PDA

View Full Version : On Being a Grown-Up and Doing Grown-Up Things

LibraryOgre
2015-11-04, 01:20 PM
If you're obsessively stalking me, you might have noticed I've gone from talking about a Fallout: TTW playthrough to talking about BGEE, and wondered why that is. It is not having grown bored with Fallout. No, it has to do with my mouse.

You see, I use my mouse with my right hand, and frequently play in bed while my wife and I watch TV. When I was on the left side of the bed, this meant my mouse was between my wife and I... comfortable location for a right-handed mouse use, especially since Fallout sometimes calls for minute mouse movement. But, my wife needed to switch sides of the bed because her hips were hurting her, and now I can't use my mouse. So I'm playing BGEE, which I can use my trackpad with.

And that is a mundane tale of game choices when you're a grown-up.

Typewriter
2015-11-04, 02:36 PM
I'm sick of being a grown up.

Anarion
2015-11-04, 03:22 PM
Might I suggest a small area heater on the side of the bed, as opposed to entirely switching games because the position is uncomfortable?

Raimun
2015-11-04, 05:51 PM
When you're grown-up, your parents aren't telling you to stop playing video games and instead to do something productive or reasonable. Oh, no.

You have to do it yourself.

It pains me every time I have to do this to myself. :smalltongue:

Icewraith
2015-11-04, 06:07 PM
Why not rotate the mattress?

veti
2015-11-04, 11:41 PM
Have you considered a trackball?

It's almost 20 years now since I've used an actual mouse for gaming. For the past 15 years, I've been using a Logitech Marble Mouse, which I find much easier on my wrist and excellent for making the sort of sudden, sweeping - and yet finely controlled - movements required by games like Fallout, while requiring virtually no space.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a scroll wheel, and the software driver features that are supposed to emulate one - don't. So I miss out on that functionality (I've never been able to zoom in and out of the map in Skyrim, for instance). But frankly, it's never (yet) been that big a deal.

Cespenar
2015-11-05, 06:58 AM
The engineer in me believes that there should be a solution to the OP's problem besides the not-playing. Something simple like a mouse-pad in one's lap.

Anywho, an example in the same sense: Because I have access to the net at work and have relatively little time at home, I internally made a rule that the most stuff I do in a browser, I should do in off-times at work (yeah, I get a lot of those because of the nature of the job). So that the time left to me out of work could be channeled purely to stuff I really can't do at work.

Grown-up indeed.

themaque
2015-11-05, 11:16 PM
Use a her hip as a mousepad? :-D