PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer fantasy advice

InaVegt
2007-05-27, 10:18 AM
I'm thinking of starting with warhammer now I've finally got access to money again, however I haven't got that much money (for now). Now both Skaven and Bretonnia appeal to me.

Which one should I choose and are there any nice tactics for them?

Matthew
2007-05-27, 10:22 AM
Ooh. So long since I have played (Second Edition, I think, whenever they released Mighty Empires anyway). I'm going to vote Bretonnia.

Pilum
2007-05-27, 11:13 AM
If money's the issue it has to be Bretonnia. Besides, they're more interesting and satisfying - if perhaps slower - to paint up. If done properly, that is. Then again I'm biased, Skaven have never really appealed to me; not seriously, anyway.

Glaivemaster
2007-05-27, 11:37 AM
As far as I know (though I gave up playing a while back after GW constantly hiked up their prices, so I couldn't afford anything new :smallmad: ), Bretonnia are a very straightforward charge in and kill sort of army, with lots of well armoured knights. Skaven are more subtle, and generally use (underhanded) tactics and pure outnumbering to defeat their opponents. I'd say go for Skaven personally, since they're a lot more fun to play with, I reckon

Eldpollard
2007-05-30, 10:26 AM
Go for skaven! I'm completely biased of course, being a proud skaven player. But we have 2 point models of mediocrity! And explosive cannons, explosive machine guns, explosive flame throwers and explosive rifles. Surely more fun than a horse?

onasuma
2007-05-30, 11:14 AM
Surely if there are money issues, hordes of 2pt models arent really a good idea?

snyggejygge
2007-05-31, 12:16 PM
Under the current rules Bretonnia is a better army than Skaven & if money is an issue, then Bretonnia is by far the better choice.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-05-31, 12:44 PM
Under the current rules Bretonnia is a better army than Skaven & if money is an issue, then Bretonnia is by far the better choice.

It was only online for a moment, but I saw the animated banner that was your sig...dude...that was awesome...:smallbiggrin:

Narmoth
2007-05-31, 03:41 PM
I suggest you go for what you manage to make the most appealing fluff about. With the fluff you get what you want to paint in such and such way and why. You also get a alltogether different feeling for the models tha laso affect how you play.
There's a lot difference between sending Sir Roland, Vielder of Durandalt, Seeker of Death Lord of Douarnez in a battle with a chaos dragon than send a "grailknight with improved WS and L" into the same battle
The same goes for scaven. :elan:

snyggejygge
2007-05-31, 05:23 PM
It was only online for a moment, but I saw the animated banner that was your sig...dude...that was awesome...:smallbiggrin:

Yeah I got warned for it, but imo it was just something fun, glad you liked it though.

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-05-31, 07:56 PM
Yeah I got warned for it, but imo it was just something fun, glad you liked it though.

Heh, yeah, I was thinking something like that would get removed because of the profanity so I downloaded the gif and was very glad that it worked still. If you created that, my hat is off to you.

snyggejygge
2007-06-01, 04:46 AM
Not me, a friend of mine, but IŽll tell him that you liked it, perhaps it will inspire him to do a few more of those.

PS: Sorry for going offtopic.

Prustan
2007-06-01, 10:55 PM
Never had a good supply of models or a decent supply of money, so I'd go with Brettonia too. Skaven never appealed to me personally, you need hordes of the little sneaky things(insert insult of choice if you wish) to get a decent army (which means more time and money to paint them all), and war machines are always expensive.

Cyrano
2007-06-01, 11:03 PM
How much money do you HAVE?

Brettonia:

Pros:
Cheap as free to buy.
Deadly knights.
Knights.
Super knights.
Flying knights.
You get to slaughter the peasants!

Cons:
Boring as sleep to play.
Charge, hack, sla****y lance stab.
Oh, whats that, your -33333billion+ armour save knights are immune to cannonballs? That's not beardy cheese at ALL!

Skaven
Pros:
Wow, these guys are like, wow, better than sex.
For example, their Warp Lightning cannon can go from hitting your own general in the face and imploding him to hitting your enemy in the front with the equivalent of a mild slap. Or the other way around.
They have guys who are rats, on gatling guns, who you can order to keep firing until they explode.
Chyeah.
These guys are awesome.

Cons:
You will never, ever have enough models.
Ever.
EVER.
And GW is expensive.

Moneywise, Bretonnia. Funwise, SKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN!!!

JellyPooga
2007-06-02, 08:21 AM
How much money do you HAVE?

Brettonia:

Pros:
Cheap as free to buy.
Deadly knights.
Knights.
Super knights.
Flying knights.
You get to slaughter the peasants!

Cons:
Boring as sleep to play.
Charge, hack, sla****y lance stab.
Oh, whats that, your -33333billion+ armour save knights are immune to cannonballs? That's not beardy cheese at ALL!

Skaven
Pros:
Wow, these guys are like, wow, better than sex.
For example, their Warp Lightning cannon can go from hitting your own general in the face and imploding him to hitting your enemy in the front with the equivalent of a mild slap. Or the other way around.
They have guys who are rats, on gatling guns, who you can order to keep firing until they explode.
Chyeah.
These guys are awesome.

Cons:
You will never, ever have enough models.
Ever.
EVER.
And GW is expensive.

Moneywise, Bretonnia. Funwise, SKAVENSKAVENSKAVEN!!!

I don't think I could have said it better myself. :smallbiggrin:

additional: Skaven get to sacrifice their own troops on the altar of victory (both voluntarily and accidentally). How Bad-a is that? ("Ooo look, my large unit of 50 Skavenslaves is in combat with your unit of 10 Knights of 0+ Armour Save...Plague them all. Make your fancy armour saves now fool!!! Mwahahahahahaha!!!! What was that? All my slaves died too? Yeah, so what? that whole unit cost the same points value of 1 of your knights. Sorry, what was that second thing again? Make break tests for my nearby Clanrats and Stormvermin? No.") You also get Assassins as Skaven too and that's just cool.