PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Choosing a Mummy's Mask Character

blayzenj
2015-11-03, 06:11 PM
So my group will be starting the Mummy's Mask adventure path once we finish out Iron Gods. Party makeup so far is a Cleric planning to optimize channel energy and a Gunpriest for the party face. In general I prefer to stay away from third party material even though the DM is allowing it (that's just a generalization not a hard rule). I've only really committed to being some sort of trap finding front line character. Since there is a stupid number of ways to do this with the trap finder campaign trait I'm looking for some ideas. We're expecting only 3-4 players so the DM is going with a 25 point buy. So I'm looking for unusual but effective. Something more creative than an Invulnerable Rager or Switch Hitter Ranger.

Eldonauran
2015-11-03, 06:39 PM
Well, if you go trapfinding, you want to be GOOD at it. A simple campaign trait will give you the skill in class, but unless you focus on Dex and Wis, you might want to invest in classes that add their level (1/2) to disable device and perception vs traps.

My suggestion is .... the Crypt Breaker (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/archetypes/paizo---alchemist-archetypes/crypt-breaker) Alchemist!

blayzenj
2015-11-04, 11:21 AM
I was looking at the cryptbreaker but I'm also wondering about a shotgun wielding steelhound investigator.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-04, 08:12 PM
I was looking at the cryptbreaker but I'm also wondering about a shotgun wielding steelhound investigator.
Investigator is lovely, but it doesn't play super-well with ranged combat, since you only have a medium BAB and need to spend ANOTHER feat (Ranged Study) on top of the giant pile o' feats normally required. (And I thought you only got the Studied Combat boost to attack, but it looks like you do get both?) Crypt Breaker loses or neuters two of the Alchemist's better features-- you'd probably be better off going straight Alchemist and just using Extracts to boost your perception.

Kedrann
2015-11-05, 12:51 AM
Here are my two cents.

If the Crypt Breaker doesn't do it for you, you have a similar alchemist archetype called the Trap Breaker in the Dungeoneer's Handbook. Basically, you replace the poison-related features of the alchemist with trapfinding and some functions related to explosives and traps.

Another solution if you want to go pure martial could be the Unchained Rogue from Pathfinder Unchained.

NB: I unfortunately could not give direct links to the SRD as, while I have lurked for some time, I did not post before now

VexingFool
2015-11-05, 01:00 AM
How about a Grave Warden Slayer? D10 HD, Full BAB with rogue abilities and the archetype is very flavorful for the AP. Personally I'd go for a reach weapon build using both Guisarme and Lucerne Hammer depending on the DR faced.

Go Human for the 3 extra slayer talents from favored class. I really like the Focused Study alternate racial trait for characters who need a couple of skills pretty high. I'd use it for Perception at 1st and Disable Device at 8th and then would have +6 to those at 10th level with max ranks.

Take combat reflexes at first level for the AoO and Quickdraw at 3rd for the quick sprinkling of Holy water on your weapons. Power attack can be picked up at 4th with Ranger combat style.

One thing I would think about is how to combat fear effects in a game with mummies. The AP may have some fear resistance items but you might consider at 7th level dipping a level of the Chevalier prestige class for the fear immunity.

Callin
2015-11-05, 07:31 AM
Currently going through this AP as a Sanctified Slayer Inquisitor (Str with a Falchion). Very fun. Group make up is an Unchained Rogue, Scholar False Priest Sorc, 2 Paladins, 1 ranged and 1 focusing on auras and undead, and me.

We really dont hurt for anything but the lack of a full divine caster is noticable. If you want to go for a trap guy third party can help with that even though you dont like it. Warlord with a dex/cha focus and deadly agility can make for a good debuff/buff melee guy (I currently play a ranged version, oh so fun). If you want an Int focus the Warder can give you a tanky dex 2wf archtype that is really good. I dont much care for a Slayer other than an archtype in their POW E playtest that really makes it shine for me.

As far as first party stuff, Dex Magus could be alot of fun. Or a Druid, that would be cool. Animal Comp can help block some of the larger groups of stuff that you may encounter. Or Summoner for that matter.

So honestly I lost track of what I was saying, but enjoy yourself.

Florian
2015-11-05, 01:46 PM
Ranger is actually an easy choice for this particular AP. FE Undead, Human, Monstrous Humanoid got you covered most of the time.

blayzenj
2015-11-05, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Please keep it coming.

Go Human for the 3 extra slayer talents from favored class. I really like the Focused Study alternate racial trait for characters who need a couple of skills pretty high. I'd use it for Perception at 1st and Disable Device at 8th and then would have +6 to those at 10th level with max ranks.

Stacking the focused study alternate trait with the half level bonuses of the trapfinding class ability seems a bit like overkill, but I hadn't even thought of that alternate and using it with the trap finder campaign trait for comparable bonuses (especially for a wis and dex class like hunter or inquisitor).

I will clarify one thing. When I say front line character, I do basically mean a tank (I just try avoiding that term since Pathfinder is really lacking in "taunt" abilities). Afterall we do only have a caster cleric and a gunpriest. They may not be as squishy as a wiz or sorc, but I will be standing between them and the monsters. So if I go with a d8 3/4 bab class it needs something like an animal companion or great buff like mutagens.

Florian
2015-11-05, 04:57 PM
@blayzenj:

Be realistic about it. You do seem to know how APs work and how the mixturenof enemies ist that you will encounter along the way.
With two clerics present, you need not worry about the tactical stuff, you need something to hammer enemies into submission and end encounters by raw damage.

blayzenj
2015-11-05, 05:43 PM
@blayzenj:

Be realistic about it. You do seem to know how APs work and how the mixturenof enemies ist that you will encounter along the way.
With two clerics present, you need not worry about the tactical stuff, you need something to hammer enemies into submission and end encounters by raw damage.

If that was the way I wanted to play I wouldn't be on a forum asking for unusual but effective ideas. I'd just run an invulnerable rager or two-handed fighter and call it done. I've been playing this long enough that I could make a damage monkey in my sleep.

Eldonauran
2015-11-05, 07:50 PM
If that was the way I wanted to play I wouldn't be on a forum asking for unusual but effective ideas. I'd just run an invulnerable rager or two-handed fighter and call it done. I've been playing this long enough that I could make a damage monkey in my sleep.

Ah, I like you. :smallwink:

So, you want to make a character with STYLE. You want it to be a front liner and your want it to be able to deal with traps. I've had some good success with that by diverting from the perceived norm as well and sacrificed caster level (oh no!) in order to do it.

I ran an Archaeologist Bard that multi-classed into a Sleuth Investigator for 4 levels. (Bard 4 / Invest 4 / Bard +12) I had panache, luck and grit all in one huge pool that I could do many things with. Tried to squeeze in Ki Pool (rogue talent) and VMC Magus too but the game shut down before I got to level 11 and could spellstrike. Was going to retrain Amateur Swashbuckler to something else once I could pick up Flamboyant Arcana, but that was back when you could get Parry and Riposte with a feat.

All-in-all, I had a blast with that character. Mirror Image made me difficult to hit (AC wasn't bad either), High attack bonus (Dex based, fate's favored, Arcane Pool), good damage output with melee and ranged (arcane pool, archaeologist's luck, power attack), teamwork feats via Masterpieces. Oh, I could disable traps very quickly and inflict status effect with sneak attacks. Half-elf gave me choice of extra performances (very low for Archaeologist) or bonus spells known (great for masterpiece acquisition and researching Magus spells to add to my spell list).

Le'sigh. I miss that character.

Spore
2015-11-05, 08:08 PM

Standard Investigator is very fine (although I have seen people praise the Empiricist).

I play a strength build with Item Creation attached to it. Strength 26 (4 Mutagen, 2 Belt, 17 Base, +1 at 4th level, Oni Spawn Tiefling), Quick Study and a Vicious Weapon (courtesy of the DM) give me:

Vicious Nodachi +1: +17/+12 @ 1d10 + 13 + 3d6 (Study) + 2d6 (Vicious) averaging in about 60 damage per round. And I don't even have Power Attack active nor am I charging.

The Character can disable traps easily: +17 Disable Device, +16 Perception (on traps) and I have various ways to buff myself or more importantly my group.

An Extract of Resist Energy let's me just activate an identified trap. Vomit Swarm and Fire Breath give me short range AoE and Fly, Beast Shape, Invisibility or Alter Self are very useful utility extracts. The build is great until 13th level or so but compared to fullcasters it doesn't age as well (but nothing does when it comes to high level magic).

Kedrann
2015-11-06, 01:52 AM
...When I say front line character, I do basically mean a tank (I just try avoiding that term since Pathfinder is really lacking in "taunt" abilities). Afterall we do only have a caster cleric and a gunpriest. They may not be as squishy as a wiz or sorc, but I will be standing between them and the monsters. So if I go with a d8 3/4 bab class it needs something like an animal companion or great buff like mutagens.

Given the requirement above and the need for trapfinding, here are 2 possibilities, both having d10 HP and full bab.

- Slayer with Vanguard archetype. The archetype will sacrifice a few Slayer talents for bonus to initiative and cavalier-like abilities. Obtaining Trapfinding may require some negotiating with your DM depending on how he interprets the requirements on Extra Slayer Talent as the archetype replaces the first ones gained through class levels.

- Ranger with the Urban Ranger archetype. You lose some nature stuff but gain some other things related to the city, among which Trapfinding.

Florian
2015-11-06, 03:08 AM
@Kedrann:

As has been mentioned before, Trapfinding is very easy as it is availlable as a campaign trait for this AP. All you need are Perevption and Disable Device now and even those can be handled by simple traits.

@blayzenj:

I think we habe a missunderszanding there. You said you wanted to be good with traps without sacrifizing too much for that. That means either picking a class that naturally gravitates to using Dex and Wis or a class with very specific class features pushing those options.
Dex/Wis, especially with Dex to Damage options and/or ranged combat is natural to Rangers, (Un)Monks, Inquisitors and Warpriests.
Dex but negating the need for Wis would be the Occultist with divination implement, as that has a scaling bonus to Perception and comes with Disable Device as a class skill.

Kedrann
2015-11-06, 04:14 AM
@Kedrann:

As has been mentioned before, Trapfinding is very easy as it is availlable as a campaign trait for this AP. All you need are Perevption and Disable Device now and even those can be handled by simple traits.

@Florian: It is true that the Trap Finder trait gives you Disable Device, a +1 trait bonus and the capacity to disarm magical traps. It lacks the +1/2 level to Perception and Disable Checks of the full class features though I agree one could do without as the ability to disarm magical traps is the main issue. The existence of this trait, though, does not make taking a class with the full Trapfinding invalid in my opinion and which is what the wording of your comment seem to imply, again in my opinion. If I misunderstood you and you were just reminding me of the trait's existence, then I am sorry about this and just disregard the above.

@blayzenj: To flesh out a little of the options I gave above as I tend to look for a BG concept first and then try to find numbers matching.

For a Slayer/Vanguard I would make something like a mercenary sergeant who's in Wati because business is not good currently. I would go more with a Medium armor + Shield + 1h weapon routine to keep with that concept and also keep my AC as high as possible (after all, you don't get paid if you're dead). Probable Campaign Trait: Foreign Opportunist

The Urban Ranger would be more someone of the country and probably a worshiper of the Old Osiriani pantheon. Depending on the god chosen, this can lead to very different characters. A funny option (probably the one I would choose) would be Bastet as she is the patron of thieves, spies and rogues and a mostly urban deity. However, this would probably imply a hit-and-fade or distance build. Another more lawful god like Horus or Maat could lead more to a 'cop' kind of character and be more valid for a stand and fight character. I would again go with 1h weapon + shield, this time because this is standard for historical Egyptian fighters. Campaign Trait: Devotee of the Old Gods.

Florian
2015-11-06, 06:18 AM
@Kedrann:

The "Trapfinding" ability seems to be designed the way it is to not force people (again) on certain attribute allocations to fullfill the intended role, as it has been in 3,5.
So you can opt to play Str-based Rogue or Slayer and your abilities to find and disarm traps holds up to the needed DCs.
What I imply is that, naturally, the other thing is true as well. As long as you've got magical traps covered, chosing a class that uses the relevant attributes balances out not having "Trapfinding" as an actual class features.

For example, compare your typical low Wis Rogue with a mid to higher Wis Ranger or Hunter in regards to perception. The skill itself scales the same for all of them, but unlike the Rogue, the other two classes have an incentive to raise Wis along the way, meaning all three will have around the same bonus (+/- 2).
Naturally, the Rogue could raise Wis, too, but has the least incentive to it and, also true, you could play the other two classes without raising Wis, but in this case, you should do it because of your double duty.

blayzenj
2015-11-06, 01:39 PM
Awesome everyone this is some great feedback.