PDA

View Full Version : A Little Something for TWF and S&B...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-27, 01:06 AM
This is a special attack, much like a disarm or trip.

Sweep: When fighting with two weapons, or with one weapon and a shield, you may sweep your opponent’s defenses aside and hold them there long enough to land a few blows relatively unhindered.

Step 1: You and the defender make opposed attack rolls with your respective weapons. The wielder of a two-handed weapon gets a +4 bonus on this roll, the wielder of a light weapon takes a -4 penalty, and the wielder of a shield adds his shield bonus to the roll. If the combatants are of different sizes, the larger combatant gets a +4 bonus per size category of difference.

Step 2: If you beat the defender, the defender is considered flat-footed against your attacks this round, but you lose any additional attacks with the weapon you used for the sweep attempt.

If the defender beat you, you provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender, which is resolved before you make any additional attacks or take any other actions this round.

Fizban
2007-05-27, 02:08 PM
So I assume that you choose to use this or not when you start making attacks? It should probably require a commitment to a full attack action otherwise you could make move and make a sweep attack without suffering from the loss of the extra attacks.

The way it's worded seems to assume that the user was going into a full attack with two weapons, what happens if you do it with a shield but not dual wielding? Since you aren't losing any additional attacks the logical choice would be to lose the shield's AC bonus.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-27, 05:06 PM
So I assume that you choose to use this or not when you start making attacks? It should probably require a commitment to a full attack action otherwise you could make move and make a sweep attack without suffering from the loss of the extra attacks.

Hmm. Maybe have it grant an extra attack at the same attack bonus, like a trip attack?

The way it's worded seems to assume that the user was going into a full attack with two weapons, what happens if you do it with a shield but not dual wielding? Since you aren't losing any additional attacks the logical choice would be to lose the shield's AC bonus.

Well, if you're using a shield for it, then yes, you would lose your shield bonus. But that's a rule about using shields to attack, so I didn't think it needed to be specified here.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-04, 08:39 AM
Anyone else have an opinion?

Abardam
2007-06-04, 08:48 AM
I'm getting mental images of a greatsword-wielding fighter using this and then kicking the other guy in the gut.
What if your opponent is also wielding two weapons, though? Still flatfooted?

Nnanji
2007-06-04, 08:51 AM
I like the idea behind it but you do need to specify what kind of action this takes. If used as part of a full attack, do you only lose the extra attacks from the off hand weapon? For a rogue especially, if they have BAB of +8, do they get the two attacks granted by their BAB with the two sneak attacks for the enemy being flat-footed, and only lose the extra attack from their off hand weapon? Or does the sweep count as a full-attack option (just like attacking with both weapons would) and only grant an extra bonus attack at the highest attack bonus (and would this attack have the -2 penalty for using both weapons?)

Abardam
2007-06-04, 08:54 AM
He said special attack, so I'm assuming it replaces a regular attack (like, as mentioned, disarm and trip. And sunder.)

Lord Iames Osari
2007-06-12, 04:55 PM
That's absolutely correct.

Tracersmith
2007-06-12, 05:55 PM
This is a special attack, much like a disarm or trip.

Sweep: When fighting with two weapons, or with one weapon and a shield

might i suggest adding using a double weapon to this list (ie quarterstaff sweep then hit with other end)

And you never answered what happens if the opponent is dual welding/shield & weapon/double weapon?

Callix
2007-06-12, 07:14 PM
The option of a greatsword-wielding fighter doing this to a monk, then power attacking the hell out of them is not one I guess you were looking for. Make this a feat requiring Two-Weapon Fighting and either Power Attack or Combat Expertise (your choice) as prereq's. Maybe even an Improved version that has no AoO and +4 to do? Cool move, but as written, a bit open to abuse. Also, do other characters get to sneak attack if they act between sweeper and sweeped?