PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Damage Reduction/bludgeoning monsters.

AroubasHOHO
2015-11-05, 09:24 AM
Hello guys, I am running a campaign with 3 players, a lvl 3 barbarian, a lvl 3 monk and a lvl 4 cleric.
The barbarian is getting pretty much op really really fast (with rage on his damage output is insane) and I am thinking of throwing some DR/bludgeoning monsters in there.
However, I am looking for some quite low CR monsters (golems are CR 10+) and I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions cause I can not start reading the whole monster's manual.

Thanx in advance.

Necroticplague
2015-11-05, 09:27 AM
Skeletons come to mind first.

Side note, most golems I can think of are /adamantine, not /bludgeoning.

AroubasHOHO
2015-11-05, 09:31 AM
Skeletons come to mind first.

Side note, most golems I can think of are /adamantine, not /bludgeoning.

Yes, I was referring to Clay Golems particularly sorry.

Flickerdart
2015-11-05, 10:08 AM
A minor xorn (CR 3) has DR 5/bludgeoning, as does a gibbering mouther (CR 5) - but 5 DR isn't really going to be enough if the barbarian's damage is really high.

Skeletons also have DR 5/bludgeoning, but where there are skeletons, there are necromancers! A lich has DR 15/bludgeoning and magic, and a bunch of other defenses. It's not too hard to make one from a sufficiently low-level guy - a 6th level kobold adept with a bead of karma and orange ioun stone has the requisite CL 11, and once he is lichified, he is a CR 5 guy (kobolds with NPC levels have a CR of level - 3, and lich is +2). The money and XP to craft the phylactery could be provided by a now-absent draconic patron.

Xervous
2015-11-05, 03:33 PM
A minor xorn (CR 3) has DR 5/bludgeoning, as does a gibbering mouther (CR 5) - but 5 DR isn't really going to be enough if the barbarian's damage is really high.

Skeletons also have DR 5/bludgeoning, but where there are skeletons, there are necromancers! A lich has DR 15/bludgeoning and magic, and a bunch of other defenses. It's not too hard to make one from a sufficiently low-level guy - a 6th level kobold adept with a bead of karma and orange ioun stone has the requisite CL 11, and once he is lichified, he is a CR 5 guy (kobolds with NPC levels have a CR of level - 3, and lich is +2). The money and XP to craft the phylactery could be provided by a now-absent draconic patron.

But that's only how it first looks to the players. The patron is just scrying every so often from afar, and after the PCs wreck the minion he's very intrigued by this possible threat... or new tool to acquire.

Flickerdart
2015-11-05, 03:43 PM
But that's only how it first looks to the players. The patron is just scrying every so often from afar, and after the PCs wreck the minion he's very intrigued by this possible threat... or new tool to acquire.
The nice thing about liches is that they are remarkably difficult to put away for good, and an adept isn't the sort of overpowering casters that DMs should be careful about using. So yes, you can have the patron take an interest, but you can also have the same kobold come back every time you want a foe with DR/bludgeoning.

Spore
2015-11-05, 03:55 PM
Leave him be. Pretty much all a barbarian can do is damage. Take that away from him and you have a very poor Ranger on your hands. Start to cater to the strengths of the other players. A standard monk is a nightmare vs. enemy casters, a cleric is great at purging lots of undead.

Skeletons also have DR 5/bludgeoning, but where there are skeletons, there are necromancers!

Second that idea. Liches make GREAT arch enemies. The monk can easily grapple the Lich while the Cleric can deal with the minion swarms and the barbarian can deal with bigger critters like bone golems, zombie ogres or some skeleton champions.

Have them have a face-off with the party destroying a big part of the liches's army. Then the lich will invest time and effort into learning the group's weaknesses. Tempt the cleric into loosing his powers. Swarm the barbarian with lots and lots of useless small critters (they don't care if you do 1d6+7 damage per swing or 1d12+468) and use appropriate spells to rip the Ki out of the monk.