PDA

View Full Version : New spell: Emulate Feat

Fronko
2007-05-27, 10:04 AM
HI everyone.

Not sure if anything like this exists, but I was just thinking about a spell, that would allow you to ... well, emulate any feat, that you meet the requirements for.

So, say you need to sneak into someplace, cast "Emulate Stealthy".

Big bad evil guy stands close to a cliff? Cast "Emulate Power Attack", followed by "Emulate Improved Bull Rush" and heroically charge him into oblivion, sacrificing yourself.

You break out of prison, wiht no chance to reach your equipment and the only weapon available is a gnome hooked-hammer? => "Emulate Exotic Weapon Proficiency Gnome Hooked-Hammer" and you are ready, to kick some ass in style.

So, I think, the intention is clear. You need a feat, you just emulate it. Of course, that is reeeeeally powerful and should probably only last for a few minutes at best. But do you think, it is feasible? What level should such a spell be? Divine or arcane?

I was thinking the following, but please feel free to comment:

Emulate Feat
School: I have no idea, really. Transmutation?
Level: Cleric 6
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 minute/caster level
Saving Throw: -
Spell Resistance: -

Additional thoughts: Maybe, being able to pick ANY feat is too strong. Maybe restrict to a single feat, but then lower the requirements? Or at least limit to a certain pool of say, three feats of which to choose from?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

BardicDuelist
2007-05-27, 10:07 AM
Maybe any feat that you meat the prerequisites for?

It would leave open the skill bonus ones, but take away some of the ones you'd worry about.

I would also lower the level. I was thinking three or four.

jindra34
2007-05-27, 10:07 AM
Probably should reduce duration to 1round/level to keep it balanced...

Fronko
2007-05-27, 10:15 AM
a) Of course, you can only pick feats, that you DO meet the requirements for. If you are not DEX 15, no impreved TWF for you. :)

b) I do not think, lowering the spell level is a good idea. After all, it IS pretty powerful. Unless we are talking of restricting it to just a few feats, I do not think, level 3 or 4 are sufficient for that.

c) Hmm, 1 round per CL? In that case, maybe we should reduce its level. Not sure, waiting for more opinions.

Another thought: What about generally allowing ANY skill you meet the prerquisites, but requiring to specify the feat, when you prepare the spell? Any good or would that make it useless?

BardicDuelist
2007-05-27, 10:23 AM
If you have to specify a feat, I would definately lower the level. If you don't I could see not doing so.

Just, judging from the lack of feats you'd meet the prerquisites for without it being a feat that you'd take, not being able to take this until 11th level is kind of harsh. The chamelon PrC gets a similar ability at a lower level.

At level 11, a +2 skill bonus on a few skills really isn't that useful to burn a spell that you could replace with somthing else which could kill hordes of small creatures with.

Fronko
2007-05-27, 10:27 AM
I
Just, judging from the lack of feats you'd meet the prerquisites for without it being a feat that you'd take, not being able to take this until 11th level is kind of harsh.

I am afraid, you lost me there. Is your basic statement, that this spell comes to late to be of any use? Or have I gotten it completely wrong?

Arbitrarity
2007-05-27, 10:39 AM
I think there's a third level spell (wizard/sorc, I think enchantment) in spell compendium that duplicates a fighter feat for 1 rnd/level.

Also, remember: no epic feats, can't be used as prerequisites.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-27, 10:50 AM
Range should technically read "Personal" and the Target should be "You", but that's just a nitpick.

BardicDuelist
2007-05-27, 11:27 AM
I am afraid, you lost me there. Is your basic statement, that this spell comes to late to be of any use? Or have I gotten it completely wrong?

Yes, that is what I meant.

TheSteelRat
2007-05-27, 11:37 AM
Actually, it's a 2nd lvl Wizard/Sorcerer spell that lasts 10/mins lvl, and gives the subject a feat from the Fighter Bonus List. Not bad for a standard action casting time.

That's right, 10 mins/lvl.

For a more "general" spell, increase one or two lvls and allow non-fighter feats as well?
For skill-only feats, same lvl?

Edit: Spell has a range of "touch", and requires you to have the feat's prereq's (though you can provide prereq's by feats gained through this spell, ie - Weapon Focus casting, then Weapon Specialization (if Fighter4), but you'll lose the Weapon Specialization when you lose Weapon Focus)

Fronko
2007-05-28, 05:28 AM
So, as there seems to be a similar spell already (I cannot confirm that, I don´t have the spell compendium), I will adjust according to the information we´ve got here:

Emulate Feat
School: Enchantment
Level: Cleric 4, Src/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M/DF
Casting Time: Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: Person touched
Duration: 1 minute/caster level
Saving Throw: -
Spell Resistance: -

The spell temporarily grants the caster the benefits of the feat he specifies when casting the spell. The caster must meet all requirements for the feat he intends to emulate. Other feat requirements may be met by a previous casting of emulate feat. As soon, as any of the requirements are lost for whatever reason, the spell ends immediately. This spell does not allow epic feats to be chosen.

So, I have lowered the spell level to 4 and allowed clerics, too. As for duration, I believ 10 mins/cl is definitely to high, while 1 round/cl appears to be too little in my eyes, so I stayed with 1 minute/cl.

Any more suggestions/critcism? Nitpicks are especially desired and encouraged. ;)

Reinboom
2007-05-28, 06:25 AM
You don't need the fighter feats clause, spells normally don't change wording based on the existence of another spell alone (except for spells that modify or counterspell each other).

A material or focus would be a hassle to deal with for something of this nature. Especially given it would be a rather handy answer in late levels when the spellcaster is stripped and goes "oops, here's looking at you eschew materials!" which is a 'neat' thing I would wish to do with the spell.

Something to note, the bonus feat from the aforementioned level 2 spell is on a touched creature as well, I don't believe it would cause too much of a disruption to do the same with this one. If you wish to find the spell - Heroics.

You may wish to make a clause about craft skills, fabricate does exist after all.
Also, this may work strangely with awkward feats, such as aberrant or devil-touched feats that change the character physically. Or even exalted feats or any similar 'strange' feat choice.

Fronko
2007-05-28, 07:03 AM
OK, I edited the fighter feat thing, makes sense. Material component/focus ... hmm, interesting idea ... I will let that sink in before adding it, just like the touch range suggestion. I am not saying, that I reject this idea, but I will just contemplate it for a little.

As for complication with 'strange' feats ... you obviously have access to more rule sources than I do. :) With so much options and additional goodies out there, I am sure there is always a way to bend/break the intention of just about anything you might put out there.

If you have an elegant way of formulating a restriction without getting too clumsy, I am all ears, though. :)

EDIT: OK, made it touch range. Just feels right. Thanks for the hint.

Triaxx
2007-05-28, 07:06 AM
I thought a round was a minute long? No matter.

You might consider adding this to a domain. I'd say certain feats require a focus. The aforementioned Hooked Hammer. So you can't emulate an exotic weapon focus, unless you have an exotic weapon to focus on.

Last_resort_33
2007-05-28, 07:09 AM
This is GREAT, (careful use of Rule 0 and Rule 7 should be applied at all times)

Triaxx
2007-05-28, 12:52 PM
*scratches head* Rule 7?

Fronko
2007-05-28, 04:40 PM
Check his sig.

Other than that, I am not sure what he is about, either.