PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5; IC] A New Island, a New Life!

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-02, 11:32 AM
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?453921-D-amp-D-3-5-OOC-A-New-Island-a-New-Life!)

It was almost dawn when the ground started to shake.

Jumping out of bed, you hear the fire bells start ringing. You barely have time to put on some clothes before the roof begins to crack. Grabbing your most precious possessions (and whatever family you might have), you make it to the streets just before the house collapses on itself.

A bright glow on top of the mountain quickly catches your eye. The volcano is spitting out lava! You race downhill, towards the docks, where people are already being crammed into boats. You make it into one. Half a minute later, you are off, and just in time. The lava touches the water, fizzling and popping. You can feel the heat.

And, worse still, you can hear the screams of people being burned alive. It smells like charred flesh, too.

You have been adrift ever since.

It has been almost a week since that happened. Supplies on the boats are dwindling, even when complemented by fishing.

But there is hope. Yesterday afternoon, someone spotted an island on the horizon.

Today, you can already see it clearly. It is green, lush forest covering almost its entirety. Old ruins hint at a previous occupation and later abandon. This morning, the leader of this small community, a survivor of a noble family, called a meeting. As a result, you, the fittest members of this group, have been selected to take a small boat, explore the island, and return within three days with information and supplies.

Another refugee is tagging along with you. His name is Anton Quick. He is a young boy, convicted of robbery. He says he saved himself when the jail's roof collapsed, and has been offered freedom if he helps you.

You are now very close. A small raft has been lowered into the water. You climb down a rope ladder into the boat, with nothing but some equipment and food, and the ropes are cut. You row for a few minutes towards the island.

You can see the coast more clearly now. You see a small pier stick out from the sandy beach. There is also a small stone building in the middle of the beach. Beyond that, there is only forest. Old ruins stick out of the treetops, standing tall in the distance. Maneuvering carefully, the boat bumps into the pier. You all get out. The boat is tied to stone pillars. There were once iron rings on them to tie the ropes to, but all that remains now are rust stains.

You take a new look around you. Fifteen feet to your right is another huge stone pier, like the one you are standing on now. Ahead of you, to the right, you see the stone building. Fifty feet wide, with a smaller room on the left side, you recognize it as probably being a tavern or inn.

Everything is silent, except for the birds in the treetops, occasionally soaring over your heads. If you are going to be devoured or mauled to death, it isn't soon.

You are now on your own, and have three days before getting back into the boat.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-02, 01:11 PM
Gregorovitch is currently sitting on one of the rocks in the beach,"Hmm, the sands on this beach are oddly red, perhaps it has a small mixture of clay or another material within it?

[roll0] Rolling Nature to find something valuable in the sand.

Seiji
2015-11-02, 10:44 PM
Danto steps out of the boat and groans as he stretches. His leathers creak as if to voice their displeasure too, with the cramped confines of the boat. He turns his face up to the sunlight and visibly relaxes. The atmosphere aboard the ships crowded with depressed refugees is terribly oppressive towards someone who considers himself an optimist, and though the task ahead of Danto is filled with unknowns, he is grateful for the moment of peace.
After a short time Danto returns his mind to the task at hand and his eyes scan the coastline.
"It appears as though fate has handed us a very obvious starting point" he says, pointing to the stone building ahead of them "Shall we do some exploring?"

rs2excelsior
2015-11-02, 11:30 PM
Vyncent dismounts from the boat, bow in hand, scanning the horizon for movement. "Sounds like an excellent idea. Let's see what's in these old buildings. They could make a good shelter until we can start building something better."

Spot check for a general scan of the area, to see if it looks like we're alone or not: [roll0]
And a Listen check too, just in case: [roll1]

Recaiden
2015-11-03, 12:41 AM
"What happened to them?"

Victory stares at the abandoned pier, eyes slowly rising to the once-a-tavern, and carefully starts towards it.

"Yes. Let's do some exploring."

Dread_Head
2015-11-03, 06:01 AM
As Alvie steps off the boat he breathes a sigh of relief. It had been his first sea voyage and he had not enjoyed it one bit having suffered from terrible seasickness the entire journey. He follows the others forward to the abandoned houses keeping his senses alert for any movement. As they approach the building he steps in front and whispers.

"Let me enter first. There might be something lurking."

Then Alvie moves through the door and into the ruin.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-03, 11:26 AM
Feeling the sea breeze blowing on our face, you approach the crumbling stone building. A metal pole sticks out of the wall, where a board announcing a tavern used to hang from. Many stones litter the sand around the building, hinting that a second floor once existed but has crumbled.

Crossing the entrance, you see that whoever used to be there left in a hurry, perhaps hoping to come back. Some metal flagons still stand on the tables, while others were knocked to the ground, either by the wind or by the fleeing patrons. Glass pitchers that were once full of wine stand the test of time, and it seems that some bottles remain unopened in the shelves behind the counter.

Anton, having been the first to make his way inside the tavern, crouches behind the bar and reappears with some bottles on his hands. “Hey, folks, what do you say we have a drink before we go on?”

Without waiting for an answer, he promptly puts the bottles down on a table, looks them over and, despite the absence of a label, quickly decides on a bottle of what he declares to be vintage elven wine, uncorks it, and pours some into a flagon for himself.

“What do you guys want? I worked for a while as a bartender's assistant, I can tell you what's inside each bottle.”

From the wear the building shows, you can tell that it has likely been abandoned for over a century.

You see no signs of immediate danger.

You detect nothing unusual in the sand.

From the wear the building shows, you can tell that it has likely been abandoned for over a century.

You see no signs of immediate danger.

For those who are already rolling: remember the 2d10 variant! :smallsmile:

@Everyone: I see none of you have put any ranks in Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering; Local; History; and Geography. It won't be too essential for crunch, but it will be quite important for fluff. I recommend at least one of you has some points in them, but better make it quick.

I figure this is a good time for you to do some roleplaying, get to know each others a bit.

Don't worry, I won't let you guys chat for long :smallamused:

Dread_Head
2015-11-03, 12:12 PM
"These bottles have been here for about a century mate, can you be sure that's still drinkable?" Alvie says, walking over to stand at the table.

"This seems a reasonable place to plan our next move. Have any of you any useful experience with exploring the wilderness?" Alvie asks, looking round at the group. "Because I sure as the seven hells don't and it'd be nice to know someone has an idea what they are doing."

I've switched a couple of points into Knowledge (Local) but it's not a class skill for either of my classes so Alvie still isn't very good at it.

rs2excelsior
2015-11-03, 01:01 PM
"I know my way around fairly well. Grew up more out in the forest than in the town. I say we search these ruins, see if there's anything useful. We might be able to offload the ships for a while, too. I imagine some time on dry land would do everyone good." Vyncent glances over the bottles on the table. He seems nonchalant, but he does not set down his bow. "Any halfling ale in there?"

Ah, yeah, forgot about the 2d10 thing. Sorry!

Moved a couple of points from Handle Animal to Knowledge (Geography).

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-03, 02:16 PM
Gregorovitch raises an eyebrow and snatchs the flagon from Anton before he can take a drink. "Disregarding the fact that you are far too young too indulge in drink, what makes you think it is a good idea to imbibe in an alcoholic beverage on an uncharted island with possibly obscured threats and in a building where there was apparently a great rush to get out?"

[roll0] Rolling Intimidate in case he doesn't want to listen to reason.

Seiji
2015-11-03, 02:30 PM
"If any of this is drinkable," Danto has a doubtful expression on his face "we should bring as much as we can back to the ships. It would do much to improve morale."
Danto begins to search around the interior. "There must be something useful in here besides age old spirits. Wasn't there another room that we saw from the outside?"

[roll0]

Recaiden
2015-11-03, 02:51 PM
"Come now, sir. We've been cooped up on the ship for too long. Let him drink."

Victory herself takes a bottle of something at random, uncorks it, and takes a swig.

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-03, 02:53 PM
"Hmm, seems logical. I'll check the walls and floor for any possible hidden entrances or rooms."

[roll0] I can't seem to edit my sheet at the moment but I moved 3 ranks from decipher script to Knowledge (Architecture).

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-03, 02:57 PM
Anton sips some of his wine and turns towards Alvie. "Some of them will probably be spoiled, but most of these bottles are well corked, and you'll notice if it's gone bad, believe me."

He then takes another look at the bottles. Not finding what he's looking for, he glances back at the shelves, goes behind the counter, picks one, and tosses it at Vyncent. "I think this is it. Catch!"

He goes back to the table, and listens to Gregorovitch's speech with a raised eyebrow. "You probably missed the fact that I'm fifteen years old, almost sixteen, which means that I am legally allowed to drink. Not that ever stopped me from sweeping a drink or two before, heh.

'Sides, this thig was abandoned like a century ago, whatever scared them off is long gone. Even if it isn't, we're stuck here for the next three days. They made it pretty clear we weren't allowed back in the boat until then.

And third, you also missed the fact that I grew up in a street gang. I don't take well to people bullying me around. Anyway, want a drink or not?"

Finally, he turns to Danto. "I like the way you think. It's not enough for the whole fleet, though. And that would be the kitchen. We can check it out if you want to."

Let's wait for Sir Toast to make a move before we go on to exploring.

By the way, Vaarsuvio, I didn't want to sound mean or anything with Anton's answer, that's just how I think he'd answer. And remember, 15-year olds are adults in D&Dverse :smallsmile:

And noted on the Arch. and Engineering :smallsmile:

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-03, 03:05 PM
Gregorovitch doesn't seem happy about it but he doesn't continue trying to convince him not to drink. "I shan't imbibe, Wizards and drink don't mix very well, if you find something non-alcoholic I'll drink some of it.

Dread_Head
2015-11-03, 07:44 PM
"Sounds a solid plan Vyncent. Start by exploring the ruins and the surrounding area. We have several days to do so though and the area seems abandoned so in the mean time I don't see any problem in indulging in a drink or two. I know it'll calm me down a bit after the events of the past few days. That is if you're sure it's ok Anton?" Alvie says. Then he grabs the bottle of elven wine Anton opened and pours himself some as well.

Sir Toast
2015-11-03, 08:09 PM
Oliver had been quiet the whole time thinking to himself. He had followed the group into the tavern, and now spoke up and voiced his opinion: "Exploration is the right action to take, perhaps we should start by exploring the kitchen that Danto pointed out? We could possibly find something else of value in the kitchen."

He turns to Anton and responds "I myself won't take a drink as it interferes with my focus and concentration, although perhaps I'll take some to drink later before I sleep."

rs2excelsior
2015-11-04, 12:06 AM
Vyncent catches the bottle. "Thanks," he says, uncorking it and taking a small swig. "Danto's right; here's as good a place as any to start exploring." With that, bottle in one hand and bow in the other, he also begins searching the room for any potentially useful supplies or hidden doors or cabinets.

Search check: [roll0]

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-04, 02:07 PM
You take a good look at what remains of this building. Several wooden tables stand where they were left many years ago. Some stools are bolted to the ground in front of the bar, though the metal foot is rusting away.

To the left of the bar, there is a doorway that likely leads into the kitchen. On the right corner, a flight of stairs once gave access to the second floor or attic. Under the stairs, another doorway leads into a dark corridor.

You step into what was once a kitchen. The small room features a stone oven, a fireplace, and a large counter. In the fireplace, an overturned cast iron cauldron shows barely any signs of wear, even though a layer of dust and grime shows that it has been there for years. Stains of rust show where knives were abandoned over the rotten wooden counter.

Inside what remains of the cabinets, you find nothing but kitchen tools and tableware.

As you explore the smaller room, a strange sound reaches your ears. A muffled, thumping sound. You can't tell what it is.

Looking around, it seems to come from nowhere around you, but rather from below your feet.

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-04, 02:51 PM
Gregorovitch pulls out and loads his crossbow. "I suggest all of you draw your assorted weapons and prepare yourselves."

Dread_Head
2015-11-04, 03:28 PM
Alvie walks over to the fireplace and attempts to flip the cauldron upright, intrigued by it's apparent lack of wear. When he hears the sounds from under the floor he freezes and listens harder. "Shush everyone" he hisses as he draws his sword from it's scabbard.

Listen: [roll0]

Seiji
2015-11-04, 03:41 PM
Danto pulls his head out of one of the kitchen cabinets to look quickly at Gregorovitch, then hears the disquieting sounds. He whispers, "Where is it coming from?" Alarmed, he draws his short swords as quietly as possible and creeps over to darkened doorway under the ruined stairs. Careful to stay in the shadowed area of the room, Danto does his best to peek through the doorway.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-04, 04:02 PM
"Should I send down an illusion?" Gregorovitch whispers to the group.

Recaiden
2015-11-04, 04:06 PM
"You're all worrying over probably nothing."
Victory turns to face the dark door, expecting it to have stairs down, and waits.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-04, 04:46 PM
Peeking through the doorway, you can barely see a thing. Within a few seconds, your eyes adjust to the dark. You see a 5-foot wide, 25-foot long corridor, with three doors on the left wall and one at the far end, all three wide ajar.

As you move around inside the building, the sound doesn't seem to change in intensity.

Dread_Head
2015-11-04, 06:23 PM
Alvie heads down the corridor motioning for the others to follow him. He looks carefully through each of the side doors as he passes them heading towards the door at the end of the corridor.

Alvie has darkvision so can see just fine in the dark corridor.

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-04, 06:43 PM
Gregorovitch hands Alvie a Smokestick. "Do you want to try smoking them out?"

Sir Toast
2015-11-04, 08:19 PM
Oliver draws his Morningstar and Wand and follows Alvie into the corridor.
"Shouldn't we check the side doors as well" he whispers?
He tries to move silently, observe the surroundings, and listen to hear where the thumping sound is coming from.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

rs2excelsior
2015-11-05, 12:06 AM
Vyncent takes one more swig of ale before setting the bottle down, putting an arrow to his bow, and follows the others down the corridor. "Bloody hell, it's dark," he mutters softly as he double-checks each side door, keeping his bow at the ready in case of unpleasant surprises.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-05, 01:09 PM
As you walk down the corridor, Anton calls out to you from inside the first room.

"Ummmm... guys? YOu probably want to check the other rooms out..."

As you cross the doorway, you come upon a macabre spectacle. A human-shaped lump lies over the rotten bed. Upon closer inspection, it is revealed to be a long-dead cadaver, most of his bones still covered by rusted metal armor.

Seiji
2015-11-05, 01:15 PM
Danto quietly slips through the second doorway in the hall, his eyes darting around the room.

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-05, 03:07 PM
Gregorovitch walks into the first room and upon seeing the corpse, he quickly manacles it's wrists and ankles together. "Be alert, there might be undead around here."

Recaiden
2015-11-05, 03:55 PM
All open. How curious. But seeing two already taken, Victory heads for the third side door and looks around.

Sir Toast
2015-11-05, 07:52 PM
Oliver strides toward the door at the end of the corridor and quietly attempts to slowly open the door.

Move Silently: [roll0]

rs2excelsior
2015-11-06, 12:41 AM
Vyncent hangs back, readying his bow in case of unexpected trouble for any of his fellows. His eyes flash a bit at the mention of undead.

Readied action to fire an arrow at anything that might come from any of the doors and attack, assuming I have a clear shot.

Also, I think at least two of us were already checking the side doors...

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-06, 12:17 PM
You see nothing but a thoroughly rotten bed and a nightstand with its drawers thrown open.

Why did Gregorovitch even have manacles?! :smalleek:

@Sir Toast: all of the doors are already open :smallsmile:

Recaiden
2015-11-06, 12:30 PM
Victory strolls into the room, heading over to the corner where
A little crystal clambers out of her pocket, drops to the floor, and scurries around and over the chest, inspecting it closely.

[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Search

while she herself taps at it with her staff, listening to the sound it produces to try to get an idea of what could be inside.

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-06, 12:58 PM
Gregorovitch exits the first room and starts heading to the room at the end of the hall. "Come Anton, it is dangerous to remain alone." He hands Anton a signal whistle. If you run into any trouble blow on this and I'll come right away.

Sir Toast
2015-11-06, 02:40 PM
Oliver enters the room at the far end of the corridor on guard for any oncoming danger.

You see a 5-foot wide, 25-foot long corridor, with three doors on the left wall and one at the far end, all three wide ajar.

You said there were 4 doors and 3 opened so I assumed the one at the end of the corridor was closed?

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-06, 03:14 PM
You said there were 4 doors and 3 opened so I assumed the one at the end of the corridor was closed?

Ooop! Sorry, my bad! :smalltongue:

Dread_Head
2015-11-07, 07:21 AM
Alvie also enters the room at the end of the corridor, looking round apprehensively for anywhere leading downstairs.

Seiji
2015-11-08, 08:22 AM
Danto slips back into the hallway from the second room and whispers to his nearby companions. "Nothing in here."

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-08, 04:58 PM
"Well, there's a dried-up corpse in the room Anton and I checked. As you all should know, corpses only dry up and mummify in extreme heat or extreme cold. Since neither is an option here I am forced to conclude that a life-draining spell or ability was applied to him, either a magic-user or undead being could have done this, either way be careful. ", Gregorovitch whispers to everyone.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-09, 11:35 AM
You hear the sound of a full chest. :smalltongue:

This room was clearly used to store supplies, but everything has rotten away by now. In the wall ahead of you, a small window provides a small bit of illumination for the room. In the corner, a trapdoor lies open.

The "dried up corpse" is just bones and armor, no skin or anything else, by the way :smalltongue:

Dread_Head
2015-11-09, 12:17 PM
"I found the way to the cellar" Alvie says as he walks across the room to have a look through the trapdoor.

Recaiden
2015-11-09, 12:31 PM
Well, nothing left to do but open it.

And if it's locked, call for Anton. "There's a lock-box in here. Still intact."

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-09, 01:05 PM
Gregorovitch sneaks back to the room and grabs an arm bone, thigh bone, and skull to put in his bag. And a hand! He then runs over to stand behind Alvie quietly.

Seiji
2015-11-09, 02:40 PM
Danto hears Victory calling out to Anton about a lock box and sticks his head in the door. "Actually, I can help you with that, if I may?" Danto walks up to the box and thumps it lightly with his knuckles. "Hmm, we may have something here." He grins to himself as he leans in and attempts to delicately open the lock on the chest.

[roll0]

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-09, 03:17 PM
Danto jiggles the inner workings of the lock to no avail. The pad is still solidly locked shut.

Anton sticks his head into the room and says, "If you already got some competent help, I think I'll leave you to that. I'm not great at picking locks, really."

He then enters the last room and takes a peek at the dark hole as well.

Recaiden
2015-11-09, 03:37 PM
"Go right ahead, Danto."

Victory turns and frowns at Anton as he passes. What do they have a criminal with them for if he can't even do useful robber stuff?

Sir Toast
2015-11-09, 03:45 PM
Oliver also walks towards the trapdoor and looks inside it.
He turns to those nearby him and asks "What do you think this leads to?"

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]
Search:[roll2]

Seiji
2015-11-09, 05:26 PM
Danto frowns down at the chest. "I believe this lock's mechanism has been muddled by age. I don't think it would open even with the key." He calls out into the hall, "Oliver! Oliver, we need you in here with your morningstar."

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-09, 05:59 PM
Without a hint of humour in his voice, Gregorovitch says ,"I believe it leads underground."

He also looks around downstairs
Spot:
Search: [roll1]
Listen:[Roll[2d10+1

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-09, 06:00 PM
Listen: [roll0]

Sir Toast
2015-11-09, 07:43 PM
"I'm coming", says Oliver as he runs into the room holding his morningstar.
"Oh a chest, is that what you need my help with?"

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-10, 08:41 AM
Looking down the hole, you see nothing but a wooden ladder and the earthen ground below.

Anton shouts into the third room, "Guys, do you really think you should be wasting time with that? We can get back to it after we find out whatever is making this noise!"

Seriously, you should get going, or something is going to come at you, rather than the other way around. Just saying :smallbiggrin:

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-10, 09:28 AM
"Imperdiet Dapibus Aliquam." Gregorovitch says, causing clones of himself to appear next to him. "I'm heading down."

Gregotovict creates [roll0] clones and starts heading down behind them.

Recaiden
2015-11-10, 09:34 AM
"Anton, what does it matter? We'll find it enevtually or it will stop on its own."

As to the box, Victory nods. Is clearly still locked.

Dread_Head
2015-11-10, 11:27 AM
Without a word Alvie drops through the trapdoor electing to not bother with the ladder. When he lands he scans his surroundings thoroughly.

I'm assuming the drop is 10ft. or smaller. If it is more than that then he uses the ladder like a normal person.
Jump to take no damage (DC15): [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Sir Toast
2015-11-10, 01:30 PM
"Alright lets smash it open!" declares Oliver as he swings his morningstar at the chest padlock.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Attack Damage: [roll1]

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-10, 02:28 PM
Damaging the chest just enough to break off the top, coins, gems and jewelry spill into the ground.

Dropping into the ground below, you see a wide, short corridor that leads into a larger room.

x = ground
-/|/+ = walls/corners
* = Unknown

Not to scale

**********xx|
********xxxx|
+-----xxxxxx|
|xxxxxxxxxxx|
+-----------+

rs2excelsior
2015-11-10, 03:04 PM
Vyncent passes by the two trying to open the chest. He thoroughly approves of the morningstar plan, although he says nothing. Quickly, he follows the others down the trapdoor. Reaching the bottom, he begins rummaging through his pack for a torch and begins to light it.

I'm assuming there's no light down in the hole. If there is, don't bother with the torch. He'll still have is bow in one hand, ready to go if needed.

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-10, 03:28 PM
Gregorovitch pulls out a sunrod and also hands Vyncent one.

Sir Toast
2015-11-10, 03:51 PM
"Success" says Oliver who then turns to Victory and Dante: "C'mon lets go collect this loot".
"Let me just cast a detect magic spell" (Oliver casts a detect magic)
Oliver then gathers all that he can carry/hold. He tries to collect what is more valuable/magical/powerful.
After collecting what he can he runs back to the trapdoor.

Dread_Head
2015-11-10, 05:45 PM
Alvie walks to the end of the wall and peers round, ready to spring into action if attacked.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-11, 04:07 AM
Underground is dark, yes

Detect magic comes up negative. All mundane stuff.

Around the corner you see a large room with a busted wall to your left (same side of the room of the ladder)

Sorry for the crappy post, I'll put something better up this evening

Seiji
2015-11-11, 10:37 AM
Danto assists Oliver by speedily dumping some of the valuables into his haversack. "Victory, Oliver, make note of how much, we'll make sure everyone gets a fair share later. Now we must quickly catch up with the others, they seem to have moved on; I'm not sure where." Danto stands up and looks towards the hallway.

rs2excelsior
2015-11-11, 11:28 AM
Vyncent takes the sunrod from Gregorovitch. "Thanks," he says, putting away the torch and flint. He moves forward around the corner, bow in hand. He nods toward the broken wall. "I wonder what could've done that," he says, before moving over to examine the wall.

Search check to examine the wall, to see if it's just natural wear and tear or if it was destroyed: [roll0]

Is there anything else of note in the room, or any other exits?

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-11, 11:50 AM
"Hrrm." Gregorovitch says, looking around the wall.

[roll0] Search.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-11, 01:54 PM
Lowering yourselves into the cold, damp cellar, illuminated only by the sunrods, you find yourselves inside a small antechamber that leads into a larger room.

Stepping through the doorway and over the broken, rotten door, you take a good look at the room. Stacked against the stone-lined wall in front of you are rotting barrels, once full of wine. In the far corner of the room, several long stalactites stand witness to the passing of time since the island was abandoned.

On the other corner of the room, a small section of the wall seems to have been brought down on purpose, judging by the marks on the stone. It seems a tunnel was dug behind the collapsed wall.

You notice that the sound, no longer muffled by the ground and sand, now sound much sharper, like a hammer hitting rock. It seems to be coming from the tunnel.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1boVhXRoRhovI6EukrXmbp_KkvAvYtGw826AddkhsAI0/edit?usp=sharing)

The map is different from the description I gave above, sorry.

Now, I need a status check on everyone: who went down already? Those who did go down, where in the map are you? You are still behind the dotted line for now.

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-11, 02:05 PM
Gregorovitch moves over to the barrels and begins to inspect them.

Appraise: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]
AA 17

Edit: His clones also go next to him and begin "inspecting".

Dread_Head
2015-11-11, 03:52 PM
Alvie walks round the corner ignoring the barrels for now to look down the tunnel and see what was making the noise.

Alvie will be in W14 for now with every intention of heading straight over to the tunnel.

rs2excelsior
2015-11-11, 05:09 PM
Vyncent tucks the sunrod into a strap, holding it as best he can so that he can see and fire his bow. Stepping back, he allows Alvie to pass, readying an arrow.

Vyncent will be in X14, directly behind Alvie, prepared to follow him down the tunnel and with a readied action to fire an arrow from his bow should anything attack.

Seiji
2015-11-11, 09:08 PM
Danto drops silently from the ladder and looks around the cellar's antechamber. Damn-it, I shouldn't have let us get separated for a pile of coins. If any of them are hurt... Seeing glowing light coming through the doorway he carefully edges up to it and looks around the room for his companions.

Move Silently
[roll0]
Hide
[roll1]
Danto will be in V16, if he can make it there.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-14, 06:53 PM
As you make your way across the room, the light from the sunrods is gently snuffed as darkness engulfs you.

Swiftly, one of the "stalactites" swoops down and slams unerringly against the wizard's head, latching onto it and constricting.

Darkness gives a 20% miss chance. Mundane low-light vision and darkvision don't matter.

Mirror Image doesn't work because Blindsight

The Darkmantle used to be at AA13. No longer :smalltongue:

The attack deals a total of 18 damage, leaving Greg with 4 HP. Ouch :smalleek:

DC 11 Knowledge (Arcana) check to identify it as an Elite Darkmantle

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-14, 10:26 PM
He runs Full-speed up the stairs to Oliver. "HELP HELP, DARKMANTLE!!! OLIVER, I NEED THE HEALS!"

Knowledge (Arcana): 2d10+13

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-15, 09:44 AM
"DANTO! VYNCENT! KILL IT! KILL IT! VERBOUILESSE VIBRA TARGATHEN NO MIKA HAGJIA LOTHIRA! KILL IIIIIIIIIIT!!!

OoC: if I still can, I prestidigitate myself to taste horrible to a Darkmantle.

Recaiden
2015-11-15, 10:19 AM
This is why we shouldn't rush into things. Having pocketed a few pieces of jewelry as they left - such a shame, to be finding this at the one time in her life that shining treasure is useless! - Victory heads towards the cellar room, and then, as she hears the shouts, breaks into a run.

I think this gets me to AA19, on the staircase?

Sir Toast
2015-11-15, 12:20 PM
"Shoot, a Darkmantle, I'll heal you Gregorovitch!" says Oliver.

"With the help of the great Boccob I shall heal you" he declares as he waves his wand in the air directs it wand towards Gregorovitch and casts a Cure Light Wounds Spell.

Cure Light Wounds Spell: [roll0]

rs2excelsior
2015-11-16, 09:54 AM
Vyncent hears the commotion and turns toward the wizard, swiftly drawing his bow. "Hold still!" he calls out as he releases an arrow at the creature, aiming carefully so as to miss Gregorovitch.

Given that I have Precise Shot, I don't believe I need to take the -4 penalty to avoid hitting Gregorovitch. If that's not the case, I will take the penalty. Also, I'm assuming I'm close enough for Point-Blank Shot to apply.

Attack roll: [roll0]
Miss chance: (1 or 2 misses): [roll1]
(Crit Confirmation: [roll2])
Damage: [roll3]
(Crit Damage: [roll4])

Seiji
2015-11-16, 12:41 PM
Danto draws a short sword with each hand as he moves towards the screaming Gregorovitch. He is used to scrapping in dark alleys and confidently strikes out into the darkness at the creature attacking the wizard.
Attack [roll0]
Miss Chance [roll1]
Miss Chance(Blindsight) [roll2]
Damage on hit [roll3]
Sneak Attack if applicable [roll4]

Dread_Head
2015-11-16, 03:20 PM
As darkness falls in the room that Alvies senses cannot penetrate he turns and upon seeing the tentacly monster attacking Vyncent he runs across to attempt to free the wizard.

Move: To adjacent to Vyncent
Standard: Attacks with sword: [roll0] damage [roll1] miss chance (misses on a 1) [roll2]

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-17, 12:12 PM
Alvie thrusts at the magical beast, but his blade is deflected by the creature's though hide. Fortunately, his ally isn't harmed.

Then, another stalactite drops from the ceiling, and into the Barbarian's head, attempting to latch onto him. The beast slams into his head, but Alvie effortlessly breaks the grapple before the creature can do more damage.

Danto attempts an attack against the creature as well, but it is also deflected without breaking through the creature's defenses.

Four stalactites remain attached to the ceiling.

Just as the Darkmante begins to contract its muscles in a painful crushing motion, an arrow breaks through the creature's thick skin. The creature's muscles spasm, but it manages to keep constricting, dealing 11 points of damage. His legs giving way beneath him, Gregorovitch falls to the ground, unconscious. DC12 Fort save to become disabled, failure means he's dying, a natural 2 means he's dead.

11 damage to Alvie. The creature is now in Z14

Does anyone want to redo their actions? If they have an initiative 16 or lower, that is.

If you want to switch targets, you keep the same attack roll.

If you want to make a spot check against the stalactites, you have to spend a move action doing so. Also, I roll your spot checks :smallamused:

22: Alvie
20: Darkmantle 2
16: Danto & Gregorovitch
15: Vyncent
14: Darkmantle 1
13: Anton
11: Oliver
4: Victory

Greg, you better do something. Or, y'know, 8 to 11 crushing damage :smalltongue:

Just a reminder on the grappling rules: anyone grappling is considered flat-footed, you don't threaten anyone, you normally can't move (I'm making an exception, you can move at half speed). You can activate magic items that don't require spell completion triggers, you can attack with light weapons at a -4 penalty, draw a light weapon with a move action with a successful grapple check, get spell components with a full round action (no grapple check), cast a spell with no somatic components with a DC 20+spell level concentration check, or break the grapple with a grapple or escape artist check.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1boVhXRoRhovI6EukrXmbp_KkvAvYtGw826AddkhsAI0/edit?usp=sharing)

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-23, 03:31 PM
Struggling within the creature's grasp, Gregorovitch manages to regain enough of his concentration to cast a spell to make himself taste horrible to the beast. A moment later, it recoils in disgust and flies off. Gregorovitch slaps the beast away and makes a break for it.

Swiftly, Vyncent takes profit of the creature's surprise and fires an arrow that manages to break through its thick hide. The beast spasms, but is not yet dead. Instad, it chargest at the nearest attacker, now clearly clinging to life and desperate to get away.

Anton closes in towards the Darkmantle attacking Alvie, drawing his rapier, and attempts to run it through.

Oliver, almost bumping into a panicking Gregorovitch, lays his hands upon the wizard and chants a spell, restoring some vitality to his body.

Attack (Anton): [roll0]
Damage (Anton): [roll1]+[roll2]

My computer is very, very, very slow. Can you tell me if Victory is still around? Did she post an action that I ignored? Because honestly I don't remember... :smallredface:

Apart from that, is there anyone I'm missing actions for?

Also (I'm so ashamed to ask this...) given that this post took me about an hour to make, due to my computer's utter and absolute lack of speed, can someone please resolve the slam+grapple from the darkmantle against Danto?

Dread_Head
2015-11-24, 03:33 PM
After being struck by the tentacled monster adrenaline courses through Alvie and his movements become more precise and forceful. He spins his sword at the monster that struck him before lashing out again with his fist.

Swift action: Activate Amulet of Tears, +12 temporary hp.
Free action: Enter ferocity,
Full round action: Full attack - includes bonuses from Ferocity and penalties from TWF and Grudge Keeper
Attack 1 (with sword): [roll0] damage [roll1] vs. the darkmantle which attacked him
Attack 2 (with fist): [roll2] damage [roll3]vs. the darkmantle which attacked alvie (if it's still alive after the first attack, if not then vs. the other darkmantle)

Vaarsuvio
2015-11-24, 10:38 PM
Gregorovitch turns the the Darkmantle preying on him and grits his teeth in rage. He lifts his hands and begins to make arcane sigils in the air and mutter under his breath. "Etiam Temper, Efficitur."
As soon as he can he unleashes the spell
Touch Attacks: [roll0] [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] [roll3]
If he would kill the first one, he also targets the second.

Recaiden
2015-11-26, 10:56 AM
"Stop! Bad darkmantle!

But these are dumb, hungry squid-monsters. Not a lot of fancy tricks will work on them. So Victory points at the one nearest Alvie (if it survived that beating), and with a high-pitched whine, a spear of crystal springs from her fingertips to run it through.

Manifesting Crystal Shard, ranged Touch Attack for 7pp, expending my Psionic Focus on Overchannel/Talented, and regaining Focus as a move action after.
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] damage

Seiji
2015-11-27, 12:12 PM
"Urgh!" Danto recoils as one of the creatures latches onto him with its tentacles. He stumbles a bit, then, steeling himself, attempts to cut the Darkmantle off of him with his short swords.
[roll0]
[roll1]
1st [roll2]
2nd [roll3]

Sir Toast
2015-11-27, 01:36 PM
"Gregorovitch is fine, but I'll heal him one more time just to be careful"
As he thinks this, Oliver readies his wand and casts the spell again.

Cure Light Wounds: [roll0]

wkwkwkwk1
2015-11-29, 01:02 PM
Victory hurls a sharp crystal spear at the beast. However, it is merely slowed down, despite the immense force of the bast for such a small creature.

Alvie slashes furiously at the Darkmantle, but misses.

The second Darkmantle lunges, but is swatted aside by a very angry Alvie.

Darkmantle 2's DC 12 Fort save vs. strenuous action. Success: Disabled. Failure: Dying

Danto slashes at the Darkmantle, making it drop to the ground, dying.

Darkmantle 1's DC 10 Fort save vs. lethal damage while disabled. Success: Dying. Failure: Death

Seeing his target drop, Gregorovitch switches his aim.

Darkmantle 2's DC 12 Fort save vs. lethal damage while disabled. Success: Dying. Failure: Death

Another Darkmantle drops to the ground, dying.

Anton leans against the barrels and slides slowly towards the ground. "Good job, guys," he says, wiping the blood off his rapier.

Oliver patches Gregorovitch up.

Sorry for the crappy post, guys, I had a large one and poof, a crash. :smallfrown:

Anyway, good job! :smallwink:

rs2excelsior
2015-12-01, 08:31 PM
"Was that the last one?" Vyncent asks, scanning the ceiling. Satisfied that the threat has passed, he turns his attention back to the tunnel. "If everyone's alright, we should probably keep going," he says to the others.

Spot check to scan the ceiling, listen for the corridor. I'm operating under the assumption that the spot check turns up nothing; if it does, I'll shoot at it instead.

Also, is the supernatural darkness gone?

Seiji
2015-12-02, 09:23 AM
Danto sheaths his swords and gingerly checks his wounds.
"We actually found something in the lockbox upstairs. Did you find anything down here, besides these nightmare creatures?"

Recaiden
2015-12-02, 10:11 AM
"Well, really, it's just a bunch of silly treasure. Nothing that will be of much use yet. So I would kindly suggest that we do keep going, after all?"

The danger mostly(?) hopefully(?) gone, Victory descends the last few stairs.

Dread_Head
2015-12-02, 02:43 PM
Still in a state of agitated fury Alvie scans the remaining stalactites.

"Are they all gone? I think that's all of them. We should go find out what is making that noise!" Alvie jabbers away, seemingly forgetting for the moment they might not be alone in the basement.

Sir Toast
2015-12-02, 08:10 PM
Oliver walks towards the tunnel and collapsed wall, as his blood pressure returns to normal.
"Hopefully that was all of them. We should take a closer look at that tunnel.. the noise has been coming from there."

wkwkwkwk1
2015-12-04, 10:55 AM
You notice that, while you were fighting, the noise faded away. The loud noise has stopped. Everything is now silent, except for the panting of most party members, splattered in viscous fluid.

The other stalactites appear to be inert. Just like the two other Darkmantles did.

After a short silence, Anton says, "Guys... I think these things are still alive. The ones we 'killed', I mean. I think I saw one twitch."

You look at the ground and, amidst the persisting darkness, you see one of the Darkmantles dragging itself away from you, desesperate to get away.

Dread_Head
2015-12-04, 01:00 PM
Still amped up from the fight Alvie steps up to the injured Darkmantle and stabs it with his sword. "Best to put it our of his misery he says. Now lets go see what's down this tunnel."

Then he walks to the tunnel and starts heading down it.

Assuming I actually need to roll to hit.

Sword: [roll0] damage [roll1]

Seiji
2015-12-04, 02:43 PM
Danto draws one of his swords again and skewers the other Darkmantle repeatedly until the unusual darkness disperses.

Sir Toast
2015-12-06, 09:16 AM
Oliver looks with satisfaction at the impaled darkmantles and follows Alvie to the tunnel.

Recaiden
2015-12-09, 09:34 AM
Victory grimaces. Distasteful to just kill them and leave the corpses lying here. But lacking other options, she follows Alvie and Oliver without comment on it.

"The sound is gone."

wkwkwkwk1
2015-12-12, 12:05 PM
With sure hands, each of the Darkmantles is slain. However, the magical darkness persists.

Approaching the crumbled wall, you see a rocky cavern with sides and roof bearing the grooves of heavy picks.

Stepping carefully, you see that the cavern quickly opens up to a larger chamber with a wide, uneven pillar in the middle to prevent collapse.

You hear nothing but the constant dripping of water.

Hey, guys! Nice job handling the first encounter! You get 200 XP each! :smallsmile:

Don't forget the whole Level-Independent XP Awards thingie!

Now for a quick "behind-the-scenes" run: In the first (surprise) round, the two Darkmantles had a Standard action each. One of them used it to cast the Darkness SLA on a stalactite, while the other charged you with a standard action. From the SRD (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Charge):

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

Also, the darkness won't go away because killing the caster doesn't end the spell. Which was cast in a stalactite :smallsmile:

Dread_Head
2015-12-15, 03:47 PM
"The sound has indeed gone. That means it wasn't caused by a natural process..." Alvie whispers back to Victory before tailing off as he scans the room.

Sir Toast
2015-12-15, 08:05 PM
While quietly thinking Oliver lights his torch to see better and observe the area.
He then voices his thoughts to Alvie and Victory "I hear water dripping.. there must be water nearby.. perhaps there's pure water?"

Vaarsuvio
2015-12-18, 06:38 PM
Gregorovitch looks distastefully at his robes. 'Absolutely filthy.' With arcane utterances and a flourish of the hand he cleans himself off. He then summons a set of arcane armor.

He casts Mage Armor and Prestidigitation.

wkwkwkwk1
2015-12-26, 03:21 PM
Slowly inching forward, you make your way across the large room. As you advance, Anton whispers "Hey, guys, we should probably expect trouble ahead, we oughta keep as silent as possible. You guys in heavy armor should stay in back, maybe we could send someone scouting. And put out those torches and glowing rods, or at least cover them up a little!"

Torch duration: 60 minutes

For water, gimme a Knowledge (Nature) or Survival check :smalltongue:

Dread_Head
2015-12-26, 06:46 PM
"I'll go left, Anton stick close to me. Vyncent, Danto go right. The rest of you wait a little then follow." Alvie whispers before stepping into the room and carefully circling to the left.

Do we roll stealth?

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Seiji
2016-01-15, 10:21 AM
Danto nods silently to Alvie and begins creeping across the right side of the chamber, with both swords in hand. After their dangerous first encounter, he does not want to get surprised again.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

wkwkwkwk1
2016-01-15, 10:54 AM
As you go around the pillar, you see that the chamber begins to narrow again, though not by much. You think you hear the low chattering of voices in a rough language.

You think you hear some sentences in Goblin, with scraps of Orcish.

Dread_Head
2016-01-19, 08:57 AM
Alvie continues edging forwards listening intently to see if he can make out any of the words and trying to get to a position he can see the speakers.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

wkwkwkwk1
2016-01-21, 06:00 AM
Silently, Alvie steps along the hard stone. Ahead, he can see some light reflected on the humid rock surface. Leaning around a corner, he spots a silhouette, quite a bit larger than himself, talking to someone else he can see. The language is badly mangled and spoken very fast, but he can make out some words in orcish.

Then, he hears a low growl, deeper than that of any dog.

The silhouette snaps, in a clearer voice, something in orcish along the lines of "Shaddup!". The growling stops and turns into a whine.

It would be wise to turn back now, if nothing else to get reinforcements while keeping the element of surprise.

Dread_Head
2016-01-21, 08:57 AM
Alvie stalks back and gathers the rest of the party.

"Orcs ahead. They're big and violent. We should approach with caution." He whispers to the group.

Recaiden
2016-01-21, 07:43 PM
"Why was there no sign of them on the surface?"

Victory supposes they must have waited too long, if he's coming back to get them. The obvious question is 'why are they here?' and there's a lot of follow-up questions, but that's where it has to start. She concentrates and listens to the thins not being said down that way.

Manifesting Read Thoughts in the direction the orcs were indicated. DC 16 Will per target to avoid.

wkwkwkwk1
2016-01-22, 06:32 AM
You pick up the thoughts of an Orc. He is bored and tired. You pick up in his mind the presence of at least three smaller creatures near him. Then, you catch angry thoughts. Angry, hungry, simple animal thoughts. And this animal knows of your presence.