PDA

View Full Version : Magic initiate feat on Barb?

lv99wizard
2015-11-03, 06:49 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm coming up to 4th level with my Barbarian (variant human, GWM feat so far). 3rd level Bear totem, stats are:

STR 16
DEX 13
CON 15
INT 13
WIS 8
CHA 10

This is my first dnd character and I made it over the course of 30 minutes, before I knew that INT wasn't really that useful, especially compared to WIS.

Would it be worthwhile taking magic initiate at 4th level instead of stat boosts?

The idea is, by 5th level, to have 2 normal attacks and have the haste buff to cast a cantrip (maybe green flame blade?) as the extra action and shield of faith on myself as a bonus action.

I've found that Barbarian is very straight forward and would enjoy some more variety which a few cantrips might provide. Would this build be viable or is it just better to take something more standard (stats, polearm master etc)?

ruy343
2015-11-03, 07:05 PM
I love barbarians... They're honestly one of my favorite classes. The fact that you get advantage on strength checks while raging means you can do some crazy things... (a note: you might consider switching Int for Wis, especially as a barbarian: a boost to your wisdom save can help, and it makes more sense flavor-wise).

Anyways, while raging you cannot use spells, and to be honest, most cantrips pale in comparison to what a barbarian can do with his axe. However, if you decided to go that direction, you might consider the "Jump" spell, allowing you to triple your jump distance to get up close when you otherwise could only use ranged attacks. I'll leave it to others to think up cantrips.

However, as a barbarian, to shake things up a bit, you might consider shield master (for shoving the target prone) or grappler, although you'd already be pretty good at both of those while raging (yay advantage on strength checks!) Vanilla Great Weapon Master is always fine too.

quixotecoyote
2015-11-03, 07:14 PM
When barbarians rage, they can neither cast nor concentrate on spells. That limits your options quite a bit. The shield-of-faith combo especially wouldn't work.

I'm not familiar with "green flame blade". Flame blade is a lv 2 spell, and thus beyond what the feat grants.

Its suboptimal, but not horrible. There's a few fun things you could do with it. Utility/illusion cantrips could surprise someone not expecting it from a barbarian.

If I was a barbarous barbarian, I'd use the wizard list.

I'd take friends to force people to become hostile to me so I'd have an excuse to fight them.

I'd take light if I was worried about seeing in the dark, otherwise minor illusion for good entrance sound effects.

For the 1st level spell I'd either take longstrider to make me even speedier, or find familiar for an owl to swoop in and give me advantage for when I didn't want to use reckless attack.

Tanarii
2015-11-03, 07:17 PM
You can't cast spells or maintain concentration while using the Rage class feature. (Edit: lol took too long typing. ninja'd)

Also, off the top of my head (ie I might be wrong): Greenflame Blade is a Warlock/Sorcerer/Wizard Cantrip (and I assume you'd pick Wizard). Shield of Faith is a Cleric spell. You can't get both.

I'd take +1 Dex and +1 Con at 4th level for +2 AC & +8 HP. And just accept that you're a slightly smarter than normal Barbarian, albeit not as wise as normal. RP it up. You may not be book-learned (no Knowledge-type skills), but maybe you're curious and ask a lot of questions about things all the time.

krugaan
2015-11-03, 07:20 PM
I'd take friends to force people to become hostile to me so I'd have an excuse to fight them.

Hah, that's a genius idea!

If you want to RP, I suggest vicious mockery.

"You call that a blow? Mighty Gromgar's wizened mother can hit harder than that! Gromgar is insulted by these foes who tickle him instead of fight him!"

lv99wizard
2015-11-03, 07:39 PM
Oh yeah, that's the glaring flaw in my plan, hah! Can't cast when raging.

In theory, could I trigger a ring of spell storing whilst in rage for non-concentration spells? Would that be an action?

lordshadowisle
2015-11-03, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone,
This is my first dnd character and I made it over the course of 30 minutes, before I knew that INT wasn't really that useful, especially compared to WIS.

Would it be worthwhile taking magic initiate at 4th level instead of stat boosts?

The idea is, by 5th level, to have 2 normal attacks and have the haste buff to cast a cantrip (maybe green flame blade?) as the extra action and shield of faith on myself as a bonus action.

I've found that Barbarian is very straight forward and would enjoy some more variety which a few cantrips might provide. Would this build be viable or is it just better to take something more standard (stats, polearm master etc)?

First, some corrections:
Even with the haste buff, you can't both cast a cantrip and use Extra Attack. Extra Attack requires the attack action, and the haste additional action can't be used to cast a cantrip. Alternatively, you can cast the cantrip using your action and make a single weapon attack using haste, but you can't Extra Attack.

As others have said, you can't concentrate or cast while raging.

That said, you might be ok with using your 13 INT for a feat. However, I strongly recommend that you think about versatility rather than combat performance. Several reasons; rage negates most combat spellcasting, so it's hard to get it to work during combat. Second, if you want to improve your combat ability, there are better feats out there. Lastly, barbarians already have lots of combat potential, but not much outside of that. Choosing the correct spells (minor illusion, prestidigitation, find familiar) can greatly increase your options outside of combat. Another option for this is the ritual caster feat (only if nobody else knows ritual casting).

DracoKnight
2015-11-03, 08:39 PM
First, some corrections:
Even with the haste buff, you can't both cast a cantrip and use Extra Attack. Extra Attack requires the attack action, and the haste additional action can't be used to cast a cantrip. Alternatively, you can cast the cantrip using your action and make a single weapon attack using haste, but you can't Extra Attack.

I'm fairly certain that this is incorrect. Haste grants you an additional action to use as you wish. Extra Attack allows you to attack twice when you take the Attack action. That only uses one of your actions, ergo, you may use your second action when you are under the effects of Haste.

lordshadowisle
2015-11-03, 08:51 PM
I'm fairly certain that this is incorrect. Haste grants you an additional action to use as you wish. Extra Attack allows you to attack twice when you take the Attack action. That only uses one of your actions, ergo, you may use your second action when you are under the effects of Haste.

Page 250:
"and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. That action can be used only to take the Attack (one weapon attack only), Dash, Disengage, Hide, or Use an Object action."

krugaan
2015-11-03, 08:53 PM

Haste specifically limits the extra action to attack (one attack only), and does not include casting spells. So you can either make your full attacks + one extra, or cast a spell and make one attack.

djreynolds
2015-11-04, 01:22 AM
There is nothing boring with attacking, but throw everything into strength now, medium armor will be fine for now and grab half plate.

Sometimes martial characters are boring with theater of the mind and stuff, ask to use a battle mat when playing.

Your taking this guy to a hypothetical 20, you want strength maxed as soon as possible. You character is based around strength.

Malifice
2015-11-04, 01:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm coming up to 4th level with my Barbarian (variant human, GWM feat so far). 3rd level Bear totem, stats are:

STR 16
DEX 13
CON 15
INT 13
WIS 8
CHA 10

You cant use the extra action from Haste to cast a spell.

Also, Greenflame blade and Shield of faith come from different lists (so you cant have both), nor can you cast either while raging.

Its not worth it.

kaoskonfety
2015-11-04, 06:57 PM
I'm playing the party "wizard" in an all barbarian game (players choose the party composition, the setting is standard D&D otherwise) and ritual caster (wizard) was a strong must have. I'm taking magic initiate at 4th for longstrider, and some cantrips, one of which will probably be Firebolt for a ranged attack option (and some magic damage). But magic initiate is an after thought due to my strong Int score for various "knowledge" skills I'm focused in - as is my role.

The loss of concentration when raging tosses alot of spells off in the ditch, a poor stat for your caster DC tanks most of the rest. Expeditious Retreat, Longstrider stand out as they will stay tolerable and occasionally useful. You will almost always be better off hitting your foe with an axe over using melee cantrips. Some of the ranged with riders (preventing regeneration/healing, reducing speed) may be a good call from time to time.

I'm getting serious mileage, RP and tactically, out of having a familiar from ritual caster. It needs none of your casting stats to be good, lets you scout in the dark, underwater, in the air, gives you the bad ass "I'm a wizard with a battle ax" look. If your party HAS a wizard... well prepare to be overshadowed at ALL the magic, and/or be content to cover off down time casting or some "apprentice" (a 2 level wizard dip I've promised myself not to take for Portent is dreadfully tempting "see omens in every event" indeed, stupid hermit background)

rollingForInit
2015-11-05, 02:17 AM
I like cantrips and spells that can be cast anytime. I like the idea of Magic Initiate/Ritual Caster on any type of character that isn't a full spellcaster, even on classes like the Paladin. It can give you a backup for ranged attacks, a lot of fun RP-flavour out of combat, or a lot of actual utility out of combat for skill challenges and the like. Ritual Caster can be incredibly versatile if your DM gives you a lot of spell scrolls.

But yeah, I think that Magic Initiate goes a long way towards making a character more fun to play. No, it's not the most optimised feat for dealing damage, but I'll take the fun of MI over slightly more damage in a game where optimisation isn't necessary.

bid
2015-11-05, 06:07 PM
STR 16
DEX 13
CON 15
INT 13
WIS 8
CHA 10
Even you odd bits first: Dex14 / Con16 will offer much more with medium armor or unarmored.

Love your Wis8, that will be fun ><.