PDA

View Full Version : Hail! Hail! Hail and Kill! [PrC, D&D]

Dhavaer
2007-05-27, 02:23 AM
Orc Warlord

Hit Die: d12

Requirements
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, Chaotic Evil or Neutral Evil
Race: Orc (a half-orc’s Orc Blood ability is not sufficient to qualify)
Base Attack Bonus: +8
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 4, Intimidate 10
Feats: Power Attack, Leadership, Might Makes Right
Special: Rage ability, must be anointed in a special ritual by a priest of Gruumsh

Class Skills
As Barbarian, plus Knowledge (religion) and Sense Motive
4 + Int skill points per level

{table]BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
+1|+2|+0|+2|Rage, Gruumsh's Might, Divine Right
+2|+3|+0|+3|Fog of War
+3|+3|+1|+3|Devastating Charge[/table]

Class Features

Rage: Orc Warlord levels stack with whichever class the Warlord gained the rage ability from to determine his uses per day, and any rage-related abilities from that class i.e. Greater Rage.

Gruumsh’s Might (ex): The Warlord’s body swells, layering muscle on muscle until he stands head and shoulders over his kin. The Warlord gains Powerful Build.

Divine Right (ex): Gruumsh’s blessings attract a great many orcs to the Warlord’s tribe. The Warlord automatically qualifies for the Great Renown and Special Power bonuses to his Leadership score, and all his Orc Warlord levels count double when calculating his Leadership score. His cohort and all his followers are orcs.

Fog of War (sp): Once per encounter, as a swift action, the Warlord can release a thick, black gas from his pores. In addition to stinking horribly, this has the effect of a cloudkill spell, except that it lasts only 3 rounds and is centred on the Warlord, and moves with him. The save DC is Constitution based.

Devastating Charge (ex): If the Warlord uses his Power Attack feat when charging, the damage multiplier increases by 1. For example, if the Warlord is using a two handed weapon he will gain 3 damage for each -1 penalty he takes to his attack roll.

DracoDei
2007-05-27, 02:54 AM
Fog of War seems kinda out of place...

Dhavaer
2007-05-27, 02:56 AM
Fog of War seems kinda out of place...

Gruumsh has an ability like it in Deities and Demigods.

Assasinater
2007-05-27, 02:59 AM
I agree with DracoDei. Maybe something that can induce Rage to nearby allies might be better (just thinking out loud).

Spiryt
2007-05-27, 04:37 AM
Gruumsh has an ability like it in Deities and Demigods.

I don't have Deities and Demigods, but Grumsh is, after all god.I Don't think that normals orc should be ale to do something like that...
Besides looks cool.

And does devastating charge stack with leap attack and all similar effects?

Dhavaer
2007-05-27, 04:41 AM
I don't have Deities and Demigods, but Grumsh is, after all god.I Don't think that normals orc should be ale to do something like that...
Besides looks cool.

And does devastating charge stack with leap attack and all similar effects?

Warlords aren't normal orcs, they're more like Chosen.

It would stack.

Driderman
2007-05-27, 06:02 AM
Warlords aren't normal orcs, they're more like Chosen.

It would stack.

I don't know, the word Warlord doesn't exactly say 'Chosen of the Gods' to me... I see it more as 'Chieftain of a horde of rampaging warriors bent on conquest and pillaging'.
The build is pretty cool, except the Fog of War and the knowledge: religion requirement, those two I don't like. I really don't understand why the religious aspects of the class are there

Nebo_
2007-05-27, 06:50 AM
What stat is the save DC for fog of war based on? Con seems like it fits.

Caewil
2007-05-27, 07:09 AM
Just wondering, but was this inspired by Obould from R.A. Salvadore's books? I want to see one of these go up against a Drow Dervish/Ranger.

Neek
2007-05-27, 09:57 AM
I have to agree that I don't see any reason why Fog of War should exist, or the Religion requirement. There is obviously a fluff factor that's missing--and having abilities through Fluff isn't a bad thing, unless we don't have the fluff! :P

A nasty ability would be to give any barbarians who can see the Warlord an extra rage per day. Just saying.

Magi_Ring_O
2007-05-27, 11:25 AM
Reminds me of the Eye of Grummsh Prestige Class in Complete Warrior.

Dhavaer
2007-05-27, 04:32 PM
What stat is the save DC for fog of war based on? Con seems like it fits.

I forgot that. Yeah, it'd be Con.

Just wondering, but was this inspired by Obould from R.A. Salvadore's books? I want to see one of these go up against a Drow Dervish/Ranger.

No, the basis is more Ghazghkull Thraka and Grimgor Ironhide.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-27, 04:55 PM
You have the Races of Faerun book? There's an Orc Warlord Prc in that but since you've put Might Makes Right (a feat from that book) I assume you've seen it.

Dhavaer
2007-05-27, 04:57 PM
You have the Races of Faerun book? There's an Orc Warlord Prc in that but since you've put Might Makes Right (a feat from that book) I assume you've seen it.

I probably have seen it, but I don't remember it.

Khoran
2007-05-28, 02:03 AM
It could use some fluff explaining that this is more of a Chosen of Gruumash Warlord and less of a "I'm da biggest!" Warlord.

Also, idea, creature with the Orc subtype are immune to the Fog of War effect.

Captain van der Decken
2007-05-28, 02:27 AM
Well, the fact that the Orc undergoes a religious ritual and literally grows suggests that this isn't just a big Orc guy class.

Shouldn't the Orc have to worship Gruumsh? It kind of detracts from the effect if a Chosen of Gruumsh worships Erythnull.

Dhavaer
2007-05-28, 07:55 PM
Shouldn't the Orc have to worship Gruumsh? It kind of detracts from the effect if a Chosen of Gruumsh worships Erythnull.

If they can trick Gruumsh's clergy into doing the ritual, they can worship whoever they want. They won't be too happy when they figure it out, though.

DracoDei
2007-05-28, 07:58 PM
If they can trick Gruumsh's clergy into doing the ritual, they can worship whoever they want. They won't be too happy when they figure it out, though.
Twisted... and I mean that in a good way.

Kevlimin_Soulaxe
2007-05-30, 12:23 PM
I actually kind of like the idea of this massive orc rearing his head back and letting loose a massive roar when he enters a rage that in some way frightens or demoralizes his enemies, and invokes a rage (that doesn't count against their daily uses) in his allies.

Renegade Paladin
2007-05-30, 12:46 PM
Someone's been listening to Manowar. :smallamused:

Druid_lord
2007-05-30, 12:51 PM
Manowar is awesome!.I have "the gods made heavy metal" memorized

Kevlimin_Soulaxe
2007-05-30, 01:53 PM
Someone's been listening to Manowar. :smallamused:

...i don't geddit.

Spiryt
2007-05-30, 03:25 PM
...i don't geddit.

Hail and Kill (http://manowar.rockmetal.art.pl/lyr/kings.htm)

I'm sure that Dhavaer was im metal mood that day- this topic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45491) also have familiar name - and Dhavaer post it the same time.

levi
2007-05-30, 05:52 PM
I don't like how it excludes half-orcs. The entire point of the orc blood special ability is that they are for all intents and perposes counted as an orc. You might include something in the fluff about how the clerics are unlikely to perform the ritual on a half-breed, but I don't think such special casing of the mechanics is a good thing.