PDA

View Full Version : Finessable slashing weapon

bootzin
2015-11-05, 05:35 AM
Hey guys!

So, I was building my new character, and I was inspired by a pirate thematic, and I decided that it would be nice to go for Snowflake bard with a small dip in swashbucler and rogue (I don't think DFI would fit the character concept, and as this is not a fully optimized game, I think I'm good with inspire courage as it is)

But anyway, while I was choosing my equipment, I realized I had a problem: the cutlass, as it is in FRCS, is not a finessable weapon (and my pirate really does it a lot better with dex then str)

Going through a little more research, I found out that most of the non-light finessable weapons are piercing, and I was looking, not only for a slashing weapons for the snowflake, but a sword-like weapon, so that it fits the character's concept

Closest thing I could find were the dagger (I wanted something bigger :P) and the elven courtblade (now I wanted something smaller, lol). What I mean is: I don't want it to be too small, nor do I want it to be two handed, I want something that ressembles a cutlass, any suggestions there?

TL,DR: I want a slashing finessable sword-like weapon that ressembles a cutlass (so no dagger nor elven courtblade)

Deophaun
2015-11-05, 05:42 AM
Ask if you can use the PF feat Dervish Dance.

ShurikVch
2015-11-05, 05:56 AM
the cutlass, as it is in FRCS, is not a finessable weapon1) Since when? :smallconfused:
2) Was re-printed in the Stormwrack

sleepyphoenixx
2015-11-05, 06:04 AM
The cutlass was reprinted in Stormwrack as a light slashing weapon. Since FRCS is a 3.0 source the SW version takes precedence.

If you want a non-light slashing weapon you're going to have to invest in a feat. The rapier is the only martial one-hand weapon that's usable with finesse otherwise.
Finesseable slashing one-handed exotic weapons are limited to the Whip, Spinning Sword (SoS) and the Ribbonweave (MoE).

The other (and probably better) option is to get whatever one-handed weapon you want and making it Feycraft (DMG2). It reduces your damage (as if you were one size smaller) but lets you finesse any one-handed weapon. It also still let's you use it two-handed for Power Attack, which the Rapier and Spinning Sword don't do.

Darrin
2015-11-05, 06:07 AM
But anyway, while I was choosing my equipment, I realized I had a problem: the cutlass, as it is in FRCS, is not a finessable weapon (and my pirate really does it a lot better with dex then str)

A cutlass, even by 3.0 rules, is a finessable weapon for a medium-sized character. According to the FRCS, the size of the cutlass is "Small", and under the 3.0 rules, "If the weapon's size category is smaller than yours (such as a human using a Small weapon), then the weapon is light for you."

If you need more evidence of this, the Cutlass was reprinted in Stormwrack (p. 107) under 3.5 rules as... wait for it... a light weapon.

If that doesn't work for you, then use a Straightblade (Planar Handbook p. 69). It's a light martial slashing weapon that otherwise has the same stats as a shortsword.

Psyren
2015-11-05, 09:20 AM
If Pathfinder material is allowed:

1) You can use Effortless Lace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/effortless-lace) to turn the 1H slashing weapon of your choice into a light weapon.

2) You can use Weapon Versatility (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-versatility-combat) to treat the piercing weapon of your choice as a slashing weapon.

Thisguy_
2015-11-05, 10:17 AM
Since I've been working with them for quite a while, I feel the need to bring up the fact that Fists (Unarmed Attacks) can count as slashing weapons if you sink a couple feats into it, and are considered light, counting for Finesse. You can even enchant them with magic weapon properties and apply enhancement bonuses to your attack and damage rolls.

EDIT: I just realized you required the weapon sword-like. I should learn how to read. But hey, punching people in the face is something a pirate would do.

Dread_Head
2015-11-05, 10:20 AM
Use the stats of a sickle and refluff it as a cutlass? Not the most optimal but it works. Another good option is a Feycraft Longsword.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-11-05, 10:27 AM
As others have mentioned, the 3.5 version of the Cutlass is in Stormwrack and it is indeed a light slashing weapon. If for some reason you're unable to use that version, a Kukri is a decent light slashing weapon that should have an agreeable appearance. If you can afford to spend a feat on an exotic weapon, a Kaorti Resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) Kukri gets 18-20/x4, but it would need to be +1 or better from the start to not need constant maintenance.

Uncle Pine
2015-11-05, 10:32 AM
As others pointed out, a cutlass (Stormwrack) is a light weapon.

Another really cool finesseable slashing weapon is the dragonspits, from Monster Manual... IV, if I remember correctly. It's a 1h weapon, finesseable and counts as a light weapon when fighting with two weapons. Since it's 1h, you can even Power Attack with it. However, it's not as pirate-like as the cutlass.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-11-05, 10:34 AM
It is a exotic, which might be a problem, but it is a very fun weapon though; specially if you can spare a level for Exotic weapon master.

ekarney
2015-11-05, 10:47 AM
The Saber from Complete Warrior might be eligible, I'm AFB though so I'm not sure.

Uncle Pine
2015-11-05, 12:40 PM
It is a exotic, which might be a problem, but it is a very fun weapon though; specially if you can spare a level for Exotic weapon master.

Yes it is. I'm sorry I forgot to mention it. :smallredface: