PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Codex of the Infinite Planes (preempted thread-derail)

Jowgen
2015-11-04, 07:07 PM
Over in afroakuma's thread, the codex of infinite planes came up with mention how it's never sees mention in optimization. Seems like a fun project, so I figured I'd make a thread here for discussion.

First, the Aritifact description from the SRD

Codex of the Infinite Planes
The Codex is enormous—supposedly, it requires two strong men to lift it. No matter how many pages are turned, another always remains. Anyone opening the Codex for the first time is utterly annihilated, as with a destruction spell (Fortitude DC 30 for only 10d6 damage). Those who survive can peruse its pages and learn its powers, though not without risk. Each day spent studying the Codex allows the reader to make a Spellcraft check (DC 50) to learn one of its powers (choose the power learned randomly; add a +1 circumstance bonus on the check per additional day spent reading until a power is learned). However, each day of study also forces the reader to make a Will save (DC 30 + 1 per day of study) to avoid being driven insane (as the insanity spell). The powers of the Codex of the Infinite Planes are as follows: astral projection, banishment, elemental swarm, gate, greater planar ally, greater planar binding, plane shift, and soul bind. Each is usable at will by the owner of the Codex (assuming that he or she has learned how to access the power). The Codex of the Infinite Planes has a caster level of 30th for the purposes of all powers and catastrophes, and all saving throw DCs are 20 + spell level. Activating any power requires both a Concentration check and a Spellcraft check (DC 40 + twice the spell level of the power; the character can’t take 10 on this check). Any failure on either check indicates a catastrophe befalls the user (roll on the table below for the effect). A character can only incur one catastrophe per power use, even if he or she fails both checks.

d% Catastrophe
01-25 Natural Fury: An earthquake spell centered on the reader strikes every round for 1 minute, and an intensified storm of vengeance spell is centered and targeted on the reader.
26-50 Fiendish Vengeance: A gate opens and 1d3+1 balor demons, pit fiends, or similar evil outsiders immediately step through and attempt to destroy the owner of the Codex.
51-75 Ultimate Imprisonment: Reader’s soul is captured (as trap the soul; no save allowed) in a random gem somewhere on the plane while his or her body is entombed beneath the earth (as imprisonment).
76-100 Death: The reader utters a wail of the banshee and then is subject to a destruction spell. This repeats every round for 10 rounds until the reader is dead.

My take by just looking it over:

Learning the powers is relatively simple, since all you need is a way to always survive destruction and insanity , which are Death- and Mind-affecting. Being Undead or having some Soulfire Armor (BoED) plus any source of Mind-affecting Immunity would do it. Read long enough and the +1 bonus stacks up till you learn it, given enough time.

Using the powers reliably is a skill-optimization challenge. You need to have a +57 modifier in both spellcraft and concentration to never fail. I personally would very very much prefer a solution that doesn't rely on Guidance of the Avatar.

I personally think that the Catastrophes might be the most useful part of this item. If you can shore up enough immunity to the detrimental parts, most of them can be used quite effectively in an offensive/beneficial way, always with a 1 in 4 chance of getting the one they want. Also, you avoid the skill-optimization above and can potentially get use out of the them as a level 1 undead.

- Earthquake+ Storm of Vengeance

Earthquake is easy to avoid by flying, but it has real massive damage potential. The Storm of Vengeance is similar in damage potential but needs a lot of counters. Ideally you'd want immunity to deafness, acid damage (or resistance 12+), electricity immunity (or massive resistance), high bludgeoning damage reduction + the Anti-Impact ASA, Blindsense or another concealment-counter, and of course no inherent reliance on spells or ranged attacks. Better solution ideas welcome.

-Fiendish Vengeance

I'm not sure, but I don't think artifact-based Calling can be prevented with simple methods like Forbiddance. So Okay, you know you might be about to be beset upon by 2-4 Balors, Pit Fiends or other Fiends of similar CR. This might be massively useful if you can somehow turn them on your enemies or otherwise bend them too your will. I am way open to suggestions on how to do that.

Otherwise, might be hillarious if you kept using the thing while completely concealed so you get a bunch of confused Pit Fiends and Balors who'll most likely try and murder each other violently. :smalltongue:

- Ultimate Imprisonment
First I thought this one plain up sucks and has no potential benefit I can see. Then I realized that a Spellblade should work here, as it functions as two separate targeted spells. If so, then since the Trap the Soul doesn't allow a save, this would literally be a one-round "I Win" button against anything that isn't immune. You're now the King of Sigil's Infinite Dairy-product emporium. Otherwise, this just sucks.

- Death

A possibly rather handy one. As long as you're immune to death effects, you now safely spend the next ten rounds using Wail of the Banshee. Ten 40 ft spreads can cover a lot of ground if you got a decent move-speed. Might want to have some silence contingent so you don't kill stuff by accident though.

So yeah, that's my take on the thing. Feel free to discuss if you feel like it.

Slithery D
2015-11-04, 07:37 PM
The Pathfinder version has much better and extensive catastrophes.

2015-11-04, 07:50 PM
In regards to the skills: with just 2 SP/level, you can get 23 ranks by ECL 20; add a +30 item of each skills, and you've got a +53 before attributes, feats, or other bonuses (surely another +4 won't be hard to find). It's even easier if you've got 6 SP/level: item familiar makes that 46 ranks each, which means a +11 item (or a +10 item combined with some other small bonus) for each skill is enough to reliably make the check. In both cases, it's only feasible if you've got both skills on your class list, but it's hardly a bad investment to max out Spellcraft and Concentration anyway.

Not sure what to say about the rest of this, but that's my thoughts on optimizing skills to reliably make that check without Guidance of the Avatar.

Urpriest
2015-11-04, 07:55 PM
- Death

This might be the best one. Simply by being immune to death effects, you now spend the rest of your existence using Wail of the Banshee every minute on the clock. You'll probably want a way to not need to sleep (Waking Mind Graft, MoE I think it was?); plus a way to silence yourself at will so you don't murder anyone you meet for longer than a minute.

So yeah, that's my take on the thing. Feel free to discuss if you feel like it.

Pretty sure "every round for ten rounds" means "once a round, ten rounds in a row" and not "every ten rounds, forever".

Jowgen
2015-11-04, 08:27 PM
Pretty sure "every round for ten rounds" means "once a round, ten rounds in a row" and not "every ten rounds, forever".

Misread that part, my bad, goona fix in OP

ben-zayb
2015-11-04, 09:59 PM
Use the Mark of Cania + Imp + Moment of Perfect Mind trick. (Polymorph and feat shuffle, if you don't want to be a devil by default)

It solves both the save-or-die effects and the skill reqs.

EDIT: There's a fiendish vengeance clause? Better convert those Baatezu to side with your boss Mephistopheles, then.

Jack_Simth
2015-11-04, 10:23 PM
-Fiendish Vengeance

I'm not sure, but I don't think artifact-based Calling can be prevented with simple methods like Forbiddance. So Okay, you know you might be about to be beset upon by 2-4 Balors, Pit Fiends or other Fiends of similar CR. This might be massively useful if you can somehow turn them on your enemies or otherwise bend them too your will. I am way open to suggestions on how to do that.

Well, you can either hide from them (mundane hide, as they have True Seeing) and let them follow their natural inclinations when they can't find their target, or simply prevent them in the first place by being the creator of a demiplane (read Gate's description).

- Ultimate Imprisonment
First I thought this one plain up sucks and has no potential benefit I can see. Then I realized that a Spellblade should work here, as it functions as two separate targeted spells. If so, then since the Trap the Soul doesn't allow a save, this would literally be a one-round "I Win" button against anything that isn't immune. You're now the King of Sigil's Infinite Dairy-product emporium. Otherwise, this just sucks.

Trap the Soul (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trapTheSoul.htm) is a Conjouration(Summoning) effect. Get some Dimensional Shackles (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#dimensionalShackles) on yourself for that. Imprisonment... Craft Contingent Spell (Freedom) for when it happens? Alternately... optimize your will save, seeing as how it's only DC 29. Moment of Perfect Mind (Diamond Mind manuever from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords) replaces a Will save with an Immediate action and a concentration check... and you don't fail a Concentration check on a nat-1 so you just need a +28 Concentration modifier for that. Con is a primary score for any character, or near enough, so max ranks in Concentration + a decent Con mod and you're fine. Available via Martial Study, same book.

What resources are you looking at for the character build?

Jowgen
2015-11-04, 11:40 PM
Okay lets see what we got so far...

Skills

Hmmm... personally, I am always a tad wary of competence items above a +10. Item Familiar does look like it can go a very far way, provided it's allowed of course. Some githcraft armor and shield can add at least a rather cheap +2 to Concentration, more if you can get more of them onto yourself by using exotic variants. However, I think it might be a good idea to substitute Perform via Undersong, as I find it easier to optimize for charisma/perform, like by using Perform Weapondrill, the Nymph's Kiss feat, a Marshal dip, and purchasing Skill-focus in it from the Heward's Hall magical location. With spellcraft I don't see a better option than yours though.

Imp trick & Mephit-man

Hmmm. I'm not particularly familiar with ToB stuff as my tables denounce, but from what I've seen around I suppose that works.

As for the Balors & co, I personally don't see myself taking my way out of that. Unless, perhaps, I play on how they're in competition and how if only one of them comes back with this Powerful Artifcat, they're gonna earn a fat promotion (read: kill each other) :smalltongue:

Hiding from Fiends & Shackles

Hmmm... I think the hiding can be worked into something more offensive. By using disguise to look like the current intended target, plus UMD to emulate a specific individual for Artifact-Activation (it's a dragon mag use of the skill), and then immediately hiding/teleporting; one should be able to fool the fiends into mistaking the target for the individual who failed the check. Provided the target is within sight, the fiends should do kill them instead.

That does, however, still leave the problem of 2-4 very ill-tempered called fiends shuffling about the area :smalltongue:

Dimensional Shackles do seem like a solid solution to trap the soul; and yeah, imprisonment does seem like a bit of a stumper...

What resources are you looking at for the character build?

It's really not a character build I'm looking at. This is literally just me kicking around ideas on how this thing could be used in an optimized fashion because someone lamented how it got no love.:smalltongue:

Slithery D
2015-11-05, 12:16 AM
I tried doing the math on this for the pathfinder version, which just requires the spell craft check since concentration isn't a skill in that system.

I think I assumed +23 skill, +14 attribute (succubus profane gift for the extra push), +6 skill focus feat, +2 magical aptitude feat, +10 item. That gets us to +55. A trait can get us another +1, and then we can look at buffs like Amateur Investigator feat (d6) or Heroism, which last a long time.

If you're within 20 and a spontaneous caster you can convert Moment of Prescience spell slots into a safe use of a Codex power.

Jack_Simth
2015-11-05, 09:44 PM
If you're within 20 and a spontaneous caster you can convert Moment of Prescience spell slots into a safe use of a Codex power.A gotcha:
"Once during the spell's duration, you may choose to use its effect. This spell grants you an insight bonus equal to your caster level (maximum +25) on any single attack roll, combat maneuver check, opposed ability or skill check, or saving throw"

There's no opposed roll.