PDA

View Full Version : Mad Max or Fallout 4

Jeivar
2015-11-03, 12:52 PM
My birthday's on Nov 11 and I want to give myself a little present. Well, I SAY little but I will need to chop off my thumb for a new video card, but anyway, these are the ones I'm thinking of.

Fallout is... well, Fallout, but comparing Fallout 3 to New Vegas makes me a bit leery of another Bethesda game, coupled with the fact that major games seem to be inevitably released with a host of bugs and problems these days. Mad Max on the other hand has been out for a little while. I'm going to assume there have been some patches, and if the game lets me experience anything even somewhat similar to Fury Road I WANT it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

super dark33
2015-11-03, 12:55 PM
Consensus at the parts i frequent is that you better get fallout 4, as Mad Max might be fun but is a bit dry and MEDIOCRE.

Jeivar
2015-11-03, 01:06 PM
Consensus at the parts i frequent is that you better get fallout 4, as Mad Max might be fun but is a bit dry and MEDIOCRE.

Hmm. But we don't KNOW how Fallout 4 will be. And I did find the story and characters of Fallout 3 dry and MEDIOCRE compared to New Vegas.

thorgrim29
2015-11-03, 01:09 PM
And in Fallout you can get power armor and stalk the wasteland, shiny and chrome.

I have nothing else to add, games like Mad Max are fun for a while but I never manage to summon the interest to play them though, and I'll be waiting for reviews and probably lower prices before buying fallout

Sharoth
2015-11-03, 01:34 PM
IMHO I think that Fallout 4 will net you more enjoyment in the long run. Fallout 3 was a fun game with lots of replayability. I fully expect the same from Fallout 4.

Winthur
2015-11-03, 02:21 PM
Between these two postnuclear games, I'd obviously choose Underrail.

Ceiling_Squid
2015-11-03, 03:47 PM
Considering the fact that Mad Max released to a resounding shrug and little fanfare for such a promising concept, I'd put my money on FO4 instead, even pre-release.

Then again, there's always the anti-Bethesda contigent who seem incapable of drawing enjoyment from their games, and I don't know what to say to assuage that. In defiance of hardcore fans, I apparently manage to enjoy both pre- and post-Bethesda Fallout just fine, no nostalgia about it.

I thought FO3 was still pretty damn fun when I replayed it earlier this year, even if it was rather unstable on new hardware. And, at least aesthetically speaking, F04 looks more in line with classic Fallout instead of all dull browns and grays (my biggest complaint about FO3.) Was New Vegas better? Sure. Still had fun with FO3.

Raimun
2015-11-04, 06:05 PM
You should read a few reviews and watch a gameplay video or two if you are ever on the edge. Then decide for yourself.

Now that Ceiling_Squid mentioned it... yeah. I haven't heard anything from Mad Max... apart from the fact that it has been released. I might probably buy Fallout 4 out of these two but that's still "might". I think I'll gather some intel after the release. I have still games to complete and Fallout 4 is not the only thing I'm interested to buy.

GolemsVoice
2015-11-05, 10:43 AM
Gabe from Penny Arcade seemed to like Mad Max (http://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2015/09/08/mad-max)

Calemyr
2015-11-05, 12:25 PM
My birthday's on Nov 11 and I want to give myself a little present. Well, I SAY little but I will need to chop off my thumb for a new video card, but anyway, these are the ones I'm thinking of.

Fallout is... well, Fallout, but comparing Fallout 3 to New Vegas makes me a bit leery of another Bethesda game, coupled with the fact that major games seem to be inevitably released with a host of bugs and problems these days. Mad Max on the other hand has been out for a little while. I'm going to assume there have been some patches, and if the game lets me experience anything even somewhat similar to Fury Road I WANT it.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The thing about Bethesda, the wonderful thing about Bethesda, is that they learn. They don't just pump out the same crap every time with a new texture pack, whatever detractors might say. When they make a mistake, they learn from it. If they can fix it, they do so. If they can't, they work not to repeat it next time. They might have come up with the Horse Armor DLC, but I don't think they've ever tried it again, while companies the world over keep flooding the market with over-priced non-mods. They tried the "paid mod" thing, both to pad their wallet and to encourage "professional" modding, but readily dropped the experiment when it was clear it wasn't going to be accepted. Every game is built on the mistakes of those that came before. I really, really like that.

Of course, their games are still bug-riddled messes at release. It's frustrating, but at least they make their games so big that it's understandable. When smaller games can't get it right, I get much more incensed by the clear lack of bug hunting.

Plus, I've only heard the faintest of praise for Mad Max, so I'd go FO4 all the way. Just don't take your first run too seriously, as there will be issues. Just accept it - the Fallout world is so messed up that even games simulating it are a little fractured.

factotum
2015-11-05, 04:34 PM
The thing about Bethesda, the wonderful thing about Bethesda, is that they learn. They don't just pump out the same crap every time with a new texture pack, whatever detractors might say. When they make a mistake, they learn from it. If they can fix it, they do so.

Sometimes they overcompensate, though. For instance, magic in Daggerfall was widely acknowledged to be completely overpowered and made the game far too easy, so in the next TES game (Morrowind) they nerfed it so hard it became utterly useless. You couldn't regenerate mana easily and almost all the harder monsters had some level of magic resistance, so a pure spell-using character was impossible to create.

Calemyr
2015-11-05, 04:38 PM
Sometimes they overcompensate, though. For instance, magic in Daggerfall was widely acknowledged to be completely overpowered and made the game far too easy, so in the next TES game (Morrowind) they nerfed it so hard it became utterly useless. You couldn't regenerate mana easily and almost all the harder monsters had some level of magic resistance, so a pure spell-using character was impossible to create.

True. But then they modified it in Oblivion to use the lessons learned form Morrowind and the lessons from all three to inform their designs in Skyrim. Better or worse, better or worse, always moving forward by learning from the mistakes of the past.

Blackhawk748
2015-11-05, 06:48 PM
I own Mad Max and i am very much enjoying it. I second the "watch play throughs" though as i can very easily see people not liking it.

This is how a friend summed it up "Its like Arkham Asylum conceived a child with Red Dead Redemption while watching Fury Road" and i see that as a good thing.

NeenaNeal
2015-11-06, 02:44 AM
Thanks for sharing...

factotum
2015-11-06, 03:42 AM
I own Mad Max and i am very much enjoying it.

I'm also enjoying it, but I wish they'd chosen something...*anything*...other than the Arkham combat system when you're out of the car. I find that system to be annoying in the extreme--I never seem to be able to get the block button pressed in time no matter what, and Mad Max doesn't help things by having the camera sometimes move to a position where you can't actually see the enemy that's lining up a punch on you!

Blackhawk748
2015-11-06, 06:39 AM
I'm also enjoying it, but I wish they'd chosen something...*anything*...other than the Arkham combat system when you're out of the car. I find that system to be annoying in the extreme--I never seem to be able to get the block button pressed in time no matter what, and Mad Max doesn't help things by having the camera sometimes move to a position where you can't actually see the enemy that's lining up a punch on you!

Huh, i am not having that problem, though that may be because i like that combat system.

factotum
2015-11-06, 07:41 AM
Huh, i am not having that problem, though that may be because i like that combat system.

The block thing I acknowledge is entirely down to my own incompetence, because it's happened in every Arkham-style combat game I've ever played--Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Shadow of Mordor. I just keep missing the blocks and taking damage, more so when there are more enemies around. The thing with the camera I definitely blame on the game, though--it tends to happen when you're in close quarters with multiple enemies around.

Blackhawk748
2015-11-06, 04:15 PM
The block thing I acknowledge is entirely down to my own incompetence, because it's happened in every Arkham-style combat game I've ever played--Arkham Asylum, Arkham City and Shadow of Mordor. I just keep missing the blocks and taking damage, more so when there are more enemies around. The thing with the camera I definitely blame on the game, though--it tends to happen when you're in close quarters with multiple enemies around.

Huh, weird, im not having camera issues, that or i just dont care :smalltongue:

cooldes
2015-11-07, 04:51 PM
IMHO I think that Fallout 4 will net you more enjoyment in the long run. Fallout 3 was a fun game with lots of replayability. I fully expect the same from Fallout 4.

^this. i don't see mad max having the same effect