PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Natural explorer clarification

DragonLordIT
2015-11-04, 06:42 AM
Hi to all,
the natural explorer feature let you use double profency with int and wis checks made in you favored terrain, I would like to understand if this means that I can use it in perception/survival etc skill made in such environment.
May I use it for example in the foraging roll to find food and water?

Thanks to all.

kaoskonfety
2015-11-04, 06:56 AM
Hi to all,
the natural explorer feature let you use double profency with int and wis checks made in you favored terrain, I would like to understand if this means that I can use it in perception/survival etc skill made in such environment.

Thanks to all.

The bonus applies to all Int and Wis ability checks you are proficient in - a skill check is an ability check. If you have proficiency in survival, double the prof bonus, if you have perception, double the prof bonus. This is in addition to the list of bonuses listed with the class feature, including speedy stealth and super foraging.

In you prefered environment you are pretty boss.

hymer
2015-11-04, 07:00 AM
Hi to all,

Thanks to all.

Not 'made in', but 'related to'. So you'd get the bonus using Perception or Investigation to find weak spots in the ice, if your terrain is arctic. But you wouldn't get the bonus to find a hiding goblin even in a snowy field. Unless the DM deems that the goblin couldn't hide where he is unless for the snow. Etc.
It would likely affect most survival checks made in the favoured terrain, but not necessarily all. Foraging would almost certainly apply.

Also, ask your DM. :smallsmile:

kaoskonfety
2015-11-04, 07:09 AM
Not 'made in', but 'related to'.

Very correct, an excellent clarification - and definitely an ask the DM thing to make sure you are on the same page.

It clearly would apply to any knowledge check for your terrain, would practically always apply to survival in your terrain.

I'd personally apply it to any such check for perception and investigation provided its about the area or things that would have disturbed the area (tracking, spotting hiding creatures) be they native to the terrain or no. Other checks (arcana to ID a non-native environment dragon type that happens to be in the area for instance) would likely fall outside the intended purpose of "awesome at being in the woods".

I lean towards keeping it 'excellent' at what it does as it provides no large combat edges and lets the player feel cool.

Malifice
2015-11-04, 07:13 AM
Not 'made in', but 'related to'. So you'd get the bonus using Perception or Investigation to find weak spots in the ice, if your terrain is arctic. But you wouldn't get the bonus to find a hiding goblin even in a snowy field. Unless the DM deems that the goblin couldn't hide where he is unless for the snow. Etc.
It would likely affect most survival checks made in the favoured terrain, but not necessarily all. Foraging would almost certainly apply.

Also, ask your DM. :smallsmile:

I would certainly let a Ranger get double perception bonus to notice something hiding in his favored terrain.

Its DM dependent though.

Vogonjeltz
2015-11-04, 08:14 PM
I would certainly let a Ranger get double perception bonus to notice something hiding in his favored terrain.

Its DM dependent though.

Agreed, trying to find someone hiding in your favored terrain is absolutely a check related to that terrain.

I think the 'related to' is more to reflect that various Intelligence skills (History, Nature, Arcana, etc...) could be made regarding something that has nothing at all to do with the favored terrain. So using the word 'in' would have an unintended consequence. By using 'related to' it also allows the Ranger to get double proficiency when making an Intelligence (Nature) check to think about something that involves their favored terrain (for example, What kinds of animals live in the Forest? or Desert? Is this strange marking we found made by a creature native to the environment? etc...)

Anyway, I'd tend to provide great latitude on allowing this bonus unless the case struck me as truly absurd and nobody was able to make a rational argument for it.

Malifice
2015-11-04, 09:25 PM
Agreed, trying to find someone hiding in your favored terrain is absolutely a check related to that terrain.

I think the 'related to' is more to reflect that various Intelligence skills (History, Nature, Arcana, etc...) could be made regarding something that has nothing at all to do with the favored terrain. So using the word 'in' would have an unintended consequence. By using 'related to' it also allows the Ranger to get double proficiency when making an Intelligence (Nature) check to think about something that involves their favored terrain (for example, What kinds of animals live in the Forest? or Desert? Is this strange marking we found made by a creature native to the environment? etc...)

Anyway, I'd tend to provide great latitude on allowing this bonus unless the case struck me as truly absurd and nobody was able to make a rational argument for it.

Yeah; my housrule was going to give them expertise in a few ranger skills, but this already covers knowledges, survival, perception in favored terrains.