PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Invisible Mount/Attacking Rider

Hudsonian
2015-11-03, 03:19 PM
So invisibility spell on a mount turns the rider invisible also right?

Now, I know that if the mount attacks, there goes the invisibility. But what if the rider attacks?

Say a druid in eagle form is carrying a halfling in it's claws while the halfling is raining arrows down on unsuspecting enemies.

1) Do both of the remain invisible seeing as the Druid is not attacking and that the halfling is not a target of the invisibility spell. (I know... that would be a very improbable thing to get past DM fiat. But think of the possibilities!)

2) Does only the halfling become visible? Give him a cape because he has somehow figured out how to fly around Vision/Superman style! Maybe give him green or purple fletching on his arrows?

3) they both do the boring thing and become visible. No fun role play or strafing phantom of death from nowhere.

Vogonjeltz
2015-11-03, 04:49 PM

Brevity being the soul of wit, No.

Hudsonian
2015-11-03, 05:43 PM
Brevity being the soul of wit, No.

So I looked it up.

"A creature you touch becomes invisible until the spell ends. Anything the target is wearing or carrying is invisible as long as it is on the target’s person. The spell ends for a target that attacks or casts a spell."

if the MOUNT is the TARGET, the rider would be carried by the target. Thus, invisible. The rider is not a TARGET, but a THING the target is carrying. So... if a THING being carried by a target of the invisibility spell attacks with no participation of the actual target, how is the invisible status affected?

Edit: As a DM I would totally say that anything being carried by the target is considered to be an extension of the target and thus would probably rule the most boring of circumstances in most cases. But might allow for example 2 so that my players have a chance to feel awesome. (although the druid is totally useless for the encounter following that strategy, and just having a caster toss a fly on the halfling would be more effective) But trying to bend/break the rules through technicality is fun! I think I can safely say that if it COULD be argued that example A is RAW it is certainly not RAI.

Toadkiller
2015-11-03, 05:51 PM
Was thinking about this myself. While that is, indeed, what is says I don't think any reasonable DM will be ruling that way. A familiar on your shoulder, sure. Character on a mount. I can't see it working.*

*aren't I clever?

Phion
2015-11-03, 06:08 PM

Now, I know that if the mount attacks, there goes the invisibility. But what if the rider attacks?

Say a druid in eagle form is carrying a halfling in it's claws while the halfling is raining arrows down on unsuspecting enemies.

1) Do both of the remain invisible seeing as the Druid is not attacking and that the halfling is not a target of the invisibility spell. (I know... that would be a very improbable thing to get past DM fiat. But think of the possibilities!)

2) Does only the halfling become visible? Give him a cape because he has somehow figured out how to fly around Vision/Superman style! Maybe give him green or purple fletching on his arrows?

3) they both do the boring thing and become visible. No fun role play or strafing phantom of death from nowhere.

I would allow most of this as a DM primarily because it's a pretty nifty idea, I would allow the horse and the rider to become invisible (however if the rider attacks the horse and rider would both lose invisibility as the horse is likely being steered into combat). I would also allow the halfling to become invisible while in the claws but gradually becomes visible upon decent ( the eagle would remain invisible however).

It is important to note if a horse is charging at the enemy the noise will likely give away your position so I would give no surprise attack unless the npc does reeeeeaaaaally bad on perception to listen; although I would possibly overlook this with the eagle if its flying.

Osrogue
2015-11-05, 09:26 PM
What I want to try:
Step 1. Be a halfling.
Step 2. Ride on a party member's shoulders.
Step 3. Cast invisibility on party member.
Step 4. ???
Step 5. Profit!

Mr.Moron
2015-11-05, 09:36 PM
Well, I'd probably rule that a rider is not "Carried" in the sense cared about invisibility. Assuming it was though I'd just say they're sharing the spell and if either creature breaks it, both do. If you do half and half the spell is in this really weird state of being both on and off at the same time.

However given this particular way of looking things has already been ruled as "Boring" and killing Roleplay, I'm not sure why you even bothered to keep it open for discussion?

Hawkstar
2015-11-05, 09:58 PM
What I want to try:
Step 1. Be a halfling.
Step 2. Ride on a party member's shoulders.
Step 3. Have party member ride horse
Step 4. Cast invisibility on party member's horse.
Step 5. ???
Step 6. Profit!

More interesting version!

MaxWilson
2015-11-05, 10:33 PM
It might be worth mentioning the inverse strategy: invisible/Dodging/Sanctuaried rider who is not attacking, and a mount who is. Give the rider Mounted Combatant and suddenly Bob's your uncle, the mount is almost invulnerable.

Now just make that mount a Hasted T-Rex...

Vogonjeltz
2015-11-05, 10:45 PM
So I looked it up.

"A creature you touch becomes invisible until the spell ends. Anything the target is wearing or carrying is invisible as long as it is on the target’s person. The spell ends for a target that attacks or casts a spell."

if the MOUNT is the TARGET, the rider would be carried by the target. Thus, invisible. The rider is not a TARGET, but a THING the target is carrying. So... if a THING being carried by a target of the invisibility spell attacks with no participation of the actual target, how is the invisible status affected?

Edit: As a DM I would totally say that anything being carried by the target is considered to be an extension of the target and thus would probably rule the most boring of circumstances in most cases. But might allow for example 2 so that my players have a chance to feel awesome. (although the druid is totally useless for the encounter following that strategy, and just having a caster toss a fly on the halfling would be more effective) But trying to bend/break the rules through technicality is fun! I think I can safely say that if it COULD be argued that example A is RAW it is certainly not RAI.

Any thing not Any one.

Mjolnirbear
2015-11-05, 11:59 PM
Paladin/Find Steed?

Slipperychicken
2015-11-06, 02:41 PM
There was actually a figure in Arthurian legend, Sir Garlon, who did this. He literally used magic to turn himself and his horse invisible, then ran around murdering knights seemingly at random. Of course, he was decapitated later during a feast.

Still, I'd say the invisibility ends if the rider attacks. If you want to attack people without your invisibility ending, then you get Greater Invisibility. This isn't something you should be doing for hours at a time at level 3.

Mavrik
2015-11-09, 01:59 PM
Sentient creatures with spell effects current ongoing abide by rules individually. If you cast Invisibility on a friend and said friend attacks, does he stay invisible? Yeah, no. What would lead you to believe that would not be the case if your mount has the same effect?

If you Attack, your invisibility ends, and the horse's is maintained. At that point the horse's invisibility is equal to its normal Disengage Action choice, while your concentration is wasted on a very obvious illusion. This is of course how Find Steed and Paladin interact. I'd rule a PC cannot be worn or carried, because they are mounted. Worn or carried applies to inanimate objects (or sentient weapons).