PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help to refine a new cleric with travel devotion

haakos
2015-11-03, 10:53 AM
Hello, I'm building a cleric, no evil allowed and better avoid chaotic. I've come up with these travel based builds.
My idea is to have a strong melee warrior and a versatile character outside combat.
Which is the best and/or how would you optimize them?
No more than 1 prestige class is allowed (but our DM tend to change them accordingly with rpg reason)

1) Fharlanghn
travel and luck domain, with travel devotion

2) Akadi
travel and trickery domain, with travel and trickery devotion, maybe dimensional jaunt and zen archery to attach when flying

3) Zannan, Cynor
travel and time domain, with travel devotion

4) Dipsodia (LG, greataxe), Colony (N, Unarmed and Gauntlets), Romena (NG, trident)
Travel and War, with travel devotion and holy warrior feat

For all build I would select these feats (our DM banned Divine MetaMagic):
power attack
blade of force (for blade barrier and other low level force spells)
extend, persist, quicken and maybe twin spell

Unfortunately I didn't find any deity giving travel and force domain or force+war domains, which would be, imho, another great combination

thanks

nedz
2015-11-03, 11:15 AM
Force is quite a rare domain, I could only find 3 deities with it. You could try talking to your DM about expanding other deities domain lists to cover this ?

Consider the Initiate of Fharlanghn feat (DR342 p51). It adds +10' move and a few spells onto your class list. It's better on other classes to be honest.

Flickerdart
2015-11-03, 11:57 AM
War is an excellent domain even without Holy Warrior, because of the spells it grants (plus Weapon Focus is a prerequisite for a bunch of cool things). Sadly, War Devotion sucks the big one. You can use your one prestige class on Contemplative to pick up an extra domain later on.

GilesTheCleric
2015-11-03, 01:05 PM
It seems like travel clerics have something special that keeps drawing folks to them. What is it about Fharlanghn/ travel-oriented clerics that you like? I'm thinking I might have to add a section specifically for them in my cleric handbook, and would like to know how to best focus that section if I do make one.

Here's a few (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?415201-3-5-Advice-building-a-speedy-Cloistered-Cleric&p=19254764#post19254764) other (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?413648-Cleric-of-Fharlanghn&highlight=initiate) threads that should have some useful information; I'll also mention the Guardian of the Road (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030623a). If your GM will grant it full casting progression, then it's better than taking regular cleric levels.

Xervous
2015-11-03, 01:53 PM
It seems like travel clerics have something special that keeps drawing folks to them. What is it about Fharlanghn/ travel-oriented clerics that you like?

Travel Devotion: extra movement that doesn't eat into your normal Standard + Move, allowing them to be used as full attacks a lot more often.

GilesTheCleric
2015-11-03, 01:59 PM
I know that, Xervous, but I mean that this style of cleric is being picked by those who aren't just looking at its mechanical advantages.

nedz
2015-11-03, 02:23 PM
I looked at Fharlanghn for my faux-Cleric Beguiler. I went with Solanil instead for various reasons, but that also includes Travel. Travel was the one domain I wanted.

Why ?

Fly + Dimension Door + Teleport.

Which opens up Dimensional Jaunt - though several domains will do that.

The granted power is very good, but Arcane Disciple doesn't give you that.

Mechanically Travel is one of the better domains.

Dread_Head
2015-11-03, 02:32 PM
I know that, Xervous, but I mean that this style of cleric is being picked by those who aren't just looking at its mechanical advantages.

Mechanically Travel domain is very sound as it has good spells, a good domain power and a good devotion feat.

In terms of non mechanical reasons, here are a few reasons I could see for wanting to play one:

Most parties adventure, most adventures involve travel and therefore a travel focused cleric seems appropriate.
Many deities clerics could be part of have quite strict and structured churches. The player wants to play a less restricted cleric for whatever reason.
It is a cool concept, the travelling priest is a staple of many fantasy stories.

Troacctid
2015-11-03, 05:59 PM
Travel has fantastic domain spells and a very good granted power. It's just one of the all-around best domains.