PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Totaly Metal Paladin Archetypes

Turtlemancer
2015-11-02, 11:07 AM
I recently started on a set of Death bases Archetypes and ended up with two cool Paladin Oaths. Sense both are so close to being done, (Not balanced yet I decided to share them and get some feedback and Ideas. Before you get any idea these are not meant to be "Gritty" Lawful Neutral Emo Paladins, just less traditional Paladins with a more hardcore flavor, But still the awesome heroic and virtuous paladins I personally love. Admittedly these could work for a brooding Paladin with a penchant for stupid haircuts and cutting themselves but honestly the Oath of Vengeance is far better for that kind of character.

Paladin Oath of Rebirth
"Let the old man die, and the new man rise."

A Paladin who follows this Oath seeks to set there past behind them. Reborn Paladins are often Ex-Criminals or Once Fallen Paladins, however a Reborn Paladin could just as easily be someone who has survived a near death experience, maybe someone who feels they have squandered there life away on fruitless endeavors and seeks to instead do some good with what time they have left, or even have been someone who literally returned from the grave. Regardless of the life they leave behind those who take the Oath of Rebirth seek to set aside there old life and start on a path of selflessness and valor.

Forgiveness- We are all flawed and I am no exception, I must always remember not to judge others based on my own viewpoint and preconceptions, but rather by trying to see the other side of things.
Penance: I will never leave a wicked deed to fester, I will always seek to right wrongs however small or trivial they may seem, but will never terry in a urgent task or forget to afford myself time to rest.
Confession- Wicked deeds and inaction, can lay heavy on the heart, I will always lend an ear to a heavy heart, and will never betray the trust of Confession, save to persurve a life.
Rebirth: I have been given a second chance, because of this I will always try to afford others the same courtesy, but will never flinch in the face of evil deeds

Channel Divinity- Scapegoat: Anytime a ally within 30ft of the Paladin is hit by an attack they may take a reaction to use there Channel Divinity to take the Hit instead, trading places with the target of the attack. This action must be called after seeing the attack roll, but before seeing the damage roll.

Channel Divinity- Gaze of the Penitent: The Paladin may look into the eyes of a single foe, This enemy will have to make a Wisdom save, if they fail they are filled with dread and must flee until they or an ally within 5ft takes damage. In addition once they reach 30 ft away from the target they may make another will save to overcome the state every turn until they are released.

Aura of Absolution: Starting at 7th level you and any friendly creatures within 10 feet have advantage on saves against mental effects while you are conscious.
At 18th level, the range of this effect increases to 30 feet.

Reparations: At 15th Level Half of any damage done to you (Rounded down), is returned to your Healing Pool for Lay on Hands.

From Ashes:
At 20th Level the Paladin may cloak themselves in Flames A pair of Burning wings will sprout from the paladins back and a wreath of Fire will sit upon the Paladins head. In addition to looking like something off of a metal album cover the Paladin gains the following traits for 1 minute or until combat ends.

You remain alive and conscious even if you would be otherwise taken to 0 hit points. You must still make death saves.
Anytime an ally within 30ft of you takes damage you may take half of that damage instead.
Enemies that strike you or an ally within 30ft of you in this form must make a wisdom save or take 1d8 Radiant damage.
You must take a long rest before being able to use this power again.

I don't have a spell list for this yet so just use the Oath of Devotion Spell list for now.

Oath of the Eternal
"Don't Fear the Reaper"
Death is a scary thing, few can look the reaper in the eye and fewer still can face oblivion with grace. However there are those who can great there fate like an old friend, and none walk with more piece than the Eternal Paladin. Eternal Paladins except death and change as part of the greater order, as part of the majesty of nature and the beauty of creation. One should not fear death but embrace it, However Eternal Paladins are not axe wielding madman. They are compassionate and patient cloaked in grace and shrouded in peace. Friend to the mourner, Foe to undeath, and guide to lost souls.

Death- Change is inevitable all things must end, but from the death of old things comes the birth of new things. I will face death with grace, and face the final journey with hope.
Darkness- Night must fall so that a new dawn may rise, we must all suffer s that we may know joy, I will always seek to console others in there griefe.
Oblivion- We must empty ourselves of fruitless concerns will only give way to fruitless endeavors, If nothing awaits awaits me beyon the vail I will at least have a worthwhile life to console me in my last moments.
Eternity- Death is eternal no one can escape that, we cannot regain what is lost, only treasure what we have gained, and what we will gain in-time.

Channel Divinity- Sight of the Grave: The Paladin sends the fear of the Grave into the hearts of nearby Humanoid and Undead Enemies, these foes will have to make a Wisdom save, if they fail they are filled with dread and must flee until they or an ally within 5ft takes damage. In addition once they reach 30 ft away from the target they may make another will save to overcome the state every turn until they are released.

Mortal Coil- Instead of a second Channel Divinity at 3rd Level the Paladin may know ignore Resistance to Necrotic Damage, in addition anytime they would normally deal radiant Damage they will instead deal Necrotic Damage.

Aura of Dread: At Level 7 enemies within 10 ft of the Paladin are filled with apprehension granting a -1 to attack rolls and Wisdom Saves. At 15th Level this increases to 30ft and a -2 to attack rolls and wisdom saves.

Grave-bound: At Level 15 the Paladin is immune to undeath, Resistant to Necrotic Damage and my no longer gain negative levels or attribute drain from supernatural forces.

Angel of Death: At Level 20 the Paladin may cloak themselves in shadow and sprout black raven like wings becoming like the reaper. fore 1 minute or until combat ends, While in this form.
I don't know yet :).

3- divine favor, disguise self
5- darkness, detect thoughts
9- dispel magic, glyph of warding
13- guardian of faith, greater invisibility
17- dispel evil and good, banishing smite
-Cutesy of 1Forge