PDA

View Full Version : Anthropomorphic Animals from Savage Species

rawling
2007-05-26, 05:28 PM
Just a query; in Savage Species, under Abilities, it says:

"Str/Dex/Con by size change; Int becomes 11; Wis +2; Cha +4"

I guess that's the adjustments you make to the animal's attributes from Monster Manual/SRD etc.

However, in the table that follows, most animals are given -4 Chr, and none have positive Chr adjustment (I think.)

I guess this means:
- The table has pre-adjusted values (duh)
- They meant to say "-4 Chr" not "+4 Chr"

But that said... those are adjustments to rolled stats. Not absolute stats like you'd get from the Monster Manual, then adjusted as it just said (by size, Int=11 etc.)
Wha'?

Zincorium
2007-05-26, 06:29 PM
Just a query; in Savage Species, under Abilities, it says:

"Str/Dex/Con by size change; Int becomes 11; Wis +2; Cha +4"

I guess that's the adjustments you make to the animal's attributes from Monster Manual/SRD etc.

However, in the table that follows, most animals are given -4 Chr, and none have positive Chr adjustment (I think.)

I guess this means:
- The table has pre-adjusted values (duh)
- They meant to say "-4 Chr" not "+4 Chr"

But that said... those are adjustments to rolled stats. Not absolute stats like you'd get from the Monster Manual, then adjusted as it just said (by size, Int=11 etc.)
Wha'?

Anthropomorphic animals are pretty much unusable as is, it looks like somebody just threw it together and no one bothered to check whether things were even sort of balanced. I mean, take a look on the bat and baleen whale on one hand, and then the tiny viper on the other hand.

What I'd suggest doing is just come up with your own, maybe using the web enhancement WotC put out for savage species. It'll be a lot more useful, trust me.

rawling
2007-05-26, 06:42 PM
Heh, that sounds about right... Maybe I'd better just stick with normal races, stuff that doesn't risk instant death when people start discussing physics :smallamused:

Lemur
2007-05-26, 07:17 PM
Most animals normally have a low charisma score, so when you add 4 points of charisma when applying the template, you still wind up with a score below 10. This means that the anthropomorphic animal gets a negative charisma adjustment, but it's not as much as it would be for an ordinary animal. Also, if you look at the table again, a lot of them have a +0 or -2 modifier for charisma. In fact, I'd wager there are more anthropomorphic animals with a +0 Cha adjustment than a -4 adjustment.

That said, not everything in those tables is entirely accurate. If you apply the template to each animal in the monster manual, some animals will get different adjustments than what the table in Savage Species suggests.

Fizban
2007-05-26, 09:26 PM
Fax made this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37036) version, which seems to have fixed many of the problems with the savage species version.