PDA

View Full Version : Most Disturbing/Violent movie.

Penguinizer
2007-05-27, 07:39 AM
I just wanted to ask what is the most violent/disturbing movie you have seen.

For me, it is the Cube series. People dying in horrible ways for around one and a half hours.

Tengu
2007-05-27, 07:44 AM
It's an anime, so I'm not sure does it count, but:
Ninja Scroll. A huge guy covered in stokeskin raping the female lead, a woman who produces snakes through her *ahem*, and the disturbing bee-hive-man who makes my skin itch anytime I think about him. And that's not even the majority of everything disturbing that was in this movie.

And those things that weren't disturbing were so cliche it was not even funny. I really don't know how come that the people who made this piece of turd were also the authours of very good Vampire Hunter D.

kjones
2007-05-27, 07:49 AM
For me, it is the Cube series. People dying in horrible ways for around one and a half hours.

Are we talking the original Cube, Cube^2: Hypercube, or Cube Zero?

<<(huge fan of all three)

For me, I'd have to say either Kill Bill or Grindhouse.

Penguinizer
2007-05-27, 08:03 AM
Zero. But still, in each one, people dying in horrible ways. I've seen 1 and Zero.

Attilargh
2007-05-27, 09:06 AM
The first Saw. Yech. I will never, ever watch it again, nor will I watch its sequels. Even the Wikipedia article on the traps made me ill.

On the other hand, I can watch Hellsing Ultimate with a happy - and probably a bit maniacal - grin on my face. Which is a bit disturbing in itself, I must admit.

Reptilius
2007-05-27, 09:28 AM
300 was really violent, but not disturbing. Everyone who didn't see it should be jettisoned into the Sun. IT. IS. AWESOME.

The Orange Zergling
2007-05-27, 10:14 AM
Letters from Iwo Jima... the seppuku scenes are kind of test-y.

Also, from reading the trap list of Saw, I'd nominate that, even though I havent seen it. (stopped reading when I got to the needle pit x.X)

Reinforcements
2007-05-27, 10:24 AM
Well, A History of Violence was very violent (really?) and it's disturbing in the sense that critics loved it despite it being absolutely terrible.

Dihan
2007-05-27, 10:37 AM
Also, from reading the trap list of Saw, I'd nominate that, even though I havent seen it. (stopped reading when I got to the needle pit x.X)

Hmmm... I read the whole of the traps list and it didn't affect me at all...

Om
2007-05-27, 10:45 AM
Old Boy was disturbing on a few levels. Absolutely stunning film though.

Kitya
2007-05-27, 11:01 AM
For me, violence doesn't bother me so much as the head games and such. Seven just twisted me... partly cuz of the bad guy, and partly, I admit, the graphic details of the bodies. Great movie, but will never watch it again. It left me feeling very unsettled.

This one, is going to sound silly, and in a way it is, but this affected my dad even.. the guy who laffed thru the Exorcist, Psycho, etc. When I was a kid (I dunno, bout 10 I think), we rented a Disney movie.. we thought Hey! Disney! No problems.. good kid shows... We rented Watcher in the Woods. It's a great movie! But the music just flipped us out. Like I said, even made my dad a little uncomfortable. We even rented it several years later, thinking oh, it was just because we were kids... nope... didn't FREAK us out, but it left us unnerved. Weird movie.

JadedDM
2007-05-27, 11:08 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Passion of Christ, seeing as the whole movie was about a man being tortured to death.:smalleek:

Om
2007-05-27, 11:18 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Passion of Christ, seeing as the whole movie was about a man being tortured to death.:smalleek:Dude... spoilers!

Cyrano
2007-05-27, 11:31 AM
Battle Royale???? Like, DUH?

Archonic Energy
2007-05-27, 11:44 AM
Most Disturbing Movie: Catwoman.

Most Violent Movie: i'm kinda thinking Kill Bill here it's violent but... it's far too OTT to be considered realistic.

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-27, 12:11 PM
I also have to add that reading the trap lists from the Saw films made me feel a tad queazy, I doubt very much whether I'll watch the films when they're on tv. But reading about the Cube films didn't, and I'm looking forward to watching Cube when they show it again.

But as for me: I completely adore Oldboy, but it did have some harsh scenes Namely the dental torture and when the "hero" cuts his own tongue out. Yeeouch...But I was still laughing from when he killed those guys with the toothbrush when it happened, so not exactly disturbed. Love that hammer fight too, an absolutely stunning scene, the music, visuals and choreography...but it is pretty violent.

I normally find the Final Destination films to be the most disturbing, because some of the deaths are a tad nasty, yet feasible. And whenever I've seen weird stuff from the Hellraiser films it stays with me...

Penguinizer
2007-05-27, 01:19 PM
Cube doesn't sound violent. But the flesh eating trap in Cube Zero is nasty :smallyuk:

well, the first one anyways. Then there is the speaker trap. Which blows up a guy in a bloody spatter. Blah.

Lord of the Helms
2007-05-27, 01:59 PM
I agree, Saw was nasty. From what I heard, the third one makes the first two seem like child's play, so I'm not too sure if I should really ever watch it.

300 was really violent, but not disturbing. Everyone who didn't see it should be jettisoned into the Sun. IT. IS. AWESOME.

It's a supremely bad movie, but not really all that disturbing.

Setra
2007-05-27, 02:10 PM
The most disturbing movie I've ever seen was.. probably.. Jaws.

Yeah, I'm a wuss.

Edit: Reading about Saw on Wiki makes my Jaw hurt.

Hoggy
2007-05-27, 02:15 PM
Saw made me laugh. Love those films.

American History X is pretty disturbing.

Shower rape FTL.

Lemur
2007-05-27, 02:28 PM
Fritz the Cat was a weird movie. Not really violent, just... strange. But then, that's R. Crumb for you.

Dihan
2007-05-27, 02:48 PM
Billy Elliot was disturbing...

Lord of the Helms
2007-05-27, 02:51 PM
Dude... spoilers!

Jesus dies.

:smalltongue:

Kraggi
2007-05-27, 03:14 PM
Snape kills Jesus.

Turcano
2007-05-27, 03:24 PM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Passion of Christ, seeing as the whole movie was about a man being tortured to death.:smalleek:

I'll second that one. That movie was the distilled essence of almost everything wrong with Mel Gibson.

Hazkali
2007-05-27, 05:09 PM
I'll second that one. That movie was the distilled essence of almost everything wrong with Mel Gibson.

Is it worrying that as an Atheist I rate the Passion as one of my favourite films?

I daren't see any of the Saw films though... at least with the Passion everyone knows the ending...except Om, it appears.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-27, 05:30 PM
Is it worrying that as an Atheist I rate the Passion as one of my favourite films?

I daren't see any of the Saw films though... at least with the Passion everyone knows the ending...except Om, it appears.

Sure, it's fine.

It's the Christians that hate it.

Setra
2007-05-27, 06:24 PM
I'm scared to see Saw III :smalleek:

Emperor Ing
2007-05-27, 07:16 PM

:smalleek: Yes, very much so...im going to stand over here now.....

Eladrinstar
2007-05-27, 11:53 PM
Final Destination. After watching the three movies in a row I was jumping at every random thing or sharp object for a week.

geek_2049
2007-05-28, 05:34 AM
I have seen many of the movies mentioned, yet...

Most disturbing and most violent go to Director Takashi Miike.

Most Violent: Ichi the Killer

Most Disturbing: Visitor Q

I recommend them both.

I have friends who have mentioned more disturbing movies, I have yet to see them. Though I will ask and include them

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-28, 10:07 AM
Final Destination. After watching the three movies in a row I was jumping at every random thing or sharp object for a week.

Phew, I thought it was just me...I watched a montage of FD deaths on Youtube a fortnight ago, some deaths are pretty funny, but some are really disturbing...

For me it was the lift door decapitation, for sheer pain potential. But the most disturbing was the sunbed death from FD3. That is so deeply unpleasant...I don't care for sunbeds and tanning equipment anyway, but I could never use one now...:smalleek:

Dib
2007-05-28, 02:53 PM
This place is made of Woomps! Thats right! I just made that word up! Guess what it means! Scared to see Saw 3? Bah! Great movie... excellent twist... though some would disagree... but it wasn't disturbing for me at all... or all that violent... I wouldn't say the first two were very violent or disturbing either, but still moreso than the third... Anyway, my choices...

Most Disturbing: Maybe the eye monster (dont know what its called) from Pan's Labyrinth... those wrinkles... eesh... Maybe Donnie Darko, not in a scary way... in a good way...

Most Violent: I would say Kill Bill, but the violence is far too comical to me... so I'm gonna say Pan's Labyrinth...

Smashes that kids face in with the gun butt kinda creeped me a bit... but not in a disturbed way

...some of Butterfly Effect was quite violent as well...

I know there's worse out there... but I can't jusge these things... you just can't creep me out...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-28, 03:40 PM
Most Disturbing: Maybe the eye monster (dont know what its called) from Pan's Labyrinth... those wrinkles... eesh... Maybe Donnie Darko, not in a scary way... in a good way...

I think "The Pale Man" is the official name for that beastie but it isn't mentioned in the film, I've seen it in an interview with the director though.

That movie isn't disturbing any more than say, Puss in Boots. You just haven't seen such a realistic approach to Puss in Boots.

Come on, it has a man-eating ogre who can cast spells and a talking cat. That would be pretty disturbing in real life.

Vaniel
2007-05-28, 04:00 PM
Full Metal Jacket
Clockwork Orange
Schindler's List
Battle Royale
Saw
Braindead
2LDK

I can't think of any more at the moment.

Braindead has got to be the greatest zombie movie of all time!

Setra
2007-05-28, 10:37 PM
This place is made of Woomps! Thats right! I just made that word up! Guess what it means! Scared to see Saw 3? Bah! Great movie... excellent twist... though some would disagree... but it wasn't disturbing for me at all... or all that violent... I wouldn't say the first two were very violent or disturbing either, but still moreso than the third... Anyway, my choices...
I've said this before.

I, am a wuss. :smallsigh:

I was creeped out by the Silent Hill Movie.

geek_2049
2007-05-29, 12:25 AM
I believe Takashi Miike inspired the Saw type movies.

RTGoodman
2007-05-29, 12:41 AM
Well, I've never really been disgusted by a movie (I guess I've just become desensitized to it or something), but there are some that, if I weren't me, might creep me out a little.

Most Disturbing: The Pale Man from "Pan's Labyrinth," "A Clockwork Orange," and "Audition." Of course, I loved the first two, and thought "Audition" would have been good if it weren't for the first hour or so. Also, "28 Days Later" and "28 Weeks Later" - I'm fine with slow zombies, but fast zombies freak me out.

Most Violent/Gruesome: "Hostel" (a terrible film) and "The Passion of the Christ" (which I also hated). Oh, and did anyone else see "Assault on Precinct 13"? That wasn't actually very violent (or good, for that matter), but it wins my award for most headshots in a single film. I'm not even kidding when I say that nearly every character in it died from getting shot in their head (and apparently in the part that makes your head blow up when you get shot there).

dogmac
2007-05-29, 03:01 AM
Disturbing/Violent ones: Once were Warriors and Romper Stomper are the two that spring to mind, because they are realistic violence and more disturbing (for me) because of that.

My most influential horror movie: The hitcher. I didn't need Mum to tell me not to pick up hitchhikers after that.

Most disturbing not violent perse film: Hmmm... the WarZone maybe. Or maybe The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and her Lover.

Paul_Blue
2007-05-29, 03:48 AM
I must say that the worst I have ever seen "Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom", http://imdb.com/title/tt0073650/
I mean, the plotline say it all: "Four fascist libertines round up 9 teenages boys and girls and subject them to 120 days of physical, mental and sexual torture."

Do not see it.

repeat: Do.not.see.it!

Vaniel
2007-05-29, 11:21 AM
I must say that the worst I have ever seen "Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom", http://imdb.com/title/tt0073650/
I mean, the plotline say it all: "Four fascist libertines round up 9 teenages boys and girls and subject them to 120 days of physical, mental and sexual torture."

Do not see it.

repeat: Do.not.see.it!

Looks awesome! I'll try and find it :P

Deckmaster
2007-05-29, 12:10 PM
I can't believe nobody said Hostel. That's the only movie I've ever seen that actually scared me.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-29, 12:25 PM
Looks awesome! I'll try and find it :P

Each to his own.

Or his deserved lock-up.

Jibar
2007-05-29, 12:31 PM
I'm going to tell a little story about my sister now.
She laughed watching Saw. And Saw II. And Saw III. In fact, she's laughed at most horror films.
I can't decide if she's just plain damn twisted, if she's that attached to reality that she sees films as films instead of getting drawn in.
All I know is that she scares the crap outta me, and is one of the many causes of my elucidated paranoia.

I can't really contribute to this thread, because the scariest films I can watch are Sleepy Hollow and The Mummy.
I went to see a damn play and couldn't sleep for a week. Memories of this play keep me haunted at night. God knows what would happen if I watched some of the films mentioned here.

Penguinsushi
2007-05-29, 12:39 PM
I may be alone in this, but i thought one or two of the final scenes in Blade were pretty bad. They actually made me dizzy/lightheaded. I think i've become squeamish over the last several years. ...of course, it could have also had something to do with the blinky christmas lights in the otherwise dark room and the fact that I hadn't eaten anything all day (this was at about 10pm)...

Having seen Pan's Labyrinth recently (i saw that someone else had mentioned this one...), there are some pretty graphic scenes there that made me cringe, but they didn't bother me as much as the other. (Still, a very good, very sad movie.)

~PS

Dihan
2007-05-29, 05:41 PM
I have an urge to watch Saw but my fear of puppets is keeping that urge down.

Jorkens
2007-05-29, 08:11 PM
I've not seen it, but Cannibal Holocaust is one that normally comes up in this sort of discussion...

Dr._Weird
2007-05-29, 08:47 PM
Well, I've never really been disgusted by a movie (I guess I've just become desensitized to it or something), but there are some that, if I weren't me, might creep me out a little.

I love how everyone has to make themselves seem so fearless and strong. It's okay guys, you can admit you get scared on occasion. You don't even know these people.

As for disturbing movies, I dunno. I try to stay away from horror movies.

Zael Zuran
2007-06-02, 10:18 PM
I love how everyone has to make themselves seem so fearless and strong. It's okay guys, you can admit you get scared on occasion. You don't even know these people.

As for disturbing movies, I dunno. I try to stay away from horror movies.

GENTLEMEN! (Just for you Dr. W :smallwink: )

I doubt they're acting tough. Horror movies just get less and less horrible with repeated exposure. I routinely watch movies that terrorized me as a child and howl with laughter. Once the horror is gone, its easier to spot all the goofy mistakes that plague movies of all genres.

Case in point, some people fainted, screamed, or had to be removed from the theater when the Phantom of the Opera was first unmasked, way back when.

Nowadays, the Phantom is in the same sorry shape as the Universal monsters. I'm surprised he never received his own marshmallow laden cereal like the rest of them.

Horror concepts only stay scary for so long. Especially when you know its all special effects. Take Freddy Krueger. Did he even make it to his second movie before devolving into self parody? (Its never a good sign for the Horror aspect of a scary movie when the audience is actively rooting for the monster.)

Even disturbing movies eventually lose their power. In Salo, for instance, I started getting more curious about the "how" of the FX, instead of letting it bother me. ("Are those tootsie rolls?" :smallyuk: )

BrokenButterfly
2007-06-03, 08:57 AM
Completely forgot about Braindead actually, I felt pretty queazy through a lot of that film. So gory...but a lot of things in it that were just sick as well. And I normally like zombies...

Nevrmore
2007-06-03, 04:03 PM
Most disturbing for me goes to Videodrome.

James Woods having a sadomasochistic relationship with some girl as he slowly goes crazy from watching a strange pirate tv channel that eventually brainwashes him and morphs his stomach so that video tapes could be put inside that force him to act out his master's wishes and then his hand fuses with his gun that apparently shoots cancer or something instead of bullets and he can shoot grenades out his stomach and then he kills himself.

Did you get all that?

twerk_face
2007-06-04, 06:06 AM
Oh, easily Grindhouse. So disgusting. But still, one of the best movies ever made.

Tarintino's death scene was so disgusting its not even funny. oh wait, yes it is.

MinusInnocence
2007-06-04, 07:17 AM
Most disturbing for me goes to Videodrome.

James Woods having a sadomasochistic relationship with some girl as he slowly goes crazy from watching a strange pirate tv channel that eventually brainwashes him and morphs his stomach so that video tapes could be put inside that force him to act out his master's wishes and then his hand fuses with his gun that apparently shoots cancer or something instead of bullets and he can shoot grenades out his stomach and then he kills himself.

Did you get all that?If by "disturbing" you mean "totally hot," then yes all of those parts of the movie were disturbing.

There are plenty of violent movies, and plenty more movies that are supposed to be disturbing because they're so violent. People have already listed plenty of good ones.

I have a hard time narrowing it down to one specific film that was so violent it stood out in my mind as such... I recently saw Kingdom of Heaven again and it was pretty violent. The action sequences were shot well too, very hectic and confused. That's what it would really be like with thousands of men swinging weapons around, and it's nice to finally see a movie where people fall down, their swords break and they're left to bash each others' brains in. Some movies are so polite and neat even when they're about people killing each other but Kingdom of Heaven wasn't.

As for disturbing, I guess the only movie that really left me totally uncomfortable and was so bad I couldn't finish it was David Lynch's Fire Walk With Me, a prequel to his television series Twin Peaks.

If we're talking about individual scenes, I have a really difficult time watching anything with rape. I clapped and cheered in the theatre during the blowtorch scene in Hostel, I was tickled by the dancing and dialogue of Michael Madsen's ear scene in Reservoir Dogs, I laughed out loud watching Pan's Labyrinth during the cheek scene... but I can't watch people being sexually assaulted.

I don't even like watching the back-of-the-bus scene at the beginning of Zack Snyder's 2004 Dawn of the Dead, and she's just being held down and bitten, not raped. That's my Achilles heel I guess.

JuanCudz
2007-06-07, 07:25 AM
I was disturbed by 'Event Horizon', esp the data logbook retrieved from the computer. This is the theatre release mind, the dvd was toned down a lot.

Dr._Weird
2007-06-07, 11:22 AM
GENTLEMEN! (Just for you Dr. W :smallwink: )

I doubt they're acting tough. Horror movies just get less and less horrible with repeated exposure. I routinely watch movies that terrorized me as a child and howl with laughter. Once the horror is gone, its easier to spot all the goofy mistakes that plague movies of all genres.

Case in point, some people fainted, screamed, or had to be removed from the theater when the Phantom of the Opera was first unmasked, way back when.

Nowadays, the Phantom is in the same sorry shape as the Universal monsters. I'm surprised he never received his own marshmallow laden cereal like the rest of them.

Horror concepts only stay scary for so long. Especially when you know its all special effects. Take Freddy Krueger. Did he even make it to his second movie before devolving into self parody? (Its never a good sign for the Horror aspect of a scary movie when the audience is actively rooting for the monster.)

Even disturbing movies eventually lose their power. In Salo, for instance, I started getting more curious about the "how" of the FX, instead of letting it bother me. ("Are those tootsie rolls?" :smallyuk: )

Fair enough, fair enough. I still seriously doubt that all these people are scared by no movie, ever.

EDIT: To clarify, my initial post was also a little peeved about the "if I weren't me" which obviously states yes, I am scared of these.

It's very reminiscent of some of Caesars more egotistical lines in Julius Caesar, and we all know what the lesson of that play was... :smallwink:

Cyborg Pirate
2007-06-07, 02:58 PM
I have to rate [i]Irreversible[i] as the single most f**ked-up disturbing movie I've ever seen.

I find lots of things quite mundane and tolerable, maybe I'm too desensitized. But that one scene (and those who've seen it know what I'm talking about) in Irreversible... Good lord... It got my blood boiling so badly and pissed me off so much I broke the chair I was sitting in. One friend Who was watching with me almost also broke his chair, and I had to punch another friend who was watching too to calm him down.

And yet, I feel that everyone in the world should see that movie atleast once. To be reminded of the true horrors of the world and of life. Not of the crazy horrors like Saw, but the very real horrors that lurk around every corner.

smellie_hippie
2007-06-08, 12:02 PM
I was actually pretty disturbed by some of the violent scenes in Sin City.

Dib
2007-06-08, 12:54 PM
I, am a wuss. :smallsigh:

:smallamused:

I was creeped out by the Silent Hill Movie.

I love that movie... though I always get sleep at the half way point :smallconfused:

maskimus
2007-06-08, 02:53 PM
Most Disturbing - "The Naked Prey" by Cornell Wilde Made in the 50's. Saw it on TV by accident and had nightmares for weeks!

Duaneyo1
2007-06-08, 05:47 PM
There's a movie called "Girl in the Basement." Watching the movie was an horrific experience. Did I say horrific? I meant to say horrifying. Rent this movie today!!!!!

JabberwockySupafly
2007-06-08, 06:10 PM
I don't really watch slasher flicks, so disturbing for me generally has nothing to do with violence. Generally I enjoy movies that mess with my head or just have a surreal or unsettling atmosphere, and I consider those disturbing to some extent. some of the best i can think of are:

Donnie Darko
Return to Oz (very creepy atmosphere for a kid's movie, but still a good movie)
Mirrormask (in a very good way)
A Clockwork Orange
Brazil (again, in a good way)
Hellraiser (the ORIGINAL)
Hellraiser 3 ( I...Am...Pain)
Cube (haven't seen any of the others, just the original)
2001 (HAL freaks me out)
IT by Stephen King (Beep Beep Jimmy! Tim Curry plays a GREAT Pennywise)
Silent Hill (again, the atmosphere was so well done and the monsters were brilliant)
12 Monkeys (Gilliam does it again!)

there are probably more but it's early in the morning here and I'm too tired to consider thinking of more.

Cheers!
JS

Nathander
2007-06-09, 10:43 PM
Most Disturbing: David Lynch's Eraserhead and/or Shinya Tsukamoto's Tetsuo: The Iron Man

Most Violent: Grindhouse, Ichi the Killer (even if the manga was several times worse both in the psychologically disturbing factor and violence factor)

blade_runner
2007-06-10, 10:09 AM
I feel rather disturbed now. A month before I read this thread and discovered cube, I had a dream about wandering around in a series of rooms within a giant mettle cube (of course, that was what hell was like, not the same plot at all).

Anyway, I am the kind of guy who watches horror movies and does one of the following:
1.nitpicks about any inconsistency with reality (Saw was full of these)
2. Repeatedly screams "get a d*** gun and shoot it".

I don't even have nightmares after (well, to anyone else they would count as nightmares, but I have a gun)

As a result, I can watch anything, except this. (please don't laugh):

When I was about a 1'st grader, I rented a Disney movie "The Brave Little Toaster". That movie scared the HECK out of me. I don't know why, but it just did. :smallbiggrin:

sethdarkwater
2007-06-12, 10:20 PM
Akira, that is hands down. The scene whe his girlfriend is popped like a zit inside his giant organs and blood goes everywhere, followed by him turning inside out and sucking up three children who look like there 100+. If thats not disturbing i dont know what is lol.:smallsmile:

sethdarkwater
2007-06-12, 10:22 PM
When I was about a 1'st grader, I rented a Disney movie "The Brave Little Toaster". That movie scared the HECK out of me. I don't know why, but it just did. :smallbiggrin:

Im with ya on that. It was probably the giant hell clown.

Ras Sha'Akhamen
2007-06-12, 10:31 PM
Birth of a Nation is the most disturbing, Ichi the Killer (along with most other Takashi Mike flicks) is the most violent. Ricki-Oh! is up there, too. Intestine garotte FTW!

Querzis
2007-06-12, 10:38 PM
I dont know if Anime movie count but when I saw the title of the thread I automatically though : Evangelion the movie. I threw up two times while watching it, I could hear my own heartbeat and, after seeing the movie, I felt like I could scream for one week.

I saw almost every movies that were mentionned in this thread...they dont even come close to evangelion. I think I said «Oh my fuc**** God» about a hundred time when I watched it.

Nevrmore
2007-06-12, 10:59 PM
I dont know if Anime movie count but when I saw the title of the thread I automatically though : Evangelion the movie. I threw up two times while watching it, I could hear my own heartbeat and, after seeing the movie, I felt like I could scream for one week.

I saw almost every movies that were mentionned in this thread...they dont even come close to evangelion. I think I said «Oh my fuc**** God» about a hundred time when I watched it.

No offense, but maybe there is some psychological trauma tied to Evangelion. I saw that movie and it wasn't that much weirder to me than the anime. A hell of a lot more confusing, but not more disturbing.

Fat Daddy
2007-06-12, 10:59 PM
Old Boy was disturbing on a few levels. Absolutely stunning film though.

I agree with Om on this one. The violence didn't get to me but the other stuff was truly, horrifyingly disturbing. I saw it a few months ago and still find myself disgusted when my mind drifts to some of the plot twists.

Sure, it's fine.

It's the Christians that hate it.

Closet_Skeleton - you're walking a pretty thin line there (some would say you crossed it). Please refrain from generalizing religious groups like that. I know that I for one, was a little peeved by your comment.
As a Christian I can tell you that you are wrong. I won't get into specifics but I liked the movie. It just made me feel bad about myself, so I find it difficult to watch.

Querzis
2007-06-12, 11:43 PM
No offense, but maybe there is some psychological trauma tied to Evangelion. I saw that movie and it wasn't that much weirder to me than the anime. A hell of a lot more confusing, but not more disturbing.

I personnaly think it was really gore, violent and disturbing. Hell, if a giant human face cut in two half, an evangelion that take the jaw of a angel and tear it apart, the same evangelion that then get eaten alive by angels and all thats left of it is a pile of organs and an eye dangling from the skull, a girl that make everyone she touch explode, seeing many people become totally insane and knowing that if you would be living those things you would just as totally insane as them etc... are not violent and disturbing I dont know what its supposed to be. But hey, some people dont find any anime violent because its just drawing but movies are just special effect too anyway.

Anyway, you might say it was not weirder then the anime but the anime was really weird in the first place.

Flirkann
2007-06-19, 08:34 AM
I've never had a problem with anime - though you have to wonder what is going through the minds of the creators with some of the stuff they come up with.

The main films I've had an issue with are 8mm - that was just freaky the first time I saw it, a little better the next time though I still felt weird after.
And Hostel - what was the story again??? :smallamused: I think I blinked and missed it.

And as for The Passion Of The Christ, my hat's off to Mel for doing it right. (I'm a Salvo BTW :smallsmile: )

Tor the Fallen
2007-06-25, 01:25 AM
If you want pure gruesome, go Japanese. Audition and Ichi were probably some of the most consistently gross movies I've seen.

Axl_Rose
2007-06-25, 01:39 AM
I hate my cousin for this...

I watched Stigmata when I was 7. I was freakin scared ****less. At the time, I had never EVER in my life heard such vulgarities and seen such explicit gore involving religion and the supernatural.

DomaDoma
2007-06-25, 09:20 AM
The most graphically violent movie I've ever seen is Pan's Labyrinth, actually. (I'm not much for horror.) It made me flinch at more than a few points, and even Braveheart didn't do that. But it's less disturbing, more... unsettling.

Zeku
2007-06-27, 04:17 PM
I wasn't able to sleep with my head uncovered until pretty far into high school, due to the movie Alien. That seems very silly now, but it happened, so I must have been scared pretty badly at the time.

I can't really answer the query, since I'm careful to avoid movies like this, but I noticed a very strong psychological reaction to recently watching Fight Club for the first time. For over 24 hours, in spite of my best intentions, I began to think exactly in the way that this movie represents people, being simultaneously hopeless, pragmatic, and self-destructive. Snapping back to my true personality was like suddenly taking off a heavy backpack, it was a very strong and bizarre experience, one that I was happy to leave behind. I became more convinced than ever about how foolish that sort of thinking is.