PDA

View Full Version : Monkless Shadow Sun Ninja?

ColossusCrusher
2015-11-02, 06:11 PM
So we all know it's pretty clear that Shadow Sun Ninja is meant to enter through a Monk/Swordsage or (Un)armed Swordsage with(out) Superior Unarmed Strike, but I was wondering what the Playground thinks of this entry:

Whirling Frenzy Spirit Lion Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/Unarmed Swordsage 3 - that gets you the requirements pretty easily (BAB 3, Hide 8 and a bunch of Shadow Hand/Setting Sun maneuvers), even though the loss of those sweet, sweet level one skill points hurts. It's pretty clear how this concept works - throw on Snap Kick, Adaptive Style, Knock-Down (if you have the Strength for it), Shadow Blade for less MAD, Extra Rage if you've got the extra feat slots. The +4 Strength from Whirling Frenzy offsets the -2 to the bonus attack, leaving you with only the -2 from Snap Kick, but at least you have an extra point of BAB from the Barbarian levels that the Monk entry doesn't get.

Since Unarmed Swordsage doesn't technically change the AC Bonus class feature, you can even use those armor proficiencies that Barbarian gives you! Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can hit BAB 16 without taking less Swordsage levels, but that's the way it works.

End result seems to me an unarmed warrior with a ton of attacks and mobility without losing the ability to use armor and still being pretty good at tripping. Any thoughts, critiques, improvements? Any glaring mistakes?

ComaVision
2015-11-02, 06:16 PM
Looks pretty good, imo. If you want the skill points though, just do SS 1/B2/SS +2. Doesn't make any difference for your maneuvers.

ColossusCrusher
2015-11-02, 06:22 PM
Looks pretty good, imo. If you want the skill points though, just do SS 1/B2/SS +2. Doesn't make any difference for your maneuvers.

It doesn't, but the +1 BAB requirement for Weapon Finesse is a pain in the neck. Not the worst problem by any means, but it's irritating.

gorfnab
2015-11-02, 06:49 PM
Instead of Unarmed Swordsage for the Unarmed Strike you could go with the City Brawler Barbarian Variant (Drg#349). It gives you Unarmed Strike and Two Weapon Fighting with Unarmed Strikes.

Chronos
2015-11-02, 08:00 PM
It doesn't, but the +1 BAB requirement for Weapon Finesse is a pain in the neck.
So take Shadow Blade, instead.

ColossusCrusher
2015-11-02, 10:53 PM
So take Shadow Blade, instead.

True, but still need to get Dex to-hit if I don't want to be MAD.

I'm generally a bit leery of Dragon Magazine material - Compendium is fine, and I prefer Magazine on a case-by-case basis (I looked at 319 for the Erudite on a whim and the unique powers/day table looks a lot better/less broken than the UPD fiasco we got in the update.)