PDA

View Full Version : Optimization DDoS Character

steppedonad4
2015-11-02, 03:29 AM
I've been toying with a character concept that centres around denying enemies attacks or punishing them should they attack. It's just a concept at this point though so was wondering if there was already something out there or if people could throw some ideas into the pot to get it cooking. I'd want this character to be fairly optimised for the concept so mish-mashed classes/abilities/stats, etc. aren't going to cut it.

So far I'm only brain-storming though so not really thinking about what works with what. For instance I've thought of some basic abilities that would work for the concept but not how to put them all together into a coherent character. Any suggestions?

My list so far is: Battlemaster Riposte, Light Cleric's Warding Flare, Protection Fighting Style & the Sentinel feat.

The Shadowdove
2015-11-02, 11:00 AM
Human blade warlock with polearm mastery, sentinel, warcaster. Possibly 1-3 fighter levels for proficiencies first.

Agonizing blast, repelling blast, and devils sight alongside the other melee focused ones.

Armor of agathys and hellish rebuke as spells.

Gives you a lot of options.

If someone walks into your polearm range repelling blast them away or sentinel them with polearm mastery.

If they hit you, they take prepared agathys damage and you can choose to hellish rebuke them.

You can also darkness the area and grant them disadvantage while you root them with sentinel.

JackPhoenix
2015-11-02, 12:30 PM
If someone walks into your polearm range repelling blast them away or sentinel them with polearm mastery.

You must use a polearm for the attack granted by PM, even with War Caster, Eldritch Blast can't be used (Sage advice). Arguably, Eldritch Blast can't be used with War Caster at all after level 5, as it can target more then one creature.

Joe the Rat
2015-11-02, 12:49 PM
Tempest has a nice lightning/thunder rebuke, but that's more punishing in terms of AOA than true denial.
Exceptional tripping/grappling (Athletics Expertise, BM tripping attack) creates a mobility lockdown, severely limiting their range of targets. Spellwise, Web, Command, Hold Person, or anything that uses up actions or prevents the target from taking actions would contribute.

Sometime I'm going to have to get "Rock and a Hard Place" running. Fighter or Paladin with Protection Style and a Rogue with Sentinel. Attack the rogue, F/P reaction makes it at disadvantage. Attack the fighter, the Rogue gets a reaction attack (with sneak damage). Run away, and they both nail you.

You must use a polearm for the attack granted by PM, even with War Caster, Eldritch Blast can't be used (Sage advice). Arguably, Eldritch Blast can't be used with War Caster at all after level 5, as it can target more then one creature.

Hadn't considered the beamspam of EB as a blocker on that cantrip. I'll have to keep an alternate opportunity spell in my pocket for those DMs that take that read on it. SCAG has a cantrip (Lightning Lure) that would be ideal for bladelock/gish types. They run, use your reaction to zap them and pull them back. You are Faerunian Electric Scorpion.

ruy343
2015-11-02, 02:21 PM
I would add to your list of possible mechanisms the bezerker barbarian gets the opportunity to attack whenever they're attacked (IIRC), which, combined with the sentinel feat means that if the opponent is adjacent to you, you get to swing at them with your reaction no matter what (attacking friend, attacking you, or moving away all would trigger an AOO), unless they take the disengage action.

Is there any way to prevent them from escaping with the disengage action? hmm...

Joe the Rat
2015-11-03, 10:54 AM
Sentinel allows you to take an OA even when they disengage.