PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What type of spells can protect a valuable treasure.

RealMarkP
2015-11-04, 12:00 PM
My players are 3rd level and below (Barbarian, Cleric x2, Ranger)

Here is the situation: The players come into a room where a valuable item sits atop a pedestal. Around the base of the pedestal (about 10ft diameter) is a faint ring of runes. When the players get close to it, the runes closest begin to glow brighter.

I'm drawing a blank on how to make this 'ward' something unique and fun, like a puzzle. I'd like to stay away from the standard glyphs of warding, or any type of offensive spell. This magical effect should try to war against entry and removal of the object. And it should be somewhat puzzling, where the party have to work together to get past it.

Any ideas?

Nibbens
2015-11-04, 12:08 PM
My players are 3rd level and below (Barbarian, Cleric x2, Ranger)

Here is the situation: The players come into a room where a valuable item sits atop a pedestal. Around the base of the pedestal (about 10ft diameter) is a faint ring of runes. When the players get close to it, the runes closest begin to glow brighter.

I'm drawing a blank on how to make this 'ward' something unique and fun, like a puzzle. I'd like to stay away from the standard glyphs of warding, or any type of offensive spell. This magical effect should try to war against entry and removal of the object. And it should be somewhat puzzling, where the party have to work together to get past it.

Any ideas?

Your imagination is your friend here. Maybe it's a permanent force-cage? Dispel magic would work, but they'd need to be 5th level to access it, so standard tricks would be a no-go.

Maybe something thematic with the dungeon? If they take the item off the pedestal X bad thing happens to the room? Indiana Jones style?

Perhaps you could do something thematic with a dungeon boss? As soon as something crosses the barrier they contract a curse - something that makes them identifiable to the bad guy who's treasure it is? *Bonus points if it's a dragon's centerpiece of his horde*

Perhaps as soon as something brings down/passes the barrier it closes the door and spawns infinitely spawning skeletons, and the PCs have to divide up their resources (perhaps the barbarian wailing on the now-closed-stone-door to break it, while the rest of the party keep the never ending skeletons at bay?)

Flickerdart
2015-11-04, 12:29 PM
Well, there are a few ready-made spells:

Forbiddance: Only those with the same alignment as the caster (or the password) can enter, everyone else takes damage. Consider having an encounter inside the wards - only the barbarian can enter, and everyone else has to support him at range.

Glyph of warding: Deals damage or casts a spell upon someone touching an object unless they speak a password. One-use, but the spell could awaken a guardian with the power to re-set it (as well as the power to beat up the party). You can use multiples of these (possibly combined with forbiddance) and make the passwords subsequent parts of a prayer to the deity of the cleric that set them up.

Refuge: This has two versions - one transports the holder of an item to the caster's abode if a password is spoken, and one transports the caster to the item when it's broken. You can use the first version as the last phrase of the puzzle (which the PCs should not say, or the person grabbing the item now has to escape from wherever he ends up) or use the second version on a lock or seal and bring an angry spellcaster to bear.

Eisfalken
2015-11-04, 06:07 PM

Any ideas?

Got it: magical Twister. Each person has to touch four specific runes and no others; once every group of 4 runes is accounted for (16 for a party of 4), then the force keeping them from the object disappears.

First rune can be their foot, requiring no roll, but each additional rune could require a Dex check, DC is 5 for second rune, 10 for third, and 15 for fourth. Armor check penalties apply.

If they fail a check, they accidentally touch another rune. Touching the wrong rune combo, by failed roll or intentionally, causes a force effect to bull rush the players away from the pedestal (make it a high enough bonus that maybe all but the barbarian wouldn't really resist it). No damage from it, just them getting shoved. Also, they have to start over; make all the runes turn red or something to let them know they can't mess up and keep going, they have to start over.

Don't clue them in on what it is at first. Let them touch the runes one at a time, then try to do them all at once, etc. One of them will eventually figure it out, and when they realize you just make them play Twister with D&D characters, the look on their faces should be worth at least a few lulz.