PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Minotaurs of Kyrnn, where art thou?

Coyote81
2015-11-05, 03:39 AM
I have a fascination with the Minotaurs in the UA Waterborne Adventure. I don't think they are overpowered, probably more like on par to some of the better races but still not the best. however I never see anyone talking about playing a Minotaur character. They just seem so good for so many classes and just amazing for certain niche roles.

-They make amazing Gish characters, since they are always armed but can still wield a shield or 2nd weapon and always have a hand free.
-They seem to be excellent fighters/paladins/barbarians/melee rangers
-They even have some unique niche non-combat abilities such as water navigation and labyrinth recall.

Why do you think Minotaurs aren't talked about much? Do you have some Minotaur builds that are interesting and might inspire future Minotaurs of Krynn to join the few and the honorable.

hymer
2015-11-05, 04:07 AM
Why do you think Minotaurs aren't talked about much?

Maybe some people don't like the idea of playing a character with a cow's head? Maybe they see minotaurs as a monster race, and that makes them very limiting in social situations?

Capac Amaru
2015-11-05, 04:23 AM
I used one as an Ocean Druid with the Sailor background as an NPC in the campaign I'm running.

He's cobbled together a diving bell, thornwhipped a reef shark that was chomping on the party, and become romantically entangled with the party's half-orc barbarian.

Coyote81
2015-11-05, 05:07 AM
I used one as an Ocean Druid with the Sailor background as an NPC in the campaign I'm running.

He's cobbled together a diving bell, thornwhipped a reef shark that was chomping on the party, and become romantically entangled with the party's half-orc barbarian.

Interesting, mines is an ex-sailor who then followed in his fathers footsteps as the Emperor's Royal Guard. He failed to protect the emperor and self-exiled himself trying to regain his sense of honor and hunt down the wizard that killed the Emperor. My characters is a Fighter1 Adjurer6 as of right now. He's determined to use his magical training to hunt down rogue wizards and protect his teammates from their evil ways. I use a shield+1 and open hand, but I also have a Trident of Speak with Animals(fish) on my back.

ryan92084
2015-11-05, 05:55 AM
I plan on playing one soon that was exiled for cheating in a fight at the Circus. However, that is largely a cover to go out and gather information. Perfect back story for a barbarian/rogue grappler imo.

Stan
2015-11-05, 08:56 AM
One issue is that minotaurs carry the taint of Dragonlance. What's next, Kender?

If it's made clear that there happen to be civilized minotaurs in a world but they have no connection to Dragonlance and lore from Krynn cannot be referenced, then they're alright.

eastmabl
2015-11-05, 09:20 AM
I think that the reason why you don't see them in builds is twofold.

First, when you look at the boards, there aren't a lot of people who play in the Dragonlance CS. We may just have a sample bias, but most people are playing in FR or an agnostic system world.

Second, the race doesn't have much of a thumbprint in other wolds. Minotaurs are really only in Dragonlance as far as fantasy settings go, although I believe Midgard has some minotaurs (I'm still working my way through Southlands CS).

Darkzekkai
2015-11-05, 09:37 AM
I have a friend that plays 3.5 and loves minotaurs, but his reason for loving them is for their ridiculous stats. Even if he had to forgo levels to play one, he didn't care. He wanted the stats. But the 5th ed minotaurs have been balanced with the rest if the characters, so he doesn't care for them as much any more. I think maybe others feel this way too.

RossN
2015-11-05, 09:46 AM
One issue is that minotaurs carry the taint of Dragonlance. What's next, Kender?

If it's made clear that there happen to be civilized minotaurs in a world but they have no connection to Dragonlance and lore from Krynn cannot be referenced, then they're alright.

I admit I'm biased because I am a Dragonlance fan but the PHB mentions the Kagonesti when talking about Wood Elves and the Hylar when talking about Dwarves. Why not generic civilised Minotaurs?

Thrudd
2015-11-05, 11:04 AM
I admit I'm biased because I am a Dragonlance fan but the PHB mentions the Kagonesti when talking about Wood Elves and the Hylar when talking about Dwarves. Why not generic civilised Minotaurs?

I'm sure that you will get it if/when they put out a Dragonlance setting book. They haven't put out Eberron specific stuff yet, either, there's no warforged or shifters in the PHB. One setting at a time.

Tenmujiin
2015-11-05, 02:30 PM
I think it's mostly because they are only in the UA. They should gain popularity when they are released in an official book.

mephnick
2015-11-05, 04:24 PM
I think it's mostly because they are only in the UA. They should gain popularity when they are released in an official book.

Probably. I don't allow anything from UA and I think a lot of groups are similar.

JackPhoenix
2015-11-05, 05:52 PM

Because elves and dwarves are generic fantasy race...with the same stats, in one setting it's wood elf, in another it's Kagonesti elf, in yet another it's Valenar elf. Krynn minotaurs are pretty setting specific

zylodrizzt
2015-11-05, 11:10 PM
Personally its because I can't find a good use for knocking someone back instead of down because it seems to be a race that would favor melee.

Coyote81
2015-11-05, 11:33 PM
Personally its because I can't find a good use for knocking someone back instead of down because it seems to be a race that would favor melee.

Seems like a good way to get out of melee and move away for further ranged attacks. Minotaur ranger sounds good, can wield a heavy crossbow and use his/her horns at the same time.

zylodrizzt
2015-11-05, 11:45 PM
Right but at the same time you could have picked up cunning action or shocking grasp for the same reason. A few levels later you could pick up otherfeats that have better uses for your bonus action or again do the same thing. Its almost like you get several feats or spells or class features that only work 1/4 as good as any you could have gotten. So far I've not been able to justify this as a valid choice for just those reasons stated. Though I kinda like a barbarian minotaur just for flavor. Kinda want him to wield a reach weapon but call it a spiked chain have it be that he broke loose from slavery. Possibly multi class.

MaxWilson
2015-11-05, 11:54 PM

This, exactly.

Coyote81
2015-11-06, 10:05 PM
Right but at the same time you could have picked up cunning action or shocking grasp for the same reason. A few levels later you could pick up other feats that have better uses for your bonus action or again do the same thing. Its almost like you get several feats or spells or class features that only work 1/4 as good as any you could have gotten. So far I've not been able to justify this as a valid choice for just those reasons stated. Though I kinda like a barbarian minotaur just for flavor. Kinda want him to wield a reach weapon but call it a spiked chain have it be that he broke loose from slavery. Possibly multi class.

But all these things are class abilities that you get as a racial. It opens up a lot of other possibilities without having to multiclass and/or use feats. You can get all of your ASIs and still have a reasonably good pushback move, that can be used for lot of interesting situations. (My Minotaur wizard casts Create Bonfire all the time, and I find myself able to push mobs back into repeatedly, at least until they learn that it's not worth engaging me in combat and then I cast spells freely.)

It's not about doing it the best, it's about having versatility. More often it's just RP-ishly cool as well. Minotaur will never be the top optimized race, but it's still very good if not a bit out of place in various campaigns.