PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Druid alignment handbook/guide.

Arc_knight25
2015-11-03, 10:53 AM
Hey all just wondering if anyone knows of a Druid alignment handbook?

Looking to send to a player to help them with their RP skills.

Geddy2112
2015-11-03, 12:01 PM
The halignment book thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?448812-Alignment-Handbook-Super-Thread) has all of the guides, although this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?453304-Pursuit-of-Happiness-a-practical-Guide-to-playing-True-Neutral) might be the closest to your particular issue.

Arc_knight25
2015-11-03, 01:13 PM
Not quite on either front. The character in question is NE. I am looking for Druid specific not generalizations that the alignment hand books are offering.

Looking for Druid specific alignments. More of how a NE Druid would act.

ComaVision
2015-11-03, 01:17 PM
Not quite on either front. The character in question is NE. I am looking for Druid specific not generalizations that the alignment hand books are offering.

Looking for Druid specific alignments. More of how a NE Druid would act.

There isn't one specific way that it would be, there's still quite a range within NE...

One example though would be a druid that thinks civilized humanoids are a blight against nature and thinks civilization needs to be wiped out for nature to flourish as it should.

EDIT: And I'm sure this is arguable as CE as well but the point is there isn't a simple definition that anyone can give you.

Fouredged Sword
2015-11-03, 01:25 PM
Evil druids seem to be associated with natural decay. Poison, disease... Natural savagery when the time is right.

Flickerdart
2015-11-03, 01:45 PM
NE Druids? Should be easy enough to write up.

Druids serve nature, but NE characters are mostly out for themselves. "Nature" is a very vague master, and while many druids belong to druidic circles, NE druids are not likely to do so. Instead, encourage your player to come up with what nature means to his character, and use that to guide his actions.

Druid serving nature
If your player decides that this should be his character's relationship with his source of power, then consider what nature wants. Every creature needs to destroy and reproduce to survive. The druid could see it as his responsibility to make sure that diseases or particular creatures thrive, by infecting a city or breaching the walls of a fort so wolves can get in, and then see if the humans inside can survive. Whenever this character is making a decision, the player should ask himself - how can I encourage the survival of the fittest? Such a druid is likely to kill prisoners (because they are weak), focus on offensive spells rather than healing, and seek out danger to test his own mettle. This sort of druid is likely to follow an evil nature god - the wrath of nature personified.

The player should consider why such a druid wants to be in an adventuring party. It could be that the party's goals align with the druid's - they kill the right people, they adventure in the wilderness (and purge it of weak animals), they are selfishly out for themselves and the druid likes that, and so on.

Nature serving druid
Other NE druids care about power, not really its source. They use their nature-given powers to further their own agenda. These druids are less likely to follow gods (something that is optional for druids outside of the Forgotten Realms) but more likely to have like-minded allies or minions. They are less interested in survival of the fittest and more in survival of themselves and the suffering of others. They still revere nature (insofar as they need to in order to keep their powers).

Arc_knight25
2015-11-03, 02:58 PM
Thank you Flickerdart. This is what I'm looking for. I'm trying to guide the player. As DM I have placed this character into a secret Druid order that follows the the 1st or 2nd edition Druidic order. Where to get further into the order you need to beat your superiors in ceremonial combat.

Now this can lend itself to a NE ideology. Planning ahead on how to deal with people in power.

I just need to set the player up to succeded. Needing them to find there own goals and passions. All I have really to work with is the player likes poison and wants power.

Fouredged Sword
2015-11-03, 06:38 PM
Well, natural poisons tend to come in two varieties.

You have venom, the aggressive poison. You strike your target with it and retreat, letting the poison do it's work before killing the weakened target.

Then you have the subtle stuff. Poison drinking water, poison food, sickness and other subtle weapons that the target doesn't even feel as it enters them.

Does you player want to include the subtlety?

DrMotives
2015-11-04, 12:16 AM
Thank you Flickerdart. This is what I'm looking for. I'm trying to guide the player. As DM I have placed this character into a secret Druid order that follows the the 1st or 2nd edition Druidic order. Where to get further into the order you need to beat your superiors in ceremonial combat.

Now this can lend itself to a NE ideology. Planning ahead on how to deal with people in power.

I just need to set the player up to succeded. Needing them to find there own goals and passions. All I have really to work with is the player likes poison and wants power.

Ok, well if you're using older edition druid organizations, you should check out the 2e Druid's handbook. I don't have most of my 2e books anymore, but I'm sure there was at least a little section of secretive NE druid operating a "shadow circle" within the druid circles, and that the shadow circle would be made of smaller cells known as "shadow arcs". The basis for that seems to be much like how cells of spies or government spooks would work. A given shadow arc member would only know his own immediate arc members, and maybe one contact in the larger circle outside his arc. This all assumes that the druid majority wouldn't stand for the existence of the shadow circle, your campaign's social rules may vary.

Arc_knight25
2015-11-04, 11:46 AM
@DrMotives

I have found a web source with the 2nd Ed content you are talking about. Right now I have set them up in the main organization. Later in the compaign I will intoduce them into the shadow circle. See how they handle 2 organizations and see where loyalties fall.