PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Selective Lingering Spell

Barstro
2015-11-02, 11:53 AM
I think this is already answered somewhere, but Paizo is down right now.

Can Fireball have Selective AND Lingering added to it?

Selective clearly states that it is for instantaneous spells (which Lingering changes). But there is a decent argument that the original spell is instantaneous, so it still works.

Necroticplague
2015-11-02, 12:08 PM
Yes, it can.

Psyren
2015-11-02, 12:19 PM
I think this is already answered somewhere, but Paizo is down right now.

Can Fireball have Selective AND Lingering added to it?

Selective clearly states that it is for instantaneous spells (which Lingering changes). But there is a decent argument that the original spell is instantaneous, so it still works.

Actually - as written, Lingering does not change Instantaneous spells to be anything other than instantaneous, despite making them, well, linger. It does not do anything to change their duration entry at all. Whether this is the intended result remains to be seen.

Necroticplague
2015-11-02, 12:50 PM
Even if you said Lingering changes the duration, it would still be legal if you applied Selective first.

Psyren
2015-11-02, 01:04 PM
Even if you said Lingering changes the duration, it would still be legal if you applied Selective first.

I'm agreeing with you that this combination is legal. I was responding to the premise in the OP.

Barstro
2015-11-02, 01:13 PM

Depends on if you view time as single-direction-linear.

Ok. I couldn't come up with a decent reason for it to not work, but I wanted to make certain that there wasn't a ruling against it anywhere.

Thank you, all.

danzibr
2015-11-02, 02:01 PM
Wow, I read the title as, "Selective Lingerie Spell." I didn't think my mind was that bad.

Necroticplague
2015-11-02, 02:26 PM
Wow, I read the title as, "Selective Lingerie Spell." I didn't think my mind was that bad.

No, we werent talking about Victoria's Secret Image.