PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder High Dex Armor

Gnaeus
2015-11-04, 08:46 AM
So, currently playing an enlightened paladin/warlord/swashbuckler. For some reason, when I looked at it, I was thinking of other parts of my build, and I somehow thought that the Cha>AC part of enlightened Paladin worked like the 3.5 swordsage ability. Instead, what it does is to add your Cha to Dex for purposes of AC. So, I already have a +5 cha+dex AC bonus, and will ultimately hit about +12/13.

Does anyone have any suggestions for armor with a very high dex bonus? Catskin Leather is the best I found so far, but I'm not enthusiastic about my expensive armor falling apart around me when I drop, and as leather, it isn't really very good armor anyway. Celestial Armor is light with a +8 dex, but it hurts me to leave a +4 dex bonus lying on the floor. Only other idea I came up with is just wearing some clothing with a +1 armor enchantment and some special abilities, then UMDing a wand of Mage Armor. Is there something I am overlooking? I can try to pitch 3.5 stuff if I get desperate enough.

Florian
2015-11-04, 08:51 AM
Why not use bracers if armor?

Gnaeus
2015-11-04, 09:08 AM
Why not use bracers if armor?

No cost benefit. Celestial Armor costs 22k. It gives Chainmail (+6) Enhancement (+3) and allows +8 dex. Thats AC 27 for 22k.

Bracers of armor would have to be +5 to equal that at a +12 dex. +5Bracers of armor cost 25k and give less benefits.

Slightly better would be silk armor, which has no dex cap, but only gives 1 armor bonus. Then it needs to be +4 to equal celestial armor, costing 16k. So that is a little better, but not necessarily superior to just getting +1, stacking non AC bonuses, then casting Mage armor.

By comparison, the catskin leather is leather (2) +1 (1) + dex (12) for AC 25 for 18k.

glitterbaby
2015-11-04, 09:26 AM
Entropium alloy will increase max dex by 2 for 2k so it's cheaper than mithral. I believe Segmented gives a +1 max dex for pretty cheap too. AFB so don't quote me on that

Sacrieur
2015-11-04, 10:51 AM
This brings up my all time favorite 3rd party feat, Web of Steel (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/3rd-party-feats/rogue-genius-games/combat-feats/web-of-steel-combat).

It's depends on your DM, but you have my assurances it's well balanced. If you can afford the 3 feat tax, that is.

dpatino
2015-11-04, 11:06 AM
The haramaki and silken ceremonial armor do not have a max dexterity and can be enhanced up to +6. You could also use the mage armor spell from a wand, potion, or friendly mage.

Platymus Pus
2015-11-04, 02:32 PM
if your dex gets to +12 I'd suggest things with no dex limit, Because that is the actual limit to armor with dex limits I've seen.
Bracers of armor with clothes work fine
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/specific-magic-armor/celestial-plate-armor
This is nice armor however.

Gnaeus
2015-11-04, 03:48 PM
if your dex gets to +12 I'd suggest things with no dex limit, Because that is the actual limit to armor with dex limits I've seen.
Bracers of armor with clothes work fine
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/specific-magic-armor/celestial-plate-armor
This is nice armor however.

That's good armor for someone I grant you. In my case, it is strictly worse than the regular celestial armor. Since it is medium, it negates my Cha>AC from enlightened paladin, dropping my dex from +12 to +4. Then it negates swashbuckler features like dodge.