PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Initiator NPC Templates

Sacrieur
2015-11-03, 10:54 AM
Initiator NPC Templates
docx (https://1drv.ms/w/s!Auk2PVbuqky-gRWMlUXtSZP5jZ1Y) | pdf (https://1drv.ms/b/s!Auk2PVbuqky-gSL9HR8s46cLHncz) | backup (http://www.mediafire.com/file/wbe5ygkqbqrwwhn/Initiator_NPC_Templates.docx)

Hi there GITP!

So I've had a bit of a problem with initiators in my campaigns. While the players enjoy the maneuver system, I've only found it time-consuming when creating NPCs. With that in mind, I began to develop a solution that would permit me to include initiators into the world without too much trouble on my own part. It's an idea already done by others, but in a quicker, standardized way.

And so I present initiator NPC templates. They're in beta at the moment (and subject to change), but have been reviewed and used enough to be released publicly. For the moment I only have included content from PoW, but plan on creating templates for the disciplines in PoW:E when it's finally released.

I hope this serves you as well as it has me

Axebird
2015-11-03, 11:29 AM
This is a really cool idea that should cut down on my creature setup quite a bit. Thanks! :D

dpatino
2015-11-03, 04:16 PM
This is pretty great and will significantly speed up time creating some encounters. Thanks!

Sacrieur
2015-11-05, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys, any input you have on using them is invaluable. I love to hear about what's working and what isn't.

TheOneHawk
2015-11-06, 12:42 PM
Absolutely using this next time I run a campaign.

CGNefarious
2015-11-06, 10:36 PM
This is amazing. I'll definitely be using this for NPCs in the future. I spend hours creating bad guys and this could probably cut at least an hours off of that. Thank you friend.

angelpalm
2015-12-23, 04:43 PM
That's great work, I was wrapping my head around doing the same exact thing when someone linked me to this thread.

You think you will be able to do the same thing for the new disciplines, and how do you think the sleeping goddess and the elemental flux disciplines should be handled?

Sacrieur
2015-12-24, 09:29 AM
That's great work, I was wrapping my head around doing the same exact thing when someone linked me to this thread.

You think you will be able to do the same thing for the new disciplines, and how do you think the sleeping goddess and the elemental flux disciplines should be handled?

From off the top of my head, but don't consider it official:

Elemental Flux: Abjurist, Arcane Knight, and Elementalist.

Sleeping Goddess is a bit trickier, but I'm certain once I really dive into it I'll have something. Some PoW disciplines weren't really all that easy to separate into three categories, while others felt like they did the work for me.

Keep in mind you apply them as a DM, so things like Sleeping Goddess will be primarily focused around benefiting psions. Or maybe giving some pseudo-psionic power to someone. Because Autohypnosis is the skill, the NPC should at least have had a way to learn and develop it at some point in their life. Consider that you can't actually take manevuers through martial training feats if you don't meet the skill prerequisite.

angelpalm
2015-12-30, 04:22 AM
The unquiet grave is another one you might want to look into as well as it would be perfect for so many creatures, more so all the great undead that there are.

Tuvarkz
2015-12-30, 04:54 AM
From off the top of my head, but don't consider it official:

Elemental Flux: Abjurist, Arcane Knight, and Elementalist.

Sleeping Goddess is a bit trickier, but I'm certain once I really dive into it I'll have something. Some PoW disciplines weren't really all that easy to separate into three categories, while others felt like they did the work for me.

Keep in mind you apply them as a DM, so things like Sleeping Goddess will be primarily focused around benefiting psions. Or maybe giving some pseudo-psionic power to someone. Because Autohypnosis is the skill, the NPC should at least have had a way to learn and develop it at some point in their life. Consider that you can't actually take manevuers through martial training feats if you don't meet the skill prerequisite.

Actually, the requirements are either BAB or Knowledge(Martial), not ranks on the associated skill.

Martial Training I (Combat)

You've learned the basics in a martial discipline.

Prerequisite(s): Base attack bonus +3 or Knowledge (martial) 3 ranks.

Benefit(s): Select a martial discipline. The associated skill for this discipline is now a class skill. Your martial initiator level maneuvers granted by this feat (and subsequent Martial Training feats) is equal to half your character level + your attribute modifier that modifies your chosen discipline for use with this discipline (example, Dexterity for a discipline that uses Acrobatics), not to exceed your character level. Likewise, your initiation modifier is the attribute modifier that effects the associated skill of this chosen discipline (for example, Charisma if the discipline uses Diplomacy). You may select any two maneuvers from the 1st level maneuvers from this discipline, and you may ready one of your maneuvers for use. You may recover one maneuver by expending a full round action to recover it.

Special: If you ever gain levels in a martial adept class or possess them previously, these maneuvers continue to use their own initiator level and recovery method, independent of your martial adept level. Those wishing to add new maneuvers from a discipline that is already available to their class should instead select the Advanced Study feat instead.

DarkEternal
2016-01-15, 07:04 AM
Very nice. I'll be using it in my campaigns since every party member seems to use at least a dip in the PoW classes these days. I would recommend, since you put in "types" of enemies that use certain maneuvers, what class chasis do they use and if they use it, what kind of abilities do they rely on the most. For instance, the golden lion general user, what kind of tactical feat would a generic user choose to help his team mates, the fast ninja stalker, what ki ability did he choose and so on. But still, very solid job, thanks.

digiman619
2016-11-24, 03:52 PM
You might want to update the links, as I'm getting a "This link doesn't work anymore" page.

Sacrieur
2017-02-14, 12:25 PM
Links have been fixed, MS had updated all of their links to https without informing me.

I also added a link to my mediafire, in the instance MS decides to orphan my links again.