PDA

View Full Version : Prismatic wall vs Misty step (or any other teleport spell)

Phion
2015-11-03, 05:39 PM
Hello, it's been a while since I have posted. I was just wondering if there is any rule with Prismatic wall spell which would stop a character simply using misty step through the wall avoiding prismatic wall.

Fwiffo86
2015-11-03, 05:44 PM
Hello, it's been a while since I have posted. I was just wondering if there is any rule with Prismatic wall spell which would stop a character simply using misty step through the wall avoiding prismatic wall.

If it isn't listed, I would say let them step through. And suffer the consequences of magically moving through the wall.

Maybe give them advantage on saves to resist the effects due to the teleportation.

Phion
2015-11-03, 06:00 PM
If it isn't listed, I would say let them step through. And suffer the consequences of magically moving through the wall.

Maybe give them advantage on saves to resist the effects due to the teleportation.

That would make sense in many regards, I find it quite odd that wizards would miss something like that though.

JNAProductions
2015-11-03, 06:13 PM
Wizards of the Coast are kinda dumb. :P

In all seriousness, though, they do goof up. Mistakes happen. They're only human.

Phion
2015-11-03, 06:19 PM
Wizards of the Coast are kinda dumb. :P

In all seriousness, though, they do goof up. Mistakes happen. They're only human.

Yeah that's fair, I mean it is limited to some spell casters who can do this and you could argue that everything should have some kind of solution even for lower level characters

steppedonad4
2015-11-03, 06:33 PM

Yes, the Misty Step spell description states that you must be able to see the destination point. The Prismatic Wall spell says it is an opaque wall meaning that you can't teleport through it with Misty Step, ergo, Wizards of the Coast are not dumb :)

quixotecoyote
2015-11-03, 06:45 PM
Yes, the Misty Step spell description states that you must be able to see the destination point. The Prismatic Wall spell says it is an opaque wall meaning that you can't teleport through it with Misty Step, ergo, Wizards of the Coast are not dumb :)

You could, however, misty step to a space OVER and beyond the wall, and then fall 30 ft for 3d6 damage and the prone condition. Might be worth it, situationally.

Phion
2015-11-03, 06:47 PM

Ah excellent, thank for that. Dimension door still works but that is fine as a level 4 spell.

Phion
2015-11-03, 06:49 PM
You could, however, misty step to a space OVER and beyond the wall, and then fall 30 ft for 3d6 damage and the prone condition. Might be worth it, situationally.

This is also true. So the location of the prismatic wall matters as well; inside a room there might not be enough room to use that stunt but outside its possible.

steppedonad4
2015-11-03, 06:58 PM

Not if it's cast as a sphere...

Phion
2015-11-03, 07:06 PM
Not if it's cast as a sphere...

aaaaand just like that this spell has grown on me as a level 9 spell