martial G&G ranger, with the disciplines swapped out for Veiled Moon, Thrashing Dragon, Solar Wind, and Primal Fury. At 5th, I'm picking up a Stalker level, and at 6th, another level of ranger. Those levels are set in stone. The game probably won't go past 10.
I get weapon finesse, deadly agility, and combat expertise as bonus feats. I have spring attack as a racial feat.

Dervish isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Maybe shadow dancer it is core though probably better.

Yeah, that could work.

EDIT:
From the Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1068066):
Barbarian 1
Animal Lord (horselord) 3, ecl 8, Complete Adventurer, +10, +20 at level 7, see text
Atavist 5 (cautious spirit), ecl 10, Races of Eberron, +5' for all movement modes
Cheetah's Speed, wild feat, Complete Divine - speed becomes 50' for 1 hour, once per hour can move at 10X speed
Geomancer 9 (stage 5 drift), ecl 15, Complete Divine, once per hour move at 10X speed
Improved Speed, feat, Draconomicon - fly speed improves by 20', all others improve by 10'
Barbarian 3 (Fangshield substitution level), Champions of Valor - +10' while charging
Incarnate 3 (chaotic), Magic of Incarnum - +10' +10'every five levels, share with allies at 7th level
Barbarian 1 (Duskling substitution level), Magic of Incarnum, +10'/essentia (enhancement)
Dread Carapace, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +60' +10'/essentia (enhancement) once per minute
Lamia Belt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum - +10' (enhancement) plus spring attack feat
Nimble Bones, feat, Lords of Madness - +10', applies to undead created by someone with this feat
Vandalis Beastkeeper 10, ecl 14, Eberron: Dragonmarked - +10', does not specify land only
Minor Shapeshift, reserve feat, Complete MAge - +5' enhancement, limited duration, see text
Swiftness of Orien, feat, Player's Guide to Eberron (p.48) - +20' to 90' enhancement to all speeds, see text
Holt Warden 2, ecl 7, Complete Champion, +10' land speed if already have woodland stride
Paragnostic Apostle 1, ecl 6?, Complete Champion, +10' from any spell that grants speed or increase, not just land

This isn't quite what I'm looking for. My speed right now is 40, 50 next level. If I do jaunter, it'll be 60. I'm looking more for an easy way to grab teleportation, etherealness, etc. Jaunter might just be my best bet.

nedz
2015-11-01, 07:45 PM
6 levels of Horizon Walker can get you dimension door once every 1d4 rounds. Ranger is the ideal entry, well you get the skills and have Endurance.

The Fey Heritage feats can get you Dim Door 1/day, add in Dimensional Jaunt for unlimited short range jumps. The cost of this is 3 feats.

FocusWolf413
2015-11-01, 10:53 PM
6 levels of Horizon Walker can get you dimension door once every 1d4 rounds. Ranger is the ideal entry, well you get the skills and have Endurance.

The Fey Heritage feats can get you Dim Door 1/day, add in Dimensional Jaunt for unlimited short range jumps. The cost of this is 3 feats.

That 6th level of Horizon Walker requires 5 levels of Horizon Walker as a prerequisite. No thank you.
If I had three feats and 6 levels to throw around, I'd just take a level in some generic caster and use the teleportation reserve feat.

Psyren
2015-11-01, 11:20 PM
Elocater is a very high-moblity PrC, though I don't think it goes particularly well with either of the base classes you're working with...

BioCharge
2015-11-01, 11:50 PM
If you don't mind setting-specific material, the Blade of Orien from Dragonmarked has a lot of teleportation going for it.

nedz
2015-11-02, 05:08 AM
That 6th level of Horizon Walker requires 5 levels of Horizon Walker as a prerequisite. No thank you.
If I had three feats and 6 levels to throw around, I'd just take a level in some generic caster and use the teleportation reserve feat.

Three feats OR six levels — there were two different options.

FocusWolf413
2015-11-02, 07:30 AM
If you don't mind setting-specific material, the Blade of Orien from Dragonmarked has a lot of teleportation going for it.
I'll check it out.

Three feats OR six levels — there were two different options.
Still.

Rubik
2015-11-02, 07:49 AM
I'd rather use class levels for things other than speed, since spells and items can get you so much more than any PrC could. Nabbing speed as a result of a class should be a nice perk, not a focus.

Boost your UMD and add the horseshoes of speed property to your boots. UMD once per hour for a nice +30' speed boost. Armor of quickness (+1, XPH) for a +5' boost (and let's face it, armor enhancements are generally pretty blah, so it's not like you'll have much else to invest in with that +1). Horned helm doubles your base speed (and since distance is a real-world value, everything is doubled, even prior doublings). Panther mask increases speed by +5'. Rapid wrath weapon also doubles your speed (and also doubles prior doublings). Shaundakul's boots add +10' to your speed. Quicksilver boots grant an extra move action every round (for movement only). Shadahkar's swift wind grants +10' to your move speed. The phoenix cloak grants perfect fly speed equal to your land speed.

The Dash feat grants +5' to your movement speed. Draconic Aura: Swiftness grants +20' to Climb, Fly, & Swim speeds. Sapphire Sprint grants +5' per essentia invested to your speed for the day. Improved Speed grants +10' to all movement modes and +20' to fly speeds (dragons only).

Evasive Reflexes allows you to make a 5' step instead of an AoO. Combine with Combat Reflexes and Robilar's Gambit, and you can hop out of the way of attacks all day long. Combine with the sparring master of the dummy for 10' steps.

FocusWolf413
2015-11-02, 08:02 AM
I'd rather use class levels for things other than speed, since spells and items can get you so much more than any PrC could. Nabbing speed as a result of a class should be a nice perk, not a focus.

Boost your UMD and add the horseshoes of speed property to your boots. UMD once per hour for a nice +30' speed boost. Armor of quickness (+1, XPH) for a +5' boost (and let's face it, armor enhancements are generally pretty blah, so it's not like you'll have much else to invest in with that +1). Horned helm doubles your base speed (and since distance is a real-world value, everything is doubled, even prior doublings). Panther mask increases speed by +5'. Rapid wrath weapon also doubles your speed (and also doubles prior doublings). Shaundakul's boots add +10' to your speed. Quicksilver boots grant an extra move action every round (for movement only). Shadahkar's swift wind grants +10' to your move speed. The phoenix cloak grants perfect fly speed equal to your land speed.

The Dash feat grants +5' to your movement speed. Draconic Aura: Swiftness grants +20' to Climb, Fly, & Swim speeds. Sapphire Sprint grants +5' per essentia invested to your speed for the day. Improved Speed grants +10' to all movement modes and +20' to fly speeds (dragons only).

Evasive Reflexes allows you to make a 5' step instead of an AoO. Combine with Combat Reflexes and Robilar's Gambit, and you can hop out of the way of attacks all day long. Combine with the sparring master of the dummy for 10' steps.

This is all pretty excellent, but as I said before, I'm looking for mobility in forms other than speed. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to be moving sonic fast, but I'd prefer mobility in the form of teleportation and other goodies like that.

Rubik
2015-11-02, 08:14 AM
This is all pretty excellent, but as I said before, I'm looking for mobility in forms other than speed. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to be moving sonic fast, but I'd prefer mobility in the form of teleportation and other goodies like that.Feats and items for ToB shadow hand maneuvers for teleports and swift-action jumping. Soulmelds for ethereality, teleportation, and pseudo-flight. That cloak in Underdark that gives you the conjuror's abrupt jaunt ACF. Horseshoes of the zephyr and UMD for the elocater's floating ability. Chronocharms for swift action moves. A level in monk and enhancing your unarmed strike so you can add throwing and distance and flurry yourself around everywhere, and adding ghost touch for at-will incorporeality.

The only one of the above that requires a level of anything is monk, and one or two levels of monk are a great idea for a lot of character builds.

atemu1234
2015-11-02, 09:52 AM
Barbarian 1

Is someone in the mood to do the maths on the final speed with that?

Curmudgeon
2015-11-02, 10:39 AM
Is someone in the mood to do the maths on the final speed with that?
Nope. Way too much work removing things which can't be used together (bonuses of the same type, bonuses from the same source, bonuses which are incompatible for other reasons like class features disappearing if you change alignment, & c.).

Rubik
2015-11-02, 05:09 PM
Oh, and a psychoactive skin of proteus grants every single natural movement mode, as well as Su transportative abilities if you take the Metamorphic Transfer feat. Are you a planetouched, do you have the Otherworldly feat, or are you a neraph? If so, Metamorphosis into a nightmare and get access to lots of tasty Su, such as Plane Shift and Astral Projection.