PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A SCAG AL Legal!

steppedonad4
2015-11-03, 08:53 PM
Wheee!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2OEHuo9GN3HLV8tOVFCNG1GcGM/view

lordshadowisle
2015-11-03, 09:16 PM
Do also note the +1 splatbook restrictions to limit power creep.

2. If your character possesses the Elemental Evil story origin, however, you have one more choice to make. Your character may choose to use either the Elemental Evil Player’s Companion OR the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide as a source that is legal for your character. It is our intent that the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide be an evergreen option, but for those seasons in which an substantive additional source is released (such as occurred for the Elemental Evil season), our plan is that characters will choose between the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide and that resource when determining the list of legal sources for their story origin (in addition to whatever sources might be on the list).

Flying is also not legal, which is consistent with earlier decisions.

The “Winged” option granting a fly speed for tieflings is not legal for D&D Adventurers League play. Cosmetic wings from the “Appearance” option that don’t grant a fly speed are fine.

AlHazred
2015-11-04, 01:35 PM
I am extremely shocked at how fast this went through. People must have inundated the Admins with email!

I'm happy, though, especially with the rebuilding rule:

3. Everyone, regardless of level or story origin, gets a chance to rebuild their character. Effectively this means nothing changes for characters under 5th level, but those over 5th get one chance to include Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide options with their characters if they so desire. Use the rules in Part 1 of the D&D Adventures League Player’s Guide for this rebuild, ignoring the level limit. You may use this rebuild opportunity even if you do not choose any options from the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide.I had some players who made characters that could have used this rule, who are now in Tier 2 -- if they couldn't have used the options, I probably would have heard endless gripes. This should make for smooth transition.

eastmabl
2015-11-04, 01:43 PM
I am extremely shocked at how fast this went through. People must have inundated the Admins with email!

The book's been out for over two weeks for WPN stores, and presumably, AL Staff has taken this time to review the 40 or so pages of rules.

Since I am a cheapskate without a nearby FLGS, I bought it from Amazon. I've started to go over the material for Greyhawk Reborn, the living campaign that I'm involved with.

AlHazred
2015-11-04, 02:21 PM
Oh, I know people got it earlier than it officially went on sale. But I'm just surprised that they still fast-tracked it. I'm a pessimist, and figured there'd be more push-back. :)

Tectorman
2015-11-05, 06:43 PM
So if I'm understanding this right:

"You want to play a Water Genasi? Well sure, that's League-legal, so go right ahead."

"You want to play a Storm Sorcerer? Oh yeah, you can do that. Not a problem. Enjoy yourself."

"What? You want to play a Water Genasi who IS a Storm Sorcerer? Of all the unmitigated gall! The nerve! How dare you try to bring that obscenity into the League! Away with you and any other such abominable character concepts! Guh!!"

I just don't get the mindset. How is this enjoyable or desirable? "Hey, let's make a whole lot of awesome things that our customers are going to want to enjoy, and then let's yank the rug out from under them. That'll teach those little pricks." Who gets their jollies from that? Honestly.

I mean, am I wrong? I think that a player should be allowed to be inspired by whatever in the game perks their interest and that they should be able to play whatever character concepts they're inspired to play with a minimum amount of hassle (and this being a game, a Saturday afternoon diversion, that amount should be a less-than-zero number). So why is that such a grievous sin?

Stan
2015-11-05, 07:33 PM
I don't know about league play per se, but many of the problematic builds in 3e made use of rules from 2 or more splatbooks that were never intended to be combined. That probably makes them gun shy. On a practical level, looking ahead, it's easier to check new rules against just the core rules for weird interaction than vs the core plus the ever expanding list of splat books (in 5e the list is expanding much more slowly but it's still expanding).

steppedonad4
2015-11-05, 08:43 PM
I mean, am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong.

thepsyker
2015-11-06, 01:57 PM

"You want to play a Water Genasi? Well sure, that's League-legal, so go right ahead."

"You want to play a Storm Sorcerer? Oh yeah, you can do that. Not a problem. Enjoy yourself."

"What? You want to play a Water Genasi who IS a Storm Sorcerer? Of all the unmitigated gall! The nerve! How dare you try to bring that obscenity into the League! Away with you and any other such abominable character concepts! Guh!!"

The question to me is how does this work with spells from the EE Player's Companion. If you play a Storm Sorcerer from the SCAG are you not allowed to take any of the Weather themed spells from EEPC? That seems a little weird.

Races or other options that are mentioned but whose rules are found in another source (i.e. aasimar or genasi) do not become legal without other campaign documentation unless that source is also legal for your character’s story origin. Also does this mean Aasimar still aren't legal or have they already been allowed previously?

sigfile
2015-11-06, 03:00 PM
Aasimar are still illegal (unless you have a cert).

There's been some talk of more cert-based character options becoming available as a means of opening the gates a bit wider (for example, allowing a certed Genasi to be attached to any story origin or the SCAG). This hasn't happened (yet), but I'm eager to see where they go from here.

Mr.Moron
2015-11-06, 03:05 PM

I just don't get the mindset. How is this enjoyable or desirable? "Hey, let's make a whole lot of awesome things that our customers are going to want to enjoy, and then let's yank the rug out from under them. That'll teach those little pricks." Who gets their jollies from that? Honestly.

I mean, am I wrong? I think that a player should be allowed to be inspired by whatever in the game perks their interest and that they should be able to play whatever character concepts they're inspired to play with a minimum amount of hassle (and this being a game, a Saturday afternoon diversion, that amount should be a less-than-zero number). So why is that such a grievous sin?

Seeing as you already decided to frame this as the developers "Getting their jollies" from "Yanking the rug" out from players they see as "Little Pricks". Yeah you're dead wrong. Of all the things this decision could be for, certainly that is unlikely to the point of not being worth considering.

steppedonad4
2015-11-06, 03:57 PM
They just updated the file. I edited the OP to the new link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2OEHuo9GN3HLV8tOVFCNG1GcGM/view

DracoKnight
2015-11-07, 03:30 AM
They just updated the file. I edited the OP to the new link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2OEHuo9GN3HLV8tOVFCNG1GcGM/view

Oh. . . so I can now play a wingless Avariel. . . great :P

steppedonad4
2015-11-07, 07:26 AM
Oh. . . so I can now play a wingless Avariel. . . great :P

Aerie (http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/forgottenrealms/images/c/cb/Aerie.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20070311221242) says hello.

Princess
2015-11-08, 01:49 AM
All I see here is that Bladesingers can never learn frostbite. This makes little to no sense.

Are all the other tiefling options available? Can we take feral tiefling mods as well as swapping out the PH spells for one of the new sets?

DracoKnight
2015-11-08, 09:18 PM
Are all the other tiefling options available? Can we take feral tiefling mods as well as swapping out the PH spells for one of the new sets?

Yes, all of those are AL legal :smallsmile: