PDA

View Full Version : How would you modify this barbarian?

MortalSword
2015-11-02, 02:31 PM
In Pathfinder Society I have designed a barbarian that I intend to use specifically target spell casters and survive. While my main goal isn't to make the casters life hard but rather get in their face and eat anything thrown his way. Then annihilate them the following round.

I'm searching for ways to improve survival and/or enhance his capabilities. Without further adiue allow me to introduce Bruticus!

Race: Human
Traits: Fates Favoured (+1 to luck bonuses) Reactionary (+2 init)
Stats @ 1
Str 18 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 12 Wis 12 Cha 7

Alternate Favoured Class bonus for humans = 1/3 to the Superstion Rage Power

Invulnerable Rager Archetype

Feats and rage power progression
1 Power attack, Defiant Luck (pg 77 ARG)
2 Rage Power: Superstition (pg 33 CRB)
3 Inexplicable Luck (pg 77 ARG)
4 Rage Power: Auspicious Mark (pg 26 UC)
5 Iron Will (pg 129 CRB)
6 Rage Power: Ghost Rager (pg 27 UC)
7 Step Up (pg 135 CRB)
8 Rage Power: Internal Fortitude (pg 33 CRB)
9 Improved Iron Will (pg 127 CRB)
10 Rage Power: Eater of Magic (pg 27 UC)
11 Extra Rage Power: No Escape (pg 33 CRB)
12 Rage Power: Come and get me (pg 74 APG)

Relevant gear I'm looking at:

Scarlet and Green Cabochon (flawed) - Combined with Internal Fortitude at 8 allows for rage cycling.

Headband of Fortunes Favor (+2 to all saves with Fates Favoured) or a stone of good luck, each has its benefits and drawbacks. Extra cash vs an extra slot for a headband of wisdom.

Cap of the Free Thinker to roll twice on those important saves.

Options I'm undecided on as of now. All of these plus all the unmentioned slots are open to ideas.

Back slot cloak of resistance vs double cost unslotted Amber Spindle Ioun Stones. Expensive. But frees up the back slot for other options. Also has the benefit of potentially adding the evasion feature when slotted in a wayfinder.

Pale Green Prisms (standard/cracked combined with flawed)

Foot slot - haste, permanent speed boost to get to casters faster, or negate difficult terrain penalties. I know haste adds speed but it is not a full time bonus.

Ghost rager rage power. This got errata'd and no longer adds the Superstion bonus to Touch AC, now it's a flat scaling bonus. Not as powerful as it once was when I designed this character. Thinking of retraining this at level 8 for the Disruptive Rage Power.

Bolstered Resilience. Effective after level 8 as you're immune to fatigue in a roundabout way. Could also retrain earlier feats or outright not get them for this feat.

Witch Hunter and spell sunder rage powers. I mean....as much fun as this sounds I'd much rather beat them to death or laugh as I grapple/pin the puny caster. And if it isn't a puny caster I want it dead asap anyways...

Anyways I'll leave the rest for the debate. As a recap let's go over what this guy can do.

Survive spells with rerolls and bonuses and roll twice before the reroll on the dangerous will save spells.

+ 2 will saves with rage + 2/3/4 (Superstition) + 1/2/3/4 (AFC Bonus) + Gear + base saves on all spells thrown his way. With a reroll once per day from the human luck tree, another 1/day from improved Iron Will, plus another 1/rage reroll on a fail, plus a once a day +4/8 on rolls, plus another 1d6 on those rolls 1/rage.

Have I missed anything? Or how would you improve this?

bobthehero
2015-11-02, 02:47 PM
Consider this http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/shirt-quick-runners your chest slot is generally empty, and being able to move + haste + full attack means a very, very, very dead caster. Its also cheap, only issue is once a day, but if you're encoutering casters that often, you got problems.

Foot slot wise, there's a boot that lets you do haste 10 rounds/day, not sure if there's something permanent, might be a good alternative since the perma one's gonna be expensive.

MortalSword
2015-11-02, 03:38 PM
Oh nice. I had overlooked that one many times. I have always considered that one next to worthless due to its 1/day nature. Good for an emergency only.

Now I am reconsidering this item as an offensive option.

MortalSword
2015-11-10, 09:09 AM
Just an update: Apparently the Quick Runners Shirt is banned for PFS play.

My original question still stands. How would you change this character or what would you do to it?

Iceheart2112
2015-11-10, 11:26 AM
I've had this same idea. You've got Witch Hunter (APG, +1 damage vs creatures with spells or SLA's), Disruptive/Spellbreaker (APG, grants the Disruptive/Spellbreaker feat; both are decent if you get multiple AoO's but if not then skip them). If its not an Unchained Barbarian, then I would *highly* recommend the Raging Vitality feat (APG, almost more than Power Attack). It can and will keep you alive longer.

Flickerdart
2015-11-10, 11:39 AM
Wear a robe over your armour, put on a pointy hat, and carry a staff-like weapon. If the enemy spellcaster thinks that you're also a mage, he's likelier to avoid targeting your "strong" Will save and will aim for your "weak" Fortitude.

MortalSword
2015-11-10, 08:49 PM
Disruptive/Spellbreaker (APG, grants the Disruptive/Spellbreaker feat; both are decent if you get multiple AoO's but if not then skip them).

I would *highly* recommend the Raging Vitality feat (APG, almost more than Power Attack).

The only downside of disruptive is by the time you get it, casters are almost trivializing concentration checks. Especially the ones with combat casting. Ex: Level 13 caster with CC and +6 casting stat (conservative....probably higher) needs on the die: 1 (level 1 spells) 1 1 1 3 5 7. Adding 4 to that only brings the hardest concentration checks to 50%~ish success rate. Not good odds but it's better than nothing I suppose. Then having a rage power/feat that runs off that low chance after the level 12 requirement means even more trivializing of concentration checks...yeah....

Raging vitality is great....but squeezing it in the build ..... Oi!

MortalSword
2015-11-10, 09:25 PM
Oh I forgot to mention I've perused the pages of Ultimate Equipment and discovered 2 Rings worth mentioning. The Ring of Evasion, gives you the equivalent of a rogues evasion class feature. This blends in very nicely with the ridiculous saves attached to this character. And the Ring of Foe Focus. +2 AC and Saves vs One target at a time. Assuming that AC applies to touch as well.

If I discover anymore I'll be sure to share them here.