PDA

View Full Version : [Multi-Edition] Polymorph Problems

Almarck
2015-11-04, 02:29 PM
Here's a topic that I felt... deserves to be in general gaming, largely as a result of the fact that it's about multiple edition.

Specifically, I want to learn about Polymorph, the goods, the bads, the headaches that ensue from using it in the various editions.

I come from Pathfinder, and I know perfectly well that asside from Baleful Polymorph or Polymorph Any Object, Polymorph in general had to be broken up into multiple spells that provided you with bonuses and extra scores from a table on the spell itself.

The result was a vastly weaker spell from what I recall in 3.5, where Polymorph turned you into the creature in a more... complete manner, granting you the ability scores of. The downside was that Pathfinder Polymorph was very generic, especially for Druids. While I could understand game balance, the fact that turtles didn't have extra AC compared to say, a cat of the same size does kind of bother me.

Which leads me to wonder... what other issues does Polymorph have in other D&D editions?

hymer
2015-11-04, 02:57 PM
In 2nd edition, Polymorph Other came with a System Shock check - a percentage chance based off Constitution (I think 85% chance to succeed at con 13) that you simply did not survive the sudden transformation. So it was good to use on enemies (goldfish were popular in my group), but not something you'd use to buff an ally.

Edit: Yep, right on the numbers. I wonder just how much useless knowledge I have... :smallfrown:

In the Rules Cyclopedia, Polymorph other is quite powerful, allowing people to be changed into beings with up to twice the target's HD. You keep the hit points, but otherwise become the sort of creature chosen. That, of course, was the DM's way to keep this permanent effect from getting out of hand. A chaotic beastie can't be trusted, and a lawful gold dragon likely won't be content with running around with a group of adventurers.

Almarck
2015-11-04, 06:20 PM
In 2nd edition, Polymorph Other came with a System Shock check - a percentage chance based off Constitution (I think 85% chance to succeed at con 13) that you simply did not survive the sudden transformation. So it was good to use on enemies (goldfish were popular in my group), but not something you'd use to buff an ally.

Edit: Yep, right on the numbers. I wonder just how much useless knowledge I have... :smallfrown:

In the Rules Cyclopedia, Polymorph other is quite powerful, allowing people to be changed into beings with up to twice the target's HD. You keep the hit points, but otherwise become the sort of creature chosen. That, of course, was the DM's way to keep this permanent effect from getting out of hand. A chaotic beastie can't be trusted, and a lawful gold dragon likely won't be content with running around with a group of adventurers.

So, in previous editions, polymorph had a "forced alignment" effect? That's pretty major. How did it affect class features?

wumpus
2015-11-04, 06:56 PM
So, in previous editions, polymorph had a "forced alignment" effect? That's pretty major. How did it affect class features?

What class features? You have the same stat block as a gold dragon except for the hit points. You become a gold dragon.

If it is anything like the second Basic/Expert D&D, there are two spells. Polymorph self has rather limited abilities: you keep your class features but don't get any exceptional features from the spell (possible example: you are a dragon without breath weapons, your physical attacks might be limited to magic user "BAB", and you have to learn to fly on your own).

Polymorph other is pretty much "baleful polymorph" (anyone hit with it *becomes* the object changed, not some sort of PC race with classes / target object hybrid) with the possibility of less than baleful options (and much higher HD target options.

Hawkstar
2015-11-04, 07:19 PM
It's also how Polymorph Other worked in 3rd Edition (NOT the Revised Edition) - When used as a buff, it also carried drawbacks from Disorientation. Yeah, you can polymorph the fighter into a Hydra - but he'd struggle to coordinate all those heads.

nedz
2015-11-05, 08:54 AM

It didn't. You got a save to see whether your personality survived into the new form or whether you became a goldfish, say, mentally.

There was also Polymorph Self. This was more like a watered down shapechange in that you could repeatedly change form for the duration of the spell, though the benefits were limited to Sensory, Respiratory and Locomotion IIRC.

Both spells were 4th level.

These existed from the beginning through 3.0. It was only the 3.5 version which was broken.