PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What to Take Next (CORE 3 BOOKS ONLY)

LordOfCain
2015-11-05, 09:10 AM
Current Build:
Fighter 2/Cleric 1 (Magic and Destruction Domains)/Ranger 2/Horizon Walker 2 (Underground and Desert)
Str: 18
Con: 10
Dex: 15
Int: 12
Cha: 14
Wis: 9

Crake
2015-11-05, 09:14 AM
I say keep taking horizon walker to 6, and get the shifting terrain mastery for dimension door every 1d4 rounds.

Gnome Alone
2015-11-05, 09:18 AM
What are your feats, and what's your character's schtick?

Even without knowing that, I'm guessing that the one level of cleric was just a dip, so I'm thinking since this is a core melee build that it's kinda hard to beat sticking with Horizon Walker to get the Planar terrain mastery and its sweet, sweet 1d4 Dimension Door.

Telonius
2015-11-05, 10:21 AM
What are your feats, and what's your character's schtick?

Even without knowing that, I'm guessing that the one level of cleric was just a dip, so I'm thinking since this is a core melee build that it's kinda hard to beat sticking with Horizon Walker to get the Planar terrain mastery and its sweet, sweet 1d4 Dimension Door.

With Wis9, unless there are some Wis-boosting items involved (admittedly cheap to get a +2) he's not going to be casting anything directly. The domains do give some nice powers though.

ericgrau
2015-11-05, 10:47 AM
He can use cleric wands too. Just not cleric scrolls. Magic domain brings the wizard side. I suggest cure light wounds, invisibility and augury. For scrolls he can get every 1st level utility sor/wiz spell, since you have the int for that.

I don't understand the appeal of high level dimension door spamming except in a low wealth campaign. A wand can cover 95% of applications and lets him get 6 levels of other classes that don't have 5 weak levels. Hustling phantom steeds cover travel, or simply teleporting. But anyway he's already in for 2 levels, might as well go for 6 and save some gold.

Cain, what are your current feats? With your high strength and low con you might make a good reach tripper. Or a thrower transitioning into high level melee later on.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-11-05, 11:18 AM
I say keep taking horizon walker to 6, and get the shifting terrain mastery for dimension door every 1d4 rounds.
+1 to this. You might as well go all the way to 9, to get tremorsense and the resistances. After that... There's honestly not much that's worth jumping at. More Ranger, probably. Maybe Barbarian for some rage.

Yogibear41
2015-11-05, 11:26 AM
How does one even become a cleric with a wisdom of less than 11 :smallconfused: why not ranger 3 before going into horizon walker so you at least don't have to waste a feat on endurance. I would second getting the Dimension Door ability of Horizon Walker. Probably go for more fighter levels after that for weapon specialization or blackguard for a saves boost if you are evil. Your con is so low for a melee build though. What is your primary form of combat? ranged/melee?

Heck, take a level of sorcerer or assassin then go Dragon Disciple.

nedz
2015-11-05, 11:39 AM
You'll find lots of answers in this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?454470-Best-Class-to-do-Next-Core-Only-DMG-PHB-MM) thread.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-11-05, 12:53 PM
He can use cleric wands too. Just not cleric scrolls. Magic domain brings the wizard side. I suggest cure light wounds, invisibility and augury. For scrolls he can get every 1st level utility sor/wiz spell, since you have the int for that.

Scrolls require that you have the minimum ability score to use it that the spell in the scroll would normally demand. With Wis 9 he cannot use any cleric scrolls without UMD.
Good news is he has access to all Wizard and Cleric spell trigger items. Wands ahoy!

Hand_of_Vecna
2015-11-05, 09:16 PM

Ya more Horizon Walker, The next three levels won't be super strong, but nothing you could take is worth delaying Horizon Walker 6 for.

nedz
2015-11-05, 10:33 PM
May as well go HW 8 for

NI Dim Door
Immunity to alignment based spells and abilities (e.g. Blasphemy)
TremorSense

I wouldn't worry about the energy resistances — though you can grab them if you want with the final two levels.