PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Mirror Puzzle Room help pls

SangoProduction
2015-11-02, 04:44 AM
*Question.*
I have a mirror puzzle/riddle thing, and I need help with it. The riddle (written on the mirror, until it is moved) goes like so:

The broken pieces unite
One is two and two are one.
Friendship is tested tonight

If one fells by sword
Two are scored

Five rooms without a door
Each a key to behold
Take care young ones
Else you, do worms enfold
-
The first puzzle (room) was fairly simple - you go in to the mirror (portal), and maneuver in a way in which you and your clone don't collide so you can get the key at the far end.
This one opened up when the mirror was moved from its resting spot, but still on the wall

The second, I was planning on being a reflection of the characters' past tragedies. For instance, one character would see their friends...dead. Not in ways that they know (or think they know) they were killed, but still.
And again, the key is at the end of the room. I'm thinking that for this one, all members need to get the key to the entrance of the portal as well. Thus, all characters get to have their own little experience.

The next, a reflection of their desires. Similar to the second. However, some of the characters' desires are not quite so obvious. Also it might be a bit...too similar. I don't know what to do for this.
I also think that a single RP-centric thing is quite the experience, but 2 might be pushing it if there's no actual, mechanical challenge involved. Is there a way to add a challenge to this? (I can change what this is supposed to be, if need be.)

The forth, I at first thought to have the clones jump out and attack when they stepped through. And the ones that stayed outside have their clones in the room. When one is damaged, the clone/original is as well. The mirror (which is pure and polished before) is covered in blood before they enter. So, clearly the solution is to control them, or out smart them or everyone jump in so no one fights the clones.
Of course, I think they will try and jump through all at once anyway, as they showed when they completed the first one. I'm trying to come up with a secondary challenge in case they just all jump in at first.
Perhaps have the clones try and move the mirror if left unchallenged? But....what happens if the players just try and out race them, rather than stopping them? They don't have teleportation.

And lastly the 5th one, the one that opens when the mirror is on the floor. However....though I had an idea originally, I have completely forgotten it. I think this one would actually have the exit, leading to the rest of the temple, but beyond that I am...kind of at a loss for what to do here.

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-02, 09:40 AM
I can offer a couple of ideas.

First one sounds like you have it worked out. The only thing I might add is a little 'terrain' to the room to make moving past each other a bit more challenging.
Second one where they see their past tragedies you might make a situation where they have the choice to attempt to prevent the tragedy from repeating or get the key. So maybe have some innocent hostage who is about to face the same tragedy but saving them would prevent the hero from accessing the key.
The third one - the desire one, you could put a djinni (or other wish granter) in the room and the key on the other side of an apparently impossible obstacle - like an 'artifact' level ultra-prismatic sphere with 49 layers instead of just the normal 7. The djinni will tell them that nothing short of a wish will allow them to reach the key (whether true or not) and he offers them one wish - to use to reach the key or just to use for themselves. (This wish may be real or illusion depending on how you as DM feel about it.)
The fourth one you could just have everyone face a clone of themselves and they have the whole damage thing both ways - if the clone suffers an effect, the player suffers the effect. If the player suffers an effect, the clone suffers the same effect. Sort it out and get the key.
As for the fifth, have the physics in the room match the orientation of the mirror. So when the mirror is placed on the floor, gravity is up not down. They exit is actually not apparent at first as a large stone block fills the opening. When gravity turns upside down the stone block slides 'down' revealing the opening.

atemu1234
2015-11-02, 09:47 AM
The third one - the desire one, you could put a djinni (or other wish granter) in the room and the key on the other side of an apparently impossible obstacle - like an 'artifact' level ultra-prismatic sphere with 49 layers instead of just the normal 7. The djinni will tell them that nothing short of a wish will allow them to reach the key (whether true or not) and he offers them one wish - to use to reach the key or just to use for themselves. (This wish may be real or illusion depending on how you as DM feel about it.)

Or, better yet, crib the gem thing from Tome of Horrors. With a message explaining that any wish made with it go disastrously wrong.

SangoProduction
2015-11-02, 03:54 PM

First one sounds like you have it worked out. The only thing I might add is a little 'terrain' to the room to make moving past each other a bit more challenging.
Second one where they see their past tragedies you might make a situation where they have the choice to attempt to prevent the tragedy from repeating or get the key. So maybe have some innocent hostage who is about to face the same tragedy but saving them would prevent the hero from accessing the key.
The fourth one you could just have everyone face a clone of themselves and they have the whole damage thing both ways - if the clone suffers an effect, the player suffers the effect. If the player suffers an effect, the clone suffers the same effect. Sort it out and get the key.
As for the fifth, have the physics in the room match the orientation of the mirror. So when the mirror is placed on the floor, gravity is up not down. They exit is actually not apparent at first as a large stone block fills the opening. When gravity turns upside down the stone block slides 'down' revealing the opening.

I quite like those ideas. In fact, I like them quite a bit.

SangoProduction
2015-11-03, 03:15 AM
But, what happens when they choose to use the wish for their greed?

BowStreetRunner
2015-11-03, 07:55 AM
But, what happens when they choose to use the wish for their greed?
As I noted, it is up to you whether to allow them a real wish or make it just temporary/illusory (the wish goes away when they leave the dungeon). In either case, they then have to find another way to get the key. If the barrier is real this could be a problem. If it is just an illusion itself however they can overcome the illusion in the normal manner of such things.

SangoProduction
2015-11-03, 08:32 AM
As I noted, it is up to you whether to allow them a real wish or make it just temporary/illusory (the wish goes away when they leave the dungeon). In either case, they then have to find another way to get the key. If the barrier is real this could be a problem. If it is just an illusion itself however they can overcome the illusion in the normal manner of such things.

hmm, I can work with that. Thanks.