PDA

View Full Version : [IC] I6 - Ravenloft

jkat718
2015-11-04, 05:50 PM
To a party of seasoned adventurers such as yourselves, this is but another dull tavern in another dull town in some nameless province. It is but another passage of time between the challenges of true adventuring. Such is the doldrum of existence waiting for another opportunity.
Outside the inn, a fog lies over the town this evening, draping everything in its clammy grasp. The damp cobbled street shines as the light of street lanterns dances across the slick stones. The cold fog chills the bones and shivers the soul of anyone outside.
Yet inside these tavern walls the food is hearty and the ale is warm and frothy. A fire blazes in the hearth and the tavern is alive with the tumbling voices of country folk.

Irish Musician
2015-11-04, 07:17 PM
Warthog "Orcbowler" Hammersmith (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=604015), Infantry Sargent
Warthog did miss it when he wasn't out making himself useful killing orcs or squashing goblins and kobolds. He loved battle and thanked Moradin that he was still alive, even after all the battles. Of course, it helps that his men were some of the bastards to blame for him being still alive, but deep down he loved every one of them.

And the cold, foggy night crept by, Warthog kept busy by drinking ale and challenging all who dared to a drinking contest. "A gold to any man who might be bestin' me at drinkin' the grog! I dare ye!" With the, Warthog threw down an ale with lightning fast speed, sliding the empty down the bar to the bartender. "Another!" Warthog slapped the shoulder of his dwarven companion, Ander, and let out a loud, boisterous laugh, "What ya think, Ander? Any o' these men seem able to do it?" Ander was much stranger than any dwarf he'd run into, but they seemed to get along alright. I mean, he was a dwarf so that meant Warthog had a connection with him. Other races didn't understand the dwarven connection.

JNAProductions
2015-11-04, 07:52 PM
Ha! I've yet to meet a man who can best you, Warthog! Ander crows, throwing back an ale of his own. Bartender! Some meat to go along with my ale-and I'll know if it's not done right. In fact, he says, standing up, I think I might just cook the meat myself. Now, no offense to your cooking, my good man, but simple fact-I'm better.

snowman87
2015-11-05, 07:33 AM
Sitting near the fire, in full armor as he rarely let his guard down, a tall, silver-haired man stared at the flames while swirling the wine in his mug. Anyone who saw his eyes wouldn't be able to tell if he was focused on something in particular or drifting in thought since he had no irises or pupils to give anything away, just solid white. His shield hung by its handles on the back of his chair and his pack leaned against the leg of the table next to him while his helmet sat atop the table. He showed no signs of being interested in socializing but did look over occasionally as some very boisterous Dwarves near by would be exceptionally loud. He seemed to be waiting for something, or someone.

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 07:33 AM
Sebastian looked around for his friend and noticed a seat next to him near the fire where he could warm the chill off from the night and the dampness from his clothes, Damn these fog filled nights here, he thought, They make my old bones ache.

Watching the rest of the people in the Tavern the dwarves antics brought a rare smile to his face, their enthusiasm was usually infectious, but not tonight, something felt wrong. This was his usual meeting with Jack, ostensibly it was to exchange monster hunting leads but more likely it was to make sure he hadn't gotten Amy killed yet. They both allowed the veil to remain un-pierced in that regard.

Settling in, he waved over a serving girl and ordered a warm spiced mead for himself and nodded to Amy to order what she wanted. In gruff tones, his voiced ragged from disuse and the ravages he'd been through, "I'll have a spiced mead, warmed and get her what she wants. Greetings old friend, I see you appear no worse for wear from your battles."

snowman87
2015-11-05, 09:13 AM
Jack looks up from the fire and focuses on his occasional companion. Hello, Zane. Yes, I'm maintaining my health. If only you could manage as well, yourself. I heard you had a great deal of trouble finding that Hag in the Evermoors. He motions for another mug of wine before looking at Amy. Hello, Amy. How are you? Is this ruffian keeping you out of danger as he should?

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 09:23 AM
Sebastian winced at the memories of the hag, the scars and bad memories, still fresh. A grunt was his only response. Nodding in acknowledgement though "Indeed, but dead is dead, she'll trouble those people no more."

He leaned back and took the room in again, watching the people move about their business.

Irish Musician
2015-11-05, 10:01 AM
Warthog "Orcbowler" Hammersmith (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=604015), Infantry Sargent
Warthog let out a great laugh as his dwarven brother goes back into the kitchen to start cooking his own meal. "Don't be takin' no offense, he just like to be cookin' his own meals. He loves it!" Warthog gathers his next ale and look as an odd looking man walked in with a girl who seemed dressed for combat but Warthog could surely look at her straight in the eyes without even standing on his tippy-toes. They went and sat down with the character in the corner that Warthog has had his eyes on as well. He wasn't quite sure what was going on, but something interesting sure was happening. Hmm, wonder if they be needin' another fer that party over there?

Warthog gets up from the bar and wanders over to the group, "Greetings! I can't help but notice you all be some of the adventurin' type! Well, just so happens I be one as well and I am lookin' fer something to do, or some people to help. You can only drink ale for so long before you get the itch of combat. Warthog Hammersmith is my name, the Orcbowler they call me, Sargent in the dwarven army. Who might I be havin' the pleasure of meetin'?" Warthog acts a bit drunker than he actually is at the moment. Something in the air tells him that something is amiss. He doesn't know what, but there is a strange vibe in the air.....

Ghost Nappa
2015-11-05, 10:21 AM
Jack looks up from the fire and focuses on his occasional companion. Hello, Zane. Yes, I'm maintaining my health. If only you could manage as well, yourself. I heard you had a great deal of trouble finding that Hag in the Evermoors. He motions for another mug of wine before looking at Amy. Hello, Amy. How are you? Is this ruffian keeping you out of danger as he should?

Her head angled down slightly and her eyes looking up, Amy is embarrassed but happy to be included at all and answers, "It's been k-kind of tough...

She notices a slight look of concern in Jack's face when she starts and her voice becomes more nervous but forceful as she continues.
but I can h-handle it."

She has grown immensely since her rescue. For one thing, you're still a bit surprised to her hear voice instead of her just nodding. How many months has it been now?

Jack and Zane may make an Insight check against a DC of [roll0] to notice her hiding something.

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 10:28 AM
Insight check
[roll0]

Sebastian knows she's hiding something and locks eyes with her, eyebrows raising slightly, just before the dwarf presents himself and saves her from answering him.

JNAProductions
2015-11-05, 10:30 AM
Ander barges out of the kitchen, carrying several plates stacked high with meat. Got some gurb for you too, Warthog! he says. Don' worry, barkeep-I'll pay for it all soon as I set the plates down.

With that, he drops the plates in front of Warthog and his new company. So who are you lot? he says, digging his coinpurse out and tossing some silver pieces in the direction of the barkeeper.

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 10:35 AM
Unused to people just coming up to him with a cordial greeting as he was Sebastian was struck quiet for the moment, not that quiet was an unusual state for him. His reputation generally preceded him, ghost killer, witch hunter, eater of children, all the more usual greetings he got, often times with drinks or worse thrown at him.

snowman87
2015-11-05, 10:51 AM
[roll0]

Jack nods at her speaking up before giving a brief glare at Zane. At the introduction of Warthog he straightens indignantly for a moment for the uninvited intrusion but then softens his stance and is about to return the introduction when another Dwarf shows up and drops plates of food onto the table. Jack grabs his cup of wine out of the way of the culinary meteors raining down before it gets spilled. If you wish to join us, I have no protests. But please mind the drinks. My name is Jack Lantern, cleric of Helm. These are my associates, Mr. Zane Shadowend and Ms. Amy. He lookis at the food and his expression tells that he does find the aroma tempting.

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 10:54 AM
Sebastian shrugs at the cleric as if to say, "I don't know these guys, do you?" Missing the intent of the glare, or so it seemed...

Irish Musician
2015-11-05, 10:57 AM
As Warthog waits for the others to introduce themselves, he takes a leg of mutton and starts munching on it. He looks to Amy, "Do ya want some, love? There's plenty to go 'round and it looks like ye need some meat on your bones!" Warthog gives a chuckle and pushes a small plate of meat to the girl, then gestures to the others to take some as well.

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 11:06 AM
Regaining his composure Sebastian introduces himself "Greetings and well met Master Hammersmith, your reputation precedes you and I consider it an honor to meet you. We have no immediate adventures to set our sights upon though one never knows what the night will bring, and for some reason I think it's bringing something to us. Please, you and your wife join us, have a seat." His companions that know him better will likely blink in surprise at the sheer volume of words he used at one time.

If that slight/insult from Sebastian causes any animosity amongst us as players I will certainly change things up! Please let me know.

Irish Musician
2015-11-05, 11:11 AM
Warthog snaps his head to the man speaking and blinks a couple of times. He then erupts in laughter and smacks the man on the back, probably a bit harder than he was expecting, "Ack, aye. She ain't much to look at, but a better cook there isn't!" He smacks Ander on the shoulder as well as howls with laughter again. Warthog takes a deep gulp of his ale, and throws his hand up for a refill.

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 11:19 AM
Warthog finds the Sebastian a bit more solid than he expected though the blow still is felt deep, especially since it happened to be right on the wound the hag had given him, wincing he takes it in stride, glad the dwarf took no offense to the remark.

Amy and Jack will likely notice the wince and then a very rare smile play across Sebastian's face. He slides a plate over and begins eating, finding the food to be outstanding!

JNAProductions
2015-11-05, 11:20 AM
Ander looks at the man who dared insult him, his eyes aflame with murder. After maintaining the stare for just long enough to make the other man sweat, he breaks out into gales of laughter. You're the first man I've met who dared insult me like that! Ha-ha-ha! he roars out, clapping him on the back. I don' know whether to slap you 'cross the face or give you a hug, my lad, so I might as well do both! he continues, his voice still booming, then slaps Sebastion before grabbing the man in a friendly bear hug. Ah, haven't had a laugh that good in a long while, he finishes, releasing him.

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 11:26 AM
Something flares behind the Witch Hunters eyes at the slap that makes the dwarf momentarily uneasy, as if he may have stepped too far, but he hasn't, and it quickly fades, the mood lightening already. "My thanks for the food good dwarf, what do I owe you for it? And what name have your ancestors hung upon you, if I may ask?"

Irish Musician
2015-11-05, 11:31 AM
Warthog chuckles at Ander goes about dwarf-handling the man, "Now now, Ander, don't be handlin' the humans as ye would a dwarf. They are a might bit squishier!" Warthog waits for Ander to introduce himself before asking his question. "What be your name, funny man? You've an odd look about ye I can't quite place."

JNAProductions
2015-11-05, 11:32 AM
Ander, not noticing the momentary flash of anger, says Nothing more than a hearty laugh, which you've already graced on me! And the name's Ander Hornraven-son of Alton Hornraven, and former chief of the Black Mountain Orcs!

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 11:38 AM
"Well met, and as Master Lantern there mentioned earlier, I am Zane Shadowend. As to the odd look, well, I get that a lot."

Irish Musician
2015-11-05, 11:47 AM
Hearing Zane's name again makes Warthog stop chewing for a moment and gives him a once over. Then something seems to spark in his eyes and he smiles. "OOhhhhh, you be that Witchhunter lad that be making a name for yerself. I be hearin' of ya before. If you be he, then I'll go where yer goin'. Can't be borin' to be around you!" Warthog lets out another laugh, and guzzles down some more ale, "Well met to the other two of ye, and a big hello from me man Moradin. Helm be worshipped back home as well some, though not as much as Moradin or Torm or Tempus. We be likin' our fightin'." Warthog ends with a wink at Jack and goes back to eating his mutton, almost finishing it off.

Ghost Nappa
2015-11-05, 12:16 PM
Insight check
[roll0]

Sebastian knows she's hiding something and locks eyes with her, eyebrows raising slightly, just before the dwarf presents himself and saves her from answering him.

Amy didn't actually get to order any food. When the waiter/waitress finally asked her, a small fight broke out and the waiter was distracted enough to follow-up. She hasn't mentioned it once and looks a bit sad.

Except never mind because somebody already solved the puzzle before I even gave the question. Speaking of which.

As Warthog waits for the others to introduce themselves, he takes a leg of mutton and starts munching on it. He looks to Amy, "Do ya want some, love? There's plenty to go 'round and it looks like ye need some meat on your bones!" Warthog gives a chuckle and pushes a small plate of meat to the girl, then gestures to the others to take some as well.

Amy is flustered by the dwarf. She was intimidated by the extroverted, bearded warrior - she had never met him and people giving her things was new. But she was so hungry and Zane's expressions indicated it was quite tasty.

"T-thank you," barely escaped her mouth before she began happily but slowly munching on the food the Orcbowler had placed before her.

JNAProductions
2015-11-05, 12:25 PM
Ah, that's what I love to see! Ander says, turning to face Amy. See that happy face? None of your orc-bowling does that for anyone but you, Warthog. I bring smiles to all the little boys and girls! If eyes be the window to the soul, then food be the door. he says, repeating a phrase he learned well as a chef.

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 12:30 PM
Appreciative that the dwarves would be seen with him, Sebastian nods his approval, using the excuse of eating to fall back into his quieter self. He keeps and eye on Amy, looking for clues or signs of what she didn't get to say to him.

snowman87
2015-11-05, 12:52 PM
"Well met, Sir Orcbowler and Sir Hornraven. Can I offer you a cup of wine?" Jack nods approvingly at Amy eating heartily. "Fighting may be Helm's forte but I do it out of duty, myself. So, Zane, what is this feeling you have about something that is about to happen?"

Irish Musician
2015-11-05, 12:57 PM
Warthog smiles as Amy reaches for some food, "The more the merrier, wee one." Then he lets out a laugh as Ander rambles on, "Ach, tis true enough, Ander. Food makes everyone smile. But bowlin' orcs over makes 'em laugh. Just you wait, wee Amy, until you see an orc go head-over-heals after a bowlin' I be givin' em. You'll hafta hold yer sides you'll be laughin' so hard!" Warthog pats his stomach as he reaches for some more of the great bounty before them.

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 12:58 PM
"It's more unease than anything, like something powerful is moving in the dark, watching...." his voice trails off and he shrugs. Since joining the order he had learned to trust these feelings though their warnings tended to be a little like a cat looking at a moth you could not see. You never knew just how bad the threat was until you saw it for yourself.

Irish Musician
2015-11-05, 01:02 PM
Warthog chuckles, "Fighting is always a dwarf's duty." As Zane explains his weird feeling, Warthog grown oddly calm and serious for a moment, his voice growing low and quiet so only the table could hear it, "You ain't the only one be feelin' that, lad. War brings your senses to a sharp point, and the hairs on me neck have been standin' on edge all night. Whatever it be, you can count on me to help ya with it."

Lioslaith
2015-11-05, 01:24 PM
Humbled by the dwarf's willingness to involve himself in what might be the Ghost Slayer's Orders business Sebastian says a simple, heartfelt "Thank you." to the dwarf.

snowman87
2015-11-05, 01:27 PM
Jack rubs his necklace for a moment after Zane speaks. It'd be hard to see the necklace lined with fangs just inside his armor and even harder to discern they were from vampires. He snaps back to reality after the moment is over and smiles at Amy before reaching down to his pack and withdrawing a small package tied with twine. "For dessert, dear." He slides to package toward Amy. Inside are four pieces of honey cake. "I passed through a small village the day before yesterday with a delightful bakery. I think you'll find it rivals the best in Waterdeep."

JNAProductions
2015-11-05, 05:31 PM
Humbled by the dwarf's willingness to involve himself in what might be the Ghost Slayer's Orders business Sebastian says a simple, heartfelt "Thank you." to the dwarf.

Aye, and you got me too if old Orcbowler's ready for a fight. Ander says. Us sturdy folk got to be stickin' together.

lordshadowisle
2015-11-05, 11:39 PM
"It's more unease than anything, like something powerful is moving in the dark, watching...."

"You ain't the only one be feelin' that, lad. War brings your senses to a sharp point, and the hairs on me neck have been standin' on edge all night. "

Seated at a table right beside the company of people, Aelar is able to hear much of the ongoing conversation, though not necessarily intentionally; the dwarves in particular seemed to project their voices much farther than their size would have suggested. Aelar shakes his head, and mumbles to himself about the ill manners of today's youth.

While initially intent on ignoring the group, Aelar's attention is suddenly sparked- he has heard something interesting. Getting up from his table, Aelar approaches the group.

"Greeting, my young friends. Forgive me for listening in on your conversation, but I have a great interest in hearing about you have been experiencing. My name is Aelar, and I have spent many a century studying a vast variety of topics. When you mentioned the sensing of a dark and powerful force, I could not help but be reminded of several unnatural incidents described in historical records. I myself have had some minor encounters -though obviously not quite life threatening- with lesser forces of evil in the very distant past during my travels across the land."

Lioslaith
2015-11-06, 07:16 AM
Nodding to Ander in thanks as well just before their table is approached Sebastian looks up at the .... elf?, no he didn't think this was an elf, his eyes narrowing as if he's trying to see through the man. "Have a seat, please, there is plenty of food and though the company can be a bit dark you are welcome with us. If I could do more than sit uneasily at what I feel then I would be out after it already, unfortunately it's really just a feeling. What sort of instances have you researched?"

jkat718
2015-11-06, 10:35 AM
Suddenly, a hush falls over the tavern. Even the flagons of ale seem to silence themselves. The tavern door swings open. Framed by the lamp-lit fog, a form strides into the room. His heavy, booted footfalls and the jingle of his coins shatter the silence. His brightly colored clothes are draped in loose folds about him and his hat hangs askew, hiding his eyes in shadows.
Without hesitation, he walks directly up to your table and stands proudly in a wide stance with folded arms.
His accented voice speaks, "I have been sent to you to deliver this message! If you be creatures of honor, you will come to my master's aid at first light. It is not advisable to travel the Svalich woods at night!" He pulls from his tunic a sealed letter, addressed to all of you in beautiful flowing script. He drops the letter on the table. "Take the west road from here some five hours march down through the Svalich woods. There you will find my master in Barovia."
Amid the continued silent stares of the patronage, the gypsy strides to the bar and says to the wary barkeeper, "Fill the glasses, one and all. Their throats are obviously parched." He drops a purse heavy with gold on the bar. With that, he leaves.
The babble of tavern voices resumes, although somewhat subdued. The letter is lying before you. Dated yesterday, the ink is still not dry and the parchment is crisp. The seal is of a crest you don't recognize.

Hail to thee of might and valor: I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within our community. The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been afflicted by an evil so deadly that even the good people of our town cannot protect her. She languishes from her wound and I would have her saved from this menace. There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shah but answer my desperate plea. Come quickly for her time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine! Kolyan Indrirovich, Burgomaster

Lioslaith
2015-11-06, 10:46 AM
Sebastian reaches forward and takes up the letter, cracking the seal he reads it first to himself then aloud to the rest, placing it back on the table if any want to inspect it further. He sits quietly for a bit, "The gypsy spoke true, travelling at night invites trouble here. I've a mind to go see if I can help what say the rest of you?"

snowman87
2015-11-06, 11:14 AM
No, traveling by dark would be unwise. I do think we should investigate this ailment. I can see what I can do to heal this woman. I do wonder how this Mr. Indrirovich knew we were here, though. Jack takes advantage of the man's coin to get another pitcher of wine.

lordshadowisle
2015-11-06, 11:19 AM
"That appears to be a fair suggestion, I would think. I do seem to recall some curious speculations on the town of Barovia written in the footnotes of a history tome, which suggested that Barovia was ruled by a fiend or undead by the name of Count Stradhd von Zarovich! If this was true, then surely we would not want to travel there in the night!

Of course, I doubt that the speculations are correct. The evidence provided in the book was quite ridiculous, fueled only by the observation that the name of the ruler has remained unchanged for centuries. I myself can think of at least three more plausible reasons to explain the observation."

Lioslaith
2015-11-06, 11:25 AM
Sebastian nods to Jack, "Perhaps that was the feeling of dread from before, though somehow I do not think it was." As the explaination of possible undead sinks in he looks at Amy and then to Jack, This should be interesting, we've never travelled together before.

Irish Musician
2015-11-06, 11:30 AM
The dwarf watched the....elf? No, he looks too different. There are High Elves, but this one looks even different than those. But, given his words, he seems to want to help so Warthog give him a wave, as his mouth was full, and motioned for him to pull up a chair.

Warthog watched the flashy man walk in and make his grand announcement as the dwarf gnawed on his, now, turkey leg. He listened to his words and watched him as he left. Gypsy's, they be flashier than the elves! he though to himself. He waited as the others looked over the letter. Warthog wasn't a scholar by any means, and he knew it, so when it came to letters and writing he let others do the thinking. At the mention of the lore behind the area, Warthog let out a chuckle, "Yeah, he could just be a point-ear and not age like the rest o' the world." Warthog lets out a laugh and claps the elf on the shoulder. "Ach, don be so stiff! I just be playin' with ya. As far as goin' er not.....I am in, Ander too. Might as well as nothin' else has been comin' 'round these parts. But the mornin' does look better for leavin' and travelin'." With that the dwarf orders another large tankard of ale, as well as a tankard of mead. He then starts to drink from one, and then the other, as the night continues.

JNAProductions
2015-11-06, 11:43 AM
What if I had plans, Warthog? You never know-I might have found a lass worth stickin' around for here, Ander says in response to Orcbowler's blithe assurance that he'd come with. O' course, I don', but least-aways you coulda asked, he says, snatching the tankard of mead. I'll be takin' that, then.

Irish Musician
2015-11-06, 11:45 AM
Warthog looks at Ander very seriously, "Hey! Where I go, my wife goes!" Then he smacks Zane on the shoulder again and lets out a very, very loud howl of laughter and he downs his ale and order another tankard of mead.

JNAProductions
2015-11-06, 11:47 AM
Ander laughs uproariously, still floored by the gall it took to make the joke.

Lioslaith
2015-11-06, 11:59 AM
Sebastian finds the dwarves enthusiasm uplifting once again, If I'd met these two 40 years ago things might have been different. Sipping his freshened spiced mead he made eye contact with Amy and when her tentative gaze met his he gave her a quick wink and a smile, hoping to reassure her as well.

Ghost Nappa
2015-11-06, 05:49 PM
Suddenly, a hush falls over the tavern....The babble of tavern voices resumes, although somewhat subdued. The letter is lying before you. Dated yesterday, the ink is still not dry and the parchment is crisp. The seal is of a crest you don't recognize.

Hail to thee of might and valor: I, a lowly servant of the township of Barovia, send honor to thee. We plead for thy so desperately needed assistance within our community. The love of my life, Ireena Kolyana, has been afflicted by an evil so deadly that even the good people of our town cannot protect her. She languishes from her wound and I would have her saved from this menace. There is much wealth in this community. I offer all that might be had to thee and thy fellows if thou shah but answer my desperate plea. Come quickly for her time is at hand! All that I have shall be thine! Kolyan Indrirovich, Burgomaster

OoC: The Paranoia is real.

Amy didn't know what was wrong or what was going on. Amy had a bad feeling. She always had a bad feeling, but this one was worse.

She didn't know why but Zane and Jack had suddenly been surrounded by two dwarves, an...elf (or at least he looked like an elf), and some crazy guy dressed in the fanciest pajamas she'd ever seen started waving a letter around. The dwarves seemed nice, the elf seemed very mature, but the crazy guy...

"...Perhaps that was the feeling of dread from before..."

Dread. That was it. Amy was afraid. She was always afraid, but this time she noticed that Zach was afraid - if only a little.

And that made it worse.

Lioslaith
2015-11-06, 08:48 PM
Sebastian caught Amy's look and realized immediately he'd let his concern show on his face. Damnit, he thought. Stupid mistake. He was still getting used to having someone around that cared what he thought, reacted to it.

He grabbed her gaze with his, his intensity back, the kind she saw when he'd rescued her. His blood soaking his blade causing the acid to drip from it as he walked through her captors.

Maybe it would be enough to reassure her.

lordshadowisle
2015-11-08, 09:55 AM
At the mention of the lore behind the area, Warthog let out a chuckle, "Yeah, he could just be a point-ear and not age like the rest o' the world." Warthog lets out a laugh and claps the elf on the shoulder. "Ach, don be so stiff! I just be playin' with ya. As far as goin' er not.....I am in, Ander too. Might as well as nothin' else has been comin' 'round these parts. But the mornin' does look better for leavin' and travelin'."

Aelar staggers momentarily due to Warthog's tap; the force wasn't great, but it was unexpected. "Probably unintentional, as dwarves are not known for moderation.", thought Aelar.

"The Baron turning out to be one of Elvenkind was indeed one of the possibilities that I considered, though that seems unlikely. I suppose we will learn of the truth behind these rumors once we arrive at Barovia."

No, traveling by dark would be unwise. I do think we should investigate this ailment. I can see what I can do to heal this woman. I do wonder how this Mr. Indrirovich knew we were here, though.

"Perhaps he just tasked his servants to visit several taverns and approach anyone who seemed skilled. I believe even now, the gypsy is seeking out other establishments for help; it is unlikely for the gypsy to be returning home, considering his advice to avoid the woods at night."

Irish Musician
2015-11-08, 01:14 PM
As dense as Warthog came off, he was actually really good at reading people, it is what made him a good leader. He could read people and tell them what they needed to hear to get a job done. So it wasn't unbeknownst to him that Zane and Amy seemed to be having a non-verbal discussion. Warthog noticed that she was visablly shaken, or scared, or something along those lines. He wipes his mouth, puts his ale down, and looks her in the eye, and talks to her in a very serious tone, "Look lassie, I not gonna lie to ya. There are some dangers and concerns coming up on this little mission o' ours. But ain't nothin' gonna happen to ya. You have two men here who seem to care a great deal for ya, an they won't be lettin' nothin' happen to ya. Not to mention you got two, big, loud dwarfs that the enemies will be focusin' on anyway." He adds a wink to that last part and shoots her a smile, "Point bein', you'll be fine, so don't you worry about it non." He puts on his warmest smile and takes another swig of his ale.

Ghost Nappa
2015-11-08, 11:29 PM
Sebastian caught Amy's look and realized immediately he'd let his concern show on his face. Damnit, he thought. Stupid mistake. He was still getting used to having someone around that cared what he thought, reacted to it.

He grabbed her gaze with his, his intensity back, the kind she saw when he'd rescued her. His blood soaking his blade causing the acid to drip from it as he walked through her captors.

Maybe it would be enough to reassure her.

As dense as Warthog came off, he was actually really good at reading people, it is what made him a good leader. He could read people and tell them what they needed to hear to get a job done. So it wasn't unbeknownst to him that Zane and Amy seemed to be having a non-verbal discussion. Warthog noticed that she was visablly shaken, or scared, or something along those lines. He wipes his mouth, puts his ale down, and looks her in the eye, and talks to her in a very serious tone, "Look lassie, I not gonna lie to ya. There are some dangers and concerns coming up on this little mission o' ours. But ain't nothin' gonna happen to ya. You have two men here who seem to care a great deal for ya, an they won't be lettin' nothin' happen to ya. Not to mention you got two, big, loud dwarfs that the enemies will be focusin' on anyway." He adds a wink to that last part and shoots her a smile, "Point bein', you'll be fine, so don't you worry about it non." He puts on his warmest smile and takes another swig of his ale.

The combined reassurances of the two men set her at ease and Amy's confidence and mood visibly brightens...and turns into one of quizzicalness. OoC: I swear it's a word!...maybe

"So what are we doing on this mission?"

Lioslaith
2015-11-09, 07:25 AM
Glad that they had managed to assuage Amy's fears for now Sebastian chimed in regarding the 'mission' as it were. "Looks like we are going to try and heal some minor noble's love and possibly try and figure out what wounded her in the first place."

snowman87
2015-11-09, 08:43 AM
I suppose I'll need to prepare some more specialized spells for tomorrow then. If you'll excuse me, gentlemen, Amy. Jack stands up and reaches into his pocket to pull out 5 silver pieces and places them on the table. Be sure she gets her own room. He looks at Zane before turning to Amy and bowing slightly. He then gathers his gear and heads up to his room for the night.

Lioslaith
2015-11-09, 08:53 AM
Sebastian snorts at the cleric before he goes thinking, You'd trust a door lock to keep her safe in this place, but he lets the thought go unspoken. Where she stayed was ever her choice and he never argued with the decision she made.

He slid the coins over to Amy nodding that she should take it.

Addressing the dwarves and Amy, Sebastian slid his chair back, "I am going to retire myself, we have a fairly long hike ahead of us tomorrow and I am not so stupid as to try and drink with the dwarves."

lordshadowisle
2015-11-09, 09:03 AM
Addressing the dwarves and Amy, Sebastian slid his chair back, "I am going to retire myself, we have a fairly long hike ahead of us tomorrow and I am not so stupid as to try and drink with the dwarves."

"I second that opinion." says Aelar, though he does not make clear exactly which part of Sebastian's statement he agrees with. "Let us each make our own preparations then, and meet again tomorrow morning."

Aelar then returns to his room to rest for the night.

Aelar will spend 1 hour and 10 minutes casting Find Familiar to summon a (fey) owl. Aelar then instructs the familiar to keep watch while he trances for the night.

*Aelar is now broke.*

JNAProductions
2015-11-09, 10:30 AM
Much as I hate to say it, Warthog, we ought to rest for the night too. No sense leaving a lass out to twist in the wind because we felt like celebrating prematurely, Ander says.

Irish Musician
2015-11-09, 10:47 AM
Warthog lets out a little sigh, but nods to Ander, "Aye, we should at that." Warthog finishes his drinks and throws a gold to the bartender, "Here's for the drinks, lad. Now we be needin' rooms, and make sure the lass here be close to us. She be under our care, and we won't be havin' no nonsense when it comes to her! Warthog gives a smile to Amy, hopefully putting her further at ease. He then gets up to make his way to his room, once it is shown to him.

Ghost Nappa
2015-11-09, 06:06 PM
"I second that opinion." says Aelar, though he does not make clear exactly which part of Sebastian's statement he agrees with. "Let us each make our own preparations then, and meet again tomorrow morning."

Aelar then returns to his room to rest for the night.

Aelar will spend 1 hour and 10 minutes casting Find Familiar to summon a (fey) owl. Aelar then instructs the familiar to keep watch while he trances for the night.

*Aelar is now broke.*
Meanwhile, people are giving me money to rent rooms at inns.

Amy takes the coins given to her, rents a room for one, locks the door, makes a simple trip-rope next to the door (assuming the way the door opens allows it), and heads off to bed.

jkat718
2015-11-13, 11:42 AM
The next morning, you mount up and ride for the gates of Barovia. After traveling across the dreary plain and into the Svalich woods, you eventually near the foothills of the Balinoks, on the fringes of Strahd's domain. Jutting from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road, high stone buttresses loom up gray in the fog. Huge iron gates hang on the stonework. Dew clings with cold tenacity to the rusted bars. Two statues of armed guardians silently flank the gate. Their heads, missing from their shoulders, now lie among the weeds at their feet. They greet you only with silence.

...the gates open, screeching as they move. The gates close behind the PCs after they pass through.

Irish Musician
2015-11-13, 11:54 AM
Warthog wakes up in the morning and gets ready to leave. He packs his things and gets the cart loaded, and the horses all tacked up and connected to the cart. Once everyone is loaded in, they take off. They ride for the better part of the afternoon and finally reach a set of gates. Warthog gets the horses to keep going and as they approach he gates opened up, noisily and squeaky-like. "Well, this be seeming ominous and spooky." The gate closes behind them just as noisily.

JNAProductions
2015-11-13, 11:59 AM
Feh. If a little spook is all it takes to scare you, I don't see how you've survived this long, Warthog, Ander says.

Irish Musician
2015-11-13, 12:28 PM
Warthog looks at Ander, "Bah! I'm not bein' scared. But gates movin' all by themselves ain't exactly normal." Then he cracks a smile, "I don't see how you've survived this long with a mouth like that!"

JNAProductions
2015-11-13, 12:33 PM
'Cause my sword can back it up! he says, drawing his blade and thrusting it into the air. I'm a warrior, and I don't say nothing that I can't prove with my weapons!

Irish Musician
2015-11-13, 12:44 PM
"HA! And here I was thinking it was pure dumb luck!" Warthog lets out a mighty laugh and continues to guide the horses to their destination.

Lioslaith
2015-11-13, 01:35 PM
Sebastian stays silent through the dwarves boisterous display, suspicions already forming in his mind as to who or what they may face. Leaning down and patting his horse on the neck to reassure it, he keeps a watchful eye on Amy as they ride near the wagon.

lordshadowisle
2015-11-13, 08:09 PM
Aelar's face lights up with excitement as the heavy gates swing open without manual intervention. "Ah, magical automation!" Noticing the trepidation expressed by his ignorant companion(s) at this display of magic, Aelar attempts to allay their fears by a helpful dose of lecture.

"Do not worry, my young friends! This appears to be nothing more than a simple spell to permanently replace the labor of a serf. Of course, such magic tends to be more expensive than hiring a laborer, but once the costs are worked out over a long period magic wins. This is obvious here; judging by the state of the rusted gates, the magic will last longer than the rest of its parts."

JNAProductions
2015-11-13, 09:04 PM
Aelar's face lights up with excitement as the heavy gates swing open without manual intervention. "Ah, magical automation!" Noticing the trepidation expressed by his ignorant companion(s) at this display of magic, Aelar attempts to allay their fears by a helpful dose of lecture.

"Do not worry, my young friends! This appears to be nothing more than a simple spell to permanently replace the labor of a serf. Of course, such magic tends to be more expensive than hiring a laborer, but once the costs are worked out over a long period magic wins. This is obvious here; judging by the state of the rusted gates, the magic will last longer than the rest of its parts."

Understood-the gate is spooky and so are you, Ander says with a chuckle

Ghost Nappa
2015-11-13, 09:07 PM
The next morning, you mount up and ride for the gates of Barovia. After traveling across the dreary plain and into the Svalich woods, you eventually near the foothills of the Balinoks, on the fringes of Strahd's domain. Jutting from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road, high stone buttresses loom up gray in the fog. Huge iron gates hang on the stonework. Dew clings with cold tenacity to the rusted bars. Two statues of armed guardians silently flank the gate. Their heads, missing from their shoulders, now lie among the weeds at their feet. They greet you only with silence.

...the gates open, screeching as they move. The gates close behind the PCs after they pass through.

Amy stares intensely at the cold, wicked trees of the woods as if about to walk into a nightmare. The dark atmosphere and sad weather only serve to make the forest before them seem more lonely and depressing. There was a great evil in this place and it made Amy feel tense. She instinctively reached for the mark on her arm as it tingled and stung on her arm but did not consciously register the reaction.

As the gates closed behind the adventurers, the uncomfortable and familiar feeling of being trapped wiggles into the background of her mind.

Under the hearty laughter of the dwarves and watchful eye of Zane, Amy shudders in the rain.

lordshadowisle
2015-11-14, 03:36 AM
Understood-the gate is spooky and so are you, Ander says with a chuckle

"Spooky? Not at all, it's just magic, and there's nothing spooky about that." Aelar that furrows his brows. "Well, unless it's not magic, but ghosts and invisible specters moving the gates."

Lioslaith
2015-11-14, 10:24 AM
"I have heard tales of things powerful enough that force of will alone could have similar affects." Sebastian says as he reigns his horse over to ride beside Amy. "Do you sense anything?" He asks, a few years traveling together had taught him to trust her instincts as well as his own.

Ghost Nappa
2015-11-14, 12:16 PM
Amy pulls out a special Wand from her belongings and expends a charge to cast Detect Magic to sense any magic within 30 feet of her. She then begins looking around her surroundings for things of interest.

Intelligence (Investigation): [roll0]
Wisdom (Perception): [roll1]

jkat718
2015-11-28, 10:48 AM
Tall shapes loom out of the dense fog that surrounds everything. The muddy ground underfoot gives way to slick, wet cobblestones. The tall shapes become recognizable as the dwellings of the village of Barovia. The windows of each house stare out from pools of black nothingness. No sound cuts the silence except for a single mournful sobbing that echoes through the streets from a distance.

There are three paths available to you: a short way to the left before a turn, a lane stretching rightward, and on through the heart of the village.

Lioslaith
2015-11-28, 06:24 PM
Sebastian nods to the path ahead of them then urges his mount forward. He was never one to not take the direct route.

lordshadowisle
2015-11-29, 08:51 AM
While Sebastian trods on to the most obvious path into the village, Aelar takes a quick study of three available routes.

Perception roll to notice anything interesting about the three routes.

1d20+2

Ghost Nappa
2015-11-29, 02:11 PM
Amy doesn't really consider the choice and follows Zane instinctively.

OoC: Wait I thought the character's name was Zane Shadowend. Who's Sebastian?

jkat718
2015-12-01, 04:42 PM
Passing by boarded up houses and stores, you enter the town square. Here, two buildings appear to still be occupied. To your right, a single shaft of light thrusts into the main square, its brightness like a solid pillar in the heavy fog. Above the gaping doorway, a sign hangs precariously askew proclaiming this the "Blood on the Vine Tavern." The sparse light from the building to your left spills out from behind drawn heavy curtains. A sign over the door creaks on its hinges, proclaiming this "Bildrath's Mercantile." The road you are on continues westwards, and other roads lead away from the square to the northeast and to the south.

Lioslaith
2015-12-01, 07:14 PM
"The Blood on the Vine, is anyone thirsty?" Sebastian/Zane steers his horse towards the tavern but slows to await the rest of the groups opinions.

Ghost Nappa
2015-12-01, 09:43 PM
Amy gently shakes her head side to side to indicate she isn't thirsty.

JNAProductions
2015-12-01, 09:44 PM
"The Blood on the Vine, is anyone thirsty?" Sebastian/Zane steers his horse towards the tavern but slows to await the rest of the groups opinions.

Aye. I could use somethin' to slake my thirst, Ander says.

Lioslaith
2015-12-02, 07:14 AM
Dismounting and tethering his horse to the post, Sebastian absently helps Amy down from her horse and does the same to it before puling his cloak a bit tighter and walks through the door to the tavern.

Irish Musician
2015-12-02, 11:29 AM
Warthog nods at Anders' request for drink. "Aye, I could always be using some ale!"

Ghost Nappa
2015-12-02, 09:28 PM
Amy reluctantly steps down from her horse...

(Aelar and Jack both chose to enter the tavern)
but doesn't move towards the inn until it's clear that she is alone in her opinion. She make sure her own horse is tied securely to a post, and follows the group inside. She avoids making eye contact with anyone and sits down next to the closest unoccupied table. All Characters -1L

Rejected:
but immediately climbs back on once Zane has gone inside the tavern and begins to gently pet the horse. She smiles happily at the pair but her expression changes to anxiousness as the others linger inside. Jack +3L, Aelar +3L

but stands close to it, gently petting it. She smiles happily at Jack but her expression changes to anxiousness as the others linger inside. Aelar +5L

but stands close to it gently petting it. She smiles happily at Aelar but her expression changes to anxiousness and confusion as the others linger inside. Jack +5L

lordshadowisle
2015-12-05, 07:54 AM
Aelar shakes his head at the thirst of his companions. "I suppose we could make a quick stop to have a midday meal, but nothing more than that. I'm sure we all know: A drink in the middle of the day, is a sure way to waste away!"

jkat718
2015-12-05, 06:49 PM
This once finely appointed tavern has grown shoddy over the years. A blazing fire in the hearth gives scant warmth to the few huddled souls within. The silence here is broken only by the occasional sip of wine. The barkeeper is behind the bar, cleaning glasses. A group of men, all in brightly colored clothing, lurks by the door, and one man sits by himself in a shadowy corner, sipping wine. Everyone else in the tavern is by the fireplace.

Irish Musician
2015-12-06, 08:18 AM
Not one to be intimidated by....well....anything really, Warthog sits down at the bar and starts to order, "An ale, barkeep, and some hot beef stew if you got any back there. My throat is parched and my stomach empty!"

Lioslaith
2015-12-06, 11:22 AM
Stepping up to the bar next to his dwarven companion, Sebastian/Zane asks "We seek Kolyan Indrirovich, Burgomaster." Nothing more, just that. He waits to see or hear the reaction to the name should there be any.

jkat718
2015-12-11, 12:50 AM
In a dull, hollow voice, the barkeeper takes your order, "One ale, one beef stew. Sorry 's not hot." He slides a simple wooden porringer across the bar, full of thin vegetable broth with a large gray lump bobbing in it. It appears to be beef, but you are unsure. Glancing nervously at the band of men by the door, the barkeeper says "That'll be uh...3 for meat, and another 3 for ale is...6 silver, please." He extends one shaking hand, palm up, to receive your money.

The man in the corner jerks his head at the sound of the Burgomaster's name.
One of the colorfully dressed men is staring down the barkeeper, and the others are carefully looking anywhere but at the transaction.

Lioslaith
2015-12-11, 09:17 AM
Sebastian/Zane smiles to himself at the name drop reaction as he turns to watch the watchers. It doesn't take him long to decide to say over his shoulder, "A round of drinks for the interested parties at the table over there watching us please sir."

If the bartender seems scared to do so Sebastian will offer to deliver them for him.

Irish Musician
2015-12-11, 09:52 AM
Warthog has seen worse and guzzle down the soup in no time, as well as the ale. He gives the bartender 15 silver, "Here's fer the stew, the ale, an' another ale.....as well as for yer troubles, barkeep." Warthog leans in a bit to the bartender and whispers to him, "Are you in trouble, lad? Ya look a wee bit shaky. Are these men troublin' ya? I can be takin' care of them if they are."

lordshadowisle
2015-12-13, 08:31 AM
Aelar eats his lunch quietly at the table. The bartender seemed nervous and spooked at something, but it could well be the dwarves or the witch hunter. For reasons unknown, the witch hunter seemed to be interested in stirring up trouble with the band of men by the door.

It might have been a bad decision to eat here after all.

jkat718
2015-12-17, 07:41 AM
The barkeeper blanches, then leans in and responds in a hoarse, slightly softer voice, which he presumably thinks of as a whisper, "N-n-no, sir, I'm fine! Please, don't 'take care' of those men. They own this tavern, they're just here to make sure I'm charging everyone enough. I'm not too good with numbers, see. They don't mean no harm, really." Standing straight again, the man glances nervously at the men, and chuckles a loud, fake-sounding chuckle. "Oh, Mister, you are just too funny. Heh, heh."
The lone man in the corner polishes off his wine, stands, and heads over to you. The barkeeper looks up sharply, and his face breaks into a smile, "Ah, Ma- uh, Mister Ismark! Ready to settle your tab? "
"Hm. Not today, Arik. Tell me, who are your new friends? Travelers, in Barovia? You must be guests of Strahd himself to come here willingly."

Irish Musician
2015-12-17, 10:22 AM
Warthog sips on his ale as the man speaks, who has just walked up to the bar. "Dunno who this Strahd fella is, but we're on the way to see a Mr. Indrirovich. So what does that make you to us?" Warthog tends to get to the point, quickly. If they're enemies he wants to know, so he can go ahead and just pound them now.

Lioslaith
2015-12-17, 11:25 AM
Sebastian/Zane continues to lean on the bar appearing relaxed and keeping an eye on the 'owners' of the bar, fully confident that the Orcbowler can handle this new individual probing the group for information.

Ghost Nappa
2015-12-18, 09:02 PM
Amy sits at the edge of the seat near the door not-so-secretly fearing a brawl. She tensely clutches the chair with her hands and stares at the floor near Orcbowler.

jkat718
2015-12-20, 02:54 AM
"Why, it makes me your intended host here in Barovia. Allow me to introduce myself: I am Ismark the Lesser, of House Indrirovich. I believe you intend to meet with my father, the burgomaster of this town? Come, I can bring you to our ancestral home, just down the road a ways."

JNAProductions
2015-12-20, 12:48 PM
I suppose we might as well. What say you all? Ander says to his companions.

lordshadowisle
2015-12-20, 10:02 PM
Aelar: "That is indeed an unexpected coincidence! Following your lead might help to save us some time and trouble. But first, have you any idea why our aid was sought?"

Aelar thinks that meeting the son of the burgomaster here seems like too much of a coincidence. Aelar attempts an insight check to see if the man is lying about his identity. [roll0]

Lioslaith
2015-12-21, 07:33 AM
Watching the group watching them, Sebastian/Zane follows the rest out of the tavern, laying a comforting hand on Amy's shoulder as he passes her by.

Ghost Nappa
2015-12-24, 01:14 AM
Amy seems a bit prickled by the state of affairs but her demeanor seems to be more relaxed now. She sighs happily but says nothing and seems anxious to resaddle her horse.

jkat718
2016-01-04, 09:08 AM
"Presumably, my father summoned you to help my sister. She has been the, ah, object of the devil Strahd's affections in recent days, and my poor father had no idea how to help her. It is her who I shall take you now to see."
As you ride east, exiting the town square, a moaning sob floats through the still, gray streets, coloring your thoughts with sadness. The sounds flow from a dark, two-story townhouse down the road. Ismark reassures you that this is nothing unusual, that a young woman recently went missing and that her mother lives in that house, grieving. You pass the house uneventfully and, out of the fog, emerges the Burgomaster's home. A weary-looking mansion squats behind a rusting iron fence. The iron gates are twisted and torn. The right gate lies cast aside while the left swings crazily in the wind. The stuttering squeal and clang of the gate repeats with mindless precision. Weeds choke the grounds and press with menace upon the house itself. Yet, against the walls, the growth has been trodden under to form a path all about the domain. Heavy claw markings have stripped the once-beautiful finish of the walls. Great black blottings tell of the fires that have assailed the walls. Not a pane nor shard of glass stands in any window. All the windows are barred with heavy planking, each plank marked with stains of evil omen. Standing before you, blocking your way to the gate, stands a massive, wolf-like creature. It sniffs the air and turns to face you, growling.

Drawing his sword, Ismark curses. "Blast! These foul creatures are pure evil, hunting the weak and frail. We must destroy it!"

Yay, our first combat! Roll...for...initiative! :smallbiggrin:

JNAProductions
2016-01-04, 09:57 AM
[roll0]

Ah, something pure evil you say? Ander says, drawing his weapon. Then I'll have fun gutting it!

Lioslaith
2016-01-04, 12:08 PM
[roll0]

"There is only the one?" Seb/Zane asks as he draws his blade across his palm allowing the blood to coat the edge.

Irish Musician
2016-01-04, 01:08 PM
Warthog smiles and pulls out his hammer, "Well, it ain't no orc....but it'll do...". He stands and readies himself to do what he does best.

[roll0]

lordshadowisle
2016-01-04, 11:17 PM
"Oh dear," Aelar mumbles as he moves towards Amy, "Won't somebody think of the children?"

[roll0]

Ghost Nappa
2016-01-06, 12:25 AM
From the safety of her saddle, Amy holds her wand at the ready.
[roll0]

jkat718
2016-01-08, 08:15 AM
With a snarl, the beast arches its back, preparing to defend itself.

Worg's initiative: [roll0]
Ismark's initiative: [roll1]

JNAProductions
2016-01-10, 12:15 PM
Ander charges forward, bellowing WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! as he does, War Pan held high. As he reaches the beast, he smashes it down onto the foul beings head, aiming to send its brains flying from its ears. When seeing that not enough damage has been done, he follows up with a second swipe.

Making my mount Dash.

Attacking

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

jkat718
2016-01-10, 06:31 PM
Ander's valiant first blow bounces off the beast's tough hide, which then ducks neatly under the backswing.

lordshadowisle
2016-01-10, 08:10 PM
Aelar glances quickly at Amy and remarks, "My young friend, I think it is a good idea to let our sturdier companions engage this beast up front.

For my part, I will try to hamper the creature's ability to fight."

From his position, Aelar points his staff at the wolf-like beast and calls out a word of power. Immediately after, several patches of frost magically appear on the creature's hide.

Aelar then rides away from the worg, but tries to keep the worg within sight.

Aelar casts Frostbite. DC 15 CON save, dealing [roll0] cold damage.

Aelar commands the mount to move about 30 ft back (move), and to dodge.

Reaction: If Aelar is somehow attacked and if the attack die roll (not including bonuses) was 13 or lower, he casts Shield as a reaction.

jkat718
2016-01-11, 09:39 AM
Worg makes a CON save, DC 15, against Aelar's Frostbite: [roll0]

jkat718
2016-01-11, 09:59 AM
The frost spreads quickly across the beast's fur, both slowing it down and impairing its ability to fight.

Aelar deals 9 cold damage to Worg using Frostbite.
Worg gets disadvantage on the next weapon attack roll it makes before the end of its next turn.

jkat718
2016-01-11, 09:56 PM
Ismark charges towards the foul creature, hacking at it with his sword as he passes.

Ismark attacks the Worg with his Longsword: [roll0] dealing [roll1] slashing damage if he hits. Next up is Warthog.

Irish Musician
2016-01-12, 09:43 AM
Warthog spurs his mount forward, towards the Worg. As his mount get close, Warthog jumps off and runs the rest of the way. When he gets to the beast, he lets out a large laugh and smacks it with his hammer. "Alright ye mangy mutt! How 'bout a taste of Warthog!!!

Turn
Move - If I can I'd like to move the horse forward, then about 10ft out jump off and fight the thing on foot.
Action - One attack [roll0], [roll1]
Two attack [roll2], [roll3]

Red Attack, Blue attack :smallamused:

jkat718
2016-01-13, 12:29 PM
The momentum from his dismount propelling him forward, Warthog strikes the beast's haunch. Howling in pain, the creature turns to face Warthog, just as he whirls the weapon back for another blow. The hammer connects with the beast's face with a sickening crunch, smashing it to a bloody pulp.

Warthog deals 21 bludgeoning damage to the Worg, killing it. You each gain 17 XP. Sorry I rolled such a dud encounter for your first combat. :smalltongue:

"Praise be! You appeared self-capable enough, but I would never in my greatest dreams have expected such valiant fighters such as yourselves. Come, my new friends. If that beast had arrived here already, Strahd cannot be far behind." Riding through the gates, Ismark dismounts at the door to the grand mansion, rapping a particular pattern on the aged, wooden door. As you ride up alongside him, you can make out the clicking of numerous locks unlatching. With a groan of ancient timbers, the door creaks open to admit you inside.

JNAProductions
2016-01-13, 12:31 PM
Feh. It was all Warthog, so don't go praising the rest o' us just yet, Ander says.

Ghost Nappa
2016-01-14, 01:38 AM
Amy sits sheepishly upon the pony, a bit taken back by how suddenly the fighting had begun and ended and a bit ashamed she had done nothing to help. She loosens her nerves and settles into a more comfortable posture. She appears confident after the fight; even at the mansion's gates.

Ismark: Added to contacts!

All party members:
Victorious Encounter! +1 LTS
Amy Undamaged! +3 LTS

Warthog:
Final Kill +1 LTS

Irish Musician
2016-01-14, 11:02 AM
Warthog laughs as me makes it back to the group, "Ah it weren't nothin'! That was just a pup, nothin' to worry about."

Lioslaith
2016-01-15, 07:34 AM
Sebastian slips his sword back into it's sheath, careful not to drip acid on his mount. The two dwarves were a formidable pair indeed, and coupled with an additional spell slinger made the group a force to be reckoned with. They may yet have a chance in this endeavor if Strahd was actually what he suspected.

jkat718
2016-01-15, 12:46 PM
Ismark ties up his horse at a moldering old hitching post, and says, "You should all go inside and meet my sister. I will take care of the horses for you."

The interior of the house is well furnished, although the fixtures show sign of considerable wear. Obvious oddities are the boarded-up windows and the overuse of holy symbols in every room. The stench in the house is horrible, smelling of death and rot. A dark-haired woman in expensive-looking clothes stands, gripping a dagger, by the door. "Who are you? Where is my brother?"

JNAProductions
2016-01-15, 12:50 PM
Outside, tending to the horses, Ander tells her. Put the pointy metal down, lass, we ain't here to hurt ye.

Irish Musician
2016-01-15, 12:54 PM
Warthog nods and enters into the house. The first that hits him is the stench of death. He knows that smell....he's been on plenty of battlefields. His shield immediately is on his arm, and his hand rests on the handle of his hammer. "Be calm, lass. Like my friend says, he be outside." He looks at the others with a worried look, "Though I might be askin' ya.....what is that I be smellin'? I know that smell....it don't usually bode well."

Lioslaith
2016-01-15, 02:44 PM
Hoping to help the dwarves reassure the young lady, Sebastian lays a hand on Wathog's shoulder far from his sword as he speaks, "Ismark is outside securing our horses, no ill has befallen him. We are here to help..you..I believe. Something about Strahd's affections causing you harm?"

Ghost Nappa
2016-01-15, 02:45 PM
One whiff of the house was enough to make Amy grab hold of her nose as she walked in. Her tactful thoughts on the subject, "Ewwww," had already escaped her mouth before she thought it would be less rude to keep it to yourself.

As she scans the room, she seems to have a strange fascination for the various holy symbols.
Amy appears to be slightly dizzy from the smell and is trying to hide a stagger in her step.There is the faintest white light glowing through her clothes from a spot on her arm.

lordshadowisle
2016-01-17, 10:18 AM
Before entering the house, Aelar commands his owl familiar to keep watch outside.

Upon entering the house, Aelar immediately notices the boarded-up windows as well as the holy symbols everywhere. "Very obviously, there has been some effort to fortify this house from intruders." Under his breath, Aelar remarks, "or the other hypothesis, to keep someone in."

Ignoring the armed woman in the house, Aelar approaches to study the holy symbols, which are somehow more interesting to Aelar.

Aelar tries to examine the holy symbols using Arcana: [roll0].
Note: If this should be a religion check, use +4 instead of +7 modifier.

jkat718
2016-01-21, 09:28 PM
You realize that the holy symbols represent a wide variety of faiths, but all the symbols present are intended for protection, healing, and defense against undeath.

Slipping the dagger into a sheath and laying it upon the hall table, Ireena responds in her melancholy tone, "Yes, the house has been warded. Each night Count Von Zarovich sends his minions to assail this place. The stench you detect would be my father, my his soul rest in peace. He died nearly ten days ago; we think his heart gave out from the strain of our situation. Since then, the wolves have left us alone."
"Aye, and none of the townspeople will assist me in taking him to be buried. They all fear the wrath of Strahd." Striding in, Ismark spits on the floor, muttering, "Damn cowardly fools." As he bars and locks the door, he speaks to Ireena over his shoulder. "It's getting late, 'Reena. We should begin to ready ourselves for attack, the devil Strahd may just decide to end this ceasefire of his tonight. As for you, my fighting friends, you are welcome to make yourselves as comfortable as you may, given the conditions. Rest up, for the wolves attack at night."

You all get a short rest before nightfall, not that most of you really need it.

Ghost Nappa
2016-01-22, 12:21 AM
You realize that the holy symbols represent a wide variety of faiths, but all the symbols present are intended for protection, healing, and defense against undeath.

Slipping the dagger into a sheath and laying it upon the hall table, Ireena responds in her melancholy tone, "Yes, the house has been warded. Each night Count Von Zarovich sends his minions to assail this place. The stench you detect would be my father, my his soul rest in peace. He died nearly ten days ago; we think his heart gave out from the strain of our situation. Since then, the wolves have left us alone."
"Aye, and none of the townspeople will assist me in taking him to be buried. They all fear the wrath of Strahd." Striding in, Ismark spits on the floor, muttering, "Damn cowardly fools." As he bars and locks the door, he speaks to Ireena over his shoulder. "It's getting late, 'Reena. We should begin to ready ourselves for attack, the devil Strahd may just decide to end this ceasefire of his tonight. As for you, my fighting friends, you are welcome to make yourselves as comfortable as you may, given the conditions. Rest up, for the wolves attack at night."

You all get a short rest before nightfall, not that most of you really need it.

Amy sheepishly walks up to Ireena, looks her in the eyes, and asks her, "Um...excuse me? Is there any reason you didn't cremate your father's body..."

She looks down at her feet before continuing, unable to meet the woman's gaze. Her voice trembles and she speaks as if partially aware the question might be offensive. "...when h-he umm...died?"

Irish Musician
2016-01-22, 10:24 AM
Warthog actually gets a surprised look on his face when he learns of the smell's origins, he takes his hand off his hammer and puts his shield on his back, "Lass tomorrow morning when the sun comes up, we are going to go bury your father. I'l be diggin' the grave myself if that's what it takes." He then turns to Ismark, "Wolfs, you say? Good, the more the merrier. I do better when I'm surrounded by enemies." A big smile grows over Warthog's face. "This 'devil' may be used to just attacking you two....but he's got dwarves to worry about now." And a loud, hearty laugh explodes out of Warthog.

JNAProductions
2016-01-22, 03:19 PM
Ander keeps his face solemn while Warthog offers to aid in the burial, nodding in agreement and saying, Aye. I'll do the same. But when he begins to laugh, Ander's face breaks out into a fighting grin and he chuckles right along with.

lordshadowisle
2016-01-23, 11:24 AM
"Well, at least that explains the source of the odor. Let me see what I can do." Aelar dabbles with his staff, and immediately a faint trace of citrus fills the air.

Prestidigitation - Create instantaneous sensory effect (citrus scent)
"Wolves, you say? If it's only that, we should not have much of a problem. We've already faced one earlier today without harm to ourselves. However..." Aelar pauses for dramatic effect, "From what little I know about arcane and holy symbols, it seems these wards are also meant to fend against undead.

Of course, I do not mean to be rude, but if the enemy or problem is more serious than you have initially described, now would be a good time to give us a more complete briefing."

jkat718
2016-01-26, 01:17 PM
With a nervous look towards Ismark, Ireena responds uncertainly, "We, ah...we believe that Strahd is...no longer human. No mortal man can live as long as he, and yet appear so young. Our theory is that Strahd is, well...a vampire."
"Theory? Reena, he bit you. Either the man is deranged, enchanted with powerful defensive magics, and unaging, or he's a bloody vampire!"

JNAProductions
2016-01-26, 01:23 PM
Religion check to see how much I know about vampires. [roll0]

Ander is kinda dumb, it appears. :P

Right-so he's a vampire. That means we... Do... Something? Warthog, help me out-I'm not good when it comes to undead, Ander says, trying his best but failing to recall what vampires are vulnerable to.

Irish Musician
2016-01-26, 02:24 PM
Same religion check as Ander...lets see if two dwarves are going to be tripping over each other :smallamused: I'll edit this after I see the roll.

[roll0]

As Ander looks to Warthog for answers, and Warthog gave him a side glance, "Oh....uhh.....yeah. The vampires...they, uh......need to be, erm, killed? OR something? In the way, which, ya know.....you kill things like....vampires." Warthog gives Ander a look that says "No Idea" before look over to the Demon Hunter. "Zane, could ya shine some light on this?"

Lioslaith
2016-01-27, 07:57 AM
Assuming since I'm from the Ghost Slayer order I wont need a check? I will edit as needed if I went too far!

Sebastian looks to his companions, his face solemn. "Indeed he does need to be slain, however doing so with a vampire is more than just hitting him with sharpened metal until he stops moving. Most vampires have weaknesses which we will need to exploit. Our best ally will be the sun, which our hosts have already figured out. Usually they cannot enter a place unless invited inside. A stake through it's heart can paralyze it, some fear running water, the list is long." At this point Sebastian pauses as he thinks about this foe and then nods, "We will have to enter his lair and slay him there, it is the only way we can kill him and possibly save Ireena." As he lets all this sink in he looks to Amy to see how she is fairing.

Almost as an afterthought Sebastian seems to realize something, "Apologies but how long did you say your father has been dead?"

jkat718
2016-01-27, 11:31 AM
Startled by the sudden change in topic, Ireena stutters, "N-nearly a tenday ago. I hoped to have him in the ground before the next rest day, not that we hold services anymore..." Trailing off, she asks, "What does it matter? Dead is dead, my father is gone. Had he been afflicted by the vampire's curse, he would have risen by now."

JNAProductions
2016-01-27, 12:39 PM
Assuming since I'm from the Ghost Slayer order I wont need a check? I will edit as needed if I went too far!

Sebastian looks to his companions, his face solemn. "Indeed he does need to be slain, however doing so with a vampire is more than just hitting him with sharpened metal until he stops moving. Most vampires have weaknesses which we will need to exploit. Our best ally will be the sun, which our hosts have already figured out. Usually they cannot enter a place unless invited inside. A stake through it's heart can paralyze it, some fear running water, the list is long." At this point Sebastian pauses as he thinks about this foe and then nods, "We will have to enter his lair and slay him there, it is the only way we can kill him and possibly save Ireena." As he lets all this sink in he looks to Amy to see how she is fairing.

Almost as an afterthought Sebastian seems to realize something, "Apologies but how long did you say your father has been dead?"

Well, at least one of us has a brain, Ander mutters, mentally slapping himself for not knowing such important information.

Lioslaith
2016-01-27, 12:39 PM
Sebastian looks her square in the eyes, and as he hands her the letter, "It matters because he could not have written this letter we received."

Ghost Nappa
2016-01-27, 03:37 PM
Startled by the sudden change in topic, Ireena stutters, "N-nearly a tenday ago. I hoped to have him in the ground before the next rest day, not that we hold services anymore..." Trailing off, she asks, "What does it matter? Dead is dead, my father is gone. Had he been afflicted by the vampire's curse, he would have risen by now."

Amy's voice bears a dark tone of shame and guilt as she speaks, "Vampirism is not the only curse you have to fear. Do yourself a favor and cremate the body."

Lioslaith
2016-01-28, 08:27 AM
Sebastian turns to Amy, a quizzical look on his face, "What other curses, have you felt something?"

Irish Musician
2016-01-28, 01:10 PM
Warthog nods at Amy's words, "Aye, the little one speaks true. I've seen it on the battlefield. Men rising and walkin' 'round after I put 'em down fer good. There was a particular nasty Orc Shaman that could raise up the dead to fight fer him. It weren't a pretty sight."

I just kind of took it and ran with this. I'll edit it if that's not ok.

Lioslaith
2016-01-28, 02:15 PM
Shaking his head, Sebastian chimes in, "If Strahd is a vampyre AND a necromancer or is employing one I think more than just wolves would be assailing this home to gain entrance. Most undead do not share the vampyre's need for an invitation." Nodding more to himself than anyone in particular "No, I think we are safe from worrying if the Burgomaster will arise."

Ghost Nappa
2016-01-28, 06:11 PM
Shaking his head, Sebastian chimes in, "If Strahd is a vampyre AND a necromancer or is employing one I think more than just wolves would be assailing this home to gain entrance. Most undead do not share the vampyre's need for an invitation." Nodding more to himself than anyone in particular "No, I think we are safe from worrying if the Burgomaster will arise."

"..."

As Zane nods to himself, Amy points her wand at the body of the Burgomaster and begins to slowly and deliberately chant.

OoC: Characters receive the following bonus to any of the Insight checks they make:
Zane: +9
Jack: +7
Orcbowler: +6
Aelar: +5
Ander: +5
Ismarck: +2
Ireena: +2

Amy seems to be taking a lot more time than is required, as if giving everyone a chance to stop or interrupt her. Her decision to ignore Zane's analysis is worrying.
Amy is preparing a cantrip called Firebolt, that targets and strikes a single target with fire. She is trying to cremate the body.
Amy's odd behavior, ignoring of Zane, and insistence to cremate the body seems to indicate that she is not afraid of someone outside the house from raising the Burgomaster but rather inside. It is highly probably she is afraid of her own power.

Irish Musician
2016-01-28, 06:17 PM
Warthog, ever the watchful Sargent, realizes the girl's plans and steps in to stop her. When he talks, it is calm and even and understanding, and he steps right in front of her wand "No, lass. Don't be doing nothin' like that. Don't worry, we will be takin' care of him when it is light, the proper way. Trust me, yeah?" He looks at her with soft and understanding eyes, softer than you might think a dwarf's eyes could be.

Ghost Nappa
2016-01-28, 07:52 PM
Warthog, ever the watchful Sargent, realizes the girl's plans and steps in to stop her. When he talks, it is calm and even and understanding, and he steps right in front of her wand "No, lass. Don't be doing nothin' like that. Don't worry, we will be takin' care of him when it is light, the proper way. Trust me, yeah?" He looks at her with soft and understanding eyes, softer than you might think a dwarf's eyes could be.

OoC: Roll for Persuasion.

Lioslaith
2016-01-28, 09:32 PM
As the Orcbowler talks to Amy, Sebastian steps close to her and put his hand over the end of the wand. "Amy, you can handle this. You always could. We will take care of this in the morning as the dwarves have promised." If he gets little or no response, more firmly, "Amy, focus on me. Now."

JNAProductions
2016-01-28, 10:15 PM
Ander says nothing, but readies himself to step between the body and the bolt if need be.

Ghost Nappa
2016-01-28, 11:07 PM
The dwarf's voice and Zane's clear focus silences the doubts manifested at the sparking, red tip of the wand held in Amy's hands. The tension and fear in her eyes snuffed out, Amy calms down. She defers to the party but does not voice wh (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IHaveYouNowMyPretty)at (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CharmPerson)ever (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FaceMonsterTurn) concern she has. Finding a spot on the side of the room, she sits down and seems to...scrounge her face?

She must be thinking really hard about something.

OoC: So... I was going to keep the Persuasion DC rather at a low level to allow for the other characters a decent chance to succeed but I'm almost entirely sure that Zane is high enough that he cannot fail, and Orcbowler has actually been outgoing and friendly enough to pass even with a 2. It's the monster in front of Dorukan's Dungeon all over again!

For those of you wondering, Animate Dead is on Amy's spell list and she is aware that Vampires have some degree of mind control more powerful than Charm Person. The reason she wants to cremate the body is so that in the event she is targeted, she doesn't raise the Burgomaster herself with a power she is ashamed to have.

Also, more points to Ander, Zane, and Warthog for taking action.

Edit: Big points to Aelar for his actions in the next post.

lordshadowisle
2016-01-29, 12:23 AM
Aelar shakes his head at the sudden conflict within the party.

"I don't necessarily disagree with the young lady's actions. In some cultures, cremation is a perfectly legitimate funeral rite. In this case, it might even be a practical expedient.

Of course, these measures are quite unnecessary. This seems like the kind of situation that an experienced mage can easily resolve."

Aelar approaches the corpse of the Burgomaster. Placing some salt and a copper piece on each of the Burgomaster's eyes, Aelar explains, "During my travels to the east, I learned of the occupation known as 'corpse-transporting', where corpses of travelers that died in foreign lands would be transported to their homelands. To preserve the condition of the bodies of the deceased, a magical spell was used to halt decay. Conveniently, that spell also has the effect of blocking reanimation magic.

If the family has no objections, I'll spend the next few minutes casting the rather complex ritual."

Aelar will cast two rituals. Identify, to detect any spells currently affecting the Burgomaster. If nothing is detected, he will cast Gentle Repose. Aelar will attempt to cast the two rituals back-to-back to make it seem like one ritual.

Lioslaith
2016-01-29, 07:16 AM
Sebastian looks as if he is about to say something regarding Aelar's action but then relaxes when Aelar mentions asking the family what their wishes are.

Lioslaith
2016-01-29, 10:18 AM
Sebastian makes his way over to Amy, squatting down in front of her and waiting until she looks in his eyes. "Littlebit, I think I know why you are worried. This vampyre may be powerful but he shall not gain entrance here this evening and so you are safe from his control. And thus, the Burgomaster is safe from that...animate dead I think it was?... trick you know. I'm not going to let this monster have you or anyone else here, he is going to die...permanently this time.

Besides, with all of us crowded in here I doubt anyone else could fit!"

He looks for some sign of a lightening of her mood as he speaks, hoping he is reassuring her and not making things worse.

jkat718
2016-01-29, 11:26 AM
Exchanging a glance, Ireena and Ismark voice their consent to the preservation ritual.

If no one has anything else they'd like to do, you can begin bedding down for the night.

Ghost Nappa
2016-01-29, 11:39 AM
Sebastian makes his way over to Amy, squatting down in front of her and waiting until she looks in his eyes. "Littlebit, I think I know why you are worried. This vampyre may be powerful but he shall not gain entrance here this evening and so you are safe from his control. And thus, the Burgomaster is safe from that...animate dead I think it was?... trick you know. I'm not going to let this monster have you or anyone else here, he is going to die...permanently this time.

Besides, with all of us crowded in here I doubt anyone else could fit!"

He looks for some sign of a lightening of her mood as he speaks, hoping he is reassuring her and not making things worse.

Your friend cheers you on...

...it fills you with determination.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/dc/3d/9f/dc3d9fa8e459e8a0c306d5183d185016.jpg

Lioslaith
2016-01-29, 12:15 PM
Sebastian gives Amy a very rare warm smile and gets up, "I'll take first watch."

jkat718
2016-01-29, 02:49 PM
"Oh, a watch! Fantastic idea, sir!"
"I must insist, though, that either my brother or myself take the first watch. Unlike yourselves, we have not been on horseback all day, and--quite frankly--we would be far less useful in a fight. Please, get your rest, Mister, ah...why, Ismark, you haven't even told me the names of our guests!"
"..."
"You did ask them their names, didn't you, Ismark?"
"It...must have slipped my mind."
"Ismark, how could you let them into our home without knowing their names? How rude of you. As you lot already know, my name is Ireena Kolyana, and this is my brother, Ismark the Lesser. Please, let's go around and introduce ourselves, shall we?"

Lioslaith
2016-01-29, 03:22 PM
Sebastian's eyes narrow at Ismark, this was the first time they had thought of setting a watch? "Are you certain? It is no trouble to watch and with as many as we have sharing the duty is no trouble. My apologies for not introducing myself, I am Zane Shadowend, at your service."

Sebastian will take Ireena's hand gently and kiss the back as was customary, realizing only a bit afterward that it may not be custom here.

Ghost Nappa
2016-02-03, 06:51 PM
http://images.shining-bind.net/Tales%20of%20Xillia/Skit%20Faces/Tales%20of%20Xillia/Elize/talesofpoki_Elize_002.gif"My name is Amy, please to meet you."

She curtsies.

Irish Musician
2016-02-04, 02:07 PM
Warthog gives a curt nod to the pair, "Me names Warthog "Orcbowler" Hammersmith. Ya can call me Warthog, or Orcbowler, if ya'd like."

JNAProductions
2016-02-04, 02:10 PM
Ander Hornraven. Just Ander will be fine.

lordshadowisle
2016-02-04, 05:59 PM
My name is Aelar Daleran, though calling me Aelar is quite sufficient.

Ghost Nappa
2016-02-14, 11:17 AM
OoC: Be the dead guy.

You try to be the dead guy, but you can't because he's dead. You decide to stay as Amy.

It occurs to you that your Homestuck addiction might not be seen as funny to your teammates. You decide to wait for the DM to update something.

jkat718
2016-03-01, 07:41 PM
As everybody else beds down for the night, Sebastian finds himself a good vantage point from which to keep watch. One by one, each of the adventurers drift off to well-deserved sleep, along with their hosts. Alone, Sebastian's trained eyes scan the streets for anything amiss. The night seems dark, despite the nearly full moon rising above the treetops, for the thick, gloomy mists of Barovia shroud everything in a blanket of haze. A short while before Sebastian's shift is up, twin clouds detach themselves from a nearby fogbank and drift towards the mansion. As they draw nearer, their shapes become more defined, resolving themselves into two humanoid forms, that of a heavily-armored dwarf and a tall human fighter. The two spectral warriors stride resolutely on the residence of the late Burgomaster, drawing their weapons as they advance.

Lioslaith
2016-03-02, 07:27 AM
Sebastians eyes narrow at the approaching specters as he tries to discern any hints as to what they might be.

[roll0]
[roll1]

As he thinks about it he draws his sword, allowing the blade to drag along his hand. His blood slides down the blade turning it a sickly green and causing acid to drip ominously from it.

Realizing the things are likely ghost, though nothing really gave it away for him, Sebastian sounds the alarm to the rest of the group. These were likely beyond his abilities to handle alone and certainly weren't subject to the invitation restrictions a vampire might be.

Irish Musician
2016-03-02, 03:52 PM
Warthog doesn't sleep very hard when there might be a battle. He doesn't sleep hard anyway, too long living as a soldier, but especially when he knows something might happen. Zane's alarm is sent out and Warthog is immediately up with shield and hammer in hand. He smacks Ander with his sheild as he passes by him, not too hard but still enough to wake him, "Get up, Ander! Time for smashing!

JNAProductions
2016-03-02, 04:05 PM
RIGHT! Ander shouts, springing from his bed and grabbing his shield and weapons. Where's the threat? And how do we go about smashing it?

Ghost Nappa
2016-03-02, 07:10 PM
Amy is... (Initiative roll to simulate wakefulness: [roll0])

a bit slow to awake from her slumber. She must have been having some nice dreams...for once.

She slept in her armor due to some advice she received from Zane in the past for situations like this, but she is obviously a bit stiff and uncomfortable. Please don't make me DEX save...

lordshadowisle
2016-03-02, 07:45 PM
"Oh dear," Aelar mutters as he is roused from his trance by shouts from the other rooms. "That sounds like trouble."

As he leaves the study to head towards the source of the commotion, Aelar also casts a protective magic about himself.

Cast Mage Armor. Aelar's AC is now 15.

jkat718
2016-03-07, 04:56 PM
The two ghosts gather speed as they soar towards the mansion, screaming about "invaders of the ancestral land."

Ghost 1: [roll0]
Ghost 2: [roll1]

Ghost Nappa
2016-03-08, 08:28 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

"G-G-ghosts?!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2kyy9L1EJI)

Amy is clearly shaken by the presence of these ectoplasmic visitors.

jkat718
2016-03-08, 03:56 PM
Let's say Ander and Warthog are just down the stairs, where they could be quickly prepared to defend the front entrance (room A, on the right). Aelar has just left the either the study (room J) or the office (room L) and is just around the corner from Sebastian. Ireena and Amy were sleeping in Ireena's room (room K), and Ismark was in the master bedroom (room O).

Ireena crawls out of bed, snatching up a large knife from her bedside table. She creeps toward the door and cracks it open, peering down the hallway.
Object Interaction: draw Dagger
Move: room K, inside of room K/west door (X11 Y3)
Action: Hide [roll0]

The first spirit, that of a human swordsman, draws level to the windows from which the adventurers watch. He steps through the closest window and phantom shards of glass flying everywhere, dissolving into wisps of vapor. The ghost draws a wicked-looking, blood-soaked greatsword, and slowly turns to face Sebastian, teeth bared in a grimacing sneer.
Move: exterior, outside of room I/window 4 (X15 Y11)
Action: break room I/window 4
Move: room I, top of stairs (X15 Y10)

Lioslaith
2016-03-09, 07:27 AM
Sebastian's eyes narrow at the invading spectre, Something doesn't seem right here. He decides to leave his weapon where it is and take no action against the thing at this time, though he does keep a wary eye on it.

Sebastian is going to hold his action until the thing attacks and/or does something other than just visually threaten him or someone else in the home.

jkat718
2016-03-14, 08:59 AM
The second ghost drops out of sight of the party, hugging the ground as he approaches the house.

lordshadowisle
2016-03-14, 10:19 AM
Aelar hears the sound of shattering glass, and moves just to the opening of the corridor to take a look. Immediately he spots the ghostly creature, and he exclaims, "By the Feywilds, an evil spirit of the night!" Aelar then notices Zane standing passively along the corridor. "What are you doing, my boy! This is no time to be idle!"

A chill then runs down Aelar's spine, as a terrifying thought comes to him- could Zane have been ensorcelled? Mulling upon this possibility, Aelar moves to beside Zane, and gives him a heavy tap on the back. "Wake up, Zane!" Then, staring down the ghost, Aelar raises his staff at the creature. "Make not a single step, foul creature!"

Move first to X10,Y9. Then move beside Zane (X7, Y10). Free object interaction, tap Zane. Action, ready Ray of Frost at the ghost, trigger if ghost moves from its square.

DM, feel free to make the attack and damage rolls for me if the trigger activates.

Lioslaith
2016-03-14, 11:18 AM
Sebastian calmly holds up a hand to Aelar, "The thing has not attacked me yet. Not all spirits mean harm."

JNAProductions
2016-03-14, 11:22 AM
Not sure if it's quite my turn yet, but gonna post anyway. Especially since combat hasn't truly begun yet.

And I think I can Dash to get to the main area right now. If I'm wrong, let me know.

TIME TO GET SMASHED, YOU FOUL- Ander shouts as he rounds the corner, then sees his companions not yet taking action. There's an evil spirit, right? he says, hefting his War Pan. Why aren't we crushing it?

Ghost Nappa
2016-03-15, 03:24 PM
Having seen Zane worked before, Amy squeaked no louder than a whisper, "M-M-Most ghosts want or crave something that t-ties them to the living."

It was impressive anyone managed to hear her, because she was cowering behind Ireena; her eyes barely popping out from behind the larger woman.

Irish Musician
2016-03-20, 09:46 AM
Warthog is oddly surprised with the lack of action on Zane's part once he joins his allies. He's not really sure what to do here, and doesn't have much experience with the ethereal kind of enemy, so he waits for Zane to make the first move. "Zane doesn't seem to be attackin'....and I don't know nothing about attackin' no ghosts. Zane, I leave it up to yeh to let me know what ta do here."

Ready an action: if any ghost goes to attack an ally, I will run at them and knock them back using a Shove Attack Maneuver. Jkat, feel free to roll everything needed for that if it speeds up the process if the criteria is met for my action to go off.

Lioslaith
2016-03-21, 06:45 AM
Sebastian nods to his new companions, at the same time glad they trust his judgement and worried that he might be wrong. "My thanks, Child of the Stone, it has not tried to attack me yet. What you are hinging your inaction on is merely a gut instinct from me. One's that have been known to be wrong in the past or I would not have the scar's I carry now." He smiles at the dwarf but the Orcbowler can see the concern in his eyes.

jkat718
2016-04-05, 11:44 AM
Ireena ducks back into the room and, toying with the blade she holds, whispers to Amy, [SIZE=1]"Take a look, Amy. You're an adventurer, what do you think this ghost wants?"
Move: 11, 2 (5 ft.)

[COLOR="#cc0101"]"You have invaded the ancient land of Barovia, once the domain of great evil. You would have been wise to stay away, for now you must meet your doom." With a flick of his blade, the spirit sends droplets of blood flying. Raising his voice, he continues, "Who is the master of this domicile? Let him come forth and accept the punishment for harboring foreign invaders. Let him come forth and accept his death!" He slowly advances on Sebastian, flashing him a menacing look.
Move: 12, 9 (20 ft.)
Action: Ready (Trigger: hostile action by Sebastian; Action: Attack [Withering Touch attack against Sebastian])

Lioslaith
2016-04-05, 02:52 PM
Sebastian sets his sword down slowly but still within reach. "The master of this domicile is more likely among your kind than mine, spirit. And we are no invaders, we were invited here to try and stop a great evil." Sebastian's nerves are on edge but he takes no action yet towards the ghost, his hand still raised cautiously to hold off the dwarves.

Ghost Nappa
2016-04-05, 05:02 PM
Ireena ducks back into the room and, toying with the blade she holds, whispers to Amy, "Take a look, Amy. You're an adventurer, what do you think this ghost wants?"

Focusing on Ireena's question, rather than the encounter seems to calm the young girl as she concentrates her gray matter, but she has clearly let her guard down while doing so. (Amy's AC is considered 14 - down from 16 - for Round 2.)

Pressing her pointer fingers against the temples of her head, she begins speculating,
"Well usually in the stories I read it's only someone pretending to be a g-ghost so they can get someone's house or so they can be left alone.

But Zane told me that usually real g-g-ghosts have a personal motive from when they were alive that they hold on to, and that's why th-they return at all.

Or maybe they're just an illusion. It seems odd they haven't really done m-much yet."

The young sorceress does not appear to be convinced of any of the three possibilities, but cannot think of another despite her best efforts.

Irish Musician
2016-04-06, 08:54 AM
Warthog nods, "Aye. We are only here to be killin' the evil that be plaguin' the land, ghosty. On me honor as a solider, we are not here to be hurtin' the people.....but killin' the evil." Warthog lowers his warhammer, though doesn't relax his muscles....just in case.

Same Readied action, attack if attacked, knocking the ghost away from allies if he attacks first

jkat718
2016-04-19, 10:06 AM
Ireena freezes, going white in fear. "Do you feel that? Something evil. He's coming. Strahd...he's coming here."

jkat718
2016-04-19, 10:24 AM
From downstairs comes the sound of glass shattering, wooden boards groaning...and wolves. The infamous wolves of Barovia howl in fury as they tear the house's defenses to splinters and shards, paving the way for their dark master.

Down below, the dwarvish ghost screams in pain as sharp teeth and wicked claws rip into his misty flesh, slicing it to dissipating ribbons of ether.

Listening to his friend's demise, the other ghost cringes, then howls in fury and pain. He charges wildly at Sebastian, screaming curses at him for "calling this evil upon them all." His face twists, deforming into an expression of pure hatred.

Horrifying Visage: Each non-undead creature within 60 feet of the ghost that can see it must succeed on a DC 13 Wisdom saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. If the save fails by 5 or more, the target also ages 1d4 × 10 years. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the frightened condition on itself on a success. If a target’s saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the target is immune to this ghost’s Horrifying Visage for the next 24 hours. The aging effect can be reversed with a greater restoration spell, but only within 24 hours of it occurring.

Lioslaith
2016-04-19, 10:43 AM
A look of disappointment crosses Sebastian's face as the wolves break the brief respite from violence.

[roll0]

JNAProductions
2016-04-19, 11:03 AM
Wisdom Save [roll0]

Irish Musician
2016-04-19, 11:14 PM
Warthog snuffs and charges towards the ghost, raising his shield up and pushing it away from Zane, "We be tryin' to help ye, damn blasted ghost!"

Just going to run up and shove him 5ft away from Zane [roll0] vs its Athletics or Acrobatics check

Haha, wow. That is truly horrible :smalltongue:

jkat718
2016-04-20, 07:17 AM
Acrobatics: [roll0]

Ghost Nappa
2016-04-21, 02:01 PM
As far as I can tell, Amy hasn't actually seen the ghost and doesn't need to roll the save for Horrifying Visage.

lordshadowisle
2016-04-21, 11:37 PM
Wisdom save: [roll0]