PDA

View Full Version : Building an encounter visual using... Legos?

GladiusVCreed
2015-11-02, 01:10 PM
I am debating on whether or not I should follow through with this idea. It seems to be a fun way to present the encounter map to my party, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried to do this before, and if so was it fun or a flop?
Oh, and for the PC and NPCs I wouldn't use minifigures, I would use studs or some of the Lego board game figures. I still haven't decided that yet. This is meant to be a fun way to build a 3D world instead of the usual 2D on graph paper, not to represent any characters physical appearance :smalltongue: . I understand that this could put a lot of work on me when building complicated dungeons with multiple levels (I may just stay 2D for these) but for simple dungeons and encounters would this be a good idea? I'm just looking for insight from those homebrew masters so I don't attempt this and have it flop hard :smallbiggrin:

AmberVael
2015-11-02, 03:11 PM
I did this for a while with my group. Keep in mind that it may lead to some less than serious moments given the aesthetic, but we had fun with it and it was a pretty simple way to set things up. We actually did use the standard lego figures though, so that may have been a contributing factor to the humor element.

You probably should set up complicated areas in advance though. And I mean, that gives you an excuse to play with legos in your off time, so obviously its a great idea. :smallwink:

ComatosePhoenix
2015-11-03, 12:49 PM
If you could get a hold of some of the early mega-blocks dragons sets those had some really nice towers and wall designs. the minifigures were less goofy, but still minifigures.
The sets really dropped in quality and became far more ridiculous as time went on, at least in my opinion.

DigoDragon
2015-11-03, 07:47 PM
Early in my old local group's career, we used to have the saying "Time for a LEGO moment". :smallbiggrin:

LEGO works great for maps and encounters. The downside is set up. Can take a while if you don't pre-plan.

Freelance GM
2015-11-03, 09:50 PM
I wanted to do this very badly when I first got into D&D. For me, the limiting factor was that I didn't have enough legos to accurately represent the encounter area. Granted, I was also planning to use minifigs, and I'm pretty sure the scale I was using was a 4x4 lego stud square = 1 5ft square. Any actual dungeon I built would probably have ended up the size of a Warhammer 40k table.

I thought being able to give each player a lego minifig that actually represented their character would be a pretty cool perk. Plus, between the Castle sets, Lord of the Rings sets, Prince of Persia sets, Pirates sets, and some of the Chima sets, you have no shortage of options for character customization and equipment.

So yeah, IMO, if you have the time, dedication, and disposable income to do it, lego maps would be awesome.