PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Polymorph Any Object: changes in HD and effectiveness after 15th level

Zeruel
2015-11-02, 02:53 PM
Guys, I have this terrible doubt that no thread seems to talk about...

Let's say I'm a 15th level human sorcerer and I want to permanently polymorph myself into an elf with Polymorph any object. Now, since the max HD a creature can have to benefit from the spell are up to 15...:

1. When I reach the 16th character level, does the spell stop working, reverting me to a human?

2. Given that I may retain my elf form after gaining the 16th level, if the polymorph effect is then dispelled, does that mean that I can't get polymorphed again using PaO because now I have more than 15 HD?

3. Given that I can still use PaO on me, does that mean that I would be an elf with 15 HD, no matter how high my character level is, until I eventually revert back to human shape?

ComaVision
2015-11-02, 03:04 PM
An elf has one hit dice.

1. No.
2. No. There is no level cap for who you can cast polymorph on, just the desired form.
3. No. You'd be in the form of an elf and you have 16 HD.

Zeruel
2015-11-02, 03:26 PM
1. No.
2. No. There is no level cap for who you can cast polymorph on, just the desired form.
3. No. You'd be in the form of an elf and you have 16 HD.

Really? As I read the spell, it says it works like Polymorph where it's not stated otherwise, and since Polymorph states "The assumed form can't have more HD than your caster level (or the subject's HD, whichever is lower), to a maximum of 15 HD at 15th level", I would assume that PaO works this way too, turning me into a 15-16 HD elf, so why it's not like that?
At this point I'm figuring this could be a dumb question and I'm simply retarded, my bad... ^^;

Besides,

[An elf has one hit dice.

what do you mean by that, that character level is unrelevant for the purpose of turning into an elf? :smallconfused:

Flickerdart
2015-11-02, 03:31 PM
Your own hit dice never changes. "Elf with 15HD" is not the form you choose. You choose "elf" and become an elf.

ComaVision
2015-11-02, 03:32 PM
what do you mean by that, that character level is unrelevant for the purpose of turning into an elf? :smallconfused:

That's exactly what I mean. You aren't turning into a 16 HD elf, you have 16 HD and you're turning into an elf (1 HD creature). The HD requirement of polymorph stops you from turning into creatures that have a base HD of more than 15 (like a Cloud Giant, for example).

Zeruel
2015-11-02, 03:37 PM
Your own hit dice never changes. "Elf with 15HD" is not the form you choose. You choose "elf" and become an elf.

That's exactly what I mean. You aren't turning into a 16 HD elf, you have 16 HD and you're turning into an elf (1 HD creature). The HD requirement of polymorph stops you from turning into creatures that have a base HD of more than 15 (like a Cloud Giant, for example).

Oooh, know it all makes sense! Thanks guys, you've been damn useful! (^0^)b

AtlasSniperman
2015-11-04, 05:05 PM
Hey guys.

Rather than make a new thread I figure I'd stick this here.

I've read Alter Self, Polymorph and Polymorph any object several times to check.

Basically; can you change yourself into yourself with an addition. i.e. can a human wizard use PaO to change himself into "Himself with Darkvision" or "Himself with the Int of an Ancient Gold Dragon". Just as examples though.

ComaVision
2015-11-04, 06:22 PM
Hey guys.

Rather than make a new thread I figure I'd stick this here.

I've read Alter Self, Polymorph and Polymorph any object several times to check.

Basically; can you change yourself into yourself with an addition. i.e. can a human wizard use PaO to change himself into "Himself with Darkvision" or "Himself with the Int of an Ancient Gold Dragon". Just as examples though.

No, you turn into an average creature of whatever type. To that effect, you can't use it to disguise yourself as a particular individual of whatever species either.

EDIT: Ok, you can pick appearance but not ability scores.

Rubik
2015-11-04, 06:34 PM
No, you turn into an average creature of whatever type. To that effect, you can't use it to disguise yourself as a particular individual of whatever species either.PAO is, ultimately, based on Alter Self, which explicitly grants you the ability to disguise yourself as a certain individual due to choosing your physical appearance and grants you a +10 bonus on Disguise checks for that very purpose.

So I don't think your assessment is correct on that point.

Flickerdart
2015-11-05, 09:54 AM

No. None of those are actual creatures.

Âmesang
2015-11-05, 01:32 PM
I was kind of under the (false?) belief that the reason one might have to polymorph into himself is to fool magical sensors. "I'm not really Florin! I just magically disguised myself as him!" "Really? Hey, Guilder, you can use 'greater arcane sight', right?" "Hmm… yeah, checks out, he's using polymorph."

…good thing sorcerers get Bluff. XŢ

Flickerdart
2015-11-05, 02:01 PM
I was kind of under the (false?) belief that the reason one might have to polymorph into himself is to fool magical sensors. "I'm not really Florin! I just magically disguised myself as him!" "Really? Hey, Guilder, you can use 'greater arcane sight', right?" "Hmm… yeah, checks out, he's using polymorph."

…good thing sorcerers get Bluff. XŢ
Except that true seeing reveals the ruse immediately.

Rubik
2015-11-05, 04:30 PM
Except that true seeing reveals the ruse immediately.Invisible Spell'd Fog Cloud?