PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Tea Master (Feat)

Zaydos
2015-11-04, 10:10 PM
Tea. I like tea. If you're reading this I assume you like tea. It is a wonderful brew. Some despicable sinners put sugar in it, as the creator of candy dragons I have quite a sweet tooth myself and commit such sins on a daily basis, some prefer it black. It is at the center of ceremonies, even to this day. People drink it hot. People drink it chilled with enough sugar to sicken even me. It is, or at least I enjoy to joke it is, the drink of civilization which differentiates the civilized from barbarians. In short, I like tea, so here is a tea-themed feat.

Mastery of Tea [General]
You are a master of the tea ceremony, able to brew tea to excite the mind, stoke the spirit, or invigorate the body.
Prerequisites: Profession (Tea Master) 5 ranks.
Benefit: Once per day you may perform a tea ceremony taking 1 hour. When you perform this ceremony choose mind, body, or spirit. Up to 2 participants plus 1 per 2 ranks in Profession (Tea Master) which partake of the tea brewed as part of this ceremony gain a benefit based upon your choice (you may be one of these participants) for 8 hours.
Body: Morale bonus to Strength and Dexterity checks and Strength and Dexterity based skills equal to +1 per 5 ranks in Profession (Tea Master) you possess.
Mind: Morale bonus to Intelligence checks and Intelligence based skills equal to +1 per 5 ranks in Profession (Tea Master) you possess.
Spirit: Morale bonus to Charisma checks and Charisma based skills other than Use Magic Device equal to +1 per 5 ranks in Profession (Tea Master) you possess.

tsj
2015-11-05, 01:02 PM
Fits nicely with a d20 hitchhikers guide to the galaxy setting. Arthur Dent needs his tea.

Elandris Kajar
2015-11-05, 04:14 PM
I'm probably missing this, but how long does the buff last?

2015-11-05, 04:44 PM
While it doesn't currently specify, I can't imagine the buff being intended to last longer than 24 hours, or maybe "until the next ceremony", or something similar.

Zaydos
2015-11-05, 07:02 PM
I'm probably missing this, but how long does the buff last?

While it doesn't currently specify, I can't imagine the buff being intended to last longer than 24 hours, or maybe "until the next ceremony", or something similar.

8 hours was the intent. Got lost in the shuffle when I was figuring out how to order things.

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-11-05, 10:09 PM
As you might somehow guess, I approve heartily of this. However, as I am on occasion one of the despicable sugar drinkers myself, I request a vile feat to represent this perversion.

Zaydos
2015-11-06, 01:15 AM
Milk Tea Mastery [Vile]
You are adept at the horrible and soul-destroying techniques of adding milk, sugar, and the blood of the innocent, to tea.
Prerequisites: Mastery of Tea, Profession (Tea Master) 6 ranks.
Benefit: You can make milk tea when you perform the tea ceremony. This grants recipients the benefits as if you chose Body in addition to one of the other two options, however it causes them to suffer a -1 penalty to Will saves and saving throws versus drugs for 24 hours, this penalty increases to -4 against spells or effects which you cast or create.

You may also use blood from a sentient (Int 3+) creature slain in the ceremony instead of milk in which case all bonuses from the tea are increased by +1, +2 if it was a good aligned cleric, incarnate, paladin, outsider, or other creature with an aura of good ability, or a unicorn.

Herbal Tea Mastery [Exalted]
You are adept at brewing a variety of healing herbal teas, which aid the body in healing
Benefit: You can make herbal tea when you perform the tea ceremony. In addition to the normal benefits of the tea ceremony herbal tea heals the recipient 1 point of ability damage to each ability score and a number of hit points equal to your character level.

Question: Should it be Profession (Tea Master) or Craft (Tea) or something else?

2015-11-06, 03:32 AM
I would like to mention (although I cannot currently remember where it became a RAW legal option) that Perform: Tea Ceremony exists by RAW. I found out about it from a sigged quote about inspiring your allies to victory by serving some bitchin' tea.

I'm gonna go see if I can track that down and determine the source.

Debihuman
2015-11-06, 04:54 AM
It would be Perform (Tea Ceremony) if you wanted to be historically accurate. The feat and the skill don't have to have the same name (and probably shouldn't to avoid confusion). The Geisha in Pathfinder has something similar as a special ability but Oriental Adventures has Perform (Tea Ceremony) as a skill see page 57.

Debby

Zaydos
2015-11-06, 01:51 PM
See now I'm torn. Profession has the key feature of being a class skill for most classes, not quite as many as Craft. Perform lacks that advantage, but it does make sense. Hmm...

And yeah the skill and feat need different names regardless, but I'll have to think about whether I want to make the feat more limited (by making it Perform), make it more powerful for niche optimization (by making it perform but grant Perform [Tea Ceremony] as a bonus class skill), or make it not quite fit by making it not perform.

I also feel I need to make exaggerated perform (tea ceremony).

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-11-06, 02:32 PM
I'd peg making a good cuppa as wisdom based, so I'd say Profession.

Also, thank you for the vileness.

Zaydos
2015-11-26, 03:37 PM
Update: Changed name so it wasn't the same as the profession skill but decided against using the more in keeping with OA perform skill because I preferred the ability for most character to access it (Fighter should have Profession as a class skill).

Ritual of Awakening
Nothing wakes you up in the morning like a hot cup of tea.
Benefit: If you make and drink a cup of tea within 1 hour of awakening (you may perform other acts that are not physically demanding such as preparing spells while doing this) you gain a bonus to Initiative, Listen, Search, and Spot checks equal to 2 + 2 x the number of feats you possess with Mastery of Tea as a prerequisite for 1 hour, and half that bonus for 7 more hours.

Tea Reader:
You are able to discern fate in the clumping of loose leafed tea.
Prerequisites: Mastery of Tea, Profession (Tea Master) or Profession (Fortune Teller) 9 ranks, the other 4 ranks.
Benefit: By making a cup of loose leafed tea and letting it steep (taking 10 minutes if you have a fire started and supplies) you may use Augury as a spell-like ability 1/day per feat you possess with Mastery of Tea as a prerequisite. In addition you may use Divination as a spell-like ability in this way 1/day + 1/day per 3 feats you possess with Tea Mastery as a prerequisite. In addition you gain a +3 bonus on Profession (Fortune Teller) checks and may use your ranks in Profession (Tea Master) in place of your ranks in Profession (Fortune Teller) if it is higher and you are telling fortunes via tea leaves.