PDA

View Full Version : Summoner's Zoo? (Monster Manual Showcase?)

Zombulian
2015-11-02, 06:59 PM
Hey everyone, something popped into my head while I was walking home today. I was musing about the failings of my old D&D group. One of the worst of which was both how combat-centric our parties and just general playstyle were, and how little variety we had in our fights.
It seems strange, upon looking back, thinking about how the encounter was always the climax of the night. We'd screwed around talking and eating and drinking while getting through whatever padding the DM had put before the combat, and then we all settled in for some good-old fashioned murder-hobo'in'. The problem was, we always fought the same stuff. It was always humanoids of some kind; kobolds (not tucker's), orcs, barbarous humans, etc. Or maybe every now and then it was a dragon (I mean, you can't have D&D without dragons right?).
I've been trying to get some friends here at my Uni into D&D and I obviously really want them to like it. Now, drawing from the fact that one of the first things any player does when they're interested in D&D is look through the MM and see how many cool monsters there are, I wanted to run an adventure to the same effect.

Basically, I'm trying to set up a situation where every living (or undead, just maybe no constructs) being in the MM are equally accessible (possibly the wrong word) to be fought in quick succession. The first idea I had about it was some sort of extra-planar “Wizard’s Zoo” (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PeopleZoo) that people could travel to in order to get an idea of what they’ll be summoning in the future. Then, probably by the prompting of some D&D-esque PETA member, the party is sent to disrupt this place and release all of the imprisoned monsters, who will simply *pop* back to their original planes and habitats. Only, that won’t happen.

I’m currently wrestling with how to execute this exactly, but I was thinking that the party would - rather than just pressing the big red button that releases hundreds of monsters - have to release exhibit by exhibit. After the first exhibit is released, the zoo will shut down with the party still inside it, and they’ll have to fight their way out. This causes an issue though. I don’t want to force the party into not getting loot, but what kind of loot would imprisoned monsters even have? Maybe they’ll get some kind of token from each battle that they cash in for essentially correct WBL from vending machines between the encounters? Since they’ll be new players I was considering just having loadouts of useful gear for them of approximately the same strength that they’ll be able to choose from at each machine. I don’t want to play the game for them or make choices for them, but I also want them to get a preview of what this game has to offer without them having to worry about making the wrong choice (that sounded wrong. But I want to give them a selection of good, cool options. Ya dig?).

Progression will be fast, taking the characters through their levels at the same speed that encounters become more challenging. This would be a lot easier to plot if the CR system made any sense at all (plus the inflation of certain CR’s over others - no I’m not going to have the players face every single CR 1/10-20 monster there is, that would be so boring), unfortunately things like TDC exist so I’ll have to pay attention to what I want to be throwing at them.

So! If you’ve made it this far I applaud you. That bunch of text above was just me trying to figure out the idea while I wrote it out. But my question for the playground is: How would you do it? Would you have themed exhibits? How would you trim down the monster list for a meaningful showcase?
The thing that’s resonating pretty strongly with me right now is the ol’ Phantasy Star Online mechanic of going into a room full of monsters that has an exit somewhere, and that exit doesn’t open up until all of the monsters are dead.

PraxisVetli
2015-11-02, 07:07 PM
Totally do themes, that way you can trim the MM by a fair amount. You don't need all 10 dragons when you can have 3-4, two chrom two met, not to mention the 30 or whatever species of demon/devil.
Also maybe have them 'recruit' certain monsters, like rust monsters to eat through bars. Things like the Ethereal Filcher could be bribed to distract guards as well.
I'll throw more ideas in later, at work atm.

Why not organize things by terrain/plane, then from there by CR?
Have the zoo arranged in sections, with the higher CR creatures on the outside, so the players steadily spiral outward as they attain higher levels?

Zombulian
2015-11-02, 09:43 PM
Totally do themes, that way you can trim the MM by a fair amount. You don't need all 10 dragons when you can have 3-4, two chrom two met, not to mention the 30 or whatever species of demon/devil.
Also maybe have them 'recruit' certain monsters, like rust monsters to eat through bars. Things like the Ethereal Filcher could be bribed to distract guards as well.
I'll throw more ideas in later, at work atm.

Why not organize things by terrain/plane, then from there by CR?
Have the zoo arranged in sections, with the higher CR creatures on the outside, so the players steadily spiral outward as they attain higher levels?

Mmm these are good ideas. I was already thinking that the exhibits would be accessible through portals to their mini-verses that contain the appropriate habitat, and yeah, helpful monsters was also an idea, but more to the effect of Good creatures like Archons or something choosing to help. I like the rust monster idea.

The spiral idea is probably gonna be the way I'll go about this. Each level having similar habitats but with different, more powerful monsters, and the exclusive exhibits for interesting foes (Plane of Shadow exhibit for Nightshades and the like).

Theodred theOld
2015-11-02, 10:30 PM
In terms of loot and such maybe one of the zookeepers is still in the zoo and could offer help to the PCs in the form of a well-stocked loot pile. Also I was thinking about some a the cool plants in d&d. New players might not realize that even the foliage can be deadly.

PraxisVetli
2015-11-02, 11:20 PM
In terms of loot and such maybe one of the zookeepers is still in the zoo and could offer help to the PCs in the form of a well-stocked loot pile. Also I was thinking about some a the cool plants in d&d. New players might not realize that even the foliage can be deadly.

So much this.
Terrain is massively underrated.
Fill the spaces between exhibits with foliage and vermin. Or just have them the environments in exhibits. There's no reason the only thing in each exhibit should be the main attraction. Things like vermin, shambling mounds (paired well with shocker lizards), and dire bats can fill green dragon exhibit.
Fill the black dragon's swamp with bolkers (sp? Spooky cloud things) and will o' wisps. The beholder caverns can have darkmantles or cloakers. The aboleth tank can have.. you know what? Nevermind. Aboleths are awful enough. (In all seriousness, skum and krakens, maybe sahuagin (sp?).
Don't forget that a lot of creatures might have young, and that it is a zoo, not the wild.
You don't need 8 hydras, a display will likely have 2-3.
Keep us posted on how this campaign plays out, it sounds pretty great!

Zombulian
2015-11-02, 11:54 PM

So much this.
Terrain is massively underrated.
Fill the spaces between exhibits with foliage and vermin. Or just have them the environments in exhibits. There's no reason the only thing in each exhibit should be the main attraction. Things like vermin, shambling mounds (paired well with shocker lizards), and dire bats can fill green dragon exhibit.
Fill the black dragon's swamp with bolkers (sp? Spooky cloud things) and will o' wisps. The beholder caverns can have darkmantles or cloakers. The aboleth tank can have.. you know what? Nevermind. Aboleths are awful enough. (In all seriousness, skum and krakens, maybe sahuagin (sp?).
Don't forget that a lot of creatures might have young, and that it is a zoo, not the wild.
You don't need 8 hydras, a display will likely have 2-3.
Keep us posted on how this campaign plays out, it sounds pretty great!

I've always wanted to have an Assassin Vine make an appearance in one of my games...:smallcool:
And yeah, the more I thought about it, environment started to play a bigger role in my idea for the exhibits. I was thinking that each exhibit would actually just be a bunch of scrying pools looking in on the monster while it functioned in its fake environment, activating the "release" would create a portal that would suck the party in. Each exhibit would be shaped and created by a spell that was bound to the exhibited monsters inside (perhaps with a certain radius - like maybe the size of my battlemat - so it's not like landing on a new world that they have to trudge through every time), and once they are dead, the exhibit melts away and spits the characters back out.
This way each exhibit features a bit of a hunt, as well as lending some experience to the different environmental factors. Also it makes the whole experience more than just "Knock knock monsters! BOOM GOTCHA" for every room.

Arbane
2015-11-03, 02:14 AM
As for loot, some monster parts are probably worth good money to alchemists, tanners, taxidermists, wizards, etc... Characters with the right skills (appraise, Craft: whatever, spellcraft, survival) should know what's valuable.

Zombulian
2015-11-03, 02:21 AM
As for loot, some monster parts are probably worth good money to alchemists, tanners, taxidermists, wizards, etc... Characters with the right skills (appraise, Craft: whatever, spellcraft, survival) should know what's valuable.

Yes but then the question becomes... who do they sell the parts to?

Bullet06320
2015-11-03, 02:45 AM
some long forgotten minor diety of hoarding created the zoo, using an effect similar to Ravenlofts where summoned creatures remain after the duration instead of returning on his demiplane. the zoo could be just one part of his realm, a section with nothing but eating utensils, books, coins, missing socks, could lead to interesting finds, and locals both trying to protect the hoard, and those trying to escape the hoard

a branch of the multiversal peta organization based in sigil or wherever u want, has heard about this place, oh the suffering of all the summoned critters that cant return home, and has hired the PC's to investigate

use this http://bronxzoo.com/map as basic chassis for the zoo, just populate different areas with terrain appropriate critters

Zombulian
2015-11-03, 03:02 AM
some long forgotten minor diety of hoarding created the zoo, using an effect similar to Ravenlofts where summoned creatures remain after the duration instead of returning on his demiplane. the zoo could be just one part of his realm, a section with nothing but eating utensils, books, coins, missing socks, could lead to interesting finds, and locals both trying to protect the hoard, and those trying to escape the hoard

a branch of the multiversal peta organization based in sigil or wherever u want, has heard about this place, oh the suffering of all the summoned critters that cant return home, and has hired the PC's to investigate

use this http://bronxzoo.com/map as basic chassis for the zoo, just populate different areas with terrain appropriate critters

While that's an excellent backstory, that map would probably be better for a quick 3-4 session adventure. I mean for this to be fairly long spanning. I may just use multiple zoo maps for each level though...

Bullet06320
2015-11-03, 04:42 AM
it was the first zoo that popped into my head so I googled it, lol
any zoo will do, im sure others have maps posted on their sites, you could also expand the scale

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-03, 08:21 AM
Loot's not hard. See, it turns out that the PCs weren't the only ones in the zoo when the **** hit the fan, and some of the others were caught a little bit more by surprise... (IE, have dead wizards/adventurers/zookeepers/tourists/whatever lying around here and there, still with assorted gear and coin on their bodies).

Then there are the intelligent monsters, who might have started to gather some treasure themselves. And if this is a zoo-zoo, there are probably concession stands and souvenir shops that can be looted.

Vogie
2015-11-03, 12:48 PM

I was thinking something closer to the entity "House" from the Doctor Who Episode "The Doctor's Wife", a bubble plane that acts as basically the kitchen sink of the planes. It could contain any amount of creatures, be of any size, and could contain any amount of requisite loot or individuals long since forgotten from the normal multiverse

Zombulian
2015-11-03, 01:31 PM
Loot's not hard. See, it turns out that the PCs weren't the only ones in the zoo when the **** hit the fan, and some of the others were caught a little bit more by surprise... (IE, have dead wizards/adventurers/zookeepers/tourists/whatever lying around here and there, still with assorted gear and coin on their bodies).

Then there are the intelligent monsters, who might have started to gather some treasure themselves. And if this is a zoo-zoo, there are probably concession stands and souvenir shops that can be looted.

Mm truuue. I suppose there could be a mechanism meant to poop the odd unlucky zookeeper back out so they can be resurrected. Could be a good way to equip the party with items necessary for certain environments as well (a couple dead zookeepers with amulets of water breathing outside the kraken exhibit or something).