PDA

View Full Version : Preacher TV series

Brother Oni
2015-11-02, 04:21 PM
So they're having a crack at another Vertigo series (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNgI2sRzr8I).

Some curious changes from the source material, but I've learnt well enough not to believe anything a trailer says and wait for the actual series.

In any case, here's hoping it makes to a full season unlike Hellblazer.

Eldan
2015-11-02, 04:31 PM
I only have vague memories of Preacher, but I don't think I particularly liked it. Or at least parts of it. Too much seemed to be trying to be offensive for offensiveness' sake, in a really juvenile way. I.e. cursing, feces, arses, genitals mentally handicapped people, violence and religion, preferably all in the same shot.

They would have to change tons and tons to make a viable TV series that wouldn't get them lynched.

t209
2015-11-02, 05:59 PM
Yeah, that's the problem of adapting one of the over the top offensive comic book. Not to mention a boy whose face was deformed from shooting himself, the various commands by demon-angel baby in Jesse Custer that caused the boy's dad to get ruined before killing himself in disgrace, an obese cardinals, and the descendant of Jesus who has family tree of Targaryen.

Brother Oni
2015-11-02, 07:52 PM
They would have to change tons and tons to make a viable TV series that wouldn't get them lynched.

Apparently this is the fourth attempt to make a live action version of Preacher according to Wikipedia, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot has changed.

While I agree a lot of the original series was simply it trying to be offensive to be offensive, it did have some interesting ideas and characters - The Saint of Killer's backstory for example.

Kid Jake
2015-11-02, 08:25 PM
Was that supposed to be Cassidy in the cell with him? Overall it's probably too quick to judge, but so far I'm kinda underwhelmed.

Brother Oni
2015-11-03, 07:30 AM
Was that supposed to be Cassidy in the cell with him? Overall it's probably too quick to judge, but so far I'm kinda underwhelmed.

I think so. Wotsername in a Flower Dress from Agents of Shield (Ruth Negga with some research) has been cast as Tulip as well.

From the trailer, it looks like your typical 'peaceful man in a small town with a shady background' type story, so I'm wondering if they're selling it that way to draw in the people who haven't heard of Preacher then springing the whole Genesis plot element as a surprise, much like the first season of Game of Thrones kept all of the fantasy elements under wraps until the final episode.

I really hope it doesn't take that long to get the main plot started though.

Poll Comics
2015-11-03, 11:09 PM

I'm thinking so. Earlier in the clip (0:34), you see the same character- in the same clothes- shaking Jesse's hand. At 1:01, during the quick flashes, you see him sitting on in the shade casually looking at his hand on fire.

My favorite thing about the series was the full-on iconoclastic, irreverent satire. We'll see how the show plays out, but, like everyone else has said, I'm skeptical of it capturing that feeling.

Clertar
2015-11-04, 12:01 AM
Good grief.

Eldan
2015-11-04, 04:36 AM
My favorite thing about the series was the full-on iconoclastic, irreverent satire. We'll see how the show plays out, but, like everyone else has said, I'm skeptical of it capturing that feeling.

They won't. I mean, they'll have some elements. Junkie vampire? Sure. Genesis trapped inside a preacher? Yeah. Road trip to find god? Mhm.

Arseface or incest Jesus? Never in a million years. Not on American TV.

Killer Angel
2015-11-04, 07:16 AM

'til the point it will be no more "Preacher", but something different that happens to have the same name of a comic and some vague similarities.

themaque
2015-11-04, 02:49 PM
We have seen a small portion of what I am assuming ONE episode of a series and have seen zero supernatural elements that we KNOW will be in the show. It's impossible to really judge by what we have seen thus far.

That said.... yeah they haven't sold me on their Cassidy yet. But let's see what Arseface looks like on screen and how they handle... well EVERYTHING else in the show.

GloatingSwine
2015-11-04, 04:36 PM
'til the point it will be no more "Preacher", but something different that happens to have the same name of a comic and some vague similarities.

Like they did with Constantine and Lucifer then.

Anyway, there's absolutely no chance of them making anything even resembling Preacher. Hell they wouldn't even have made Father Ted for US TV...

Orrmundur
2015-11-04, 07:02 PM
They won't. I mean, they'll have some elements. Junkie vampire? Sure. Genesis trapped inside a preacher? Yeah. Road trip to find god? Mhm.

Arseface or incest Jesus? Never in a million years. Not on American TV.

Arseface has already been confirmed, though. Just how grotesque they'll make him look remains to be seen, of course. But I'd like to remind everyone that this is being made by the same guys who created a buddy comedy about assassinating a living, real-life world leader so I don't think they're too worried about crossing lines.