PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A weapon feat and a hit point feat. Thoughts (Was bored)?

Ralanr
2015-11-04, 07:39 PM
Full grip
- Whenever you use both hands to attack with a versatile weapon, double your strength modifier to the damage role.

I'll probably change to to "Half your strength modifier rounded up". But I don't know.

Vigorous
-Whenever you are restored hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to the amount you healed from the original source. This does not apply to regaining hit points from rests.

corjest
2015-11-05, 09:32 AM
Full grip
- Whenever you use both hands to attack with a versatile weapon, double your strength modifier to the damage role.

I'll probably change to to "Half your strength modifier rounded up". But I don't know.

The full strength modifier would easily put versatile weapons over a heavy two-hander. Comparing it to the great weapon feat I think most would rather take +str over -5 attack / +10 damage. Maybe you change it to optional -2 attack / +str damage, but also add some utility that only a versatile weapon could provide?

Vigorous
-Whenever you are restored hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to the amount you healed from the original source. This does not apply to regaining hit points from rests.
A bit strong considering some of the heals that are out there. How about making it so that the temporary hit points equal your con modifier instead? Could still be a little weak, feat wise though, so again maybe some other second effect?

Ralanr
2015-11-05, 12:20 PM
The full strength modifier would easily put versatile weapons over a heavy two-hander. Comparing it to the great weapon feat I think most would rather take +str over -5 attack / +10 damage. Maybe you change it to optional -2 attack / +str damage, but also add some utility that only a versatile weapon could provide?

I figured. After seeing the SCAG cover, I wanted to make something that encouraged players to use the versatile damage die rather than grabbing a shield. Though a feat might be pushing it, maybe a fighting style along the lines of, "When wielding a versatile weapon with both hands, you gain a +2 to attack rolls" though that makes it melee archery.

A bit strong considering some of the heals that are out there. How about making it so that the temporary hit points equal your con modifier instead? Could still be a little weak, feat wise though, so again maybe some other second effect?

I like the con mod idea. Maybe I could remove the rest exclusion and allow gaining temporary hit points through rests? Though that would make things odd since I don't know how long temporary hit points should last.

corjest
2015-11-05, 02:13 PM
I figured. After seeing the SCAG cover, I wanted to make something that encouraged players to use the versatile damage die rather than grabbing a shield. Though a feat might be pushing it, maybe a fighting style along the lines of, "When wielding a versatile weapon with both hands, you gain a +2 to attack rolls" though that makes it melee archery.

The versatile Fighting Style I let my players choose is "+1 to damage rolls with versatile weapons." Weaker than either Dueling or Great Weapon Fighting alone, but they get the bonus whether they wield it in one hand or two. Which I think is the benefit of a versatile weapon. Sometimes you need a hand free, sometimes you don't.

I like the con mod idea. Maybe I could remove the rest exclusion and allow gaining temporary hit points through rests? Though that would make things odd since I don't know how long temporary hit points should last.
If you go the rest path you could compare it to Inpsiring Leader feat which grants the entire party THP. Your goal in that case would be to make it worthwhile enough to compete with Inspiring Leader. You could allow +Con modifier THP with each healing and allow the same effect when spending Hit Dice.