PDA

View Full Version : knife throwing in the gypsy camp

Wraithy
2007-05-27, 04:35 AM
i wasn't exactly sure wether this should go in homebrew or gaming, but gaming seems to be the place where questions are answered.

last gaming session instead of rushing headfirst into a dungeon unprepared my PC suggested that the party go back to the nearby village of homlet and prepare, get supplies etc.
on the way to the village there was a gypsy camp, and considering that many of our PCs conduct some form of taboo practise. we decided to stay for a week, we got to the end of the first day in the camp before the session had to end but before we left I proclaimed that i would set up a knife throwing competition.
the idea is that anyone who enters the competition pays a few GPs (not much we're lvl 3 in a not too prosperous gypsy camp) and whoever wins after about 5 rounds keeps all the gold.
this type of knife throwing would be done onto a barrel lid with notches in it (i can't be bothered to make a craft check for the target because during this same week i am also crafting poison)

but how do you carry knife throwing into D&D?

The Glyphstone
2007-05-27, 04:39 AM
Make attack rolls?

Figure out the AC for a Tiny/Diminuitive/Fine sized target with a Dexterity of 0, then start applying range penalties. If more than one player hits the target, they all try again at 20ft further, repeat until there's only 1 competitor who succeeded.

Inyssius Tor
2007-05-27, 04:42 AM
...everyone throws their knives at a barrel, and the person who rolls the highest wins?

If you want to be fancy, you could let them add any ranks in Sleight of Hand to the total.

True Strikers are taken out back and beaten to death.

ocato
2007-05-27, 05:06 AM
Well, I'd give the lid itself an AC of say, 18. Then an inner ring has an AC of 21. Then the 'bulls eye' could have an AC (or I guess a DC would be more accurate) of say, 24. So if you attack the lid with a ranged throwing attack, and you get a 22, then you hit the inner ring. Then, either do a top X advances or a point system.

Wraithy
2007-05-27, 05:20 AM
the easy answer is to make the challenge the ac of the piece of the target, the hard part is how you count up points per round and also how you RP the competition when D&D characters don't know what "AC" or a "DC" is?
but i suppose if my PC marked points on the target rings which just happened to be equal to the AC of each ring, and we counted up who had the highest total score and gave the prize money to that person it might work

Skjaldbakka
2007-05-27, 05:32 AM
I've got you covered: link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2225489&postcount=69)

Wraithy
2007-05-27, 08:50 AM
thanks skjaldbakka